PDA

View Full Version : Probably an unlikely scenario but........

ramblinjim
02-25-2009, 06:59 PM
I wonder if there is any chance that Tony Hills has developed well enough to play RT next year and move Willie inside?

Lebsteel
02-25-2009, 08:37 PM
I wonder if there is any chance that Tony Hills has developed well enough to play RT next year and move Willie inside?

I would like that scenario very much. The line could look like:

LT-Starks
LG-Mack
C-Hartwig
RG-Colon
RT-Hills

I would take that! :tt1

SteelBucks
02-26-2009, 09:17 AM
IMO, Simmons will be back at RG.

Oviedo
02-26-2009, 09:21 AM

I don't think it is at all beyond the realm of impossibility. Everyone should remember that Hills was rated as one of the best tackles going into his senior year and only an injury prevented him from being drafted higher than he was. Now with a year in the system and a year of Pro conditioning and strength training I could very easily see Hills stepping in at RT.

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
02-26-2009, 10:34 AM

Simmons needs to be cut!

ramblinjim
02-26-2009, 10:41 AM
I"m with you that Simmons should go, depending on the Cap issues that would come up. That could move Colon to LG, that would be two big hombres on the left side of our line in Colon and Max.......

Oviedo
02-26-2009, 10:48 AM
I"m with you that Simmons should go, depending on the Cap issues that would come up. That could move Colon to LG, that would be two big hombres on the left side of our line in Colon and Max.......

Cutting Simmons would accelerate his bonus inbto this season and probably create about $4M of dead money that would count against the cap. Unlikely Simmons is cut. Best thing would be he can't pass a physical and they negotiate an injury settlement which I believe gets him off the books.

SteelBucks
02-26-2009, 10:49 AM

Simmons needs to be cut!

I agree but if he's healthy he will be the starting RG. For some reason the coaches refuse to move Colon inside.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Cutting Simmons would accelerate his bonus inbto this season and probably create about $4M of dead money that would count against the cap. Unlikely Simmons is cut.

I posted something about this in another forum.

If Simmons is cut after June 1, then he would only count his pro rated SB this year - $1.57M, and we would save his salary - $3.1M.

That would accelerate his remaining SB into next year - $3.14M. Normally the Steelers do not like to push that much SB into future years. I was surprised when the traded Mahan this year, which pushed $2.4M into '09.

This is when the potential of the uncapped year makes things interesting. If Simmons is cut, we do not have to worry about the accelerated bonus. We can wipe him off of our books without punishment. But, do you gamble that there is no deal reached between now and next season? Let's see how this plays out, but I would not be shocked if Simmons is cut late in the summer if there is no progress in CBA talks.

Oviedo
02-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Cutting Simmons would accelerate his bonus inbto this season and probably create about $4M of dead money that would count against the cap. Unlikely Simmons is cut.

If Simmons is cut after June 1, then he would only count his pro rated SB this year - $1.57M, and we would save his salary - $3.1M.

That would accelerate his remaining SB into next year - $3.14M. Normally the Steelers do not like to push that much SB into future years. I was surprised when the traded Mahan this year, which pushed $2.4M into '09.

This is when the potential of the uncapped year makes things interesting. If Simmons is cut, we do not have to worry about the accelerated bonus. We can wipe him off of our books without punishment. But, do you gamble that there is no deal reached between now and next season? Let's see how this plays out, but I would not be shocked if Simmons is cut late in the summer if there is no progress in CBA talks.

Thanks for the correction. Good info. May make sense to cut Simmons under those conditions.

Jom112
02-26-2009, 12:18 PM

In normal years yes. But if the following quote is true, it doesn't matter if you cut Simmons now or after June 1st:

"In 2009, there is no June 1 rule for Signing Bonus acceleration. If a player is removed from the roster or his contract is assigned via waivers or trade at any time in the 2009 League Year, any unamortized signing bonus will be immediately included in Team Salary. "

MeetJoeGreene
02-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Unfortunately we are stuck with Simmons I think.

Actually, he probably would be a decent backup. He wouldn't wear down as much.

Best case is he can be a backup of both G positions. However we are probably paying him too much to be a backup.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-26-2009, 02:04 PM

In normal years yes. But if the following quote is true, it doesn't matter if you cut Simmons now or after June 1st:

"In 2009, there is no June 1 rule for Signing Bonus acceleration. If a player is removed from the roster or his contract is assigned via waivers or trade at any time in the 2009 League Year, any unamortized signing bonus will be immediately included in Team Salary. "

Wow Jom. I haven't seen that. I guess that blows my theory apart. We will have Simmons on the active roster if this is the case unless he unable to pass the team physical. We can only hope. :lol:

Mister Pittsburgh
02-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Although I think Colon is a guard and not an OT, the Steelers are stubborn bastards and will never do it. They made the assessment he is an OT so he will stay there no matter what.

If you could cut Simmons with no issues, then would any of you consider signing Saturday from the Colts.

LT Starks
LG-Saturday
C-Hartwig
RG-Stapleton
RT-Colon

Djfan
02-26-2009, 03:29 PM
If you could cut Simmons with no issues, then would any of you consider signing Saturday from the Colts.

LT Starks
LG-Saturday
C-Hartwig
RG-Stapleton
RT-Colon

Yes, but only at Steelers salary rules. None of this "market value" stuff.