PDA

View Full Version : Pats trade Cassel to KC; No details yet about what NE gets

RuthlessBurgher
02-28-2009, 02:11 PM
This didn't really fit in the FA signing thread, since it is a trade, so I will give it its own thread.

Chiefs complete trade for Cassel

The Kansas City Chiefs have found their starting quarterback. NFL Network’s Adam Schefter reports the Chiefs acquired QB Matt Cassel from the New England Patriots in a trade.

The teams have agreed on compensation, but no details of the deal were immediately available.

They were talking about it on NFL Network. Schefter speculated that perhaps it would be KC's 2nd round pick this year and a conditional pick or picks next year. Steve Wyche brought up the possibility of Larry Johnson, Tony Gonzalez, or Brian Waters being included in leiu of some of those draft picks. Lindsay Soto noted that it was KC's Bernard Pollard who knocked out Tom Brady last year...if it weren't for that hit, Cassel would not have played last year and therefore would not be a Chief right now.

WoodleyofTroy
02-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Sh*t like this is why I wouldn't be opposed to continue to select Quarterbacks in the draft if they were BPA from 4th round on instead of drafting guys we're just going to release after a year anyways.

grotonsteel
02-28-2009, 02:35 PM
It will be interesting how much KC gave for Cassel.

Is Cassel the real deal or is he better than Tyler Thigpen?

Mister Pittsburgh
02-28-2009, 03:04 PM
KC is stupid. Thigpen was a good QB for them. They should have focused on building up a good defense instead of worrying about getting a QB.

WoodleyofTroy
02-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Matt Cassell and Mike Vrabel to the Chiefs for the 34th overall pick.

I think it was a good trade for both teams. Chiefs already had tons of top picks from last year that still need grooming, bringing in a guy like Vrabel has value.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Patriots | Hold still... Cassel situation just got more complicated
Sat, 28 Feb 2009 10:30:21 -0800

Updating previous reports, Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports a third, undisclosed team has entered the picture surrounding QB Matt Cassel. The trade parameters are in place between the New England Patriots and Kansas City Chiefs, but it is not a definite yet that he is being shipped to Kansas City. Schefter says Cassel is being traded, to which team has yet to be determined.

Not sure if this is bogus or not.

RuthlessBurgher
02-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Here's a thought...with the Chiefs sending the 34th overall to New England, that means that New England now has 4 picks on day one of the draft (1.23, 2.2, 2.15, 2.26), plus they just moved nearly $20 million off their cap (the $14+ million franchise number for Cassel and I believe around $5 million for Vrabel). Could they use a few of those picks and that cap space to get Julius Peppers to be a 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE in their hybrid defense? Maybe enough to go after Ray Lewis in free agency too?

Imagine a front 7 of:

Ty Warren-Vince Wilfork-Richard Seymour
Julius Peppers-Jerod Mayo-(a Ray Lewis/Tedy Bruschi veteran timeshare)-Adalius Thomas

Not to mention that the trade means that Tom Brady's infected knee must be healthy again (or they wouldn't have swung the trade), so he will be back throwing to Moss and Welker, plus they have Fred Taylor now to split carries with Laurence Maroney, Sammy Morris, and Kevin Faulk, and they added Chris Baker as another TE to team up with Ben Watson...ugh...I think I just made myself sick.

steelz09
02-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Just when I thought the *pats were getting old and on the down swing. Stupid teams give them draft picks to reload their talent.

Damnit.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Just when I thought the *pats were getting old and on the down swing. Stupid teams give them draft picks to reload their talent.

Damnit.

The Pats use todays current NFL systems to their full capacities where I feel like the Steelers leave some resouces untapped. Although a trade brought us one of the best RB we ever got, Bettis, you never see us trade. We let big time players just leave via FA instead of being prepared one year earlier with a replacement and trade that player for draft picks. Case in point, what if the Steelers aren't even close to Harrison and feel they can't afford him beyond this coming season. Wouldn't it make sense to cash in now by trading him to one of these teams converting to the 3-4 and get a few high draft picks so we can patch our holes on the D Line or God forbid actually upgrade the O line?

Same thing with Faneca, had we traded him one season previous to him leaving via free agency and signing a huge contract, couldn't we have traded him for a higher pick than a third which we 'may' get or even multiple higher round picks?

Tough to argue with the Steelers as they are proven winners, but I feel they could get more bang for their buck sometimes.

WoodleyofTroy
02-28-2009, 04:22 PM
This basically makes up for the Pats losing their 1st round pick last year due to spygate.

Starlifter
02-28-2009, 05:07 PM
there is a strong possibility this may end up as one of the biggest blunders of all time. Cassel was solid last year no doubt BUT he just had to manage a strong team with playmakers. I'm sorry, there has to be a reason he never started a game since H.S. We'll see how this goes but it could go south very quickly.....

TCB
02-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Here's a thought...with the Chiefs sending the 34th overall to New England, that means that New England now has 4 picks on day one of the draft (1.23, 2.2, 2.15, 2.26), plus they just moved nearly $20 million off their cap (the $14+ million franchise number for Cassel and I believe around $5 million for Vrabel). Could they use a few of those picks and that cap space to get Julius Peppers to be a 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE in their hybrid defense? Maybe enough to go after Ray Lewis in free agency too?

Imagine a front 7 of:

Ty Warren-Vince Wilfork-Richard Seymour
Julius Peppers-Jerod Mayo-(a Ray Lewis/Tedy Bruschi veteran timeshare)-Adalius Thomas

Not to mention that the trade means that Tom Brady's infected knee must be healthy again (or they wouldn't have swung the trade), so he will be back throwing to Moss and Welker, plus they have Fred Taylor now to split carries with Laurence Maroney, Sammy Morris, and Kevin Faulk, and they added Chris Baker as another TE to team up with Ben Watson...ugh...I think I just made myself sick.

I had the same thoughts as you.

If Brady is healthy, the Pats are the team to beat.

fordfixer
02-28-2009, 06:10 PM
"RuthlessBurgher"]This didn't really fit in the FA signing thread, since it is a trade, so I will give it its own thread.[/color]

Chiefs complete trade for Cassel

The Kansas City Chiefs have found their starting quarterback. NFL Network’s Adam Schefter reports the Chiefs acquired QB Matt Cassel from the New England Patriots in a trade.

The teams have agreed on compensation, but no details of the deal were immediately available.

They were talking about it on NFL Network. Schefter speculated that perhaps it would be KC's 2nd round pick this year and a conditional pick or picks next year. Steve Wyche brought up the possibility of Larry Johnson, Tony Gonzalez, or Brian Waters being included in leiu of some of those draft picks. Lindsay Soto noted that it was KC's Bernard Pollard who knocked out Tom Brady last year...if it weren't for that hit, Cassel would not have played last year and therefore would not be a Chief right now.

Ahh the perks of being a Mod :lol:

Iron Shiek
02-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Hmm...this whole deal sounds shady...here's a blog posting from ESPN.com...somehow Floyd Reese has done a complete 180? Everything the Cheaters do just seems shady to me. Rip off Raiders for Randy Moss. Spygate. Then getting off the hook for spygate. They get punished for spygate by losing first round pick...yet still manage to keep a top pick in the draft. Now it seems its going the other way though. How can Cassel be such a valued prospect, now all of a sudden he's only worth a 2nd rounder. Oh well, I think he's worth a third rounder or lower, but something just doesn't sound right.

Did Chiefs rob Patriots with 34th pick?

February 28, 2009 2:58 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

Cassel

The 34th overall selection in this year's draft sure sounds like a bargain for the Kansas City Chiefs. That's all they gave the New England Patriots to obtain quarterback Matt Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel.

Sound a little cheap to you?

About seven weeks ago, I explored Cassel's trade value with a pair of analysts who've been around the NFL block a time or two.

Floyd Reese was one of them. The former Tennessee Titans general manager was working for ESPN at the time.

Now he's senior football adviser with the Patriots, coming aboard when Scott Pioli left to accept the Chiefs' GM job.

Here's what Reese said back then: "It would have to be multiple choices and very high choices to get Cassel. Two first-rounders, or a one and a two and a three ... It'll be something very, very expensive."

Cassel hadn't been franchised yet, but it was common knowledge the tag was coming. So the element of unloading $14.65 million in guaranteed money was considered in the responses.

I also spoke with Michael Lombardi of the National Football Post.

Lombardi has a strong relationship with many in Patriots management, including coach Bill Belichick, from their days together with the Cleveland Browns. Lombardi was the first to report the Patriots were going to place the franchise tag on Cassel.

Lombardi claimed Cassel's starting price -- not including Vrabel -- should be the draft choices the San Diego Chargers received for Eli Manning.

At the 2004 draft, the New York Giants acquired Manning's rights for Philip Rivers' rights along with a third-round pick that year and their first- and fifth-round picks in 2005.

"Whatever the Giants gave up for Eli has to be the market," Lombardi said. "It's got to be a first-rounder, and not the 22nd or 24th pick in the draft. It has to be a substantial one and one that keeps on giving."

feltdizz
03-01-2009, 03:52 PM
This is real shady...

I don't see how you trade Cassel to KC one year after KC put Brady out of commission...

almost like KC apologized for Brady by taking Cassel.. who is a scrub system QB IMO..