PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Kemo

RKSteel
02-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Steelers reach agreement with Kemoeatu
Friday, February 27, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers just came to a contract agreement with guard Chris Kemoeatu that will pay him $20 million over the next five years.

There were reports that Kemoeatu was about to sign with the New York Jets for the same amount, but he decided to stay with the Steelers instead.

"Obviously, he's very happy," said his agent, Ken Vierra. "The Jets were extremely aggressive and professional. At the end of the day, it was an opportunity to win another Super Bowl and stay with his teammates, along with a good, aggressive, solid offer from the Steelers. That was enough to keep him there."

The signing eases what was developing into a crisis at guard for the Steelers. They released veteran Kendall Simmons on Thursday and were left with Darnell Stapleton as their only experienced guard and Jeremy Parquet, who has been in and out of the league since 2005 without ever getting into a game until he played briefly in five of them with the Steelers the past season.

Kemoeatu became a starter in his fourth season with the Steelers, who drafted him on the sixth round in 2005. Coincidentally, he became a starter after the New York Jets signed their veteran All-Pro guard, Alan Faneca, one year ago.

Kemoeatu will receive a $4 million signing bonus as part of his new contract with the Steelers.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09058/952109-100.stm
First published on February 27, 2009 at 2:17 pm

MeetJoeGreene
02-27-2009, 03:42 PM
So this essentially means that we have the same line that we ended the season with.

If anything, it means that Stapleton is the odd man out if we draft a G or C/G early in the draft.

I don't think we give Kemo that contract to sit on the bench.

I am strangely ambivalent about this and the Max signing. It is probablly necessary and good for us, but not to darn exciting. I just don't see any of these players making leaps and bounds improvement . Maybe I am wrong and a training camp to gel together will do wonders.

RuthlessBurgher
02-27-2009, 03:44 PM
A $4 million signing bonus is certainly palatable, particularly in the current market. If things don't work out in the future (i.e. Simmons), you could cut Kemo with minimal impact in terms of dead money on the salary cap.

Oviedo
02-27-2009, 03:46 PM
So this essentially means that we have the same line that we ended the season with.

If anything, it means that Stapleton is the odd man out if we draft a G or C/G early in the draft.

I am strangely ambivalent about this and the Max signing. It is probablly necessary and good for us, but not to darn exciting. I just don't see any of these players making leaps and bounds improvement . Maybe I am wrong and a training camp to gel together will do wonders.

We have all 5 Super Bowl starters back although I remain underwhelmed with Stapleton.

There will be much less pressure to reach for OL early. As far as priorities CB could be rising to the top.

The big question is there any money left to resign Harrison? Unlikely.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-27-2009, 03:48 PM

We've just committed $15.5 million/year to keep together one of the most mediocre OLs in the league. Whoopee. I share your ambivalence.

ANPSTEEL
02-27-2009, 03:51 PM

ambivalence abounds!

Here are my hopes-
A. they draft one of the top centers- with the expectation of him playing RG this season- then moving to C next year.
B. Hills develops and can play RT- making Colon at RT a 1 season deal- then potentially move him into RG when the rookie moves to C in year 2.

thus

2009 line
Starks
Kemo
Hartwig
Rookie
Colon / Hills

Starks
Kemo
2009Rookie
Colon
Hills

If this works out, it would allow the Steelers to use the 2nd and two 3rd round picks on the DL and CB.

SteelBucks
02-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Wow. Didn't see this coming. Now it's time to work on filling the RG spot.

Oviedo
02-27-2009, 03:57 PM

We've just committed $15.5 million/year to keep together one of the most mediocre OLs in the league. Whoopee. I share your ambivalence.

Wouldn't that be the mediocre OL that just won the Super Bowl? For $15.5M who specifically do you think you would get instead and would they definitely be better? Or just different?

ANPSTEEL
02-27-2009, 04:03 PM
For $15.5M who specifically do you think you would get instead and would they definitely be better? Or just different?

That, unfortunately, is the real issue.

No way they could have gotten anyone better for that amount of money. So what would have happened is exactly what you allude to.

New faces, same level of performance, or worse.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-27-2009, 04:06 PM

Wouldn't that be the mediocre OL that just won the Super Bowl? For $15.5M who specifically do you think you would get instead and would they definitely be better? Or just different?

Well, I had hoped we would upgrade our OL through the draft. Keeping Starks, Kemo and Colon will very likely keep us from doing that. Or, if we do happen to draft some great OL prospects, they will probably have to sit for 3 or 4 years behind our highly-paid underachievers. I can't exactly be jumping for joy over these moves. What do we have, about $7 million left in cap space? Forget extending James Harrison, or picking up any significant FA help. Like I said, ambivalent.

feltdizz
02-27-2009, 04:12 PM
we won a SB with this pathetic OL....

This is the luxury you have with a guy like Ben at QB...

I don't see the problem.

Snatch98
02-27-2009, 04:15 PM
I'm almost always a optimist so take that in to account when reading the following. Our offensive line was playing pretty solid football in the playoffs. Ben wasn't really getting touched and on more than a few occasions he had a substantial amount of time back there with the football. I don't believe it's unreasonable to assume that our offensive line finally started to get some cohesion towards the end of the season and in to the playoffs. If the line we currently have stays intact plus a infusion of a rookie and hopefully the maturation of Tony Hills we may have a formidable offensive line on our hands. The group was shifted around most of the season. You also need to take in to account their closeness with Big Ben and each other off the field.

I think we're selling our offensive line a little short. We all need to remember that most of the time any of us call in to question the organization and their decisions 9 times out of 10 we're proven wrong. Look at all the Timmons haters. Hell what about all the people that absolutely hated the Starks transition tag last season and now that he's franchised people are actually happy about it. Why because his play improved. I like the Starks franchise and the Kemo signing. Now we need to figure out whats going on with McFadden. I'm assuming with this signing he's likely gone.

ANPSTEEL
02-27-2009, 04:16 PM

I don't see the problem.

I get your point, but

here is the problem

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/team ... rt_col_1=6 (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-RUSHING/2008/regular?sort_col_1=6)

Stats

NFL Rushing Offense - Rushing Average
Team G Att Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TDs FDs 20+
New York (N) 16 502 31.4 2518 5.0 157.4 19 130 24
Atlanta 16 560 35.0 2443 4.4 152.7 23 131 16
Carolina 16 504 31.5 2437 4.8 152.3 30 118 24
Baltimore 16 592 37.0 2376 4.0 148.5 20 132 11
Minnesota 16 519 32.4 2332 4.5 145.8 15 119 23
New England 16 513 32.1 2278 4.4 142.4 21 145 11
Tennessee 16 508 31.8 2199 4.3 137.4 24 108 15
Washington 16 478 29.9 2095 4.4 130.9 12 109 17
New York (A) 16 422 26.4 2004 4.7 125.2 20 94 11
Oakland 16 459 28.7 1987 4.3 124.2 9 87 12
Miami 16 448 28.0 1897 4.2 118.6 18 111 11
Denver 16 387 24.2 1862 4.8 116.4 15 103 8
Houston 16 432 27.0 1846 4.3 115.4 16 106 13
Buffalo 16 439 27.4 1842 4.2 115.1 16 107 9
Tampa Bay 16 451 28.2 1837 4.1 114.8 13 100 8
Kansas City 16 379 23.7 1810 4.8 113.1 9 94 15
Green Bay 16 437 27.3 1805 4.1 112.8 11 99 10
Jacksonville 16 426 26.6 1774 4.2 110.9 17 107 11
Seattle 16 417 26.1 1768 4.2 110.5 10 104 13
San Diego 16 421 26.3 1726 4.1 107.9 13 92 11
Dallas 16 401 25.1 1723 4.3 107.7 12 102 12
Philadelphia 16 427 26.7 1697 4.0 106.1 15 94 11
Pittsburgh 16 460 28.8 1690 3.7 105.6 16 93 8

RuthlessBurgher
02-27-2009, 04:17 PM

Well, I had hoped we would upgrade our OL through the draft. Keeping Starks, Kemo and Colon will very likely keep us from doing that. Or, if we do happen to draft some great OL prospects, they will probably have to sit for 3 or 4 years behind our highly-paid underachievers. I can't exactly be jumping for joy over these moves. What do we have, about $7 million left in cap space? Forget extending James Harrison, or picking up any significant FA help. Like I said, ambivalent.

Nothing that has happened up to this point keeps up from upgrading our OL through the draft.

Remember:

Hartwig: signed only for 2009
Starks: signed only for 2009
Colon: signed only for 2009

I think they should still draft 2-3 o-lineman in the draft. There is now continuity along the o-line for next season as we defend our title, but that does not prevent them from drafting some young studs now who will provide depth this coming season and should be good-to-go in 2010 if any of the above players are not extended beyond this coming season. Now they don't have to reach for an o-lineman in case there is a better option in a d-lineman or a CB instead. And they don't have to rely on a rookie starter on the o-line (unless the rookie shows that he would be an immediate improvement over Stapleton at RG). These are good things.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-27-2009, 04:18 PM

I don't see the problem.

You might when he finally takes the sack that knocks him out for the season...
(God forbid--I hope that doesn't happen...)

Oviedo
02-27-2009, 04:19 PM

I don't see the problem.

My point. This "pathetic" OL is probably not as pathetic as fans would like to believe.

The entire notion that getting someone new or even more unbelieveably an unproven rookie with no NFL experience makes the OL better is just beyond reason.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-27-2009, 04:20 PM
I like the Starks franchise and the Kemo signing. Now we need to figure out whats going on with McFadden. I'm assuming with this signing he's likely gone.

Ya think???? There's not cap space left to give him the going price for starting FA CBs.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-27-2009, 04:23 PM
My point. This "pathetic" OL is probably not as pathetic as fans would like to believe.

The entire notion that getting someone new or even more unbelieveably an unproven rookie with no NFL experience makes the OL better is just beyond reason.

Well, dang, let's just forego the draft altogether then...if it's "unbelievable" that you could draft a rookie that would bring improvement to our OL, then why bother?

Lebsteel
02-27-2009, 04:32 PM
I am not a big fan of Kemo at all, but I'll trust the Steeler FO thinks he can improve. He certainly whiffed on several key plays during the Super Bowl and playoffs. I'll be anxious to see what happens with Starks. Will he take $6-7 million per year long term and free up a little cap space to sign Harrison. Maybe the Steelers are not too concerned with signing Harrison considering that he has this year left and they could franchise him next year which would take him thru 2010 and he would be 32 and on the downhill side of his career. Maybe they are more concerned with extending Woodley next year???

steelsnis
02-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Well, dang, let's just forego the draft altogether then...if it's "unbelievable" that you could draft a rookie that would bring improvement to our OL, then why bother?

C'mon man, you know as well as I do that's not the point.

The point is, this line may not be all pro across the board, but it's better than most people think. Just because they resigned Kemo doesn't mean they won't draft another interior o-lineman. And just because Kemo is signed doesn't mean he's THE starter for the length of his contract.

This is the NFL. Contracts aren't guaranteed and if a few years from now, they have a younger, better player who's ready to start, Kemo will be gone or restructured.

Amazing how fast the negativity comes back. You'd think RickT or agdci is hacking into everyone's accounts! :lol:

BradshawsHairdresser
02-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Well, one thing that I like about the Kemo signing is that he wanted to be a Steeler...turned down significantly more $$$ from the Jets to stay in the Black and Gold.
Sort of the anti-Faneca (maybe in more ways than one :D ).

RuthlessBurgher
02-27-2009, 04:37 PM

C'mon man, you know as well as I do that's not the point.

The point is, this line may not be all pro across the board, but it's better than most people think. Just because they resigned Kemo doesn't mean they won't draft another interior o-lineman. And just because Kemo is signed doesn't mean he's THE starter for the length of his contract.

This is the NFL. Contracts aren't guaranteed and if a few years from now, they have a younger, better player who's ready to start, Kemo will be gone or restructured.

Amazing how fast the negativity comes back. You'd think RickT or agdci is hacking into everyone's accounts! :lol:

Especially since the signing bonus was only $4 million total. Everybody looks at the 5 year $20 million totals and it seems like a lot of money, but if he underperforms, the cap hit would be small if we cut him because he does not have an outrageous signing bonus that would be accelerated onto your cap.

MeetJoeGreene
02-27-2009, 04:41 PM
I was the one that first used the word ambivalent.

And I am.

I also qualified it by saying it was probably necessary and good for us.

Kind of like medicine.

But, c'mon... is anybody REALLY EXCITED that we signed the same O-line?

Relieved, maybe.
Accepting, possibly.

Excited... no way.

This line, as it stands, will "probably" get "somewhat" better with another year together. But it won't be great or even very good.

RuthlessBurgher
02-27-2009, 04:45 PM
I was the one that first used the word ambivalent.

And I am.

I also qualified it by saying it was probably necessary and good for us.

Kind of like medicine.

But, c'mon... is anybody REALLY EXCITED that we signed the same O-line?

Relieved, maybe.
Accepting, possibly.

Excited... no way.

This line, as it stands, will "probably" get "somewhat" better with another year together. But it won't be great or even very good.

I think the o-line will still be improved through the draft this year. Now, we don't have to worry about trying to defend our title with a couple of rookies starting on the o-line, though. We can bring them along slowly like we normally develop players, making them useful depth in 2009 and possible starters in 2010 if they do not extend the contracts of Starks, Colon, and Hartwig (all of which are only signed through next season).

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-27-2009, 04:48 PM
STARKS
KEMO
HARTWIG
MACK/UNGER/WOODS
COLON

STARKS
KEMO
HARTWIG
ROBINSON/URBIK
COLON

I think one of these are most likely the OL.

With everyone on the starting OL being secured I think there is no urgency now for the OL in Rd 1. I think now it looks like OL,DL,CB in the 1st...BPA.

NW Steeler
02-27-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm almost always a optimist so take that in to account when reading the following. Our offensive line was playing pretty solid football in the playoffs. Ben wasn't really getting touched and on more than a few occasions he had a substantial amount of time back there with the football. I don't believe it's unreasonable to assume that our offensive line finally started to get some cohesion towards the end of the season and in to the playoffs. If the line we currently have stays intact plus a infusion of a rookie and hopefully the maturation of Tony Hills we may have a formidable offensive line on our hands. The group was shifted around most of the season. You also need to take in to account their closeness with Big Ben and each other off the field.

I think we're selling our offensive line a little short. We all need to remember that most of the time any of us call in to question the organization and their decisions 9 times out of 10 we're proven wrong. Look at all the Timmons haters. Hell what about all the people that absolutely hated the Starks transition tag last season and now that he's franchised people are actually happy about it. Why because his play improved. I like the Starks franchise and the Kemo signing. Now we need to figure out whats going on with McFadden. I'm assuming with this signing he's likely gone.

I like snatch!!

:D

pfelix73
02-27-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm fine with it. Remember that change along the OL isn't good in the long run. Still don't like the Simmons release as he is better than a Stapleton, but it may have been necessary to re-sign Kemo.

Glad to see the OL is intact......

And folks- stop thinking that Colon is moving to G. He's our RT.

mshifko
02-27-2009, 07:06 PM
glad to see we could hang onto him...i think kemo is great at pulling, he has some things he needs to work on, but overall he's a capable LG who is going to get better

SteelerOfDeVille
02-27-2009, 07:38 PM
the way i read this, the contract is "cap friendly" should the team decide to cut him in the near future... that's an itty bitty signing bonus... these days, they're 50% of the contract (or more)...

BRILLIANT move by the FO.

pittpete
02-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Cap friendly signing I guess, but Im not thrilled.
Guy was clueless on too many plays this season and presnap penalties seemed to be his forte.

i think kemo is great at pulling, he has some things he needs to work on, but overall he's a capable LG who is going to get better
I think he is often slow when pulling and misses his blocks from memory.
He is young and hopefully will improve.

mshifko
02-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Cap friendly signing I guess, but Im not thrilled.
Guy was clueless on too many plays this season and presnap penalties seemed to be his forte.

i think kemo is great at pulling, he has some things he needs to work on, but overall he's a capable LG who is going to get better
I think he is often slow when pulling and misses his blocks from memory.
He is young and hopefully will improve.
no way, go back and look at kemo on film...the only thing he does really well is pull

pfelix73
02-27-2009, 09:38 PM
I agree. He's fine as a pulling G. He's only going to get better as an OG.

jrobitaille23
02-27-2009, 09:58 PM
The inability of Stapleton to react to stunts was a main problem with O Line play last year. Ben holding the ball too long for 3/4 of the season the other. After the Philly game they made a concerted effort to put quicker drops in and the results speak for themselves. This line will be fine assuming they draft a RG/C or both for added depth. They NEED to get a replacement for Stapleton as he is awful. Let's face it, we may never reduce the amount of sacks due to Ben's style of play. The line will gel further this year and upgrade at RG will go a long way to more success. Great signings so far. Even better if they can get Stark's cap number down by signing to long cap friendly deal. Then we won't have to take a tackle and can groom Hill. I say CB is number one priority followed by 3-4 DE which we can grab in later rounds as those types are plentiful in the college ranks (too small for NG...too big for OLB).

pittpete
02-27-2009, 10:15 PM
I still disagree with Kemo being a great pulling guard.
While he does excel at run blocking I rarely remember him actually blocking someone when pulling.
He definitely suffers in pass protection.
Please dont tell me Im wrong there also :?
Are you people excited that we resigned Kemo because he is a solid performer and can only get better or that he is a familiar part of the O-line and we're better off with the demon we know then dont know.
Remember our O-line did suck ballz last year and on the last drive in the Superbowl, it was all Ben.

jrobitaille23
02-27-2009, 11:34 PM
I think a little bit of both. Lines take time to be cohesive. He is as are all players, still learning and improving. While he may not be the best pass protector, when it counted, and I am going to disagree with you on the superbowl drive, Ben had plenty of time on those last two throws on that drive to pump and sit in pocket. Rather know what you have than get a FA or rookie and hope he is better. You just can't have all stars at every position. We have so much talent elsewhere and the money is spent so...

MeetJoeGreene
02-27-2009, 11:35 PM
the way i read this, the contract is "cap friendly" should the team decide to cut him in the near future... that's an itty bitty signing bonus... these days, they're 50% of the contract (or more)...

BRILLIANT move by the FO.

That is a very good point SoD.....

very good.

pfelix73
02-28-2009, 12:06 AM
I remember a few 3rd and 5's-6's when Kemo helped pick up the 1st down..... Just sayin...

steeler_george
02-28-2009, 04:13 AM

Nothing that has happened up to this point keeps up from upgrading our OL through the draft.

Remember:

Hartwig: signed only for 2009
Starks: signed only for 2009
Colon: signed only for 2009

I think they should still draft 2-3 o-lineman in the draft. There is now continuity along the o-line for next season as we defend our title, but that does not prevent them from drafting some young studs now who will provide depth this coming season and should be good-to-go in 2010 if any of the above players are not extended beyond this coming season. Now they don't have to reach for an o-lineman in case there is a better option in a d-lineman or a CB instead. And they don't have to rely on a rookie starter on the o-line (unless the rookie shows that he would be an immediate improvement over Stapleton at RG). These are good things.

Ruthless... we have the dame thinking buddy!!!

And I think 15 M is cheep, bargin buys for 3/5on an OL. I wonder were we rank in cost vs production compared to other teams on the OL. Are we overpaying? underpaying? or just in the middle?

NorthCoast
02-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Couple of things to keep in mind. When we draft 1.32 will we likely be spending the equivalent of $1-3M including bonus for the pick. Do you really think paying an unproven guard is worth that kind of money? Steelers typically reserve the first round pick for skill positions and as others have correctly pointed out, guard is probably the least skill position on O. I think the Steelers will go DL or defensive back and wait for later rounds for the OL especially with the resigns of Starks and Kemo.

NorthCoast
02-28-2009, 07:29 PM
BTW, how can anyone say the line was improving when it was clear we still had no short yardage game throughout the playoffs? The OL was average and I don't see how it has improved unless the playcalling changes. Not all that thrilled but hopefully a less demanding schedule also factored into their decisions.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-02-2009, 09:40 AM
I've been pretty vocal against Kemo in the past, but this signing gave me a few thoughts:

1) First, and most important, as many here have said this is a good cap deal - and I always look at that first.

2) Both the Steelers and Jets place a high value on Kemo. So many said that Moore was a better guard, and we should replace Kemo with Moore. Well, NYJ offered Kemo more than they ended up signing Moore for and Kemo's signing should have driven up the price for the next guard. The market has spoken and Kemo has more value.

3) Kemo is still young. We always seem to get caught up in performance that we never take into account that young players can improve. A young first year starter, hopefully he does get better.