PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Release Simmons, Humphal

Mister Pittsburgh
02-26-2009, 05:55 PM
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09057/951915-66.stm

Steelers release guard Simmons, linebacker Humphal
Thursday, February 26, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers today released starting guard Kendall Simmons, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Simmons had an Achilles tendon torn in the fourth game of last season and was placed on injured reserve and did not play again.

He was their first-round draft choice in 2002 and became their starting right guard as a rookie. He remained their starter except when he spent 2004 on injured reserve and until his injury last season.

They also released linebacker Mike Humpal, a sixth-round draft choice last year. Humpal was on injured reserve with a neck injury.

First published on February 26, 2009 at 4:45 pm

pittpete
02-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Sorry to be so cruel, but thank the lord

steeler_george
02-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Had the biggest feeling, not that he would be cut, but that he was done...the acheilis injuy way to hard to come back and perform.

What does this mean if he signs with another team? Is his money still guaranteed.

Wish the best.

WoodleyofTroy
02-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Interesting.

Find the correct answer.

-Chris Kemoeatu re-sign in the works.
-Move Willie Colon to Guard and focus on Tackle in FA or Draft.
-Sign Jeff Saturday to Guard.
-Draft Alex Mack, Max Unger, or Eric Wood (or two :tt2 ) and put them at Guard for a year.

SteelHead
02-26-2009, 06:22 PM
For those who are familiar with the cap/contracts and what not......

Was this possibly a move to help free up some more room to resign Deebo ?

stlrz d
02-26-2009, 06:23 PM
I read elsewhere that cutting Simmons saves about $5 million this season.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-26-2009, 06:24 PM
That REALLY surprises me... iirc, he's not a savings to cut - he's actually a LOSS... that's getting off on the wrong foot, if you ask me... it'll make the cap tighter AND create a need for one more guard...

SteelBucks
02-26-2009, 06:25 PM
If Kemo leaves as expected, we are WEAK at Guard. Jeff Saturday would help at LG but RG is a problem....I'm not sure I would bet the house on Stapleton being the long term answer.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens in FA and the draft.

SteelBucks
02-26-2009, 06:25 PM
That REALLY surprises me... iirc, he's not a savings to cut - he's actually a LOSS... that's getting off on the wrong foot, if you ask me... it'll make the cap tighter AND create a need for one more guard...

:Agree

steeler_george
02-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Interesting.

Find the correct answer.

-Draft Alex Mack, Max Unger, or Eric Wood (or two :tt2 ) and put them at Guard for a year.

All those points are very legit and possible.

I'll rank in what I think is most possible.

-Draft Alex Mack, Max Unger, or Eric Wood (or two :tt2 ) and put them at Guard for a year. Regardless if we select one in rd 1 -3, this team needs an upgrade at G.

-Move Willie Colon to Guard and focus on Tackle in FA or Draft. You forgot the "Hill factor". I am not counting on it, but never know. Plus this draft is suppose to be deep in RT.

-Sign Jeff Saturday to Guard. Rumors! Rumors! Rumors! It might not just be Saturday but an other FA cap cut casualty....like a Hartwigs.

Kemo if signed on the cheap stays. Easily replaced, offers depth and flexibility going into the draft.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-26-2009, 06:40 PM
correction to my earlier post... if I've done the math correctly, it's about a wash (net savings of $40,000)...

Kids, we're trading up for a guard. Or plucking an interior lineman in FA.

Oviedo
02-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Interesting.

Find the correct answer.

All those points are very legit and possible.

I'll rank in what I think is most possible.

-Draft Alex Mack, Max Unger, or Eric Wood (or two :tt2 ) and put them at Guard for a year. Regardless if we select one in rd 1 -3, this team needs an upgrade at G.

-Move Willie Colon to Guard and focus on Tackle in FA or Draft. You forgot the "Hill factor". I am not counting on it, but never know. Plus this draft is suppose to be deep in RT.

-Sign Jeff Saturday to Guard. Rumors! Rumors! Rumors! It might not just be Saturday but an other FA cap cut casualty....like a Hartwigs.

Kemo if signed on the cheap stays. Easily replaced, offers depth and flexibility going into the draft.

I think Kraig Urbik will be the best Guard in this draft. Grab him in Round 2

WoodleyofTroy
02-26-2009, 06:48 PM
correction to my earlier post... if I've done the math correctly, it's about a wash (net savings of $40,000)...

They'll be fine at #32 if they want a Guard. I like Eric Wood at that position more so than Duke Robinson. I wouldn't be opposed to him, but too many reports out there remind me of another lazy mental error interior OL. Not the case with Wood.

Steelhere10
02-26-2009, 06:52 PM
i have 1 word for you yes

mshifko
02-26-2009, 06:57 PM
kind of shocked they released simmons, but he had that bad achilles injury...plus it saves us money

saturday or a draft pick?

WoodleyofTroy
02-26-2009, 07:04 PM

I wouldn't mind both.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-26-2009, 07:05 PM

They'll be fine at #32 if they want a Guard. I like Eric Wood at that position more so than Duke Robinson. I wouldn't be opposed to him, but too many reports out there remind me of another lazy mental error interior OL. Not the case with Wood.
Being in Louisville, and a Louisville alum, I know Wood well.

He's a high character guy, a leader on the o-line and football smart. I've seen him get blown back a time or two, though (I'm sure it happens to all of 'em). You could probably get Wood at the end of the 2nd and let him be the C of the future.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-26-2009, 07:05 PM

I wouldn't mind both.
we're gonna need at least 2 interior linemen...

SteelHead
02-26-2009, 07:09 PM

Thanks Deville....

SteelBucks
02-26-2009, 07:19 PM
kind of shocked they released simmons, but he had that bad achilles injury...plus it saves us money

Probably need both.....

buckeyehoppy
02-26-2009, 07:19 PM

I wouldn't mind both.

Both...Yes!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-26-2009, 07:32 PM
WOW!!! That's a surprise!

My mock looks more realistic now. The two biggest question are...Is Kemo close & is Colon a G!!!

DukieBoy
02-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Had the biggest feeling, not that he would be cut, but that he was done...the acheilis injuy way to hard to come back and perform.

What does this mean if he signs with another team? Is his money still guaranteed.

Wish the best.

I wonder about the effects of diabetes on Kendall's recovery from the torn achilles, surgery, and recovery to the strength needed for football. Wish Kendall well, too, and give him my respect... he persevered in the face of the difficult challenge of playing through his diabetes.

NorthCoast
02-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Good move by the FO. Simmons had nothing left in the tank. People seem to have short memories in regard to his last extended playing time. He was plain awful and certainly no better than Stapleton. Stapleton has youth and possible improvement on his side. Simmons had nothing but downside left.

Discipline of Steel
02-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Although I feel bad for the individual, I am glad Simmons is out of the equation. He can now focus on his rehab and we can focus on ours (on the OL). That makes me 2 for 2 this offseason..called Simmons yesterday and called Marshawn Lynch for weed a few weeks ago. Im having a great offseason so far! :idea:

Didnt see the Humpal move though, I guess Foote will not be retiring to Detroit any time soon.

Iron Shiek
02-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Although I feel bad for the individual, I am glad Simmons is out of the equation. He can now focus on his rehab and we can focus on ours (on the OL). That makes me 2 for 2 this offseason..called Simmons yesterday and called Marshawn Lynch for weed a few weeks ago. Im having a great offseason so far! :idea:

Didnt see the Humpal move though, I guess Foote will not be retiring to Detroit any time soon.

Ha...DoS goin for Nostradamus award! Now if you would've called Shane Lechler's record breaking contract...I would be doing this right now: :Bow But instead you get a :Cheers which is probably better since it involves beer! Hooray Beer!

Discipline of Steel
02-26-2009, 09:21 PM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":toazzrjv]Although I feel bad for the individual, I am glad Simmons is out of the equation. He can now focus on his rehab and we can focus on ours (on the OL). That makes me 2 for 2 this offseason..called Simmons yesterday and called Marshawn Lynch for weed a few weeks ago. Im having a great offseason so far! :idea:

Ha...DoS goin for Nostradamus award! Now if you would've called Shane Lechler's record breaking contract...I would be doing this right now: :Bow But instead you get a :Cheers which is probably better since it involves beer! Hooray Beer![/quote:toazzrjv]

Thank you my friend! I have one left in the fridge and Im cracking it right now... :Beer

BradshawsHairdresser
02-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Wow...I didn't hear any of the "experts" predict Ken-Doll to be released...

This makes me think the Steelers are, indeed, thinking about trying to sign Jeff Saturday.
Not sure I like that idea all that much...yeah, he has leadership qualities, but is he much of a run blocker? And has he really been THAT good at blocking for the pass, or do the Colts just have a quick passing game and a quick-passing QB that has made him look good?

RuthlessBurgher
02-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Wow...I didn't hear any of the "experts" predict Ken-Doll to be released...

This makes me think the Steelers are, indeed, thinking about trying to sign Jeff Saturday.
Not sure I like that idea all that much...yeah, he has leadership qualities, but is he much of a run blocker? And has he really been THAT good at blocking for the pass, or do the Colts just have a quick passing game and a quick-passing QB that has made him look good?

Saturday already re-signed a 3 year deal with the Colts before free agency starts (three-and-a-half hours from now)

RuthlessBurgher
02-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Perhaps instead, we could look into how much Brandon Moore, a five year starter at RG for the Jets who is still only 28 years old, might be looking for in free agency.

dirt
02-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Are D of S and I the only ones surprised they let Humpal go? I thought they liked him.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-26-2009, 10:09 PM
I read elsewhere that cutting Simmons saves about $5 million this season.

As I posted elsewhere:

as far as I can see it will not save us any money this year. As far as I have seen, Simmons has $4.71M unclaimed SB left to write off, and that will be done this year because he was released before June 1.

His cap hit this year was set to be $4.67M, so the difference is a wash and they still need to pay a body to replace him on the roster.

grotonsteel
02-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Are D of S and I the only ones surprised they let Humpal go? I thought they liked him.

I am disappointed. I thought he would be a ST Beast.

Donovon Woods must be the man Steelers want.

RuthlessBurgher
02-26-2009, 10:16 PM

I assume that both releases were injury-related. Simmons with the Achilles and Humpal with the neck injury. Both finished last season on I.R., and I guess that they aren't progressing as well as the team thought they might, making them expendable at this point.

steelz09
02-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Releasing Humpal does surprise me. Thank goodness for the release of Simmons. While, I feel bad for his diabetes issue, I was calling for him to be let go for awhile now.

As far as LB goes, I guess Woods and Fox have really impressed. I haven't seen much of Woods, but Fox seems to be solid (and he's 26). I think we'll see both a LB pick around pick 4-5.

And for our G situation. Stapleton has a future IMO. However, with free agency about to start, I think Kemo is gone. Firstly, I'm surprised the Steelers want to sign him that badly but I think if they were going to work something out, it would have already happened. I guess Kemo wants to set the FA market because he thinks he's worth big bucks. Well, SEE YA Kemo, your not THAT good... average maybe.

So, that leaves us minus two guards but yet they tender Colon for a 1st rounder? Is that writing on the wall that they want Colon at G? I hope so!

LT: Starks / Hills
LG: Colon
C: Hartwig
RG: Stapleton / Rookie (possibly Mack?)
RT: Hills / Capizzi / Rookie

All this speculation :)

MeetJoeGreene
02-26-2009, 11:14 PM

I was a bit surprised at that....

..this means we pick an ILB somewhere in the draft for sure....

Mister Pittsburgh
02-26-2009, 11:25 PM

Definately wouldn't be super upset if there was a good ILB type available in the second or third and they pulled the trigger. Prefer a possible sleeper type in the later rounds but could understand what they are thinking if they got one early.

TallyStiller
02-27-2009, 12:33 AM
WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! People are gonna be wondering what the smile and the giddyup in my step are all about tomorrow at work... Come to think of it, I may take the day off and go on a celebratory bender :D Nothing against Mr. Simmons - wish him nothing but the best as he moves on... but I could not be happier that he's going!!! The team will be better going forward without him.

calmkiller
02-27-2009, 08:55 AM

Being in Louisville, and a Louisville alum, I know Wood well.

He's a high character guy, a leader on the o-line and football smart. I've seen him get blown back a time or two, though (I'm sure it happens to all of 'em). You could probably get Wood at the end of the 2nd and let him be the C of the future.

I know you know these players well Deville, But I have seen him get blown backwards in College, What do you think a 380 pound DT in the NFL will do to him. Mahan v 2.0? I am not really interested in seeing that again.

pfelix73
02-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Just catching up on Steelers news from the past 2 days, as I was out.- Wow about Simmons. He'll go somewhere and start right away, I'm sure. Not so sure what they are thinking- just on the standpoint of having bodies in camp that have experience.

Saturday signed a 3 year contract with the Colts, so that ain't happening.... What other Guards are FA's?

Can someone list them? Again? Link?

Thanks.

Oviedo
02-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Guards
1 Chris Kemoeatu (35) Pittsburgh Steelers
2 Mike Goff (39) San Diego Chargers
3 Derrick Dockery (50) Buffalo Bills
4 Kendall Simmons (NR) Pittsburgh Steelers
5 Cooper Carlisle (NR) Oakland Raiders
3 Brandon Moore (NR) New York Jets

Offensive tackles
1 Khalif Barnes (26) Jacksonville Jaguars
2 Mark Tauscher (27) Green Bay Packers
3 Jonathan Stinchcomb (42) New Orleans Saints
4 Marvel Smith (45) Pittsburgh Steelers
5 Stacy Andrews (47) Cincinnati Bengals

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ef3860&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

RuthlessBurgher
02-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Just catching up on Steelers news from the past 2 days, as I was out.- Wow about Simmons. He'll go somewhere and start right away, I'm sure. Not so sure what they are thinking- just on the standpoint of having bodies in camp that have experience.

Saturday signed a 3 year contract with the Colts, so that ain't happening.... What other Guards are FA's?

Can someone list them? Again? Link?

Thanks.

You think a guy with diabetes coming off a debilitating Achilles injury will be able to go somewhere and start right away? Since we didn't gain any cap space by cutting him, he would still be here if he could play.

pfelix73
02-27-2009, 11:30 AM
As I've said before, the Type II Diabetes IS NOT affecting him at his age and this stage. Just put that out of your minds, folks unless you know a thing or 2 about the disease. I'm a diabetic- have been one for some time now and I played division 1 football with it. It NEVER affected me in the least when it came time to practice/ play/ etc.... And the same goes for Simmons. Just trust me on that one. We're actually on the same insulin, treatment. As far as the Achilles tendon, now that is a different story, but that and the Diabetes are no way related......

Yep- Kendall is a starting Guard in this league and will wind up on his feet- so to speak-

**All this is now mute, because he is no longer a Steeler- unless he comes back. I know he doesn't want to move.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-27-2009, 12:18 PM
As I've said before, the Type II Diabetes IS NOT affecting him at his age and this stage. Just put that out of your minds, folks unless you know a thing or 2 about the disease. I'm a diabetic- have been one for some time now and I played division 1 football with it. It NEVER affected me in the least when it came time to practice/ play/ etc.... And the same goes for Simmons. Just trust me on that one. We're actually on the same insulin, treatment. As far as the Achilles tendon, now that is a different story, but that and the Diabetes are no way related......

Yep- Kendall is a starting Guard in this league and will wind up on his feet- so to speak-

**All this is now mute, because he is no longer a Steeler- unless he comes back. I know he doesn't want to move.

I'm no doctor but Simmons never returned to form after his diagnosis. He was never the same player. Tunch & Woolfe said the Steelers trainer told them Simmons dropped 25-30 pounds and was noticeably weaker in the weight room. So speaking from experience from what it is like stepping away from the weight room as a OL from injury...It takes a long time and hard work to build your self up...The fall is far when you can't workout. My squat dropped off significantly after my 1st knee injury. I was working out on the bike, on the leg press, and being active through recovery. When I was ready to hit the squat rack...Huge fall off. It took a long time to get back where I was. 2 years to feel like I did before my first surgery. From what I understood about Simmons is he had several months away from working out to try to get his diabetes under control and he was diagnosed mid life. Was yours at birth, early in life, or in the middle of your football career?

pfelix73
02-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Simmons dropped 30 lbs BEFORE he was diagnosed. When has was put on Humalog (a short acting insulin) and Lantus (a longer acting basal insulin) he immediatley gained back all of the weight he lost and added more. The body could then be allowed to use the proteins correctly because the body had the insulin working again. His blood sugar is now even more normal (if that's possible) than someone who doesn't even have Diabetes.

Someone that does not have type 2 diabetes will have anormal range of 80-120 before meals. After one eats, it rises above 180 usually for a bit then drops back down to normal. Kendall's usually stays under 150 even after a meal. Same here. It's more constant.

What you are referring to (a dropoff?) is merely an opinion, but would have nothing to do with diabetes.

pfelix73
02-27-2009, 12:43 PM
I'm not gonna continue this by beating a dead horse, but I try to educate when I can on the disease as most people really just don't know enough about it. But here's an example- The QB from Denver was recently diagnosed- Cutler- and he didn't slack off......

Iron Shiek
02-27-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm not gonna continue this by beating a dead horse, but I try to educate when I can on the disease as most people really just don't know enough about it. But here's an example- The QB from Denver was recently diagnosed- Cutler- and he didn't slack off......

Wait you are kidding right? The end of 2007 season, Cutler lost like 20 or 30 lbs and I have heard him and Shanahan in numerous interviews directly state that his issue was the reason why. And look at how bad he struggled down the stretch that year. Brandon Marshall even stated that he could not make the throws that he was making when he first took over as starter.

I don't doubt your claims about it not affecting you or Simmons, but I don't think Cutler can be used as an example to state the case.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Simmons dropped 30 lbs BEFORE he was diagnosed. When has was put on Humalog (a short acting insulin) and Lantus (a longer acting basal insulin) he immediatley gained back all of the weight he lost and added more. The body could then be allowed to use the proteins correctly because the body had the insulin working again. His blood sugar is now even more normal (if that's possible) than someone who doesn't even have Diabetes.

Someone that does not have type 2 diabetes will have anormal range of 80-120 before meals. After one eats, it rises above 180 usually for a bit then drops back down to normal. Kendall's usually stays under 150 even after a meal. Same here. It's more constant.

What you are referring to (a dropoff?) is merely an opinion, but would have nothing to do with diabetes.

And why wouldn't it??? If I have to stay out of the weight room for 3-4 months and the weight I put back on is fat...How doesn't that have an influence on performance...From diabetes!!! He isn't a QB...He is an OL that relies heavily on his strength & agilty. Anytime you are forced out of your workout routine there is an impact. It isn't "Diabetes" directly...But is what he went through because of his diabetes.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-27-2009, 01:14 PM

A QB??? No a good example. I would be willing to say anyone in the front 7 or OL would have some kind of fall-off for a period of time or permanantly from diabetes diagnosed mid point in their career. It is highly possible as well as higly unlikely the athlete returns or never returns to full strength. I have know several people with diabetes. Some from birth & some later in life. The spectrum of affect on their lives is from no affect what so ever to their endurance, strength, and lifestyle change. I'm not trying to argue with you about diabetes but from a physical aspect of any setback in your health there are side affects...Short term or long term. When an athlete goes through weight loss, stepping away from his physical activities, and trying to get a disease under control...To trying to make a comeback but falling short of performance before his diagnosis...I think you could say it could possibly be a reason. It is only saying..."If it walks like a duck..."!

RuthlessBurgher
02-27-2009, 01:32 PM
I doubt that anybody thinks his demise is solely because of the diabetes. He tore his ACL during his second year in the league. In 2006, he was receiving treatment for a heel injury, then fell asleep with a cooling device on his foot and developed frostbite. He tore his Achilles' tendon this past season. All of it contributed to the downfall of what appeared to be a promising career during his rookie season.

SteelTorch
02-27-2009, 02:10 PM

Save it. You're one of only 5 people in the country who was bending over backwards to defend this garbage guard - and even that was because your his metaphorical butt buddy. If you didn't know him personally, you would feel the same way as the rest of us. And now he's gone. So this is where I get to point a finger and yell -

http://op-for.com/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

pfelix73
02-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Save what? Your cartoons tend to make you look like a child.

#73 will end up on someone's roster and compete for a starting position. Maybe he'll even be back as a Steeler, now wouldn't that be interesting. Afterall, he's still better than who we have now at RG. I'm not counting on it, however.