PDA

View Full Version : Ravens cut off talks with C Jason Brown

stlrz d
02-26-2009, 01:32 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_s ... ason_brown (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scouts/entry/view/17462/ravens_cut_off_talks_with_c_jason_brown)

Ravens cut off talks with C Jason Brown
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Posted By Albert Breer 11:53 AM

A very interesting 24 hours lies ahead for the Baltimore Ravens.

And the first domino has fallen. According to an NFL source, the club has informed center Jason Brown that he is not in their plans for the 2009 season.

Brown, who turns 26 in June, is expected to garner immediate, strong interest from four or five clubs when the NFL’s free-agency period opens at 12:01 a.m. Friday. Brown started in '06 and '07 at guard for the Ravens, before moving to center to replace Mike Flynn last season.

The move to let Brown leave allows Baltimore to focus on its two free-agent linebackers, Bart Scott and Ray Lewis.

Negotiations are ongoing with both players -- with the expectation that the Ravens will be able re-sign one, but not both -- and are expected to run up to midnight, when the club will lose exclusive negotiating rights.

The Cowboys continue to come up as a possible landing spot for Lewis, despite Dallas owner Jerry Jones’ insistence that his club will not be big players in free agency. Former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan’s presence with the Jets makes New York a possible suitor for either player.

Oviedo
02-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Brown would be an excellent, but unfortunately too expensive, addition to our OL.

The Ravens IMO will take a step back next year losing key talent from both the offense and defense. It will show Flacco is not quite ready for prime time.

phillyesq
02-26-2009, 01:41 PM
I said this in another thread, but I can see him becoming the next Derrick Dockery.

In any event, its great to see the Ravens losing a lot of players. Last year demonstrated that they had some ground to make up if they wanted to compete with the Steelers, and the losses that they've incurred in the coaching staff and will incur with free agents is not going to help them make up that ground.

RuthlessBurgher
02-26-2009, 02:25 PM
This could be bad news for those of us looking at Alex Mack at #32. Unless the Ravens go after a Matt Birk or Jeff Saturday type, this means that they could take Alex Mack at #26. However, they probably have a more pressing need at CB after the release of McAllister and could also use a WR since Mason is 35 years old (and possibly even a LB if they are unable to re-sign Lewis and Scott). Since center is deep, they may wait until round 2 for Under or Wood or round 3 for Luigs or Caldwell or round 4 for Shipley, though.

papillon
02-26-2009, 02:36 PM
This could be bad news for those of us looking at Alex Mack at #32. Unless the Ravens go after a Matt Birk or Jeff Saturday type, this means that they could take Alex Mack at #26. However, they probably have a more pressing need at CB after the release of McAllister and could also use a WR since Mason is 35 years old (and possibly even a LB if they are unable to re-sign Lewis and Scott). Since center is deep, they may wait until round 2 for Under or Wood or round 3 for Luigs or Caldwell or round 4 for Shipley, though.

Actually, it could work in the Steelers favor. The Ravens need a corner, but, if they let Brown go and draft his replacement in the first, maybe that young corner falls our way.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
02-26-2009, 02:39 PM

Actually, it could work in the Steelers favor. The Ravens need a corner, but, if they let Brown go and draft his replacement in the first, maybe that young corner falls our way.

Pappy

I'd rather Mack in the first than a corner.

stlrz d
02-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Their fans seem to think their priority in the draft is CB/C/WR.

I saw one of them also mention taking Luigs in the 3rd.

Djfan
02-26-2009, 03:18 PM
I think they're stupid to lose a young great-to-good center for an old LB.

Ozey74
02-26-2009, 03:22 PM

Maybe the Ravens FO is scared that RAY RAY will shoot them if they don't re-sign him.

:P

RuthlessBurgher
02-26-2009, 04:24 PM

Maybe the Ravens FO is scared that RAY RAY will shoot them if they don't re-sign him.

:P

C'mon, now. Don't be ridiculous. He'd stab them. :wink:

SteelerOfDeVille
02-26-2009, 04:27 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=w ... &type=lgns (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=wardscottamongbestnflfre&prov=tsn&type=lgns)

Jason Brown, C, Baltimore Ravens. He is very appealing for many reasons. He will cost less per season than the two most experienced free-agent centers, Jeff Saturday and Matt Birk. Still only 25 and at 6-3, 320, Brown also has established himself as a strong interior run blocker. With how many good years he has left and his potential to get better all-around, he’ll get plenty of attention as a future Pro Bowler in the middle.

If they're right... we've got a better chance at Brown than Saturday... FWIW.

RuthlessBurgher
02-26-2009, 04:41 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=wardscottamongbestnflfre&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Jason Brown, C, Baltimore Ravens. He is very appealing for many reasons. He will cost less per season than the two most experienced free-agent centers, Jeff Saturday and Matt Birk. Still only 25 and at 6-3, 320, Brown also has established himself as a strong interior run blocker. With how many good years he has left and his potential to get better all-around, he’ll get plenty of attention as a future Pro Bowler in the middle.

If they're right... we've got a better chance at Brown than Saturday... FWIW.

I doubt that...Brown in a young up-and-comer while Saturday and Birk are on the back 9 of their careers. Why would at team pay more for the past accolades of Saturday or Birk when they could have potential future accolades of Brown? You shouldn't be paying for what someone has done in the past. You should be paying for what you think someone can do in the future. There is not much of a future left for Saturday or Birk, but the future is potentially bright for Brown. Saturday and Birk may be 2 year stop-gap options, while Brown might be able to play for another decade. I would think Brown would get the better contract offer than the more-decorated older centers, but that is just me.

Iron Shiek
02-26-2009, 05:04 PM
The 2 minute drill on NFL Radio reported the reason for the disconnect in communication between Brown and Ravens FO is that Brown wants to be paid as a Guard while Ravens want to pay him as Center. This equates to about a $2 million difference. Which I would imagine would be what Brown would be looking for on the open market as well, and I'm sure someone will pay...