PDA

View Full Version : Predicting some of the details of James Harrison's contract

RuthlessBurgher
02-26-2009, 02:20 AM
A year ago, Troy Polamalu signed the largest contract for a Steeler defensive player, 4 years for $30.19 million. One year, later, due to the fact that contract seem to inflate every year, and the fact that Harrison is the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year (who also had quite probably the most memorable single Super Bowl play of all time), James could reasonably be expected to ask for (slightly) more than Troy. Let's say an average $8 million per year, which would eclipse Troy's average of $7.5 million per year. And remember, since the owners opted out of the CBA, no contracts can be longer than 5 years. So we'll say 5 years for $40 million total. He should get a hefty signing bonus up front (but not as high as the $25 million signing bonus Ben got, because even DPOY LB's can't be expected to get franchise QB money...nobody named "Al Davis" works in Pittsburgh). So let's say the signing bonus is $15 million. The other stipulation is that now you can't have a base salary rise more than 30% from one season to another. Teams can no longer significantly backload contracts to save cap space now. They can still backload them somewhat, but not outrageously like some owners have been doing. So if we had a 5 year $40 million contract with a $15 million signing bonus, you the most backloading that you could do would be to have a base salary in the neighborhood of $2.8 million in the first year, then a 30% jump to about $3.6 million in the second year, another 30% jump to roughly $4.7 million in the third year, 30% more to approximately $6.1 million in the fourth year, and 30% once again to $7.8 million or so in the fifth year. Does something like this seem reasonable to you folks?

MeetJoeGreene
02-26-2009, 10:19 AM
that seems reasonable to me......

DarthDeebo
02-26-2009, 10:26 AM
For your idea, does that officially start next year? And do "we" have to worry about the 30% comparing 2009 numbers to 2010 numbers?

Overall, I like the idea. He gets a good chunk of change and the Steelers get relatively reasonable numbers over the life of the contract.

Lebsteel
02-26-2009, 10:36 AM
If Leroy Hill (WHO?) is getting $8.3 million from Seattle, then James probably wants at least that if not more. The $8.3 mil is the average of the top 5 LBs in the NFL. Ruthless, I'd say you are in the ballpark. If James wants more than that, then let him walk to Washington or Tampa Bay in 2010.

phillyesq
02-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Ruthless,

I like the plan. It looks like Harrison would count $5.8 million against the cap this year under your plan, which would probably add at least $4 million if not more to his current cap figure. I like the total length and numbers, but I wonder if Harrison wouldn't want a bigger signing bonus and/or roster bonuses. I also wonder if he would agree to the backloading.

RuthlessBurgher
02-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Ruthless,

I like the plan. It looks like Harrison would count $5.8 million against the cap this year under your plan, which would probably add at least $4 million if not more to his current cap figure. I like the total length and numbers, but I wonder if Harrison wouldn't want a bigger signing bonus and/or roster bonuses. I also wonder if he would agree to the backloading.

Yeah, there should be other roster bonuses, workout bonuses, performance bonuses, etc. that could certainly factor in, but I wasn't getting that in depth. I'll leave the intimate details to Omar Khan.

papillon
02-26-2009, 11:11 AM
How about this?

If JH seems to want to break the bank, let him play the last year of his contract next year and then franchise him for the following year when he'll be 33 going on 34? How much more Pro-bowl production do you think you're going to get from a mid-30s athlete?

It's ugly, but, it's the business side of football. He's been the best deal in the NFL for the past two years and he can remain that for another year if the Steelers wish to do so. I think James needs to really consider what he's doing here and be careful not to bite the hand that feeds you.

Just my 2 cents

Pappy