PDA

View Full Version : With 5 more teams

SteelCrazy
02-28-2009, 10:43 PM
switching to the 3-4, that means almost half the league is now copying our success.

Do we grab a LB at 32 now that the pickings for our style of LB will be thin from now on? It will not suprise me at all.

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
02-28-2009, 10:44 PM
I wonder if someone on here knows all the 3-4 teams now--Can I get a list?

RuthlessBurgher
02-28-2009, 10:53 PM
switching to the 3-4, that means almost half the league is now copying our success.

Do we grab a LB at 32 now that the pickings for our style of LB will be thin from now on? It will not suprise me at all.

No, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they targeted a d-lineman who projects to the 3-4 at #32, because they will be just as difficult to locate, and are more of an immediate need with all of our d-line starters and back-ups all over the age of 30 right now, with contracts that are expiring in the next year or two.

Jooser
02-28-2009, 11:10 PM

No, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they targeted a d-lineman who projects to the 3-4 at #32, because they will be just as difficult to locate, and are more of an immediate need with all of our d-line starters and back-ups all over the age of 30 right now, with contracts that are expiring in the next year or two.

I think you're right Ruthless, a DL in the first could be just what the doctor ordered.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/moneysmiley.gif

Lebsteel
02-28-2009, 11:36 PM

I think you're right Ruthless, a DL in the first could be just what the doctor ordered.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/moneysmiley.gif

OK, who would the doctor order? I agree with that thought, but after Raji and Jackson, I have trouble getting excited about another first round DL. I think Ziggy Hood would be a little reach at 32 and I really think Ron Brace would be also. I really like the idea of us taking a chance in Rd. 3 with Sammy Lee Hill or Dorell Scott as our future NT or taking Hood or Gilbert in Rd. 2

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
02-28-2009, 11:48 PM
I guarentee we move up this year. Hopefully for T. Jackson LSU--iF He falls to 22 or higher he will be a Steeler!

Lebsteel
03-01-2009, 12:07 AM
I guarentee we move up this year. Hopefully for T. Jackson LSU--iF He falls to 22 or higher he will be a Steeler!

I'd love to have Jackson, but I would not want to give up the picks to get to 22. Maybe 25 or lower. To get to 22 from 32 (190 points) we'd have to give up our 2nd round pick (270) and get a low round pick from them, because our 3rd round pick is only worth 116 points and our 4th is worth 44.

Discipline of Steel
03-01-2009, 09:02 AM
What in the name of Sam Hill?!? Round 3 supplemental

Chadman
03-01-2009, 09:44 AM

Not sure if it's 'comprehensive', but...

1. Steelers
2. Pats
3. Dolphins
4. Broncos
5. Chargers
6. Jets
7. Browns
8. 49ers
9. (possibly) Chiefs
10. (possibly) Lions
11. Packers

Did Chadman miss anyone?

Oviedo
03-01-2009, 10:20 AM
With the number of teams now playing the 3-4 the hardest position to get a player for will be NT. That is why it would not surprise me at all to see us take Ron Brace at 1.32.

I've lectured on this board before about how playing the 3-4 eliminates half the potential player pool every year in the draft on the DL because of the unique requirements of playing NT in the 3-4 and the difficulty in finding DTs who can move to 3-4 DE.

We took actions to stabilize the OL by keeping Starks and Kemo and tendering Colon. We have done nothing to provide much needed depth on the DL. I now think that DL is our highest priority for Round 1. If we don't resign Bmac then CB could be up there too.

RuthlessBurgher
03-01-2009, 11:47 AM

1. Steelers
2. Pats
3. Dolphins
4. Broncos
5. Chargers
6. Jets
7. Browns
8. 49ers
9. (possibly) Chiefs
10. (possibly) Lions
11. Packers

Did Chadman miss anyone?

Only the Ravens. But they suck at defense anyway. :wink: :ratsuck

feltdizz
03-01-2009, 04:21 PM
9 of the 12 teams are in the AFC... not surprised but it will play out like usual. Teams will get frustrated with the amount of work it takes to draft successfully for the 3-4 and will get seduced by the DE's in the draft and go back to the 4-3.

We have seen this 3-4 copycat before.. it never last.

RuthlessBurgher
03-01-2009, 05:08 PM
9 of the 12 teams are in the AFC... not surprised but it will play out like usual. Teams will get frustrated with the amount of work it takes to draft successfully for the 3-4 and will get seduced by the DE's in the draft and go back to the 4-3.

We have seen this 3-4 copycat before.. it never last.

Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and New England were the only teams to have sustained success with the 3-4 in the past decade (San Diego was also decent for a little while using a 3-4) but it seems to be a fad for most other teams. The coaches want to run a 3-4 because they see that the top ranked defenses in the NFL run the 3-4, but their GM's are so used to drafting 4-3 players, they cannot help themselves. So eventually the coaches who tried to install the 3-4 get fired, and they go back to the 4-3. Predictable.

Jom112
03-01-2009, 06:42 PM

1. Steelers
2. Pats
3. Dolphins
4. Broncos
5. Chargers
6. Jets
7. Browns
8. 49ers
9. (possibly) Chiefs
10. (possibly) Lions
11. Packers

Did Chadman miss anyone?

Only the Ravens. But they suck at defense anyway. :wink: :ratsuck

Cowboys play the 3-4 as well. With Chris Canty gone to the Giants they will definitely be looking to replace him.

Also I believe the Bronocs have moved away from the 3-4 as their primary defensive package. They might go back to it now the McDaniels is head coach, but I'm not sure...

Northern_Blitz
03-02-2009, 11:38 AM

I think that it's harder to find linemen for a 3 -4 than LBs. So, if we're worried about not getting guys I'd go DL (which is also a bigger need for us IMO).