PDA

View Full Version : With inactivity, any chance Nate & BMac resign?

Mister Pittsburgh
03-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Since there isn't tons of talk of Nate or BMac visiting places and some of the places they were supposed to visit signing players at their positions, any chance their value is dropping back down to the Steelers price range? I would take either back for the right price.

Any chance they sign a one or two year deal to raise their value?

Or are we stuck until they strike a deal with Harrison to see what is left to work with?

SteelStallion
03-01-2009, 01:13 AM
I think there's a chance. What probability I don't know. But I'm guessing they haven't given up on signing them, esp. McFadden.

papillon
03-01-2009, 01:24 AM
I think they have abetter chance of signing Nate than McFadden. Nate is competing against Laveranous (sp?) Coles, Marvin Harrison and TJ Houshmanzadeh. The Lions signed a veteran receiver today (I can't think of his name.). I don't believe that Nate is better than any of the three mentioned above, so, you have to think they'll all get signed before he does. By that time, Nate is going to be just looking for work and he might as well work for the defending SB champions.

We'll see, but the market for a solid #3 WR doesn't seem to be exploding.

Pappy

Mister Pittsburgh
03-01-2009, 01:47 AM
Another guy I haven't even heard mentioned visiting anyone is Byron Leftwich. Wonder if the lack of interest could make a secure gig backing up Ben on a 3 year deal is interesting to think about for him now.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-01-2009, 02:17 AM
Another guy I haven't even heard mentioned visiting anyone is Byron Leftwich. Wonder if the lack of interest could make a secure gig backing up Ben on a 3 year deal is interesting to think about for him now.

Heard the (*)s are interested in him as a backup ... :wink: :wft :twisted:

Jooser
03-01-2009, 08:50 AM
I hope Lefty stays put. I definitely don't want to see him a *Cheat. But, it makes sense they are interested after trading away Cassell.

steelz09
03-01-2009, 09:48 AM
I think Nate is gone but the Steelers are trying to sign bmac.

Reason being, they spent a 2nd rounder on sweed. So, they're definitely not going to dish out #2 WR money for Nate to be a #3 WR. Sweed will do just fine in the #3 role next year and I think the Steelers know this.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-01-2009, 09:52 AM

Heard the (*)s are interested in him as a backup ... :wink: :wft :twisted:

You know what, I just turned my PC on to log on here and say I bet the Pats sign him. Not so much for his backup abilities, which are good. But for the information he can give them on the Steelers since we have a very very good shot at being in the playoffs again. Totally their sneakyassed M.O.

I was watching the ticker on the bottom of the screen during the Pitt hoops game and saw the Cassel deal go by and that popped into my head. They always seem to sign a guy or two from teams that have a good shot at facing them in the playoffs.

I hope he resigns with the Steelers cause I don't want him up there giving them any secrets as to what we are trying to accomplish.

RuthlessBurgher
03-01-2009, 10:25 AM
I think there is a chance either Nate or BMac resign (one or the other but not both). I think Nate is more likely since he expressed more of a willingness to stay originally, has more competition out of the open market, and will likely cost less. Still, if I had to choose, I would prefer BMac, but I would happily welcome Nate back.

I think Leftwich truly did enjoy his time here, and if he cannot work out a deal in which he can legitimately compete to be a starter, this is the place where he would like to be a backup. He would prefer to be with Tomlin and Ben over Belichick and Brady.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-01-2009, 10:41 AM
I think there is a chance either Nate or BMac resign (one or the other but not both). I think Nate is more likely since he expressed more of a willingness to stay originally, has more competition out of the open market, and will likely cost less. Still, if I had to choose, I would prefer BMac, but I would happily welcome Nate back.

I think Leftwich truly did enjoy his time here, and if he cannot work out a deal in which he can legitimately compete to be a starter, this is the place where he would like to be a backup. He would prefer to be with Tomlin and Ben over Belichick and Brady.

You would hope Lefty would feel that way. I wonder if the thoughts of backing up Tom Brady who could go down game one with his knee giving out and throwing to Wes Welker and Randy Moss in an offensive scheme where Matt Cassel looks good could override backing up Big Ben who plays through a seperated shoulder and throwing to Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes? I hope not. I would LOVE to have him back as our #2. I didn't stroke out quite as much every time Ben laid on the ground as I would if Batch was #2.

Djfan
03-01-2009, 11:44 AM
I hope he resigns with the Steelers cause I don't want him up there giving them any secrets as to what we are trying to accomplish.

Bruce A doesn't run an offense that Belichek's grandmother can't figure out. It's very far from complex and very predicable. BB doesn't need Lefty to tell him anything that he can't figure out in 4 minutes of watching film.

Oviedo
03-01-2009, 12:09 PM

I really hope they don't bring Nate back. Bringing him back will just slow the development of Sweed. If Sweed picks it up and plays to his potential bringing Nate back means we just overpaid for a #4 receiver.

I'd like to have Bmac back but I wouldn't break the bank on him. He has a ton of potential but has been slow to reach that potential. That has to be a concern. I'd like to have him back primarily because it would mean that we take a CB out of the equation at 1.32 and totally focus on DL.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-01-2009, 01:45 PM

Bruce A doesn't run an offense that Belichek's grandmother can't figure out. It's very far from complex and very predicable. BB doesn't need Lefty to tell him anything that he can't figure out in 4 minutes of watching film.

Didn't necessarily mean the plays as much. More like Ben calling out blocking assignments and audibles and such.

feltdizz
03-01-2009, 04:17 PM

You would hope Lefty would feel that way. I wonder if the thoughts of backing up Tom Brady who could go down game one with his knee giving out and throwing to Wes Welker and Randy Moss in an offensive scheme where Matt Cassel looks good could override backing up Big Ben who plays through a seperated shoulder and throwing to Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes? I hope not. I would LOVE to have him back as our #2. I didn't stroke out quite as much every time Ben laid on the ground as I would if Batch was #2.

Lefty didn't have on any Steeler gear at the parade which was an obvious sign he wants to start somewhere.. I don't see him leaving the Steelers to be a back up somewhere else.

I think regarding Nate and BMac... Nate may end up back in Pittsburgh. Way too many legit WR's on the market to gamble on a #3 WR who is still a gamble as a #2.

I really think FA is all about signing big names to get the fans of losing teams excited...