PDA

View Full Version : Salary Cap

Gochimp
03-01-2009, 02:12 AM
Where do we stand after all the activity of the last three days?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-02-2009, 09:43 AM
According to one site I watch:

Edited again to reflect the closer exclusive rights tender amounts of Carey Davis & Jeremy Parquet, Also addded Chris Kemoeatu contract and adjusted the new contract for Sean McHugh. Steelers roughly just 3.5 million or more under the cap at this point.

MeetJoeGreene
03-02-2009, 09:56 AM

Edited again to reflect the closer exclusive rights tender amounts of Carey Davis & Jeremy Parquet, Also addded Chris Kemoeatu contract and adjusted the new contract for Sean McHugh. Steelers roughly just 3.5 million or more under the cap at this point.

That ain't much. More restructuring/moves coming -- hopefully contract for Max and Deebo.

papillon
03-02-2009, 10:02 AM

That ain't much. More restructuring/moves coming -- hopefully contract for Max and Deebo.

I fail to see how Silverback's contract will help the cap situation. He is going to get a pay raise and a substantial one, I would think. His contract alone will probably eat up the last 3.5 million and then some. Wouldn't a Max Starks long term deal be the way to clear some space for this year? Rather than paying him 8.5 million which all counts against the cap, get a long term deal in place that spreads out the cap hit over 3 or 4 years?

I'm not Omar Khan and I don't play him on TV, but, he's about to earn his salary.

Pappy

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Here are a few ways that I can see us freeing up some cap space:

1) The most obvious is to sign Max to a long term deal. Something like 5 years @ $30M with a $10M SB - lower the hit this year to around $4.5M.

2) Hines Ward - Nobody likes to talk about this because the thought of losing him is tough, but his cap hit this year is $7.8M at a salary of $5.8M. He has to be willing, but give him an extra year and a couple of mil. Shift some salary into SB and lower his hit to around $5M.

3) Release one of our DEs - It is widely expected that we will pick a 3-4 DE with one of our top 4 picks. Although Eason and Kirschke both played well last year, they are backups with cap friendly contracts and we are looking to get younger. Cutting Travis gives us an extra $1.15M.

4) Release Deshea. This is really only an option if we re-sign McFadden. Ike holds down one spot, BMac on the other side, and Gay at nickel. Then we draft a CB within the first four rounds and we are okay. Deshea saves us $1.8M under the cap. Or, if they feel comfortable with either Lewis or Madison at CB, cut Deshea whether you sign McFadden or not.

5) Cut Tyrone Carter. Not much savings ($745K), but if you think Mundy or Lewis (plays both S and CB) is ready to step in then saves a few bucks. This would be more of a personnel move than a cap move.

It is really hard to analyze this closely since most sites that I used to look at for this info are down. The key factor is remaining length of contract and I have to go by memory for the most part. Anyways, needless to say, these are ways to create some space without touching a starter.

Things can get more interesting if we pick a guy like Jackson in the first. What if the team decides that he should start? That could make Keisel expendable. I'm not sure how much time FWP has left, but could this be the year he does not return? Thats the fun of the off season.

Djfan
03-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Unless we surprise and let a big name go, it looks like we have just nickels and dimes to save. I have said it before, but don't be surprised if we don't have FWP by the time the season starts. He has high trade value.

This whole cap issue is why the tagging of Starks was so surprising to me. If I were him I wouldn't take a long term signing because of the potential of an uncapped year next year. He may make a lot more money by sticking to his tag salary, and then face an uncapped year after that. If the CBA gets finalized he may regret not signing a long term deal if he didn't sign one.

Miller and Deebo are just too important to who we are to not get those done. Someone is going to pay for their raise.

MeetJoeGreene
03-02-2009, 10:45 AM
The other thing is to restructure Ben... give him this year's salary in a signing bonus.

MaxAMillion
03-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Starks will want more than 6 million per year. He is probably looking for at least 7 million per year.

pfelix73
03-02-2009, 11:26 AM
He's getting over $8 million this year, I would think he'd want that. I would.

Gochimp
03-02-2009, 12:22 PM
This a good link

http://www.steelersdepot.com/blog/2009/ ... p-numbers/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/blog/2009/02/early-2009-steelers-salary-cap-numbers/)

If this is correct, there is still some room.

Lebsteel
03-02-2009, 03:48 PM
This a good link

http://www.steelersdepot.com/blog/2009/ ... p-numbers/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/blog/2009/02/early-2009-steelers-salary-cap-numbers/)

I am sure that I don't quite understand how all the numbers work and what the rules are, but, looking at those numbers, if we want to sign Harrison long-term, we will need to sign Max to a long-term contract saving maybe $1.5 mil/yr., and restructure Ward ($2 mil). Then I guess we'd have to trade/release Parker and Foote, who could be considered a luxury when you have Mendy and Timmons waiting to start. If we do those things, we will have approx. approx. $13 mil under the cap. That would allow us to sign Harrison who will gain at least $6 mil/year and possibly sign Miller who would be another $2.5 mil/year. That would leave us about $4.5 to sign rookies and one mid-level FA. Any other moves like cutting Carter, Warren, etc... are just small change.

Of course, the Steelers may have no intention of signing Harrison long-term since he will be 31 before the season starts. It will be interesting....

Oviedo
03-02-2009, 04:03 PM
This a good link

I am sure that I don't quite understand how all the numbers work and what the rules are, but, looking at those numbers, if we want to sign Harrison long-term, we will need to sign Max to a long-term contract saving maybe $1.5 mil/yr., and restructure Ward ($2 mil). Then I guess we'd have to trade/release Parker and Foote, who could be considered a luxury when you have Mendy and Timmons waiting to start. If we do those things, we will have approx. approx. $13 mil under the cap. That would allow us to sign Harrison who will gain at least $6 mil/year and possibly sign Miller who would be another $2.5 mil/year. That would leave us about $4.5 to sign rookies and one mid-level FA. Any other moves like cutting Carter, Warren, etc... are just small change.

Of course, the Steelers may have no intention of signing Harrison long-term since he will be 31 before the season starts. It will be interesting....

4 years/$30-32M is more than fair for Deebo. If he wants more than that he will probably Faneca himself right out of town.

Lebsteel
03-02-2009, 04:31 PM
This a good link

4 years/$30-32M is more than fair for Deebo. If he wants more than that he will probably Faneca himself right out of town.

Yea, I think so too. I'm not sure that we would even do that given his age. Does he deserve it? Absolutely! Will the Steelers do it? History probably says no.

calmkiller
03-02-2009, 04:51 PM
OL Sean Mahan Dead Money $2,400,000.00

:cry: :cry: :cry:

pfelix73
03-02-2009, 04:54 PM
What about players such as Berger, the other long snapper, Leftwich. These guys just to name 3 aren't on the roster or won't be on the roster.

Also, according to a site I saw, Batch is projected to over $3 million this year? That can be cut if he re-structures it again.

I would think we have enough room to maneuver.

Lebsteel
03-02-2009, 06:01 PM
What about players such as Berger, the other long snapper, Leftwich. These guys just to name 3 aren't on the roster or won't be on the roster.

Also, according to a site I saw, Batch is projected to over $3 million this year? That can be cut if he re-structures it again.

I would think we have enough room to maneuver.

Batch is a UFA, so he is owed nothing. Same with Leftwich and Berger. However, Greg Warren is due to count $782,000 against the salary cap. If he is released, I think we save his salary which is $650,000. I also think Travis Kirschke would probably be released, saving $1,150,000.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Starks will want more than 6 million per year. He is probably looking for at least 7 million per year.

If you look at Starks contract as an average of $7M, you can still get him at $5M or so this year. Values can escalate in future years.

pittpete
03-02-2009, 11:27 PM
DT Casey Hampton $3,075,000.00 $6,652,000.00

Ridiculous for a 2 down guy

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-03-2009, 01:15 AM
DT Casey Hampton $3,075,000.00 $6,652,000.00

Ridiculous for a 2 down guy

Yes, but despite his pre season conditioning issues, he did have a good year. His play on his two downs was a good part of why teams often found themselves in third and long.

NorthCoast
03-05-2009, 11:48 PM
This site suggests we have a little more wiggle room:

Steelers Salary Chart Now $5.8 Million Under Cap by maryrose on Mar 3, 2009 4:40 PM EST 25 comments

First off, there is no way my chart (listed below) is 100 percent accurate. Only Omar Khan and the FO have all the figures accurate to every detail. I posted everything to the best of my understanding, but please know that I tinker with this often and will make future tweaks as I learn them. But I can't be too far off, one way or the other, so it's worth posting every once in a while.

I have us now at $5.8 Million under the cap, now that an extra $4 million was added by the NFL as a market adjustment recently. The NFL cap is $127 million. Some items to note. While the team has decided to go into 2009 with basically the same offensive line, there is virtually no future weight against the cap in 2010. We need to eat Sean Mahan's remaining $2.4 million and now Kendall Simmons is costing us $4.6 this year with the cut. The bad new is that we are spending $20 million on the starting offensive line this year alone (counting Simmons and Mahan), a line very few people are thrilled about. The good news is that only Kemo is a guaranteed expense in 2010 and beyond. We're paying now (i.e. Simmons) to clear the slate in the near future.

I only counted the top 53 salaries against the cap. In the offseason, the NFL doesn't make you count all the extras just going to camp. Since 53 is what we will end up with, my figure of $121,195,527 is as good as I can guess at the moment. If anyone has more accurate information, please let me know. For example, I guessed at Kemo getting a base of $3,200 in 2009 with $800K as his prorated bonus. If you know something different with him (or anyone for that matter), please holler. The updated spreadsheet follows.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2009/3/3/779402/steelers-salary-chart-now

Honestly, Ward needs to restructure. Wow! Almost $20M for the OL....wonder what an all-pro OL would cost these days compared with our Walmart brand.