PDA

View Full Version : Say Goodbye to Nate the Skate

BigRob
02-26-2009, 10:25 PM
BUCS TO PURSUE WASHINGTON
Posted by Sheil Kapadia on February 26, 2009, 8:53 p.m.

"The Bucs have serious interest in Steelers wide receiver Nate Washington, according to Stephen Holder of the St. Petersburg Times.

Washington is looking for between $7-$8 million in guaranteed money, per the report.

Tampa Bay, which cleared $12.45 million in cap space by cutting five veterans yesterday, will have competition for the 25-year-old receiver.

A source told the Nashville City Paper earlier this week that the Titans have interest in Washington, and Holder reports that the Rams are also believed to be in the mix.

Washington had 40 catches for 631 yards and three touchdowns last season, averaging 15.8 yards per reception. He spent three seasons in Pittsburgh."

Its been real. See ya Nate.

Acero
02-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Hope he goes to Tampa or St. Louis... wouldn't want to see him a Titan.

Time for Limas Bean to step up.

Mel Blount's G
02-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Right after franchising bryant...
http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/antonio-bryant-accepts-franchise-tag/

Antonio Bryant Accepts Franchise Tag
Posted By Anwar S. Richardson at Feb 26, 2009 at 05:41 PM
Updated Feb 26, 2009 at 06:12 PM

Tampa Bay Buccaneers WR Antonio Bryant has accepted the franchise tag recently given to him by the Bucs, ensuring he will remain in uniform at least one more season.

Lamont Smith, his agent, confirmed it to The Tampa Tribune via text message late Thursday afternoon.

Placing the tag on Bryant gave the Bucs a measure of protection against losing Bryant in the free agent market, but also required the Bucs to pay Bryant $9.8 million in 2009.

Bryant had hoped for a long-term deal, at least five to six years, and negotiations between he and the Bucs can continue even now that Bryant has signed the one-year offer. If a longterm deal is not reached, he will be eligible for free agency again in 2010.

Bryant had 83 receptions for 1,248 yards and seven touchdowns last season, establishing himself as one of the NFLís premier receivers after sitting out one year because of a league suspension. Smith previously said Bryant earned $760,000 last season.

Wolfhound45
02-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Hope he goes to Tampa or St. Louis... wouldn't want to see him a Titan.

Time for Limas Bean to step up.

:Agree

We already have a tall, speedy wide receiver on this team that drops passes at the worst times. And we spent a high draft pick on him.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/0123/nfl_g_lsweed1_576.jpg

steelz09
02-26-2009, 11:03 PM
haha -- very true.

Congrats Nate, go get your money and forget the team that didn't cut you when at least 25+ other teams would have cut you.

He'll be another Steeler that'll sail out into the sunset with filled pockets but won't do anything with the next team that signs him. "THAT" team will find out that he's NOT a #2 WR. He's a good #3 though.

It's just a shame that Ben and him had a good relationship... oh well

Iron Shiek
02-26-2009, 11:59 PM
I have to say though that Tampa could basically be "rumored" to be pursuing every Free Agent on the market. I mean they have "more cap room than Abe Lincoln" (ha...Mike Florio, PFT, is the source on that quote) and cut players at virtually every meaningful position.

But alas, they are in major cost cutting mode and in all honesty they are going to go lean from everything I am hearing. I think the will sign enough people to get to the salary "floor" but no big names. I guess Nate isn't a big name, but I don't see them dishing out $7-8 million for a WR like him (i.e. 3rd WR)...

BradshawsHairdresser
02-27-2009, 12:39 AM
Best of luck to you, Nate. Coming in as an undrafted FA, you exceeded my expectations, and filled a vital role as our #3 WR. Thanks, and enjoy your big payday.

PS...if you're an Obama fan, you know, believing in "spreading the wealth around" and "economic stimulus," you could cut me a check for 20 grand or so... :)

Discipline of Steel
02-27-2009, 07:43 AM
I actually wouldnt mind seeing Nate get a big contract to be a "#2" receiver for the Titans. I think he would turn out to be just that...a #2. (for those of you who appreciate bathroom humor, Im talking to you StlrzD)

but alas, it looks like he might be headed to the Lions where his getting overpaid will make no difference to our SB run next year.

Chachi
02-27-2009, 08:19 AM
'tis the nature of the bidness.

good luck, Nate.

calmkiller
02-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Since he was a Undrafted Free Agent coming in and we lose him, we won't get a comp pick for him correct? Or am I completely off base with that?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Since he was a Undrafted Free Agent coming in and we lose him, we won't get a comp pick for him correct? Or am I completely off base with that?

You are mixing up your RFAs and your UFAs. If he was a RFA like Colon, he would have received a tender, and depending on that tender we would be compensated somehow if he was signed elsewhere - unless it was the low tender since he was undrafted.

As a UFA, next year the powers that be will do all their calculations. They will consider the UFAs we lose and those we sign. They then use some type of decision making process - that nobody else knows - to determine if we should receive compensatory picks and at the end of which rounds.

Factors in determining include contract size, role signed for, and probably a few other things.

For example, this year everyone thinks we will get a 3rd rounder, and they say it is for Faneca. In reality though, it is Faneca + Haggans + Tuman (I think that was it) and subtract our signings of Fox + Moore and I don't remember if there was anyone else. If you figure that those we lost (except Faneca) and those we signed are a wash, then that leaves Faneca outstanding. He signed a huge contract to be a starting LG, so that is figured to fetch us a 3rd.

Looking at next year....... we are expected to lose Washington, BMac, Kemo, and Marvel to FA. I expect Nate and BMac to get very high paying deals, Kemo a pretty big one, and maybe some small, short deal for Marvel. On the buying side, I don't expect to see much, and certainly no big signings.

If those we pick up can be cancelled out with Kemo and Smith, that leaves the two big signings outstanding. I would not be surprised if we end up with say two extra 3s or a 3 and a 4 next year in the draft.

RuthlessBurgher
02-27-2009, 11:05 AM
I actually wouldnt mind seeing Nate get a big contract to be a "#2" receiver for the Titans. I think he would turn out to be just that...a #2. (for those of you who appreciate bathroom humor, Im talking to you StlrzD)

but alas, it looks like he might be headed to the Lions where his getting overpaid will make no difference to our SB run next year.

That joke was only funny when Najeh Davenport was the #2 RB on this team. :lol:

feltdizz
02-27-2009, 01:07 PM
haha -- very true.

Congrats Nate, go get your money and forget the team that didn't cut you when at least 25+ other teams would have cut you.

He'll be another Steeler that'll sail out into the sunset with filled pockets but won't do anything with the next team that signs him. "THAT" team will find out that he's NOT a #2 WR. He's a good #3 though.

It's just a shame that Ben and him had a good relationship... oh well

I smell Nate hate...

Oviedo
02-27-2009, 01:14 PM
I have to say though that Tampa could basically be "rumored" to be pursuing every Free Agent on the market. I mean they have "more cap room than Abe Lincoln" (ha...Mike Florio, PFT, is the source on that quote) and cut players at virtually every meaningful position.

But alas, they are in major cost cutting mode and in all honesty they are going to go lean from everything I am hearing. I think the will sign enough people to get to the salary "floor" but no big names. I guess Nate isn't a big name, but I don't see them dishing out $7-8 million for a WR like him (i.e. 3rd WR)...

I heard yesterday that they are like $61M under the cap which means they will have to spend like $35M-40 to get the floor.

They are also negotiating with their RFA LT Donald Penn so that will suck up some but they have some serious spending to do with Haynesworth off the market.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-27-2009, 01:22 PM
And word I'm hearing is McFadden is going to sign with the Lions! I lost all respect for that guy if he signs with them. I know the guy wants to get paid but signing with teams like the Raiders or Lions tells me you are only about one thing. Everyone wants to get paid but respect and integrity should be right in line with money. I'm not even saying sign with the Steelers but Bryant...Come on...You just climbed up a 4 foot step ladder next to a 50 tree!!!

Lonbull
02-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Nate strikes me as a guy who's going to be around forever - ala Troy Brown.

I certainly wish him the best.

However that being said, I'm hoping that Martin Nance finds a way to be the next great UDFA for this team. You have to assume that Nance is on the team because Ben wanted him here - or at the very least because Ben felt Nance could succeed at this level.

In short Martin Nance and Nate Washington are both the same age and while Washington *probably has the speed on Nance - Nance is 6'3 and 215 lbs compared to Washington's 6'1 185/190.

And of course there's the price tag to consider as well.

If Nance has the abiity and we can field the following Holmes, Ward, Sweed, Nance, Baker then I'll feel pretty confident. I'm sure the Steelers will be looking to add a hungry Day 2 kind of player in the mix as well to challenge Baker and Nance (Greg Carr Florida State, Jamayel Smith Miss State anyone?)

SteelerOfDeVille
02-27-2009, 01:45 PM
I'd give Nate $7 mil guaranteed. If it was over like 5 years... that's peanuts, really, for what he's given us. 5 year, $15 mil, $7 guaranteed... he's prolly worth that...

SteelerOfDeVille
02-27-2009, 01:52 PM
And word I'm hearing is McFadden is going to sign with the Lions! I lost all respect for that guy if he signs with them. I know the guy wants to get paid but signing with teams like the Raiders or Lions tells me you are only about one thing.
dude, he has TWO super bowl rings... at this point, he's been there, done that... if the the general range of offers a $20 million contract and the lions offer a $50 million contract, he'd be a fool to play for the $20 millon - whoever the offer was coming from.

it would give him a lotta money, but, also a chance to be a full-time starter, and possibly be a part of rebuilding a broke-down franchise (now that matt millen is gone). Plus, you simply can't turn down "double" the money...

really... you'd lose respect for a guy who was trying to set his family up for life? REALLY?

flippy
02-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Nate will go off next year as a starter.

feltdizz
02-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Nate will go off next year as a starter.

I think he could easily wput up 1,000 yards as a #2...
he could also put up 650...

who knows until he gets the reps... if he is on a run first team he would be a beast.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-27-2009, 02:24 PM
In short Martin Nance and Nate Washington are both the same age and while Washington *probably has the speed on Nance - Nance is 6'3 and 215 lbs compared to Washington's 6'1 185/190.

The speed is the big difference...it seems doubtful that Nance has enough to succeed in the NFL. Hope I'm wrong.

LasVegasGuy
02-27-2009, 02:30 PM
7 or 8 million are you serious :lol: . What the hell has Nate done in his career to have the balls to ask for 7 or 8 million a year. A team would have to be stupid to throw that kind of cash at that guy.

Didn't know there was that big of market for a guy that can't catch and doesn't have the desire to go up and get the tough catches.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-27-2009, 02:50 PM
And word I'm hearing is McFadden is going to sign with the Lions! I lost all respect for that guy if he signs with them. I know the guy wants to get paid but signing with teams like the Raiders or Lions tells me you are only about one thing.
dude, he has TWO super bowl rings... at this point, he's been there, done that... if the the general range of offers a $20 million contract and the lions offer a $50 million contract, he'd be a fool to play for the $20 millon - whoever the offer was coming from.

it would give him a lotta money, but, also a chance to be a full-time starter, and possibly be a part of rebuilding a broke-down franchise (now that matt millen is gone). Plus, you simply can't turn down "double" the money...

really... you'd lose respect for a guy who was trying to set his family up for life? REALLY?

DUDE??? Do you really think there would not be another organization that would offer him money close to that in a more successful franchise??? Do you really think the Lions will get to the SB and win in the next 10 years??? The Lions offer isn't double anyones offer. I'm sure he could find a contract within a mil at another franchise. Granted the playoff, SB, and PB won't make up the $$$ but dropping of the map is your trade off for the money? Maybe you heard of the term refering to teams like the Lions & Raiders as "career killers". Barring injury or release, this isn't his last contract. Most likely release if they don't win. So what do you think his value is after he plays 3 years under a 2-14, 4-12, & 6-10 season? What if he took less money and played for a team that went 8-8, 9-7, & 11-5 with some playoff appearances. Maybe another big payday. He is using exactly what you said to cash in now! Sweep him under the rug...He's done! No respect for him. AND REALLY, I would!!! He traded money for winning. Go to a team like the Falcons that have a shot. So they pay you $500,000 less a year. You have a shot to win. You have a shot to make the money or cash in on an extension because he help turn around the franchsie. If he does it in Detriot, I appologize, but I don't think anyone would be willing to "hold there breath" until that happens.

feltdizz
02-27-2009, 03:58 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":35u7xfo1]And word I'm hearing is McFadden is going to sign with the Lions! I lost all respect for that guy if he signs with them. I know the guy wants to get paid but signing with teams like the Raiders or Lions tells me you are only about one thing.

DUDE??? Do you really think there would not be another organization that would offer him money close to that in a more successful franchise??? Do you really think the Lions will get to the SB and win in the next 10 years??? The Lions offer isn't double anyones offer. I'm sure he could find a contract within a mil at another franchise. Granted the playoff, SB, and PB won't make up the $$$ but dropping of the map is your trade off for the money? Maybe you heard of the term refering to teams like the Lions & Raiders as "career killers". Barring injury or release, this isn't his last contract. Most likely release if they don't win. So what do you think his value is after he plays 3 years under a 2-14, 4-12, & 6-10 season? What if he took less money and played for a team that went 8-8, 9-7, & 11-5 with some playoff appearances. Maybe another big payday. He is using exactly what you said to cash in now! Sweep him under the rug...He's done! No respect for him. AND REALLY, I would!!! He traded money for winning. Go to a team like the Falcons that have a shot. So they pay you $500,000 less a year. You have a shot to win. You have a shot to make the money or cash in on an extension because he help turn around the franchsie. If he does it in Detriot, I appologize, but I don't think anyone would be willing to "hold there breath" until that happens.[/quote:35u7xfo1]

please stop with the SB nonsense.. how much money did BMac make as a SB winner?
Why the hell would he turn down maximum money to play ball?
Winning isn't all that important when it comes to NFL football from a players perspective.

It's more about survival for a player once he has reached the mountain top...
Go get paid...

It's like me saying I won't work for Apple because they will never sell more computers then PC's even though Apple pays the most...

effe that.. go get paid.

costanza2k1
02-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Goodbye Nate...

Oviedo
02-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Nate Washington=Yancy Thigpen. His Steelers days will prove to be far greater than his post Steelers day.

Washington will not be a successful receiver once he becomes the focus of gameplanning as a #1 or #2. He benefited greatly by being the odd man out and drawing typically the third or fouth best DB.

feltdizz
02-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Nate Washington=Yancy Thigpen. His Steelers days will prove to be far greater than his post Steelers day.

Washington will not be a successful receiver once he becomes the focus of gameplanning as a #1 or #2. He benefited greatly by being the odd man out and drawing typically the third or fouth best DB.

You do not know that for sure. He may do well as a #2. Odds are he won't be worth what he is paid but how many FA's are?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-27-2009, 05:21 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1i5ajg9b]And word I'm hearing is McFadden is going to sign with the Lions! I lost all respect for that guy if he signs with them. I know the guy wants to get paid but signing with teams like the Raiders or Lions tells me you are only about one thing.

DUDE??? Do you really think there would not be another organization that would offer him money close to that in a more successful franchise??? Do you really think the Lions will get to the SB and win in the next 10 years??? The Lions offer isn't double anyones offer. I'm sure he could find a contract within a mil at another franchise. Granted the playoff, SB, and PB won't make up the $$$ but dropping of the map is your trade off for the money? Maybe you heard of the term refering to teams like the Lions & Raiders as "career killers". Barring injury or release, this isn't his last contract. Most likely release if they don't win. So what do you think his value is after he plays 3 years under a 2-14, 4-12, & 6-10 season? What if he took less money and played for a team that went 8-8, 9-7, & 11-5 with some playoff appearances. Maybe another big payday. He is using exactly what you said to cash in now! Sweep him under the rug...He's done! No respect for him. AND REALLY, I would!!! He traded money for winning. Go to a team like the Falcons that have a shot. So they pay you $500,000 less a year. You have a shot to win. You have a shot to make the money or cash in on an extension because he help turn around the franchsie. If he does it in Detriot, I appologize, but I don't think anyone would be willing to "hold there breath" until that happens.

please stop with the SB nonsense.. how much money did BMac make as a SB winner?
Why the hell would he turn down maximum money to play ball?
Winning isn't all that important when it comes to NFL football from a players perspective.

It's more about survival for a player once he has reached the mountain top...
Go get paid...

It's like me saying I won't work for Apple because they will never sell more computers then PC's even though Apple pays the most...

effe that.. go get paid.[/quote:1i5ajg9b]

That's the attitude of alot of players. Your analogy really doesn't do justice. More like I'll pay you $100 an hour to shovel "Sheet" with your hands or I'll pay you $90 an hour to use an excavator!

Nobody wins championships or gets in the Hall of Fame because they made the most money in football. Nobody is asking the guy to play for free.

If you are in the game for the money...You shouldn't be in the game!!!
Enough said...

AkronSteel
02-27-2009, 05:56 PM
7 or 8 million are you serious :lol: . What the hell has Nate done in his career to have the balls to ask for 7 or 8 million a year. A team would have to be stupid to throw that kind of cash at that guy.

Didn't know there was that big of market for a guy that can't catch and doesn't have the desire to go up and get the tough catches.

I don't think the guy is worth that much money at all. He will never be a guy that will be consistent catching a ball in traffic and if a team is relying on him to step up and be a difference maker as a #2 then they are in trouble. The guy is a decent slot receiver and a good deep threat but if he is the focus of a team's pass defense then he is in real trouble. The guy has never made a tough catch in traffic that I can remember.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-27-2009, 06:58 PM

I don't think the guy is worth that much money at all. He will never be a guy that will be consistent catching a ball in traffic and if a team is relying on him to step up and be a difference maker as a #2 then they are in trouble. The guy is a decent slot receiver and a good deep threat but if he is the focus of a team's pass defense then he is in real trouble. The guy has never made a tough catch in traffic that I can remember.
Unless I missed something, it said $7-8 mil guaranteed and that's not <> $7-8 mil per year... it means "signing bonus"...

It means something like 5-year, $15 million (total) with $7-8mil as a signing bonus... to me, that's reasonable... if that's what he's asking, I'm surprised we haven't already re-signed him.

mshifko
02-27-2009, 07:04 PM
he's a #3...i just don't see him being a great #2...servicable as a #2? yes, but not worth big time money...

i think limas sweed is our better bet...put our faith in limas, show we're committed to making him the best he can be, and in a year we'll be like, nate who? nate drops a lot of passes (i know limas had his troubles this year), he has the physical tools, but it's not going to pain me to see him leave...

SteelerOfDeVille
02-27-2009, 07:16 PM
That's the attitude of alot of players. Your analogy really doesn't do justice. More like I'll pay you $100 an hour to shovel "Sheet" with your hands or I'll pay you $90 an hour to use an excavator!

Nobody wins championships or gets in the Hall of Fame because they made the most money in football. Nobody is asking the guy to play for free.

Enough said...
we're not talking about $10... proportionally, you may be in the neighborhood... but, let's say I said shoveling sheet for $.10 or $.09... not nearly as much difference, right?

Typically TOP FAs go to "scrubs" when scrubs offer significantly more than their competition for the player's services. If you're talking steelers for $45 million and Detriot for $48 millon, he'd stay in pittsburgh... But, we don't make "shoot for the moon" offers like that - and if we were gonna, we'd have done it already.

ARE left for a deal that was virtually double what he was being offered by our team. You simply can't say you've lost respect fof a guy like that.

Particularly when it comes to signing bonuses (the guaranteed part, even if you're cut). $10 extra million in guarantees is SIGNIFICANT...

Understand that in B-Mac, you're talking a 2nd round pick, finishing his first contract.. at this point, he's not a whole lot wealthier than you or I. Those contracts are in teh hunderds of thousands, not millions... But, he has 2 rings, and this is likely the best chance of his career to cash in... if he signs a 5-year deal, he'll be in his 30's when it's over.

If the offer was "THIS YEAR... RIGHT NOW, I'll give you $20 mil to shovel crap with a shovel or $30 mil to shovel it with your hands", which are you gonna do? Oh yeah, and we'll guarantee the $30 million, even if you get tell us you've got a cut on your hand and can't stick it in there because of fear of infection.

THAT is what you're up against.

Wolfhound45
02-27-2009, 09:17 PM
He has been a great story. However, with no hate for Nate...

...can you remember three (just three) game changing plays he made while he was with the Steelers? You know, game is on the line and he came through with a big play. A catch that you said "WOW" when you saw it.

Look, I realize that he is the #3, but how much of an impact did he make in that role? What was his "signature" play?

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0cJL5QY7Pg6z3/340x.jpg

eniparadoxgma
02-27-2009, 09:26 PM

...can you remember three (just three) game changing plays he made while he was with the Steelers? You know, game is on the line and he came through with a big play. A catch that you said "WOW" when you saw it.

Look, I realize that he is the #3, but how much of an impact did he make in that role? What was his "signature" play?

fly route...

I can remember maybe one game changing play...but not with any kind of clarity. (I blame alcohol)

Wolfhound45
02-27-2009, 10:35 PM

fly route...

I can remember maybe one game changing play...but not with any kind of clarity. (I blame alcohol)

That is kind of my point ep. I can think of play after play by HW and even SH.

NW? Nothing comes to mind. Nothing. Does not mean he did not have that play. I just cannot remember it (I cannot blame alcohol though).

AkronSteel
02-27-2009, 10:45 PM

fly route...

That is kind of my point ep. I can think of play after play by HW and even SH.

NW? Nothing comes to mind. Nothing. Does not mean he did not have that play. I just cannot remember it (I cannot blame alcohol though).

The long passes in Jacksonville and Washington this year I guess could be considered game changers and they did lead to a score that changed the momentum of the game! I just can't see the guy getting the type of $ he is going to get for plays that he has made. I figured maybe around the amount that Cedric Wilson got would be the ballpark Nate was in but no he is going to get much more.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-27-2009, 11:29 PM

Enough said...
we're not talking about $10... proportionally, you may be in the neighborhood... but, let's say I said shoveling sheet for $.10 or $.09... not nearly as much difference, right?

Typically TOP FAs go to "scrubs" when scrubs offer significantly more than their competition for the player's services. If you're talking steelers for $45 million and Detriot for $48 millon, he'd stay in pittsburgh... But, we don't make "shoot for the moon" offers like that - and if we were gonna, we'd have done it already.

ARE left for a deal that was virtually double what he was being offered by our team. You simply can't say you've lost respect fof a guy like that.

Particularly when it comes to signing bonuses (the guaranteed part, even if you're cut). $10 extra million in guarantees is SIGNIFICANT...

Understand that in B-Mac, you're talking a 2nd round pick, finishing his first contract.. at this point, he's not a whole lot wealthier than you or I. Those contracts are in teh hunderds of thousands, not millions... But, he has 2 rings, and this is likely the best chance of his career to cash in... if he signs a 5-year deal, he'll be in his 30's when it's over.

If the offer was "THIS YEAR... RIGHT NOW, I'll give you $20 mil to shovel crap with a shovel or $30 mil to shovel it with your hands", which are you gonna do? Oh yeah, and we'll guarantee the $30 million, even if you get tell us you've got a cut on your hand and can't stick it in there because of fear of infection.

I'm not even talking about the Steelers. Any team. I'm sure the dollar amount between the Steelers & Lions was more but that isn't my argument. See the Falcons reference. He went with the highest bidder...If he ends up there. That is what I don't respect. I went up and down Mcfadden & the Lions and the only connection I found was Ernie Simms who was with him a FSU. If that is the tie...Then so be it. If he put himself out to the highest bidder...Not the man I though he was. I have no problem with him signing with another team...Being a life long Steeler fan...It is something that we know happens. But day 1 to the Lions...We know what it is about! Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions and he was born in Florida, went to school in Florida, but is a Life long Lions fan....It could happen? Doubt it! I would have had more respect for the guy if he signed with the Browns to try to show the Steelers what they missed out on...Instead of "Show me the money!" I guess that is what happens when you love class, integrity, and history...That is named the Pittsburgh Steelers. McFadden never truely understood what that symbol on the helmet meant. At least the Lion is on both sides of the helmet. It will be there to remind him every time he looks in the mirror after a loosing season. Good luck Bryant...You will need it!

feltdizz
02-28-2009, 01:06 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":495gi0xf]That's the attitude of alot of players. Your analogy really doesn't do justice. More like I'll pay you $100 an hour to shovel "Sheet" with your hands or I'll pay you $90 an hour to use an excavator!

Enough said...

I'm not even talking about the Steelers. Any team. I'm sure the dollar amount between the Steelers & Lions was more but that isn't my argument. See the Falcons reference. He went with the highest bidder...If he ends up there. That is what I don't respect. I went up and down Mcfadden & the Lions and the only connection I found was Ernie Simms who was with him a FSU. If that is the tie...Then so be it. If he put himself out to the highest bidder...Not the man I though he was. I have no problem with him signing with another team...Being a life long Steeler fan...It is something that we know happens. But day 1 to the Lions...We know what it is about! Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions and he was born in Florida, went to school in Florida, but is a Life long Lions fan....It could happen? Doubt it! I would have had more respect for the guy if he signed with the Browns to try to show the Steelers what they missed out on...Instead of "Show me the money!" I guess that is what happens when you love class, integrity, and history...That is named the Pittsburgh Steelers. McFadden never truely understood what that symbol on the helmet meant. At least the Lion is on both sides of the helmet. It will be there to remind him every time he looks in the mirror after a loosing season. Good luck Bryant...You will need it![/quote:495gi0xf]

what are you smoking? He has 2 rings... and was paid on the cheap while winning them. All that "name on the helmet" is for the fans not the players..

It's crazy fan talk... and trying to use it to dump on an employee looking to cash in is petty... a lot of players want to play every down more then they want to win a SB at the salary minimum as a #3 CB...

I wonder how loyal you were as an employee at 25 years of age...
you are trying to make it personal when it's business..

feltdizz
02-28-2009, 02:13 PM

I remember him having a few 3rd down catches on our last drives in a few games last year..... looking at his production last year how can anyone say those numbers aren't impact for a #3WR? We are the Steelers for goodness sakes.. GM's are thinking if we can get a #3 those numbers he may fit well as a #2.. it's pretty simple if you ask me.

and imagine someone asking how many game changing plays Heath Miller had last year?
not many game changing moments from our stud TE...

He is a #3 and a team wants to give him a shot at a #2... why is this so hard for people to digest?

I think most Nate haters (not saying you are one) really are afraid of the unknown with Sweed and are trying to lie to themselves. Why are people coming up with all these reasons justifying why Nate is expendable?

Wolfhound45
02-28-2009, 04:26 PM

I remember him having a few 3rd down catches on our last drives in a few games last year..... looking at his production last year how can anyone say those numbers aren't impact for a #3WR? We are the Steelers for goodness sakes.. GM's are thinking if we can get a #3 those numbers he may fit well as a #2.. it's pretty simple if you ask me.

and imagine someone asking how many game changing plays Heath Miller had last year?

He is a #3 and a team wants to give him a shot at a #2... why is this so hard for people to digest?

I think most Nate haters (not saying you are one) really are afraid of the unknown with Sweed and are trying to lie to themselves. Why are people coming up with all these reasons justifying why Nate is expendable?

feltdizz, are you kidding me? How many times has Heath made big catches and literally plowed guys over picking up tough yards? He is a human wrecking ball when he gets the ball in his hands. How about two incredibly tough catches in SB XLIII? How about five total for 57 yards? Nate? One for eleven yards. I understand where you are going, but HM is not a good comparison to NW. Not even close. There is a reason HM is called "Big Money."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heath_Miller

Again, no hate for Nate. I just cannot remember him having the impact plays. All I remember is a serviceable third option. Nothing to write home about.

Best wishes to him, whether he remains a Steeler or takes the money and moves on.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-28-2009, 04:57 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":jsy47ni8]That's the attitude of alot of players. Your analogy really doesn't do justice. More like I'll pay you $100 an hour to shovel "Sheet" with your hands or I'll pay you $90 an hour to use an excavator!

Enough said...

I'm not even talking about the Steelers. Any team. I'm sure the dollar amount between the Steelers & Lions was more but that isn't my argument. See the Falcons reference. He went with the highest bidder...If he ends up there. That is what I don't respect. I went up and down Mcfadden & the Lions and the only connection I found was Ernie Simms who was with him a FSU. If that is the tie...Then so be it. If he put himself out to the highest bidder...Not the man I though he was. I have no problem with him signing with another team...Being a life long Steeler fan...It is something that we know happens. But day 1 to the Lions...We know what it is about! Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions and he was born in Florida, went to school in Florida, but is a Life long Lions fan....It could happen? Doubt it! I would have had more respect for the guy if he signed with the Browns to try to show the Steelers what they missed out on...Instead of "Show me the money!" I guess that is what happens when you love class, integrity, and history...That is named the Pittsburgh Steelers. McFadden never truely understood what that symbol on the helmet meant. At least the Lion is on both sides of the helmet. It will be there to remind him every time he looks in the mirror after a loosing season. Good luck Bryant...You will need it!

what are you smoking? He has 2 rings... and was paid on the cheap while winning them. All that "name on the helmet" is for the fans not the players..

It's crazy fan talk... and trying to use it to dump on an employee looking to cash in is petty... a lot of players want to play every down more then they want to win a SB at the salary minimum as a #3 CB...

you are trying to make it personal when it's business..[/quote:jsy47ni8]

He was a player on his rookie contract. He's no different than the next guy who played and won a super bowl while the guy next to him made more money. And if you think that symbol on the helmet is for the fans than you are not the guy I have come to know posting over the years. That symbol is about integrity and it has much meaning to the fans who route for it as the players who are wearing it!!! This is not about "dumping" on a player looking to cash in. I have no problem with him cashing in. He can do it here or on anothe team. But when you jump from the SB champs to the cellar of the league "reported" on the first day of free agency..."You ain't nothin but a gold digger". There are plenty more teams who could/would offer him good money to come compete. He's going to the highest bidder. When the business of the game become more important than the game...You become complacent. Just look at the Raiders...

papillon
02-28-2009, 11:34 PM
Bryant Johnson signs with Lions that's a potential Nate employer off the list. He's not gone yet and if another doesn't offer him a boatload of dough soon, he may still be a Steeler. IMO, that would be a positive event, he's experienced, experienced in the Steeler offense and stretches the field. A very nice #3 and I'd love to see him stay with the Steelers.

Not to mention Nate is competing with Laveranues Coles, Marvin Harrison and TJ Housmanzadeh who are all more accomplished than Nate. The Steelers know what they're doing and realize that losing Nate wouldn't be crippling and that the WR free agent list has players with more positive tape than Nate.

Pappy

feltdizz
03-01-2009, 03:55 AM
feltdizz, are you kidding me? How many times has Heath made big catches and literally plowed guys over picking up tough yards? He is a human wrecking ball when he gets the ball in his hands. How about two incredibly tough catches in SB XLIII? How about five total for 57 yards? Nate? One for eleven yards. I understand where you are going, but HM is not a good comparison to NW. Not even close. There is a reason HM is called "Big Money."

Again, no hate for Nate. I just cannot remember him having the impact plays. All I remember is a serviceable third option. Nothing to write home about.

Best wishes to him, whether he remains a Steeler or takes the money and moves on.

Heath is our starting TE and does what a starting TE does... but how many games did Heath have impact plays? 5 for 57 in a SB isn't anything special for a TE.. no disrespect to Miller but you put him on the market with his numbers and it's donuts...

Nate is a #3 and did what a #3 WR does...

you call Nate a serviceable 3rd option.. obviously as a #3 he put up numbers that make GM's say hmmm...

I see nothing wrong with that when you look around the league at #3 WR's...

SteelerOfDeVille
03-01-2009, 04:13 AM

iirc, Nate actually took over late in a game... had like 3 catches on a game winning drive... maybe balt game where holmes scored...

feltdizz
03-01-2009, 04:19 AM

you are trying to make it personal when it's business..

He was a player on his rookie contract. He's no different than the next guy who played and won a super bowl while the guy next to him made more money. And if you think that symbol on the helmet is for the fans than you are not the guy I have come to know posting over the years. That symbol is about integrity and it has much meaning to the fans who route for it as the players who are wearing it!!! This is not about "dumping" on a player looking to cash in. I have no problem with him cashing in. He can do it here or on anothe team. But when you jump from the SB champs to the cellar of the league "reported" on the first day of free agency..."You ain't nothin but a gold digger". There are plenty more teams who could/would offer him good money to come compete. He's going to the highest bidder. When the business of the game become more important than the game...You become complacent. Just look at the Raiders...

you got it twisted... I know what the symbol means to the fans..
but as an employee... get over yourself.

The guy has 2 SB rings and thousands in the bank... he is young, why wouldn't he look for the most money? The guy has won 2 SB's and goes back to his 2 BR condo.

but.....

I bet you Mcfadden has been to a few friends houses from around the league....
I wonder what its like for him to walk into a few million dollar houses that those loser CB's from Oakland and San Fracisco... Denver and Detroit.... you know the greedy shallow ones who are only in it for the money..

I bet McFadden felt like those SB rings could be planted in the ground and a big old bank vault would grow...

The SB and the rings are for the fans..... it's not like every player gets a check for 5 mill after winning a SB.. they get base pay.

I don't see why going to the worst team for the most money is a bad thing... AZ was the worst team a few years ago... Miami was the worst team last year...

McFaddens job is to knock down passes.. that's it.. defend the pass..

who cares who he does it for?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-01-2009, 08:21 AM
I don't see what you are saying here. You said the symbol was for the fans. To me you were saying "The Steelers" were for the fans. Playing for the Steelers had no significant meaning in a players eyes.

The guy has 2 SB rings and thousands in the bank... he is young, why wouldn't he look for the most money? The guy has won 2 SB's and goes back to his 2 BR condo.
What does that have to do with anything??? I never said I have a problem with him getting paid. I'm not asking the guy to play for league min. You are talking like you are scorned! I'm talking about the "Intention" of going from a SB team to the cellar of the league. WHo come out of a contract to look forward to going to the Lions or Raiders? It spells out money hunter to me and I question the guys love of the game.
but.....

I wonder what its like for him to walk into a few million dollar houses that those loser CB's from Oakland and San Fracisco... Denver and Detroit.... you know the greedy shallow ones who are only in it for the money..
I agree with you Felt, buy again...Who cares? If he has his "friends" who play for those teams influence his career choices I still question his love for the game and his maturity. He could get paid playing for a contender or a team on the verge. You don't go to the Raiders because you love the game of football and you want to win a championship...See what I mean?

I bet McFadden felt like those SB rings could be planted in the ground and a big old bank vault would grow...
You know what...If that is the way he feels...I as well as many Steelers fans don't want him back.

The SB and the rings are for the fans..... it's not like every player gets a check for 5 mill after winning a SB.. they get base pay.
I don't know how you say that. The stage of the SB is for the fans. The Rings, the titles, the prestige are for the players who work hard and earned that title. The ring has nothing to with a fan. Fans put them on a pedastal for bragging rights...But in the end it is for that player to take with him in his journey of life.

I don't see why going to the worst team for the most money is a bad thing... AZ was the worst team a few years ago... Miami was the worst team last year...
Then go to one of them. Even go to the Lions. If that is his only or highest offer weeks before the draft...Sign. I have a problem with his timing and process.

Again, I just think you are missing my point. It isn't about McFadden looking elsewhere for more money tha the Steelers. It is about who he went to first!

No use of arguing anymore because he didn't sign and I heard McFadden is scheduled
to meet with the Cardinals. The more & more I look at this I'm starting to wonder if these are "Drew" moves. Go to Colbert's old team and test Colbert's mentality. Also, the words "Intergrity, history, perrenial contender," came up during negotiations with the Steelers as reasons why McFadden should a take a discount. What better way to show that has no impact on where he signs. Next go to "Steelers West". If he leaves the Cards without a contract and schedule a vist with a divsion rival, I have a feeling this is all Drew. McFadden actually might want to return to the Steelers and is just trying to increase the Steelers asking price. I just don't know how much the STeelers will budge. We will have to see.

RuthlessBurgher
03-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Heath is our starting TE and does what a starting TE does... but how many games did Heath have impact plays? 5 for 57 in a SB isn't anything special for a TE.. no disrespect to Miller but you put him on the market with his numbers and it's donuts...

I think Heath would get a ton of interest on the market. Unlike prima donna TE's like Shockey and Winslow that teams keep trading for less than market value because they feel that they are better off without them, Heath just does his job in a business-like manner and has the ability to both catch and block. I just wish our O.C. utilized him to his full potential, since I think he has the ability to be an elite TE given the opportunity. I predict that we extend Harrison this offseason and franchise Miller next offseason.

feltdizz
03-01-2009, 03:15 PM

I think Heath would get a ton of interest on the market. Unlike prima donna TE's like Shockey and Winslow that teams keep trading for less than market value because they feel that they are better off without them, Heath just does his job in a business-like manner and has the ability to both catch and block. I just wish our O.C. utilized him to his full potential, since I think he has the ability to be an elite TE given the opportunity. I predict that we extend Harrison this offseason and franchise Miller next offseason.

Heath is good...
but my point is the question of how many games did he impact makes no sense IMO...

Nate had 40+ catches and 3 TD's for 600+ yards.. as a #3 WR
Heath had 40+ catches and 3 TD's for 500 yards.. as our starting TE (he is a TE so his blocking is an added bonus and appreciated)

Spaeth filled in for Heath and we didn't miss a beat..
Sweed filled in for Nate and he was terrible.. great block but terrible...

my point is Heath catching a 3rd down pass and rumbling 10 yards and a 1st down is "impact"

Nate catching a 3rd down pass for 15 yards is... "oh hum"

I'm not that big of a Nate fan... I think my issue with some fans is the blatant hypocrisy for a #3 WR and what he means to this team. No one on here can list a better #3 WR production wise besides ARE and that's only because he was a PR/QB who could throw.

feltdizz
03-01-2009, 03:23 PM
I don't see what you are saying here. You said the symbol was for the fans. To me you were saying "The Steelers" were for the fans. Playing for the Steelers had no significant meaning in a players eyes.

What does that have to do with anything??? I never said I have a problem with him getting paid. I'm not asking the guy to play for league min. You are talking like you are scorned! I'm talking about the "Intention" of going from a SB team to the cellar of the league. WHo come out of a contract to look forward to going to the Lions or Raiders? It spells out money hunter to me and I question the guys love of the game.
but.....

I agree with you Felt, buy again...Who cares? If he has his "friends" who play for those teams influence his career choices I still question his love for the game and his maturity. He could get paid playing for a contender or a team on the verge. You don't go to the Raiders because you love the game of football and you want to win a championship...See what I mean?

You know what...If that is the way he feels...I as well as many Steelers fans don't want him back.

I don't know how you say that. The stage of the SB is for the fans. The Rings, the titles, the prestige are for the players who work hard and earned that title. The ring has nothing to with a fan. Fans put them on a pedastal for bragging rights...But in the end it is for that player to take with him in his journey of life.

Then go to one of them. Even go to the Lions. If that is his only or highest offer weeks before the draft...Sign. I have a problem with his timing and process.

Again, I just think you are missing my point. It isn't about McFadden looking elsewhere for more money tha the Steelers. It is about who he went to first!

No use of arguing anymore because he didn't sign and I heard McFadden is scheduled
to meet with the Cardinals. The more & more I look at this I'm starting to wonder if these are "Drew" moves. Go to Colbert's old team and test Colbert's mentality. Also, the words "Intergrity, history, perrenial contender," came up during negotiations with the Steelers as reasons why McFadden should a take a discount. What better way to show that has no impact on where he signs. Next go to "Steelers West". If he leaves the Cards without a contract and schedule a vist with a divsion rival, I have a feeling this is all Drew. McFadden actually might want to return to the Steelers and is just trying to increase the Steelers asking price. I just don't know how much the STeelers will budge. We will have to see.

honesty... I do think BMac is as good as his agent or he thinks..
I keep repeating it.. William Gay looked better then BMac IMHO...

but I see no reason why BMac shouldn't try to get paid anywhere he can in the league..
look at JPeezy.. Miami had one win and then the next year they were in the playoffs...

Matt Millen is gone from the Lions.. not saying they will turn things around but why wouldn't he give them a shot if they were willing to pay for his services?

The integrity and respect is great and all and the Steelers are a classy organization...
but part of that talk is to low ball players... we let guys go just like other teams and make business/ cash saving decisions just like other teams...

Oviedo
03-02-2009, 09:01 AM
According to NFL Network last night Nate was having good talks with the Titans and was staying over through Monday. I hope it works out for him there.. please!!!!

ikestops85
03-02-2009, 03:40 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with Nate. He has a world of talent in getting open and the speed to make big plays but is generally bad at fighting the defender for the ball. Of course there is the occasional dropped ball which really drives me nuts.

He is one of Ben's favorite targets and he has come up big late in some games. I think his signature game this past year was against Dallas. He had 3 clutch catches late in the 4th quarter. His biggest being the catch where he takes it down to the 5 yard line on what ends up being the tying TD. He gets his legs rolled over and twisted by the defender and after staying on the ground for a while, with the trainers around him, he suddenly takes a huge leap to his feet and jogs off the field. I remember the stadium going wild when he does this. :Boobs

So I guess I'm saying I'd like them to sign him for a reasonable contract but if someone offers him a boat load of money then I'd say 'so long'. I don't mind any player taking advantage of what someone else offers as long as they don't bad mouth the Steelers. These guys have a career and I don't have a problem with them maximizing their paycheck while they can. To me it is funny when people say our players should stay and take millions less to do it. I don't care how much you make a million dollars is still a MILLION DOLLARS.

stlrz d
03-02-2009, 06:22 PM
http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news. ... tory=66496 (http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=66496)

Titans sign ex-Steeler WR
By: Terry McCormick, tmccormick@nashvillecitypaper.com
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2009 3:48 pm

The Tennessee Titans and representatives for free agent wide receiver Nate Washington have agreed terms on a free-agent contract.

Terms of the deal are not yet known. The Titans have called a 5 p.m. news conference.

Washington, 25, caught 40 passes as the third wide receiver for the Pittsburgh Steelers last season playing behind Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes.

Washington visited the Titans on Monday, and his agent Brian Overstreet had expressed over the weekend that Tennessee and the Detroit Lions were the two most likely destinations for him to end up.

Washington will help to replace Brandon Jones, who departed as a free agent to the San Francisco 49ers over the weekend.

The Titans also agreed to terms with former Vanderbilt defensive lineman Jovan Haye. He is expected to help fill the gap left by Albert Haynesworth.

JAR
03-02-2009, 06:32 PM
http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=66496

Titans sign ex-Steeler WR
By: Terry McCormick, tmccormick@nashvillecitypaper.com
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2009 3:48 pm

The Tennessee Titans and representatives for free agent wide receiver Nate Washington have agreed terms on a free-agent contract.

Terms of the deal are not yet known. The Titans have called a 5 p.m. news conference.

Washington, 25, caught 40 passes as the third wide receiver for the Pittsburgh Steelers last season playing behind Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes.

Washington visited the Titans on Monday, and his agent Brian Overstreet had expressed over the weekend that Tennessee and the Detroit Lions were the two most likely destinations for him to end up.

Washington will help to replace Brandon Jones, who departed as a free agent to the San Francisco 49ers over the weekend.

The Titans also agreed to terms with former Vanderbilt defensive lineman Jovan Haye. He is expected to help fill the gap left by Albert Haynesworth.

Let's hope Limas steps up next year.

ramblinjim
03-02-2009, 06:37 PM
I think Sweed will play well next year and we'll bring in someone from either the draft or off the practice squad to be the number four like Baker.

feltdizz
03-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Sweeeed better step up.

Steelerphile
03-02-2009, 08:01 PM
I guess the Nate haters can do the happy dance now. I still think of Nate as a rousing success story. Comes from Div III Tiffin. He developed just like a high draft choice. One year where he sat and watched and then got in and produced for three years and better than basically anybody they have had at that position. No he didn't return kicks, if he had, he would have been more valuable to the team.

He got better and stronger each year. Right now, I wouldn't necessarily say he looks like a solid No. 2 but if he takes another step, just like he has each year with the Steelers, then I think he has a good chance to become one.

Just because Sweed was a No. 2 draft choice that doesn't mean he will be better. In fact, I kind of doubt he will equal Nate's poduction. We'll see. I wouldn't say I have him completely figured out. Haven't seen enough. He doesn't return kicks either. I was taken with his highlight reel, but when I saw him in camp, I realized he wasn't quite the player I expected. He was a lot more raw. Highlight reels put back to back, all the best plays of a season, and every player in the NFL probably has a good college tape.

If Sweed is good, then next year he will be markedly better, because the good players take a big step from the rookie to the second season.

Good Luck Nate.

ikestops85
03-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Good luck Nate. Thanks for the memories and I hope you do well against everyone but us. :Clap

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Sweeeed better step up.

That's better Nate. Congrats to him...Thanks & Good luck! That is all I was talking about Felt. I'm sure the Lions offered him more but at least he went were he still could be playing in January.

As far as Sweed...
Scares me too. I don't think the Steelers are comfortable with the fact that Sweed now has to be the #3. I think we will see a vet. I wonder what Henderson or Williams would cost?

feltdizz
03-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Sweeeed better step up.

That's better Nate. Congrats to him...Thanks & Good luck! That is all I was talking about Felt. I'm sure the Lions offered him more but at least he went were he still could be playing in January.

As far as Sweed...
Scares me too. I don't think the Steelers are comfortable with the fact that Sweed now has to be the #3. I think we will see a vet. I wonder what Henderson or Williams would cost?

I would have had no problem if he went to the Lions.. they are a NFL football team....
there was a time when the Steelers were the Lions of the league back in the 1960's