PDA

View Full Version : Limas Sweed

NorthCoast
02-26-2009, 09:50 PM
For those hoping Sweed rises to his potential next season. Here is what they said pre-draft last year:

Limas Sweed WR 6'4 215 Texas 4.52
By: Robert Davis
Sweed moved into the starting lineup mid way through his freshman season and finished with 23 catches for 263 yards. As a sophomore, he hauled in 36 passes for 545 yards and five touchdowns, showcasing the big play ability that was expected of him when he signed with Texas. As a junior, he put it all together with career highs of 46 receptions, 801 yards and 12 TD’s on his way to All Big 12 1st team honors. His senior season ended prematurely with an injured wrist. He finished the season with 19 catches for 306 yards and three touchdowns.

Sweed is a huge target, that couples his size and strength with impressive athleticism. Sweed’s size makes him the perfect go to receiver because he physically overpowers defenders. He is an excellent intermediate threat, but has shown the ability to get down the field vertically as well. He has deceptive speed and once he gets down the field, his size and body control take over, and he becomes a nightmare matchup. He can go up and get the football as well as anyone in the draft.

While he has solid speed for his size, Sweed lacks the speed to run be defenders and the quickness in and out of breaks to shake defenders. He will not be able to rely on his size and natural athleticism to make plays.

Sweed’s shortened senior season will have no bearing on his draft stock. He has tested well in the post season and kept himself as a first round candidate. No receiver has taken a hold of the top receiver spot and any number of them could be the first one off the board, Sweed included.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/prospects/limas_sweed.html

Sounds like maybe he was a semi-project coming out.

hellbanger
02-26-2009, 10:06 PM
"Sounds like maybe he was a semi-project coming out."

I agree. He looks overwhelmed out there. He lacks the maturity, I believe, to be a break out player. I think with the right approach he can be coached to the position he needs to be in at the NFL level. Hines will straighten the youngster out.

He definatly has the ability to get open and be physical, His butterflies are gettting in his way of CATCHING the ball, which, unfortunatly for Limas right now, a WR HAS to do. Im very interested in how hes going to conduct himself this offseason. Find out if his collar is blue or hes just a kid in the candy store.

mshifko
02-26-2009, 10:08 PM
i honestly think he's going to be a great WR for us...this year we're going to see him make major impacts game in and game out...he'll step right in and we won't miss a beat with him being our #3 if nate leaves, which i feel will happen

RuthlessBurgher
02-26-2009, 10:13 PM
I don't see the maturity being a factor for him. He's a blue-collar down-home country farm-boy. He's not some hip-hop urban-gangsta prima-donna.

Wolfhound45
02-26-2009, 10:49 PM
i honestly think he's going to be a great WR for us...this year we're going to see him make major impacts game in and game out...he'll step right in and we won't miss a beat with him being our #3 if nate leaves, which i feel will happen

Excellent assessment mshifko.

NKySteeler
02-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Sounds like maybe he was a semi-project coming out.

Well... One heckuva "project" with our #2 pick... Great job, Colbert.... :roll:

NKySteeler
02-26-2009, 11:06 PM

I honestly hope you're right.... I want nothing more than to see our most recent picks do well.... Now, he didn't get much playing time at all last season. But when he was in there, he just didn't show me much... I won't bash, but I DO want to see more dependability from him.... He's got this coming season to prove himself as far as I'm concerned... Year #1 was typical, now it's time to show why he was picked so high in the draft...

Mister Pittsburgh
02-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Other than the dropped pass in the SD playoff game that Leftwhich put right on the numbers, the drop in the Baltimore game, and the hard hitting block he followed with, the play I remember is one in the preseason. I remember Sweed making a catch where he went and got the football on a deep pass and made a freaking great catch that was almost a TD but his butt hit the ground a micro second before his feet did in the endzone.

I watch those highlight videos of him on Youtube and Vince Young would pretty much just heave the ball downfield and Sweed would go up and get it. I think he will pan out. Give him a little time to put some meat on that frame too.

cxr344
02-27-2009, 12:36 AM
I watch those highlight videos of him on Youtube and Vince Young would pretty much just heave the ball downfield and Sweed would go up and get it. I think he will pan out. Give him a little time to put some meat on that frame too.

Agreed. It's really hard to watch those videos of him making sick catch after sick catch and think he won't be able to pull it together eventually.

I wonder if his wrist injury from college had an effect on him this past season, if not physically then mentally. Combine that with rookie jitters and it might be enough to distract him and keep him from catching a few easy balls.

Still, I have all the faith in the world that he'll be able to replace Nate.

RuthlessBurgher
02-27-2009, 12:39 AM

Agreed. It's really hard to watch those videos of him making sick catch after sick catch and think he won't be able to pull it together eventually.

I wonder if his wrist injury from college had an effect on him this past season, if not physically then mentally. Combine that with rookie jitters and it might be enough to distract him and keep him from catching a few easy balls.

Solid first post. Welcome to the Planet. :tt2 :Steel :tt1

AkronSteel
02-27-2009, 02:08 AM

:Clap

Very good analysis on Sweed! I think that you have hit the nail on the head, so to speak! I think that Mendy and Sweed will make major contributions to our team next year!

Mister Pittsburgh
02-27-2009, 08:33 AM
I have high hopes, but am fearful something is up with him because I kept hearing that he was dropping a lot of balls in practice. I remember hearing they got him a set of contacts during mini camp or training camp so I hope he doesn't have some vision problem or something that is bothering him.

calmkiller
02-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Its funny how this sounds like the exact same post that we had about Nate a few years ago. Even though Nate wasn't a 2nd round draft pick, it was just like this, Half said he sucks and drops the ball to much, the other half said he will grow into the position. The next season it was 90% bashing Nate and 10% taking up for him. Now that Nate is a very good receiver probably one of the best 3rd receivers in the league and getting ready to leave (which I personally hate) everyone is starting over with Sweed. Ironic I feel.

RKSteel
02-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Sweed will be fine. There has to be a huge learning curve from college to the NFL. It might take some adjusting. Sweed's head was probably spinning out there.

I remember my first job out of college, I was nervous hoping I didn't mess anything up. And that was without some LB, or DB trying to knock me out after I completed my task.

Oviedo
02-27-2009, 09:28 AM
I found this most interesting

Sweed lacks the speed to run be defenders and the quickness in and out of breaks to shake defenders

This was the least of his problems last year. He was blowing by defenders. I think he will end up being a solid WR who has to be accounted for.

Djfan
02-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Once Nate is gone for sure, Ben will hang out with Sweed and invest tons of time into being on the same page with him. Between Ben and Hines, even Holmes, Sweed will have lots of attention and help.

He will be fine.

RuthlessBurgher
02-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Sweed will be fine. There has to be a huge learning curve from college to the NFL. It might take some adjusting. Sweed's head was probably spinning out there.

I remember my first job out of college, I was nervous hoping I didn't mess anything up. And that was without some LB, or DB trying to knock me out after I completed my task.

Terry Tate doesn't work in your office?

http://www.website-de-hoolio.net/images/terrytate.jpg

RKSteel
02-27-2009, 10:30 AM

Now I wish he worked for me, I have some staff that could use a little motivation.
:D

feltdizz
02-27-2009, 01:12 PM
I found this most interesting

Sweed lacks the speed to run be defenders and the quickness in and out of breaks to shake defenders

This was the least of his problems last year. He was blowing by defenders. I think he will end up being a solid WR who has to be accounted for.

I didn't see him blowing by guys...
I saw him slipping past defenders who were biting on the run...

Iron Shiek
02-27-2009, 01:15 PM

Probably my favorite advertisements....EVER.

feltdizz
02-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Its funny how this sounds like the exact same post that we had about Nate a few years ago. Even though Nate wasn't a 2nd round draft pick, it was just like this, Half said he sucks and drops the ball to much, the other half said he will grow into the position. The next season it was 90% bashing Nate and 10% taking up for him. Now that Nate is a very good receiver probably one of the best 3rd receivers in the league and getting ready to leave (which I personally hate) everyone is starting over with Sweed. Ironic I feel.

I truly think if Sweed post Nate type stats next year we will be happy... which is weird.

I think Sweed has the potential to be better then Nate and blossom into a solid #2WR...
but I never understood the hate for Nate as a #3WR...

cxr344
02-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Solid first post. Welcome to the Planet. :tt2 :Steel :tt1

Thank you, thank you. :Bow

I've been lurking for a while now but finally decided to chime in. Just can't get enough Steelers after #6 this year.

TallyStiller
02-27-2009, 06:12 PM
I don't think we can possibly have too many playmakers at the position... Not knowing how much longer Hines' knees hold up, and owing to the fact that his deal is up after this year, I wouldn't be averse to adding another WR early this year regardless of what we think of Limas' potential. We need to make sure Ben has plenty of weapons whether Limas turns out to be a stud or a dud.

Jooser
02-27-2009, 07:55 PM
I think Sweed's going to just fine after he gets over his nerves and butter fingers.

:wink:

jrobitaille23
02-27-2009, 09:52 PM
You guys are crazy. Everyone knows it takes up to three years for WR to develop in the NFL. This guy runs a 4.3 and is tall and athletic. He barely played and even rarer...had the ball thrown to him. Yes he dropped a couple but he and Holmes are going to be best tandem in league for next six years.

Steve Smith had 10 catches his rookie year
Terrell Owens had 35 catches his rookie year
Chad Johnson had 28 cathces his rookie year
Santonio Holmes has averaged 52 catches in his three year career

Limas Sweed unlike the above was the fourth string guy and got no looks, no PT and limited chances when he did.

I am very optimistic he will be a very valuable contributor next year and years to come.
It's the beauty of the Steelers that they took a flyer on him knowing he had time to develop. Insane they got him in second round for his talent level.

RKSteel
02-27-2009, 10:24 PM
You guys are crazy. Everyone knows it takes up to three years for WR to develop in the NFL. This guy runs a 4.3 and is tall and athletic. He barely played and even rarer...had the ball thrown to him. Yes he dropped a couple but he and Holmes are going to be best tandem in league for next six years.

Steve Smith had 10 catches his rookie year
Terrell Owens had 35 catches his rookie year
Chad Johnson had 28 cathces his rookie year
Santonio Holmes has averaged 52 catches in his three year career

Limas Sweed unlike the above was the fourth string guy and got no looks, no PT and limited chances when he did.

I am very optimistic he will be a very valuable contributor next year and years to come.
It's the beauty of the Steelers that they took a flyer on him knowing he had time to develop. Insane they got him in second round for his talent level.Dude, quit with all this crazy talk, coming on here an posting logically. No more of this nonsense. :D

RuthlessBurgher
02-28-2009, 12:56 AM
I think Sweed's going to just fine after he gets over his nerves and butter fingers.

:wink:

Casey Hampton might want to avoid the butterfingers this offseason as well. :wink:

http://www.cyll.org/images/sarah_and_john/butterfinger_before.jpg