PDA

View Full Version : Colon Gets First Round Tender

phillyesq
02-26-2009, 05:25 PM
http://profootball.scout.com/2/842586.html

OT Gets First-Round Tender

By Adam Caplan

Posted Feb 26, 2009

The Pittsburgh Steelers placed a first-round tender on ORT Willie Colon, Scout.com has confirmed. Colon will receive the one-year tender level at $2.198 million.

Should another team sign Colon to an offer sheet and Pittsburgh decided not to match it, the Steelers would be entitled to a first-round pick in compensation from the other team.

Colon was selected in the fourth round of the 2006 draft.

I would have much rather seen a second round tender. Looks like Bouchette was right.

Lebsteel
02-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Hmmm....obviously he must be in the Steelers future plans, hopefully as a guard :Clap

grotonsteel
02-26-2009, 05:39 PM

By Adam Caplan

Posted Feb 26, 2009

The Pittsburgh Steelers placed a first-round tender on ORT Willie Colon, Scout.com has confirmed. Colon will receive the one-year tender level at $2.198 million.

Should another team sign Colon to an offer sheet and Pittsburgh decided not to match it, the Steelers would be entitled to a first-round pick in compensation from the other team.

I would have much rather seen a second round tender. Looks like Bouchette was right.

With this no way Steelers are going for a tackle at 1.32 unless some stud OT falls down the draft.

Either it is OG/OC or D-Lineman with a Tackle in mid-round who can develop into a starter in 2-3 years.

Veteran WR in FA.

GreggyDigital
02-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Makes me think he was getting a decent amount of attention from other clubs.

True Fan
02-26-2009, 05:46 PM
what a waste of money. they should have slapped a second on him and either save some cash or hope someone takes him away from us. i would rather have the pick.

steeler_george
02-26-2009, 07:04 PM
what a waste of money. they should have slapped a second on him and either save some cash or hope someone takes him away from us. i would rather have the pick.

In a perfect world, I would say yes. However, this addition is a move to add more depth and flexibility going into the draft. Kemo may walk. Smith is gone. Simmons is cut. That is 3 starters last year gone.

Does anyone have a complete quick list of our current OL on the roster?

buckeyehoppy
02-26-2009, 07:32 PM

By Adam Caplan

Posted Feb 26, 2009

With this no way Steelers are going for a tackle at 1.32 unless some stud OT falls down the draft.

Either it is OG/OC or D-Lineman with a Tackle in mid-round who can develop into a starter in 2-3 years.

Veteran WR in FA.

If we are giving Colon a 1st Round tender, there's no way they could be thinking of him as staying at RT. Hence, they will need to take a T in either the 1st or 2nd.

If Colon is staying, he's staying as a G. If they can get Saturday, that will add another G. Getting both gives you the starting R and L Gs, respectively.

Right now, our Ts on the roster are: Starks, Smith, Capizzi, Hills and Colon...that's it. Smith is all but gone. Colon would be a mistake to consider beyond this point at T. Starks gave us some good work in relief of Smith, but what does he do for an encore and where will he be after next year? That leaves Capizzi and Hills...

...nervous yet? Care to rethink the statement about not drafting a T in the 1st Round?

NW Steeler
02-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Why does everyone keep saying that Colon will be moved to guard? Has anyone in the Steeler organization ever gave that indication?

SidSmythe
02-26-2009, 08:51 PM
that would be cool if the LIONS picked him up!!! :tt1

pittpete
02-26-2009, 09:07 PM

LT Max Starks Tony Hills
LG (Chris Kemoeatu) Jeremy Parquet
C Justin Hartwig
RG Darnell Stapleton (Trai Essex)
RT Willie Colon Jason Capizzi
(____)= Free Agents

Pretty scary

steeler_george
02-27-2009, 03:58 AM

LT Max Starks Tony Hills
LG (Chris Kemoeatu) Jeremy Parquet
C Justin Hartwig
RG Darnell Stapleton (Trai Essex)
RT Willie Colon Jason Capizzi
(____)= Free Agents

Pretty scary

A good scary it is ... cleaning house and revamping.
Thanks for the list!!!

That is 7 players signed on the squad, 2 are just warm bodies, non-factors (Parquet & Capizzi) ...and how many do we usually have on the roster? about 11?

Look for a definite FA signing for depth and experience to mix with several draft selections.

steelblood
02-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Makes me think he was getting a decent amount of attention from other clubs.

Other clubs were not allowed to talk to him before we slapped the first round tender on him. This was an example of the Steelers competing with themselves and losing. Colon should have received the second round tender. Also, resigning ERFA Carey Davis was a total waste. If ever there was a player that we needed to upgrade, this is the guy.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Why does everyone keep saying that Colon will be moved to guard? Has anyone in the Steeler organization ever gave that indication?

For the past two years, I've been reading about how the Steelers ought to/are going to move Colon to guard. Nothing the Steelers have said or done has given ANY indication that they are even CONSIDERING this. Until I hear something from WITHIN the organization
about moving Willie to guard, I will have to assume he is only in their plans as a TACKLE.

Lebsteel
02-27-2009, 04:52 PM

For the past two years, I've been reading about how the Steelers ought to/are going to move Colon to guard. Nothing the Steelers have said or done has given ANY indication that they are even CONSIDERING this. Until I hear something from WITHIN the organization
about moving Willie to guard, I will have to assume he is only in their plans as a TACKLE.

As Ruthless said on another thread, Colon is the perfect size and athletic type for a GUARD, 6'3" 315 lbs. That is not RT size, so I am hoping that Hills, who is 6'5" 310 and very athletic is ready to go. So for next year, could we have:

LT-Starks
LG-Kemo
C-Hartwig
RG-Colon
RT-Hills

Our picks could then look something like:

1. CB (Smith, Butler, Moore)/DL (Hood, Jackson)
2. OG (Urbik, Wood)
3. C (Shipley, Caldwell)
3a. NT (Hill, Scott, Taylor)
4. WR (Butler, Norwood, Cosby)