PDA

View Full Version : fishing boat goes missing...former Steeler on board

D Rock
03-01-2009, 03:12 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AkB9ppwgD4aO4ys5S_V0bLFDubYF?slug=txnflp layersmissing&prov=st&type=lgns)

CLEARWATER, FLORIDA (TICKER) —The Coast Guard is conducting a search in the Gulf of Mexico for a fishing boat with two NFL players on board.

According to Clearwater’s ABC Action News affiliate, a 21-foot fishing boat left the area at approximately 6:30 a.m. on Saturday morning and did not return at its scheduled time later in the day.

Citing a call from the Coast Guard dispatcher, the television station reported that two of the passengers are Detroit Lions defensive end Corey Smith and Oakland Raiders linebacker Marquis Cooper.

The boat, which had four people on board, was reported missing at about 1:30 a.m. Officials stated that gulf waters were “extremely choppy” and believe that the boat is “in distress.”

wishing the best for this to be resolved quickly and with good news

Djfan
03-01-2009, 04:00 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-missingboaters-nfl&prov=ap&type=lgns

Agent: 2 NFL players among Fla. missing boaters

CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP)—Two NFL players are among a group of boaters reported missing off Florida’s Gulf Coast.

Sports agent Ron Del Duca said his client, Detroit Lions defensive end Corey Smith, and Oakland Raiders linebacker Marquis Cooper were two of the four boaters who were reported missing Sunday morning by the Coast Guard.

The Coast Guard issued a statement saying the boaters were on a 21-foot vessel that left Clearwater Pass on Saturday morning for a fishing trip and did not return as expected. Crews used a helicopter and a 47-foot motor-life boat to search a 750-square mile area west of Clearwater Pass on Sunday.

costanza2k1
03-01-2009, 05:55 PM
That's horrible news, hopefully they turn up...

Flasteel
03-01-2009, 07:17 PM
I hate to be negative but taking a 21-foot boat out 50 miles into the gulf is not a smart idea. When a frontal system is headed your way it becomes flat-out stupid. How do you not check the weather report and then decide to post-pone the trip? I hope these guys are all okay.

anger 82&95
03-01-2009, 08:46 PM
I hate to be negative but taking a 21-foot boat out 50 miles into the gulf is not a smart idea. When a frontal system is headed your way it becomes flat-out stupid. How do you not check the weather report and then decide to post-pone the trip? I hope these guys are all okay.I spent the majority of my younger years fishing San Diego and Mexican waters in a 20ft skiff and the weather was always the first variable that was factored into the “fish or don’t fish” equation.

ramblinjim
03-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Either way, I pray these guys are alright.

anger 82&95
03-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Either way, I pray these guys are alright.Agreed, I keep checking for updates, but so far nothing new.

Flasteel
03-01-2009, 11:40 PM
I just saw the 10 o'clock news here and there is absolutely no sign of them. There was no distress signal and they were stocked with flares and life preservers, but the Coast Guard searched over 3,500 square miles within a 750 square mile grid. There is almost no chance they are adrift. It's going down into the 40's tonight so if they are in the water...well, I hate to say it but it doesn't look good for these four guys.

I did know a guy who was rescued by a news helicopter after three days in the gulf and this came after he was swimming with no preserver for over a day. It wasn't this cold and rough though.

stlrz d
03-02-2009, 12:06 AM
I hate to be negative but taking a 21-foot boat out 50 miles into the gulf is not a smart idea. When a frontal system is headed your way it becomes flat-out stupid. How do you not check the weather report and then decide to post-pone the trip? I hope these guys are all okay.

I don't think they went out 50 miles...I think that's where the search was focused based on wind and currents.

It's not looking good for these guys at all. I feel bad for them and their loved ones.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-02-2009, 01:06 AM
Hope these dudes are alright. That would be a rough death. :shock:

Flasteel
03-02-2009, 07:37 AM

I don't think they went out 50 miles...I think that's where the search was focused based on wind and currents.

It's not looking good for these guys at all. I feel bad for them and their loved ones.

The Coast Guard spoke with family members who told them where they were most likely headed and provided GPS numbers for the spot...50 miles out. There is a ledge there that makes for some great grouper and snapper fishing. I'm sure they extended their search parameters based on currents and wind speed as well. The only good news is that it didn't get as cold as they said it would last night. Still, two nights out there...it would be miracle at this point if they're in the water.

stlrz d
03-02-2009, 11:47 AM

The Coast Guard spoke with family members who told them where they were most likely headed and provided GPS numbers for the spot...50 miles out. There is a ledge there that makes for some great grouper and snapper fishing. I'm sure they extended their search parameters based on currents and wind speed as well. The only good news is that it didn't get as cold as they said it would last night. Still, two nights out there...it would be miracle at this point if they're in the water.

I saw that they gave GPS coordinates but I didn't see it in correlation to 50 miles out. *shrugs* maybe I misread.

Oviedo
03-02-2009, 11:56 AM

I heard on the radio this morning that the father of one of the ex-USF players is a retired Navy Captain. He said the boat they went out on was essentially unsinkable with bouyant foam filled compartments built into the hull. That would unlikely help if the capsized due to a big wave or something and threw them into the water.

Here is a link to the boat thehad. Not sure I go 50 miles into the Gulf in something as small as a 21' boat.

http://www.evergladesboats.com/boats/210cc.php

costanza2k1
03-02-2009, 01:54 PM
The Coast Guard has reportedly found an overturned boat with a "person clinging to it" off the Gulf of Mexico.
It's said to be Nick Schuyler, who was fishing with Corey Smith, Marquis Cooper, and Will Bleakley late Saturday. Hopefully Schuyler has an idea of where the others might be. The search has been going on for over 24 hours.
Source: Bay News 9

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/player ... ?sport=NFL (http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL)

Oviedo
03-02-2009, 02:27 PM
The Coast Guard has reportedly found an overturned boat with a "person clinging to it" off the Gulf of Mexico.
It's said to be Nick Schuyler, who was fishing with Corey Smith, Marquis Cooper, and Will Bleakley late Saturday. Hopefully Schuyler has an idea of where the others might be. The search has been going on for over 24 hours.
Source: Bay News 9

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/player ... ?sport=NFL (http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL)

It was just a breaking news segment here in FL. Only one person found clinging to the boat. Three still missing including both NFL players.

Iron Shiek
03-02-2009, 02:43 PM
The Nick Schuelyer (sp?) guy confirmed though that all the men on the boat were wearing life jackets...no help versus the cold...but hopefully it helps them...

snarky
03-02-2009, 04:18 PM
If they have been in the water since Saturday, it's almost certain hypothermia will have taken them by now.

Very sad.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Sirius just reported that Cooper might have been found.

Now they just said the coast guard won't confirm it. A local TV station made the report.

Iron Shiek
03-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Sirius just reported that Cooper might have been found.

Now they just said the coast guard won't confirm it. A local TV station made the report.

Don't you just hate that crap. They even mentioned on Sirius that the local TV media informed the family (falsely might I add) that Cooper had been found. WTF!?

BradshawsHairdresser
03-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Coast Guard called off the search a few hours ago...It is almost certain that the 3 missing men are dead by now...

Mister Pittsburgh
03-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Coast Guard called off the search a few hours ago...It is almost certain that the 3 missing men are dead by now...

Very sad. :cry:

Djfan
03-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Deeply sad. My best to the families.

Flasteel
03-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Absolutely horrible news...I was hoping like a lot of people were, for a better ending. I'm really curious to hear the survivor's story because there were a few really bizzare decisions that if not made would have undoubtably led to a different outcome.

RIP gentlemen.