PDA

View Full Version : Bills cut former free-agent prize Dockery

costanza2k1
02-26-2009, 12:57 PM
So much for all of these big contracts being thrown around, seems like these players end up getting cut a year or 2 later anyhow. Very rarely are FAs successful in another system it seems. Sometimes players are great based on the players around them or the system their in. I like our system the best, don't go for the big name FA and try to mold your system around them, but have a low end hungry FA come in and join your system. Seems to work for us as evidenced by our 2 SBs in the last 4 years.

Hello Dockery welcome to the waiver wire!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3936197

Bills cut former free-agent prize Dockery
Comment Email Print Share
By John Clayton
ESPN.com
Archive
Offensive guard Derrick Dockery, who was signed to a seven-year, $49 million deal two years ago by the Buffalo Bills, was informed Thursday he is being released.

AFC East blog

ESPN.com's Tim Graham writes about all things AFC East in his division blog.

Blog network: NFL Nation

Dockery was one of the key prizes in the free-agent class of 2007. His agent, Todd France, was able to get him a Steve Hutchinson-type package to leave the Washington Redskins for Buffalo. His seven-year, $49 million deal was the highest salary for a guard at the time.

During the first two years of the contract, Dockery was guaranteed $18.5 million. A change in offensive line coaches may have affected his status.

Dockery, who will go on the waiver wire at 4 p.m. ET, could go to the top of the list of guards in free agency.

The 28-year-old Dockery, who played in college at Texas, entered the league as the third-round pick with the Redskins and has 77 career starts.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

phillyesq
02-26-2009, 01:12 PM
I think Jason Brown of the Ravens will be that guy this year. He fits the mold -- young, good but not elite, never went to a pro bowl, etc.

It looks like Miami is about to give him a huge deal. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him become another Dockery in a few years.

RuthlessBurgher
02-26-2009, 01:16 PM
With Dockery now a free agent, does this mean that Kemoeatu is not the best guard on the market anymore? Someone better inform his agent. :lol:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-26-2009, 01:49 PM
With Dockery now a free agent, does this mean that Kemoeatu is not the best guard on the market anymore? Someone better inform his agent. :lol:

...And would bring Dockery in for a visit and make sure Kemo's agent knows. If Kemo doesn't get any calls or offers and Dockery was here for a visit it could bring Kemo back to the table with a lower asking price. These 2 are night and day and now Kemo's asking price has a scale to be measured on! Dockery also could be at that point in his career where he is tired of looking down at his hand that is carrying around a fat wallet and there are no rings on his fingers!!!

Oviedo
02-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Just proves that the teams that are "big players" in free agency are crap teams that have no idea what they are doing. Still we have Steelers fans who want us to do the same thing. Performance on one team does not usually translate to equal performance on another team. Case after case of free agent acquisition bears this out.

The Steelers do it right and I hope they continue the focus to keep our own and ignore other team's products.

aggiebones
02-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Keep Dockery away from us.
I choked on my tongue when I heard what the Bills offered him back then. That may have been the dumbest move in FA for the last 5 years. He was mediocre at best in DC where I live now. I still can't believe it. Him being cut was more likely than signing a huge contract. Guess both bets pay off today.

phillyesq
02-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Keep Dockery away from us.
I choked on my tongue when I heard what the Bills offered him back then. That may have been the dumbest move in FA for the last 5 years. He was mediocre at best in DC where I live now. I still can't believe it. Him being cut was more likely than signing a huge contract. Guess both bets pay off today.

Did you watch what the Raiders did last year? :lol: :lol: Makes the Dockery signing look wise!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Derrick Dockery.......

One of the two biggest reasons why Alan Faneca left here in such a huff. The other is Eric Steinbach.

In '06 IIRC Hutchinson signed his huge deal with the Vikes - around the 7 year, $49M range. That was okay because he was widely considered to be one of the top two guards in the game - along with Faneca. If that was where the market was still by the time AF hit FA then I doubt it would have been such a big issue. A few more bucks due to inflation, a few fewer years due to age, and you have AF signing something like a 5 year deal here worth around $38M.

However, in between that was '07. Cleveland and Buffalo throw huge wads of cash at two young OGs whose credentials are far from those of either Hutch or Faneca. Faneca does some math and figures if a Dockery is worth an average of $7M then he must be worth $10M+. The Steelers find it funny that our salary structure should be set by the Bills or the Browns and Faneca is insulted by the laughter.

Funny how life in the NFL works sometimes. Now the Bills are forced to eat the remainder of his SB. I guess the Steelers were right in thinking that they had a better grasp on value than the Bills. Do you agree Alan?? :lol:

feltdizz
02-26-2009, 03:59 PM

...And would bring Dockery in for a visit and make sure Kemo's agent knows. If Kemo doesn't get any calls or offers and Dockery was here for a visit it could bring Kemo back to the table with a lower asking price. These 2 are night and day and now Kemo's asking price has a scale to be measured on! Dockery also could be at that point in his career where he is tired of looking down at his hand that is carrying around a fat wallet and there are no rings on his fingers!!!

Kemo's agent is doing his job... what agent says my guy is middle of the pack and just ehhh?

I don't think Dockery is interested in rings or he wouldn't have gone to Buffalo to begin with.

I think the Raiders scared everyone into thinking it was going to be a FA bonanza...
actually I think us winning another SB has teams realizing you can't buy a SB through FA.

The only teams who go crazy in FA are the bottom feeders and I really think FA is more about selling tickets and giving off the appearance of wanting to win.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-26-2009, 04:33 PM

Kemo's agent is doing his job... what agent says my guy is middle of the pack and just ehhh?

I don't think Dockery is interested in rings or he wouldn't have gone to Buffalo to begin with.

I think the Raiders scared everyone into thinking it was going to be a FA bonanza...
actually I think us winning another SB has teams realizing you can't buy a SB through FA.

The only teams who go crazy in FA are the bottom feeders and I really think FA is more about selling tickets and giving off the appearance of wanting to win.

I know he is doing his job. But his asking price has been capped. I don't want Dockery. I want to draft OL. I'm just saying maybe he wants to play for a winner and his price comes down. He signs somewhere for 5 mil. Where now does that put Kemo...See what I'm saying!!! 2.5 mil Kemo...I'll take you back!!! Otherwise Al Davis is looking for a few good men. Go to the "Career Killas"!!! Nobody will ever here from you again!!!

feltdizz
02-26-2009, 04:54 PM
I know he is doing his job. But his asking price has been capped. I don't want Dockery. I want to draft OL. I'm just saying maybe he wants to play for a winner and his price comes down. He signs somewhere for 5 mil. Where now does that put Kemo...See what I'm saying!!! 2.5 mil Kemo...I'll take you back!!! Otherwise Al Davis is looking for a few good men. Go to the "Career Killas"!!! Nobody will ever here from you again!!!

No no no... I knew you didn't want Dockery on our team, just brought in to humble Kemo's agent...

I just think most guys rarely have that "I want a ring now" attitude...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-26-2009, 04:57 PM

No no no... I knew you didn't want Dockery on our team, just brought in to humble Kemo's agent...

I just think most guys rarely have that "I want a ring now" attitude...

I agree with that!!! It would be nice for more to think that way. Might make it easier & cheaper to hang on to one of our own or get a quality FA at a discount when our backs are against the wall at a position.