PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine Mock Draft, Version 1.0

Oviedo
03-01-2009, 12:50 PM
This is the year we get well on DL and OL. Although alreays predict the unpredictable from Colbert.

1. Ron Brace, NT, 6’3” 330lbs, BC. Second best NT in the draft and that is becoming a premium position with the increasing number of 3-4 teams. Probably a slight overdraft but when you pick as low as we do you have to do that to get the players you need.

2. Kraig Urbik, OG/OT, 6’6”, 332lbs., Wisconsin. Big powerful interior lineman who could possibly play RT in an emergency. IMO will turn out to be the best Guard in this draft.

3a. Fenuki Tupou, OT, 6’6” 322lbs, Oregon. Powerful RT type.

3b. Keenan Lewis, CB, 6’1”, 208lbs, Oregon State. Could contribute early in the nickle. Assumes Bmac leave.

4..AQ Shipley, C 6’1”, 300lbs, Penn State. Solid Center to compete with Stapleton as follow on to Hartwig.

5. Joe Burnett, CB/KR, 5’11”, 185lbs, Central Florida. Playmaker who could play both CB and Safety. Can provide improvement to return game immediately.

6. Zach Potter, DE, 6’7” 280lbs, Nebraska. Developmental 3-4 DE. Very much a Kiesel type player in terms of potential.

7. Jordon Norwood, WR, 5’11”, 180lbs, Penn State. Steady receiver to man the slot with the ability to get yards after the catch

7. Will Johnson, DE, 6’5” 290lbs, Michigan. Another development DL to add depth.

MeetJoeGreene
03-01-2009, 01:39 PM
That is an excellent mock draft.

I don't know if some of the players will fall that much, but I would like it if it panned out that way.

WoodleyofTroy
03-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Something bothers me about Ron Brace playing next to B.J. Raji and reaping the benefits. How much did Brace gain from Raji taking up two blockers in the middle on a consistent basis. Of course he could still be good, but just not sure I'd make the gamble in the 1st, especially when he is a reach anyways.

steelcityrules!!
03-01-2009, 02:35 PM
I would personally rather take evander hood over brace in round 1. he would instantly provide depth at both end positions and is more of a fit for our 3-4 system. Brace isn't the bowling-ball NT we need like casey hampton or haloti nata, he's more of a 4-3 tackle IMO.

maybe grab a guy like terrance taylor out of michigan with our 2nd pick in the 3rd to back up casey?

SteelerNation1
03-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Something bothers me about Ron Brace playing next to B.J. Raji and reaping the benefits. How much did Brace gain from Raji taking up two blockers in the middle on a consistent basis. Of course he could still be good, but just not sure I'd make the gamble in the 1st, especially when he is a reach anyways.
Casey Hampton played next to Shawn Rodgers at Texas. Keep that in mind.

WoodleyofTroy
03-01-2009, 03:50 PM

True, but Hampton was the Raji in this case. But I got the point. Like I said, not saying it won't mean Brace won't turn out. Just a concern.

Oviedo
03-02-2009, 08:50 AM

True, but Hampton was the Raji in this case. But I got the point. Like I said, not saying it won't mean Brace won't turn out. Just a concern.

They probably both benefitted from having the other next to him. The reality is that Brace is probably the best fit for our NT position after Raji and he won't last long.

BTW--at this point in their careers I'd take Shaun Rodgers over Hampton in a second.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-02-2009, 01:15 PM
DITTO!

Oviedo
03-02-2009, 01:45 PM
DITTO!

and vice versa

grotonsteel
03-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Nice Mock. All positions are addressed. I also like the selection of the players.

I have question about Ron Brace though. I am assuming Tyson Jackson is not available at 1.32. If Gilbert is available at 32 would you still take Ron Brace ahead of Gilbert or as a matter of fact ahead of Duke,Mack and Gilbert?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Nice Mock. All positions are addressed. I also like the selection of the players.

I have question about Ron Brace though. I am assuming Tyson Jackson is not available at 1.32. If Gilbert is available at 32 would you still take Ron Brace ahead of Gilbert or as a matter of fact ahead of Duke,Mack and Gilbert?

I would have to trade back for both Brace & Gilbert. I don't like either at #32. Brace's workout was not that impressive and he has a back issue. I might consider Hood. Gilbert's level of competition is my question. I have him in my mock. His combine workout might get him overdrafted but lets hope it isn't the Steelers who fall into the trap at #32. I like Mack at #32. Seeing him play and the workouts agianst Raji & Brace, I still think he will be considered in the 1st. I don't like Robinson at #32. Unger might sneek into the 1st. The only OT left on the board who I might consider is Britton. Beatty is 2nd round talent in my eyes but if there is a run on OT he could be in the 1st. Of course, there could be a miracle happen and Smith falls. If he does, I think the Steelers will turn in their pick before the finish saying, "The Steelers are on the clock!" I just don't think ever team ahead of us looks at imaturity the same way and he doesn't make it out of the Top 20. My wish list is Jackson, Davis, Britton, & Mack. I think all are gone with maybe Mack being still on the board. If Mack is gone, I would trade back and go to plan B.

MaxAMillion
03-05-2009, 01:38 PM
I like most of the players listed, I just don't like taking Brace at 32. He isn't that good (real stiff). You don't want to force your first round choice out of need. There are other potentila NT that can be taken in later rounds. I would rather see the Steelers draft a corner or a CB/S (like the Smith kid from Utah) over Brace. There should also be plenty of interior OL available who are more worthy of being chosed 32nd.

The top priority with the first round pick is taking someone who will become a starter in time. Brace is a reach at 32 because there is a real possibility that he becomes a bust. Take Brace in round 2 if he is still there. That would make for a better draft.

RuthlessBurgher
03-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Drafting the Smith kid from Utah would give me Scott Shields flashbacks. Nobody wants that. :HeadBanger

Oviedo
03-05-2009, 02:40 PM

I think you have to get one DE and NT in this draft. Developmental DEs can be had in the middle rounds with guys like Kyle Moore, USC and Zach Potter, Nebraska. I just think there will be a run on NTs starting in Round 2 and 3 and as late as we pick we could very easily miss out.

As far as Gilbert specifically, I think I would still go Brace at 1.32 because NT is a harder position to get a player for. Mack might make me consider him at 1.32. Duke will be around until mid 2nd Round IMO plus I would rather have Urbik at 2.64.

I've posted the following from SCI in another thread but it seems relavant to what we are discussing so here goes again:

LOOKING TO THE DRAFT

As my analysis shows, LeBeau’s system is unique enough from other 34 teams, thus requiring different types of players both in physical stature and abilities.

Defensive ends are smaller and more agile in order to play in LeBeau’s demanding zone-blitz system. While someone such as Tyson Jackson fits all 34 systems, players that are slightly undersized, like a Zach Potter (277lbs) or a Kyle Moore (272lbs), fit that niche area where they are not quick enough for most 43 teams, nor large enough to play in a conventional 34. Players such as these fit line coach John Mitchell’s unselfish philosophy well, and can still be found as Day 2 draft selections. And since Brett Keisel and Aaron Smith see so much playing time, it would be beneficial to draft a player with the talent to fit into a rotation or be used in the Steelers’ nickel package. Either way, that should add up to significant playing time and a nice rest for both players.

Nose tackle is also a concern, but with Hampton only seeing half the snaps, and Hoke a capable backup, it’s not as important as finding another defensive end -- for this year at least.

Every team is looking for a pass-rushing 34 OLB, and with more teams now playing this defense, drafting a good one will now require using a premium selection. Long gone are the days of drafting Joey Porter and Jason Gildon in the 3rd round. Pittsburgh will also need to look for players with the athletic ability to drop in zone coverage since this is a requirement in its system. Look for prospects that performed well at the NFL combine who demonstrated the necessary agility in the drills to make the transition. As an example, Clay Matthews would be a perfect schematic fit for the Steelers.

Steelers inside linebackers must also be able to rush the quarterback. This is what sets LeBeau’s scheme apart, and because of this Pittsburgh uses converted OLBs who have demonstrated the ability to act as the 4th or 5th pass rusher. Lawrence Timmons, Larry Foote and James Farrior are all converted college OLBs. Some Day 2 prospects to target would be Jason Williams, Lee Robinson, Zack Follett, Moise Fokou, and Kaluka Maiava.

Throw in some aggressive zone cover corners that can tackle like Darius Butler, and there you have it.

Look for more detailed positional breakdowns coming up.

grotonsteel
03-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Nice Read about the DEs and the D personnel....

Where is Darius Butler projected? Late Rd1 -Mid Rd2 ?

AkronSteel
03-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Drafting the Smith kid from Utah would give me Scott Shields flashbacks. Nobody wants that. :HeadBanger

Man....whats up RB? You're giving me nightmares with that stuff! I never wanted to hear the name Scott Shields again.....let alone have to think about him desecrating the #47 in black and gold. Something always bothered me about him wearing Mel's # from day one and then we see how he turned out! :HeadBanger

Thanks RB.....thanks ALOT! :)

Oviedo
03-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Nice Read about the DEs and the D personnel....

Where is Darius Butler projected? Late Rd1 -Mid Rd2 ?

Depending on what you read he is Late Round 1 to late Round 2. Seems like a good player that if they decide to go CB at 1.32 he should be there.

Even if Bmac leaves however I still rate DL and OL as a higher priority at 1.32 than CB.

Oviedo
03-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Updated draft

1. Ron Brace, DL 6’3” 330lbs, BC. Second best NT in the draft and that is becoming a premium position with the increasing number of 3-4 teams.

2. Kraig Urbik, , OG/OT, 6’6”, 332lbs., Wisconsin. Big powerful interior lineman who could possibly play RT in an emergency.

3a. Derrick Williams, WR, 6’, 194lbs., PSU. Appears to be dropping but if he is available here he has proven to be a solid versatile talent who performs better on the field than combines. He could be Hines II.

3b. Fenuki Tupou, OT, 6’6” 322lbs, Oregon. Powerful RT type.

4. Zach Potter, DE, 6’7” 280lbs, Nebraska. Developmental 3-4 DE. Very much a Kiesel type player in terms of potential.

5. Joe Burnett, CB/KR, 5’10”, 185lbs, Central Florida. A Deshea Townsend-like playmaker that could play both CB and Safety. Execellent improvement to return game immediately.

6. Frank Summers, RB, 5’10”, 240lbs, UNLV. Short yardage power pback who can play RB and FB.

7. Will Johnson, DE, 6’5” 290lbs, Michigan. Another development DL to add depth.

7. Dallas Reynolds, OC, 6’5”, 328lbs, BYU. Leader of the OL for one of the best offenses in the country.

BigBen2112
03-12-2009, 12:51 AM

B/c he's an inch taller than Rogers-Cromartie and can play both corner spots and safety?

*scratches head*

BigBen2112
03-12-2009, 12:55 AM
Updated draft

1. Ron Brace, DL 6’3” 330lbs, BC. Second best NT in the draft and that is becoming a premium position with the increasing number of 3-4 teams.

2. Kraig Urbik, , OG/OT, 6’6”, 332lbs., Wisconsin. Big powerful interior lineman who could possibly play RT in an emergency.

3a. Derrick Williams, WR, 6’, 194lbs., PSU. Appears to be dropping but if he is available here he has proven to be a solid versatile talent who performs better on the field than combines. He could be Hines II.

4. Zach Potter, DE, 6’7” 280lbs, Nebraska. Developmental 3-4 DE. Very much a Kiesel type player in terms of potential.

5. Joe Burnett, CB/KR, 5’10”, 185lbs, Central Florida. A Deshea Townsend-like playmaker that could play both CB and Safety. Execellent improvement to return game immediately.

6. Frank Summers, RB, 5’10”, 240lbs, UNLV. Short yardage power pback who can play RB and FB.

7. Dallas Reynolds, OC, 6’5”, 328lbs, BYU. Leader of the OL for one of the best offenses in the country.

You plan on the Steelers getting LB depth in UDFA or next year?

Also, gotta consider looking at draft trends...the Steelers have only not drafted a LB in 3 drafts since 1990...19 drafts and 16 drafts where they took at least one linebacker? They also cut last years' selection. They need OLB depth and an ILB starter to groom behind Farrior.

Jason Phillips.

Chadman
03-12-2009, 02:45 AM
Chadman is killing a bit of time here, so he'll throw together a mock for you guys to pull apart...

ROUND 1-
CB DJ MOORE VANDERBILT 5'10" 182lbs

With McFadden leaving, and Townsend getting old, it might be time to grab an 'elite' CB prospect to groom. This guy adds one thing the Steelers CB's have been missing for years- Big Play Ability. Also a good punt returner. Remember- Mike Tomlin wanted a CB in his first draft in Pittsburgh- it might be time...

ROUND 2-
OG HERMAN JOHNSON LSU 6'7" 365lbs

Chadman's been thinking about this guy....he showed up poor at the combine so Chadman had kinda scrapped him as an option. BUT...Chadman has had to re-convince himself to remember that the combine is not football. On the field- Johnson was pretty damn good. And a guy this size, having played in a big college, it's hard to not at least THINK about it. OG is a pretty big need for the Steelers. The last OG the Steelers got from LSU went alright...

ROUND 3a)-
OT XAVIER FULTON ILLINOIS 6'4" 300lbs

Willie Colon & Max Starks are the starters next season. Both are currently signed for 1 year. Only Tony Hills is behind them. Fulton offers all the ability the Steelers require at OT, but is raw. With a year to learn behind Starks/Colon, he might be ready to step in the year after.

ROUND 3b)-
NT TERRENCE TAYLOR MICHIGAN 6'0" 320lbs

Casey Hampton needs a young back-up. Taylor has played in a big college program, has the right body, and the right attitude to play 3-4 NT. College team mate of LaMarr Woodley.

ROUND 4)-
C A.Q. SHIPLEY PENN ST 6'1 297lbs

His short arms really hold him back from going higher, but once again, if you look past 'measurables' & watch him PLAY, you notice that this guy is good. Certainly worth a look here, and with Hartwig in his last year, gets a shot on the roster.

ROUND 5)-
ILB FRANTZ JOSEPH FLORIDA ATLANTIC 6'2" 243lbs

Given that James Harrison hasn't extended his deal, and James Farrior is almost at pension age, depth at LB is something of a need. Athletic with good size & good stats to back it up.

ROUND 6)-
DE JEREMY NAVARRE MARYLAND 6'3" 285lbs

The DL is getting old & needs an injection of youth to keep it going. Good size, has experience as a 3-4 DE in college.

ROUND 7a)-
DE ZACH POTTER NEBRASKA 6'7" 280lbs

While we are grabbing one 3-4 DE, why not add another? Potter has excellent height & can grow into a solid 3-4 DE in the NFL.

ROUND 7b)-
WR QUAN COSBY TEXAS 5'9" 196lbs

Solid, but short WR. Older than you want him to be. Those things will drop him down the draft charts. But the dude can PLAY. Good blocker- good hands & a playmaker. If he never becomes more than a slot WR- what have you lost by drafting him in Round 7??

RuthlessBurgher
03-12-2009, 01:39 PM

B/c he's an inch taller than Rogers-Cromartie and can play both corner spots and safety?

*scratches head*

Well, the only other Steeler defensive back who was that big that I could think of (other than Shields) was Mel Blount. And I wasn't going there.

I acknowledge that the feeling is somewhat irrational, but Scott Shields tends to be the first picture in my mind when I see a 6'4" DB. When Pat Watkins came out a few years ago, I got the same first impression. It is the rare DB who can succeed at such a height.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Chadman is killing a bit of time here, so he'll throw together a mock for you guys to pull apart...

ROUND 1-
CB DJ MOORE VANDERBILT 5'10" 182lbs

With McFadden leaving, and Townsend getting old, it might be time to grab an 'elite' CB prospect to groom. This guy adds one thing the Steelers CB's have been missing for years- Big Play Ability. Also a good punt returner. Remember- Mike Tomlin wanted a CB in his first draft in Pittsburgh- it might be time...

ROUND 2-
OG HERMAN JOHNSON LSU 6'7" 365lbs

Chadman's been thinking about this guy....he showed up poor at the combine so Chadman had kinda scrapped him as an option. BUT...Chadman has had to re-convince himself to remember that the combine is not football. On the field- Johnson was pretty damn good. And a guy this size, having played in a big college, it's hard to not at least THINK about it. OG is a pretty big need for the Steelers. The last OG the Steelers got from LSU went alright...

ROUND 3a)-
OT XAVIER FULTON ILLINOIS 6'4" 300lbs

Willie Colon & Max Starks are the starters next season. Both are currently signed for 1 year. Only Tony Hills is behind them. Fulton offers all the ability the Steelers require at OT, but is raw. With a year to learn behind Starks/Colon, he might be ready to step in the year after.

ROUND 3b)-
NT TERRENCE TAYLOR MICHIGAN 6'0" 320lbs

Casey Hampton needs a young back-up. Taylor has played in a big college program, has the right body, and the right attitude to play 3-4 NT. College team mate of LaMarr Woodley.

ROUND 4)-
C A.Q. SHIPLEY PENN ST 6'1 297lbs

His short arms really hold him back from going higher, but once again, if you look past 'measurables' & watch him PLAY, you notice that this guy is good. Certainly worth a look here, and with Hartwig in his last year, gets a shot on the roster.

ROUND 5)-
ILB FRANTZ JOSEPH FLORIDA ATLANTIC 6'2" 243lbs

Given that James Harrison hasn't extended his deal, and James Farrior is almost at pension age, depth at LB is something of a need. Athletic with good size & good stats to back it up.

ROUND 6)-
DE JEREMY NAVARRE MARYLAND 6'3" 285lbs

The DL is getting old & needs an injection of youth to keep it going. Good size, has experience as a 3-4 DE in college.

ROUND 7a)-
DE ZACH POTTER NEBRASKA 6'7" 280lbs

While we are grabbing one 3-4 DE, why not add another? Potter has excellent height & can grow into a solid 3-4 DE in the NFL.

ROUND 7b)-
WR QUAN COSBY TEXAS 5'9" 196lbs

Solid, but short WR. Older than you want him to be. Those things will drop him down the draft charts. But the dude can PLAY. Good blocker- good hands & a playmaker. If he never becomes more than a slot WR- what have you lost by drafting him in Round 7??
chadman, I usually like your stuff... but, i pretty much hate the front end of this draft...

1st - a "cover" corner that Darren Sproles might be taller than... I've seen him listed at 5'8" by his school... what was his official Combine height?
2nd - I'd vomit if we even considered this lard ass. He'll be a great run blocker (if he can get a paw on you) who can't pass protect or pull or trap..

Beyond that point, you recover nicely...

mshifko
03-12-2009, 03:38 PM
swap alphonso smith for ron brace, change your cornerback pick to a DL, and you have one hell of a draft my man

grotonsteel
03-12-2009, 05:31 PM
This is the year we get well on DL and OL. Although alreays predict the unpredictable from Colbert.

1. Ron Brace, NT, 6’3” 330lbs, BC. Second best NT in the draft and that is becoming a premium position with the increasing number of 3-4 teams. Probably a slight overdraft but when you pick as low as we do you have to do that to get the players you need.

2. Kraig Urbik, OG/OT, 6’6”, 332lbs., Wisconsin. Big powerful interior lineman who could possibly play RT in an emergency. IMO will turn out to be the best Guard in this draft.

3a. Fenuki Tupou, OT, 6’6” 322lbs, Oregon. Powerful RT type.

3b. Keenan Lewis, CB, 6’1”, 208lbs, Oregon State. Could contribute early in the nickle. Assumes Bmac leave.

4..AQ Shipley, C 6’1”, 300lbs, Penn State. Solid Center to compete with Stapleton as follow on to Hartwig.

5. Joe Burnett, CB/KR, 5’11”, 185lbs, Central Florida. Playmaker who could play both CB and Safety. Can provide improvement to return game immediately.

6. Zach Potter, DE, 6’7” 280lbs, Nebraska. Developmental 3-4 DE. Very much a Kiesel type player in terms of potential.

7. Jordon Norwood, WR, 5’11”, 180lbs, Penn State. Steady receiver to man the slot with the ability to get yards after the catch

I would say Steelers need to get a LB somewhere. Brinkley SC or Philips from TCU.

grotonsteel
03-12-2009, 05:36 PM
If Ron Brace is a bit of a reach in 1st how about drafting a player like Miller, Baker or Sammie Hill in 3b? Is there a huge drop in talent among these players?

BigBen2112
03-12-2009, 10:54 PM

*scratches head*

Well, the only other Steeler defensive back who was that big that I could think of (other than Shields) was Mel Blount. And I wasn't going there.

I acknowledge that the feeling is somewhat irrational, but Scott Shields tends to be the first picture in my mind when I see a 6'4" DB. When Pat Watkins came out a few years ago, I got the same first impression. It is the rare DB who can succeed at such a height.

I agree with you there...but its about the individual players.

Im not a huge Smith fan as it is...just mentioning the height thing.

Oviedo
03-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Updated draft

You plan on the Steelers getting LB depth in UDFA or next year?

Also, gotta consider looking at draft trends...the Steelers have only not drafted a LB in 3 drafts since 1990...19 drafts and 16 drafts where they took at least one linebacker? They also cut last years' selection. They need OLB depth and an ILB starter to groom behind Farrior.

Jason Phillips.

Maybe in Round 5 or 7 depending on who is there and I would bring in a couple of UDFA but the Top 5 rounds in my mock are pretty solid how I would go.

When do you think Phillips would likely go? Isn't he injured?

steelblood
03-13-2009, 03:13 PM
I would personally rather take evander hood over brace in round 1. he would instantly provide depth at both end positions and is more of a fit for our 3-4 system. Brace isn't the bowling-ball NT we need like casey hampton or haloti nata, he's more of a 4-3 tackle IMO.

maybe grab a guy like terrance taylor out of michigan with our 2nd pick in the 3rd to back up casey?

I have to disagree with this analysis (Hood vs. Brace in round one). Hood is the guy who is more suited to a 4-3 (DT) than a 3-4 (DE). He does not play with great strength or athleticism. He is not going to command double teams or be able to hold up against them like Aaron smith does. He is a technique, effort player that belongs inside in a 4-3 system where he can try to shoot gaps and chase the play down the line. Brace would be good as the NT in either a 4-3 (like Grady Jackson) or a 3-4. He has the brute strength and size to eat up a double team.

Taylor is a decent NT prospect but he is a little small (short and light) for the position. He has played heavier in the past though.

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2009, 03:33 PM

I have to disagree with this analysis (Hood vs. Brace in round one). Hood is the guy who is more suited to a 4-3 (DT) than a 3-4 (DE). He does not play with great strength or athleticism. He is not going to command double teams or be able to hold up against them like Aaron smith does. He is a technique, effort player that belongs inside in a 4-3 system where he can try to shoot gaps and chase the play down the line. Brace would be good as the NT in either a 4-3 (like Grady Jackson) or a 3-4. He has the brute strength and size to eat up a double team.

Taylor is a decent NT prospect but he is a little small (short and light) for the position. He has played heavier in the past though.

:Agree

I never understood the Steeler fans who wanted Ziggy Hood. He seemed 4-3 all the way. I have no idea where he would fit in our defense. Brace on the other hand, would make a good 3-4 NT. I still don't think, however, that Brace would be a value pick at 1.32, though.

Oviedo
03-15-2009, 08:38 AM

:Agree

I never understood the Steeler fans who wanted Ziggy Hood. He seemed 4-3 all the way. I have no idea where he would fit in our defense. Brace on the other hand, would make a good 3-4 NT. I still don't think, however, that Brace would be a value pick at 1.32, though.

Everything I have read projects Hood for the 4-3 DT role. He is a penetrator who is probably not stout enough versus the run to play in the 3-4.

Brace had a great Pro Day. I still think he would be a solid pick. He will almost definitely be gone within the next 10 picks after 1.32 so I don't see him as that much of a reach.