PDA

View Full Version : RFA Tenders - What To Do

phillyesq
02-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Here is an excerpt from Bouchette's article in the PG giving his opinion as to what the Steelers will do with restricted free agent tenders. I posted this on another board as well.

Restricted

OT Willie Colon should receive a high tender to ensure he returns to start on the right side.

FB Sean McHugh became their starter and did a decent job as a blocker, but it will be tough to put a high tender on him.

CB Anthony Madison became one of their top special teams players. Could receive a low tender.

G Jeremy Parquet was a backup who played little and is not likely to be tendered.

S Anthony Smith did not suit up for the playoffs but could receive a tender that would bring them a third-round pick if someone signs him.

Here is a longer article from Bouchette dealing with just the free agent tenders:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09057/95182...66.stm

If I was the Steelers, I would give the following tenders:

Colon: 2nd round. I don't see anybody giving up a second round pick to sign Colon. With all of the uncertainty on the offensive line, I think that bringing Colon into the fold for another year is prudent. I think RT is a position where the Steelers need to improve, but with all of the uncertainty, you have to bring him back. I wouldn't go with the first round tender, nor would I go with the low tender.

Bouchette thinks that the Steelers will give him the high tender (about $2.2 million, but not the highest). I don't think the Steelers need to give him that much. I'd rather see the Steelers give him the second round tender $1.54 and save the money on the cap.

McHugh: low tender (based on position flexibility). I'd like to bring him back into the fold, and although $1 million is a bit steep, IMO, its worth it for somebody that can contribute as a third TE and as a fullback.

Smith: low tender. I go back and forth on this, but I'm leaning towards the low tender. $1 million is a lot for a guy that never suited up, but he flashed enough potential that I'd hope somebody else signs him, bringing the Steelers a third. I'd imagine that a trade could also be an option, maybe for a fourth.

Parquet: See Ya!

Madison: tough call. Great special teams player, but I'm not sure if he is worth the $1 million tender.

Total potential tenders:

If Colon gets the high tender, and tenders are extended to Madison and Smith, that is $5.2 of cap money tied up.

If Colon gets the second round tender, and McHugh gets the only other tender, that is about just $2.5 million of cap money.

So, what does everybody else think?

RuthlessBurgher
02-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Low tender for McHugh and Smith. 2nd round tender for Colon. Roughly $3.5 million cap hit for those three guys total. Don't tender Madison or Parquet. You could probably re-sign them for less than the $1 million low tender amount.

Oviedo
02-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Low tender for McHugh and Smith. 2nd round tender for Colon. Roughly $3.5 million cap hit for those three guys total. Don't tender Madison or Parquet. You could probably re-sign them for less than the $1 million low tender amount.

I would agree just hoping that someone takes Smith. The tender for Colon would put his salary about right for a Guard which is where he needs to be playing.

I would not tender Madison. You can call him an "ace" but Patrick Baily did fine and kept getting better and I would strongly prefer to keep Keyaron Fox over Madison.

papillon
02-26-2009, 02:34 PM
I'd give colon the 2nd round tender and hope someone signs him for their second round pick, it has to be better than 2.64, then we would have some maneuvering room with picks and maybe get a player they really like.

If no one signs him, I have no problem bringing him back either as our RT for next year. I think the 2nd round tender on Colon is a win/win for the Steelers.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
02-26-2009, 02:40 PM
I'd give colon the 2nd round tender and hope someone signs him for their second round pick, it has to be better than 2.64, then we would have some maneuvering room with picks and maybe get a player they really like.

If no one signs him, I have no problem bringing him back either as our RT for next year. I think the 2nd round tender on Colon is a win/win for the Steelers.

Pappy

The 2nd round pick that we would get for Colon if someone signed him would be in the 2010 draft, not the 2009 draft.

phillyesq
02-26-2009, 02:49 PM

Pappy

The 2nd round pick that we would get for Colon if someone signed him would be in the 2010 draft, not the 2009 draft.

I'm 90% sure that with restricted free agents, the team losing the RFA gets the pick in the year the player was lost. In other words, if somebody gives up a 2nd for Colon, the Steelers get the second round pick this year.

Pap -- I agree that a second round pick for Colon is a win/win. If Colon leaves for a second, resign Essex or bring in a marginal FA starter, and then use the 2nd and the Steelers own picks to move up and get a tackle this year.

The restricted free agency period ends April 17, about a week or so before the draft, so RFA issues must be resolved before the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/more/nflcalendar

RuthlessBurgher
02-26-2009, 04:23 PM

Pappy

I'm 90% sure that with restricted free agents, the team losing the RFA gets the pick in the year the player was lost. In other words, if somebody gives up a 2nd for Colon, the Steelers get the second round pick this year.

Pap -- I agree that a second round pick for Colon is a win/win. If Colon leaves for a second, resign Essex or bring in a marginal FA starter, and then use the 2nd and the Steelers own picks to move up and get a tackle this year.

The restricted free agency period ends April 17, about a week or so before the draft, so RFA issues must be resolved before the draft.

You may be right there, philly. I must still have comp picks on the brain (they are given out in the following draft...for example, we should get a comp pick this year because Faneca signed with the Jets last year). Sorry for any confusion.

phillyesq
02-26-2009, 04:57 PM

Pappy

You may be right there, philly. I must still have comp picks on the brain (they are given out in the following draft...for example, we should get a comp pick this year because Faneca signed with the Jets last year). Sorry for any confusion.

You're absolutely right that comp picks are a year later. I tried a fast search to find something definitive about the picks for RFAs, but couldn't find anything reliable that clearly explained it one way or another...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-26-2009, 05:03 PM
I still do not see what everyone sees in Colon. Maybe he has that elusive quality 'potential', but I have not seen much of that yet.