PDA

View Full Version : All Pro OG, Brian Waters wants out of KC

HardlinerKC
02-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Stating that he was disrespected by new head coach Todd Haley, after being rebuffed by new GM Scott Pioli for a personal meeting to discuss his future role with the club, OG Brian Waters claims to have stopped Haley in the hallway to talk about the team's personnel and future direction.

According to Waters, Haley said, "I could sign guys off the street and win 2 games again". Waters has now asked for a trade, joining disgruntled RB Larry Johnson, and all-pro TE Tony Gonzalez who has since relaxed his demands but still thought to be heading elsewhere.

So, file all this away for a possible future trade? By the way, I LIKE IT! Haley has sent a clear message to one of the team leaders that losing is unacceptable.

RuthlessBurgher
02-28-2009, 11:19 AM
We discussed the possibility of signing a 33 year old interior o-lineman in Jeff Saturday (until the Colts re-signed him before the free agency period started). If he hit the market, we might have been interested...who knows...but I doubt it...it is not standard practice for our front office to bring in veteran players on the "back nine" of their careers. Therefore, I think it would be extremely unlikely that they would actually trade something for a 32 year old interior lineman (even though he is a well-decorated, much-accomplished interior lineman). That is just not the way the Steelers operate. Thanks for thinking about us, though, Hardliner!

Discipline of Steel
02-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Ill trade you Carey Davis for him.

RuthlessBurgher
02-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Do you think Pioli would clean house of all the veteran malcontents and continue building around the young guys the Chiefs picked up in the last few drafts? If Pioli is truly interested in Matt Cassel, he could keep all of KC's prime draft picks and just trade guys like Larry Johnson, Tony Gonzalez, and Brian Waters to his old Cheaters team. Belichick loves old guys who used to be All-Pros. The Vrabel trade this week shows that the two sides are willing to deal.

stlrz d
02-28-2009, 11:57 AM
Do you think Pioli would clean house of all the veteran malcontents and continue building around the young guys the Chiefs picked up in the last few drafts? If Pioli is truly interested in Matt Cassel, he could keep all of KC's prime draft picks and just trade guys like Larry Johnson, Tony Gonzalez, and Brian Waters to his old Cheaters team. Belichick loves old guys who used to be All-Pros. The Vrabel trade this week shows that the two sides are willing to deal.

I read on another site that Vrabel may actually be part of a bigger deal that involves Cassel...and that they're ironing out the details presently.

HardlinerKC
02-28-2009, 01:37 PM

I think so, Ruthless. Pioli and his lapdog, Haley, (Meant in a good way...I think), are sending some strong messages that a new day has dawned for everyone at Arrowhead including front office personnel, players, scouts and even stadium employees. Pioli is already starting to be known as the silent assassin when it comes to personnel matters.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Belichick start dealing for the likes of Gonzo, LJ and now, Waters. I also just heard what Stirlz d reported in terms of a mega deal being manufactured to include some or all of these guys for Vrabel, Cassel and draft picks but it's simply in the rumor stage as Pioli won't be talking about any of this until the players are introduced at a press conference.

If true this makeover for the Chiefs will be the most significant in the team's history. But hey! Haley is right. You could empty out a few sports bars on a given Saturday in KC or Pittsburgh and field a team capable of two wins, couldn't you? Maybe not, but it makes for a colorful quote if nothing else.

RuthlessBurgher
02-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Hardliner, congrats on getting your QB of the future, Matt Cassel. Terms of the trade have still not been disclosed.

grotonsteel
02-28-2009, 02:31 PM
According to Waters, Haley said, "I could sign guys off the street and win 2 games again". Waters has now asked for a trade, joining disgruntled RB Larry Johnson, and all-pro TE Tony Gonzalez who has since relaxed his demands but still thought to be heading elsewhere.

I just feel this is not the way to talk to a professional football player especially a senior player on the team unless Walter is one of the big reason for KC Chiefs bad season. This stuff can work in college football not in NFL. :2c

HardlinerKC
02-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Hardliner, congrats on getting your QB of the future, Matt Cassel. Terms of the trade have still not been disclosed.

Thanks Ruthless. We're hearing the Patties got the Chief's 2d round pick in the 2009 draft, #34 overall, for both Cassel and Vrabel. I think this will give NE three 2s in the upcoming draft?

Anyway, Pioli knows Cassel quite well and the kid stepped in and did more than okay after Brady went down, ironically, in the season opener against the Chiefs and a lunging tackle from SS Bernard Pollard. So, is Cassel a better option than spending a #3 overall pick on a Stafford or Sanchez at QB? THAT will be debated for some time, but as of now, I think both teams came out okay on this deal.

RuthlessBurgher
02-28-2009, 03:26 PM

Thanks Ruthless. We're hearing the Patties got the Chief's 2d round pick in the 2009 draft, #34 overall, for both Cassel and Vrabel. I think this will give NE three 2s in the upcoming draft?

Anyway, Pioli knows Cassel quite well and the kid stepped in and did more than okay after Brady went down, ironically, in the season opener against the Chiefs and a lunging tackle from SS Bernard Pollard. So, is Cassel a better option than spending a #3 overall pick on a Stafford or Sanchez at QB? THAT will be debated for some time, but as of now, I think both teams came out okay on this deal.

Yeah, with Stafford and Sanchez out of the mix at #3, they could go o-line (perhaps re-uniting Eugene Monroe with Brandon Albert?), d-line (no team needs a pass rush more than the Chiefs), or maybe an all-around LB like Aaron Curry. Another thought...if Crabtree is able to run at his Pro Day and runs well, then has his surgery and it goes well, might the Chiefs consider Crabtree at #3? Remember, Cassel had 2 WR studs in Moss and Welker in New England. Haley had 2 WR studs in Fitzgerald and Boldin in Arizona. Might Pioli want to get 2 WR studs in Bowe and Crabtree in Kansas City? Add Tony Gonzalez to that mix, plus a solid running game featuring Larry Johnson, and suddenly you have an offense that could be just plain sick (even if their defense blows). I don't think Gonzo or LJ or Waters would whine about wanting to leave town in that scenario.

HardlinerKC
02-28-2009, 03:48 PM

If someone held a gun to my head and said, who do the Chiefs now pick at #3 overall, I've got to go Oline and LT, as you suggested. If it's Monroe, I see them putting him at LT, shift Albert back to OG and let 3rd year OT Herb Taylor win the ROT position. I think OT makes more sense, fills a definite need, and helps stabilze an old Chief's strength. Not to mention, helping out Cassel on his protection.

DBowe is emerging as a #1 receiver and the very fast Will Franklin showed rookie flashes in 2008 that he could be ready to take over the #2 WR slot. The defense is being retooled to go 3-4 in 2009 but as you mentioned, it's got a looooong way to go. The Chiefs need to get busy and sign competent LBs during this free agency.

All that said, getting your guy at QB is a huge step in returning the team to respectability as soon as this coming season. But, lots of work to do on that D. Lots.

Yeah, with Stafford and Sanchez out of the mix at #3, they could go o-line (perhaps re-uniting Eugene Monroe with Brandon Albert?), d-line (no team needs a pass rush more than the Chiefs), or maybe an all-around LB like Aaron Curry. Another thought...if Crabtree is able to run at his Pro Day and runs well, then has his surgery and it goes well, might the Chiefs consider Crabtree at #3? Remember, Cassel had 2 WR studs in Moss and Welker in New England. Haley had 2 WR studs in Fitzgerald and Boldin in Arizona. Might Pioli want to get 2 WR studs in Bowe and Crabtree in Kansas City? Add Tony Gonzalez to that mix, plus a solid running game featuring Larry Johnson, and suddenly you have an offense that could be just plain sick (even if their defense blows). I don't think Gonzo or LJ or Waters would whine about wanting to leave town in that scenario.

Discipline of Steel
02-28-2009, 04:07 PM
I just hope Gonzo doesnt end up in NE after the smoke clears.

stlrz d
02-28-2009, 08:49 PM
So far it appears the Chiefs got the better end of this deal.

papillon
02-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Haley may be sending a message to the veterans and while he believes he can win 2 games with players off the street, he's playing in the NFL, not the Arena football league. It's a little bit harder to win games than his statement indicates. Every team needs veteran players to compete, you aren't going to be successful playing rookies and unproven vets (1-3 years in the league).

I know what he's trying to do with that statement, but, you need to be careful with all of your veterans, IMO.

I wish the Chiefs well they always reminded me of the Steelers and are an old school club. The Steelers and Chiefs clash this upcoming year as well.

Pappy

steelcityrules!!
03-01-2009, 01:46 AM
We discussed the possibility of signing a 33 year old interior o-lineman in Jeff Saturday (until the Colts re-signed him before the free agency period started). If he hit the market, we might have been interested...who knows...but I doubt it...it is not standard practice for our front office to bring in veteran players on the "back nine" of their careers. Therefore, I think it would be extremely unlikely that they would actually trade something for a 32 year old interior lineman (even though he is a well-decorated, much-accomplished interior lineman). That is just not the way the Steelers operate. Thanks for thinking about us, though, Hardliner!

how old was hartings when we took him from detroit?
I think he was about 30 years old.

I'm not against experienced interior Olinemen heading our way, just can't be looking for billions of bucks, only rings

:Clap

Jom112
03-01-2009, 02:32 AM
If someone held a gun to my head and said, who do the Chiefs now pick at #3 overall, I've got to go Oline and LT, as you suggested. If it's Monroe, I see them putting him at LT, shift Albert back to OG and let 3rd year OT Herb Taylor win the ROT position.

OT is a good pick but I think the Cheifs will take either Aaron Curry (If he's still there), or B.J. Raji.

If you guys are going to switch to the 3-4, Dorsey shouldn't be playing NT. Raji at NT and Dorsey at RDE, should make for a good D-Line...

RuthlessBurgher
03-01-2009, 11:20 AM

I'm not against experienced interior Olinemen heading our way, just can't be looking for billions of bucks, only rings

His last year with the Lions was in 2000, and his first with the Steelers was in 2001. His D.O.B. is 9-9-72. That means that he was 28 when we signed him in the offseason, but he turned 29 just after the season started.

steelcityrules!!
03-01-2009, 12:33 PM

His last year with the Lions was in 2000, and his first with the Steelers was in 2001. His D.O.B. is 9-9-72. That means that he was 28 when we signed him in the offseason, but he turned 29 just after the season started.

29, 30...
close enough for me. Hartings played what, 6 full seasons for us? I'd be interested in that type of production from a pro-bowl caliber player looking to finish his career here.

snarky
03-01-2009, 01:28 PM

There is a somewhat famous story (and I have no idea as to its truth) that Ralph Kiner went into the Pirates FO after hitting 47 home runs in 1950 and asked for a raise. The response that he supposedly got was "We could have finished in last place without you hitting 47 home runs."