PDA

View Full Version : Who is that player that drops....

steelz09
02-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Out of the 1st round only for the Steelers to pick them up in the 2nd round (possibly a tradie up?)

For example, last year if you told most people that we would pick up Sweed in the second round, they would tell you that you were crazy. That he'll never make it out of the first round.

And the year before that... I was campaigning hard for the Steelers to pick Woodley with their first round, #15 pick. I admit, I was NOT happy when they picked Timmons with the #15 pick. But to my happiness, they drafted Woodley in the 2nd ROUND. Who would of thought a first round talent would drop that far into the 2nd round?

So, my question is.... WHO THIS YEAR WILL FALL OUT OF THE FIRST ROUND AND FALL INTO THE STEELERS LAP IN THE 2ND ROUND .. List any trade up scenarios as well.

RuthlessBurgher
02-28-2009, 11:00 AM
I guess it could be a cornerback who is also a return guy, like Darius Butler or Macho Harris. Both ran poor 40 times at the combine (4.53 and 4.61, respectively). Unless they improve those times at their Pro Days, they could fall further than they thought.

Steel Life
02-28-2009, 12:05 PM
At this rate you have to start wondering about guys like Michael Johnson & Andre Smith...but I would say that we could maybe stand pat & still get Robinson at 64 - though I'd rather not.

WoodleyofTroy
02-28-2009, 12:12 PM
I guess it could be a cornerback who is also a return guy, like Darius Butler or Macho Harris. Both ran poor 40 times at the combine (4.53 and 4.61, respectively). Unless they improve those times at their Pro Days, they could fall further than they thought.

Darius Butler increased his stock at the combine, overall. I've seen mocks putting him in the top 15 to the Texans now. Yes I know, crazy.

WoodleyofTroy
02-28-2009, 12:52 PM
It seems to always be the mid to late 1st round projected Linebackers (Paul Posluzsny, Dan Connor) and Defensive Lineman that fall (Quentin Groves, Calais Campbell, Tim Crowder, Quentin Moses, Chris Canty, Marquise Hill) out at the last minute. You never see this with Offensive Lineman. They rise. So it could possible be one of the 1st round projected LB's in James Laurinaitis, DE's in Tyson Jackson.

Both look like there is "no way" they'll be there in the mid 2nd, but it happens every year at those 2 positions. All the guys listed above were top picks in mocks prior to their College seasons. But maybe stick around in those mocks because people know who they are, they have a name to us fans. However the teams view them as something different.

steelz09
02-28-2009, 01:02 PM
It seems to always be the mid to late 1st round projected Linebackers (Paul Posluzsny, Dan Connor) and Defensive Lineman that fall (Quentin Groves, Calais Campbell, Tim Crowder, Quentin Moses, Chris Canty, Marquise Hill) out at the last minute. You never see this with Offensive Lineman. They rise. So it could possible be one of the 1st round projected LB's in James Laurinaitis, DE's in Tyson Jackson.

Both look like there is "no way" they'll be there in the mid 2nd, but it happens every year at those 2 positions. All the guys listed above were top picks in mocks prior to their College seasons. But maybe stick around in those mocks because people know who they are, they have a name to us fans. However the teams view them as something different.

:Agree -- I think it could be a LB or DE-tweener. I would bet against Tyson Jackson falling because he has the build to be a 3-4 end or 4-3 DT. College football doesn't produce many of those guys which is a shame. Normally they are guys that take a few years at least to develop. The guys that are NFL ready coming out normally are "swapped" up early.

Jooser
02-28-2009, 02:58 PM
I don't know who it could be this year. However, since we're on the subject, I couldn't help but think about Brady Quinn dropping like a hot potatoe. That was sooo classic. All that disappointment, then to add further insult to his bruised ego, he ends up in Stainville.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Funny/lmao.gif

grotonsteel
02-28-2009, 03:33 PM
i think it will be James Laurinaitis. How the mighty have fallen.

I would be surprised if Jackson is there at 64. Too many 3-4 teams now in NFL.

RuthlessBurgher
02-28-2009, 03:46 PM
i think it will be James Laurinaitis. How the mighty have fallen.

I would be surprised if Jackson is there at 64. Too many 3-4 teams now in NFL.

I agree on the likelihood of a Laurinaitis slide. However, did you just mention Tyson Jackson at 64?!?! At this point, I would be surprised if he were there at 32!!!

LasVegasGuy
02-28-2009, 05:18 PM
I think Cushing from USC.

The knock on him is he may have used steriods in college & high school. After the Mandarich debacle alot of GM's are not going to take a chance which means he could fall.

Steel Life
03-01-2009, 11:19 AM
I still say Michael Johnson from GT...this guy was projected to be top 10 at the beginning of the year, but now he may fall out of the 1st round altogether. His situation is just like Quentin Moses from two years back, shooting up boards at one point...in free-fall the next.