PDA

View Full Version : Jets offer Kemo

calmkiller
02-27-2009, 09:04 AM
PFT

JETS OFFER CONTRACT TO KEMOEATU
Posted by Aaron Wilson on February 27, 2009, 3:26 a.m.

The New York Jets are making a push to land burly Pittsburgh Steelers offensive guard Chris Kemoeatu, offering the 6-foot-3, 344-pound free agent a contract averaging at least $4 million annually, according to Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News.

Per the article, Kemoeatu could step into the Jets’ void at right guard created when the team cut Brandon Moore.

Known as “Little Kemo,” because his older brother, Carolina Panthers defensive lineman Maake Kemoeatu, is “Big Kemo,” the younger Kemoatu is also mulling over an offer from the Steelers.

Cimini noted that Kemoeatu played left guard for Pittsburgh last season to take over for Alan Faneca. Now, Kemoeatu could potentially wind up playing on the same team as Faneca again.

calmkiller
02-27-2009, 09:05 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2 ... -kemo.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2009/02/source-jets-make-offer-to-kemo.html)

MeetJoeGreene
02-27-2009, 11:08 AM
4 mill per year for Kemo.

:wft

NFW.

If Kemo is "worth" that, what is James Harrison worth?

RuthlessBurgher
02-27-2009, 11:12 AM

NFW.

The Jets also just paid fraidy-cat Bart "Hines Ward's beeyotch" Scott $8 million per, which is a more direct reflection on Harrison's worth by comparison. I hate free agency because of these other stupid teams artificially inflating values by signing marginal players as if they were elite.

Jooser
02-27-2009, 11:18 AM

NFW.

The Jets also just paid fraidy-cat Bart "Hines Ward's beeyotch" Scott $8 million per, which is a more direct reflection on Harrison's worth by comparison. I hate free agency because of these other stupid teams artificially inflating values by signing marginal players as if they were elite.[/quote]

You are absolutely correct Sir!

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u320/krystiedawn/quotes%20and%20such/stupid.jpg

proudpittsburgher
02-27-2009, 12:30 PM

NFW.

The Jets also just paid fraidy-cat Bart "Hines Ward's beeyotch" Scott $8 million per, which is a more direct reflection on Harrison's worth by comparison. I hate free agency because of these other stupid teams artificially inflating values by signing marginal players as if they were elite.

winner, winner chicken dinner

AkronSteel
02-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Let the Jets sign Fart Spott! Let em sign Kemo too! That organization has no idea what it takes to develop and become a champion. They are always looking for the short route and that never works!

Iron Shiek
02-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Let the Jets sign Fart Spott! Let em sign Kemo too! That organization has no idea what it takes to develop and become a champion. They are always looking for the short route and that never works!

LMAO!

Those are tough to get out of your underwear....so I've been told.

AkronSteel
02-27-2009, 01:02 PM

LMAO!

Those are tough to get out of your underwear....so I've been told.

I thought everyone would get a kick out of that!!!

SteelerOfDeVille
02-27-2009, 01:54 PM
alright... so, seriously... Simmons... and Kemo...

anybody still think we're taking an OT in the 1st - LOL

pittpete
02-27-2009, 02:16 PM
Bye Chris, enjoy NY.

RuthlessBurgher
02-27-2009, 02:42 PM

Why not? Draft a real tackle to play on the right side, then move Colon to guard where he will be a better blocker in tight quarters than he is in space.

Starks-Colon-Hartwig-Stapleton-Rookie

grotonsteel
02-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Its going to be OG/OC or D-Lineman with the 32 pick depending on the free agency.

Steelers will draft a Tackle in 3rd-4th Rd and develop him to be a future starter.

WoodleyofTroy
02-27-2009, 02:44 PM

Why not? Draft a real tackle to play on the right side, then move Colon to guard where he will be a better blocker in tight quarters than he is in space.

Or the fact that we won't have any Tackles signed beyond 2009 lol...

MaxAMillion
02-27-2009, 02:48 PM

Or the fact that we won't have any Tackles signed beyond 2009 lol...

That is the bigger issue. The team needs to start hitting on some long term OL so that they are not under the gun every year. The real issue is that the team has missed on drafting big time OL over the last decade. Have to spend at least two of the first four picks on OL.

grotonsteel
02-27-2009, 02:49 PM

I don't think Steelers should draft a Right Tackle at 1.32. One can get a good RT in Rd 3-Rd4.

Draft top notch Guard early in the draft and Steelers are set for 10yrs at that position.

It instantly improves 3rd and short situation.

RuthlessBurgher
02-27-2009, 02:52 PM

I don't think Steelers should draft a Right Tackle at 1.32. One can get a good RT in Rd 3-Rd4.

Draft top notch Guard early in the draft and Steelers are set for 10yrs at that position.

You could draft a guy who has the potential to play LT, but start him out at RT at first. That is what the team did with Marvel Smith.

RussBII
02-27-2009, 02:56 PM
What about Parquet or Capizzi? Or did we get rid of them jabronis? I can't keep track of our Practice Squad and googling seems too much for me right now.

I think one of those two, or Hills is the X factor here. Hills was REALLY highly regarded in college until he got injured. That frees Willie: (get it?) to be a Guard.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Sirius is reporting the Kemo deal is final with the Jets!

grotonsteel
02-27-2009, 03:05 PM
What about Parquet or Capizzi? Or did we get rid of them jabronis? I can't keep track of our Practice Squad and googling seems too much for me right now.

I think one of those two, or Hills is the X factor here. Hills was REALLY highly regarded in college until he got injured. That frees Willie: (get it?) to be a Guard.

I think they put a tender on Parquet. Yes Hills is an X-factor. If they think he can be a backup this season they won't be drafting a tackle early in the draft.

Steelgal
02-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Too bad, it sounds like Kemo was considering staying with the Steelers here http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... gent_.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/02/27/2009-02-27_jets_close_to_landing_ravens_free_agent_.html)

Meanwhile, there's a development on the Chris Kemoeatu front. Earlier, I reported that the Steelers had dropped out of the bidding - and that's true - but I'm told that he continues to call Steeler officials, hoping to work something out. The Jets are offering a contract that averages $4.2 million-a-year, believed to be higher than the Steelers' offer, but Kemoeatu is said to be torn.

grotonsteel
02-27-2009, 03:16 PM

You could draft a guy who has the potential to play LT, but start him out at RT at first. That is what the team did with Marvel Smith.

I am not sure if Beatty or Britton are those guys who can move to LT in a year or so. I would prefer a sure thing in 1st Rd rather than a project. OG/OC is a position of need and they can draft top notch Guard/Center at 32 like Mack or Duke.

But if they can get hold of Oher its a different thing.

grotonsteel
02-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Too bad, it sounds like Kemo was considering staying with the Steelers here http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... gent_.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/02/27/2009-02-27_jets_close_to_landing_ravens_free_agent_.html)

Meanwhile, there's a development on the Chris Kemoeatu front. Earlier, I reported that the Steelers had dropped out of the bidding - and that's true - but I'm told that he continues to call Steeler officials, hoping to work something out. The Jets are offering a contract that averages $4.2 million-a-year, believed to be higher than the Steelers' offer, but Kemoeatu is said to be torn.

Jets please sign him.

Upgrade the guard position in draft and FA.

Steelgal
02-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Read this on another board. No link.... sorry

The Steelers just came to a contract agreement with guard Chris Kemoeatu that will pay him $20 million over the next five years.

There were reports that Kemoeatu was about to sign with the New York Jets for the same amount, but he decided to stay with the Steelers instead.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

ray
02-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Steelers did sign Kemo, 5 year $20M.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09058/952109-100.stm

Steelers reach agreement with Kemoeatu
Friday, February 27, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers just came to a contract agreement with guard Chris Kemoeatu that will pay him $20 million over the next five years.

There were reports that Kemoeatu was about to sign with the New York Jets for the same amount, but he decided to stay with the Steelers instead.
More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

First published on February 27, 2009 at 2:17 pm

RuthlessBurgher
02-27-2009, 03:24 PM
The Trib has it too:

Steelers re-sign guard Chris Kemoeatu
By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, February 27, 2009

The Steelers re-signed starting left guard Chris Kemoeatu to a five-year, $20-million contract today, a day after the team released veteran guard Kendall Simmons.

Kemoeatu, 26, started all 16 games as the Steelers won Super Bowl XLIII. He was the team's sixth-round draft pick in 2005

RuthlessBurgher
02-27-2009, 03:26 PM
So it looks like the offensive line will look...THE SAME

Starks-Kemoeatu-Hartwig-Stapleton-Colon

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-27-2009, 03:30 PM
That funny! There are also reports now that Bart Scott didn't sign with the Jets and the Ravens are still trying to sign him! Not a bad deal as long as the bonus is low and they could dump if he doesn't continue to improve. He needs to improve in recognizing stunts in pass protection but I like where he is at in run blocking. This could actually tutn out to be a bargain. I actually like it better than the Simmons signing years ago...That's for sure!

RuthlessBurgher
02-27-2009, 03:34 PM
We still don't know what the signing bonus is, which is a big deal. The guaranteed money is the true barometer for whether a deal was good for the player or for the team.

steelz09
02-27-2009, 03:35 PM
The same oline as next year unless they want to draft a guard to replace Stapleton? Great! That means wer're drafting truely BPA and not a position of need IMO. No way is there a 3-4 DE/DT available at 1.32. I could see a LB or a CB in round 1.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-27-2009, 03:38 PM
So it looks like the offensive line will look...THE SAME

Starks-Kemoeatu-Hartwig-Stapleton-Colon

I'm not sure about that yet. Still a question on Colon. Is he in the plans at a G or RT? I think we will see at least one new face on this OL. There is no doubt in my mind a new face will be at RG or RT come opening day. Who knows...Maybe Mack or Unger get drafted and pick up the playbook and asignments and Hartwig is on the bench opening day. One things for certain, these signings add flexibilty in the draft!!!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-27-2009, 03:40 PM
4 mil bonus over 5 years. Now I really like the deal!!!

Oviedo
02-27-2009, 03:40 PM
OL is becoming less of a draft priority with all 5 starters from the Super Bowl now returning. Gives max flexibility to get the best players. CB may be rising up the priority list.

The money is however drying up for James Harrison unless there is some significant restructuring.

RuthlessBurgher
02-27-2009, 03:42 PM
The same oline as next year unless they want to draft a guard to replace Stapleton? Great! That means wer're drafting truely BPA and not a position of need IMO. No way is there a 3-4 DE/DT available at 1.32. I could see a LB or a CB in round 1.

All o-line positions are open possibilities, too. You could draft a guard early who could immediately step in for the UDFA Stapleton, who played admirably in relief but is probably better served as a backup. You could draft a center early (since Hartwig has one year left on his deal) who could play RG as a rookie before moving over to center in 2010. You could draft a tackle early (since both Starks and Colon each are playing under one year deals right now), and the rookie could play at RT and Colon could move over to RG next season, where most of us (outside of the Steeler coaches and front office) think he would be a better fit.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-27-2009, 03:42 PM
OL is becoming less of a draft priority with all 5 starters from the Super Bowl now returning. Gives max flexibility to get the best players. CB may be rising up the priority list.

The money is however drying up for James Harrison unless there is some significant restructuring.

Don't worry...Hines Ward is holding on to Harrison's cut! :wink: I think they will restructure and extend Ward. There should be 3-4 mil in that number Harrison could have.

aggiebones
02-27-2009, 04:06 PM
I don't mind this.
We won a SB with this OL. You'd like to think a season together would improve at least SOME. So even if it is a weakness next season, it is an improving well known weakness.
That said this is what happens now:

We likely draft best avaliable OL. He comes in and learns for a year at whatever position and they find a future home for him in 2010. If someone gets hurt or he is clearly a stud, it adds depth. In 2010, he starts somewhere if he is good (no guarantee last 1st round). Surely 1 OL way underperforms or leaves somehow.
I think its a fine move. We won this year, so status quo gives us same chance next year.

Sweed hopefully replaces Washington and someone surely can give us what Sweed did this year. Nothing.
Rest of O is same. D loses 1 CB and that's really it. So we are almost exactly the same team. I doubt many SB Champs went into the next season with exat same roster.
Though the Giants were close, they all fell apart due to injuries, random shootings, etc.

Jooser
02-27-2009, 04:10 PM
I still think Legursky will contribute in the near future. He had a stellar career here at Marshall.....

snarky
02-27-2009, 04:49 PM
I hate free agency because of these other stupid teams artificially inflating values by signing marginal players as if they were elite.

I'm all for other teams over-paying for players. Sure we have to say goodbye to guys at some point because the market will over-pay for them. But if a team is truly overpaying, it is to their detriment.