PDA

View Full Version : Mock... Naah... but, analysis

SteelerOfDeVille
02-25-2009, 06:49 PM
OK, I've been thinking a lot about the draft and I'm going to put down some thoughts/ideas that a lot of us know, but, may not have necessarily expressed in a single post. Feedback is welcome.

I'm not going to do a mock, per se, but, instead will suggest "candidates" that the Steelers are likely looking at.

I'll first start off by saying, i think there are 3 types of needs. (High, mid, low).

To me:
high priority - We either need a starter now OR we have a lot of risk at this position due to age, contracts, etc. PREFERRED 1ST ROUND POSITION
mid priority - not an immediate need, but, this is either a position that could be upgraded OR age is also an issue here (with a little more time...). ALTERNATE 1ST ROUND POSITION OF PREFERRED ISN'T AVAILABLE
low priority - a position that we're probably covered, but, can use depth at a minimum and, of course, a potential contributor... UNLIKELY 1ST ROUND POSITIONS

High Priority Needs - Interior O-line, any the D-line
- As it turns out, most of the trouble on the o-line came between the guards. Max has done surprisingly well at LT (the jury is still out at RT).
- The d-line is simply old, across the board. I would think it's time to start getting pieces to the future puzzle instead of waiting until they all start retiring

Mid Priority Needs - ILB, CB, OT
- Timmons will be fine, but, who'll be beside him in 2 seasons? I can't imagine Farrior will still be playing at his current level
- Deshea has been servicable, but, he's not getting any younger. If B-Mac leaves in Free Agency, this is a position of need. You need 3 good CBs in this league.
- Max is on a 1 year deal. And Colon is inconsistent. If the right guy is there, I wouldn't hesitate

Low Priority Needs - WR, FS
- Will Nate re-sign. Will Sweed get some concentration? Will Hines play forever? Answer any of these questions the wrong way and it moves up in priority. Not likely a 1st round pick, but, certainly worth a selection in the first 3-4 rounds; especially if Washington doesn't re-sign
- I'm guessing Syracuse is gone.Thats a shame because he seemed to have good ball skils, so I had hoped he would develop. Ty Carter might be stuck backing up both safety positions..

Duke Robinson, Alex Mack, Tyson Jackson... any of those three at 1.32 would be perfect.

I'd take an OT if it was one of the "1st round" OTs, but, I wouldn't reach.

I'd take Laurinitis if he was there because Farrior can't play for forever and Timmons will need a running mate.

If B-Mac was gone, and all the guys I just mentioned are gone, I'd take a CB (or consider a trade down). I simply wouldn't reach. Even if Gay plays as well as we think, Deshea is getting up there and that double-whammy would be tough to handle.

There are lots of options and OG is a bigger need than OT -- especially after inking Max for another year. There are good OGs to be found in the 2nd and 3rd round, though.

I think this draft is going to look weird as it unfolds, but, might well turn out to be a zinger when it's all said and done... this because of team needs and where the team picks.

Lebsteel
02-25-2009, 08:46 PM
If Laurinitis was still there at 32, he would be extremely hard to pass up. He has very good size, is reasonably quick, very tough and I think he will be a very good linebacker in the NFL. He also seems to be a very high character guy.

Man, that hurts to say that about a Buckeye.... :lol:

TallyStiller
02-25-2009, 09:09 PM
I'm becoming more and more intrigued by William Beatty, the tackle from UConn... weighed in at 307, 16 lbs above his listed weight... ran a 5.12 40, had a 35 inch vertical, outjumping a number of LB prospects... has good tape out there, having paved the way for their terrific running game. Take him, start him out at RT, like we did with Marvel. Let him play his way into the LT slot eventually, but have a good tackle there for him to beat out in Max. If he wins RT, he forces Colon inside and creates a Simmons/Stapleton competition for one starting spot, as it oughta be, because any NFL O line that starts both of those guys is gonna SUCK. PERIOD.

Besides, kid grew up in PA as a Steeler fan and would be thrilled to be here. I would go so far as to say if he's still hanging around the board in the mid 20's, we should do a Santonio style trade up to grab him.

Oracle
02-25-2009, 09:19 PM
i agree with tally.

beatty at 1.32

he made need a year of training but he will look like a steal in two years.

papillon
02-25-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm becoming more and more intrigued by William Beatty, the tackle from UConn... weighed in at 307, 16 lbs above his listed weight... ran a 5.12 40, had a 35 inch vertical, outjumping a number of LB prospects... has good tape out there, having paved the way for their terrific running game. Take him, start him out at RT, like we did with Marvel. Let him play his way into the LT slot eventually, but have a good tackle there for him to beat out in Max. If he wins RT, he forces Colon inside and creates a Simmons/Stapleton competition for one starting spot, as it oughta be, because any NFL O line that starts both of those guys is gonna SUCK. PERIOD.

Besides, kid grew up in PA as a Steeler fan and would be thrilled to be here. I would go so far as to say if he's still hanging around the board in the mid 20's, we should do a Santonio style trade up to grab him.

I would like getting him at 1.32, but, don't trade away valuable picks to move up 7 or 8 spots. That's probably a 300 point move and would require trading away our second round pick at the very least.

The draft seems to be loaded with players on the offensive and defensive that will be available at 1.32, don't reach, that's my motto and I'm sticking with it. :Beer

Pappy

grotonsteel
02-25-2009, 09:47 PM

I have not seen him play but what i have read about Beatty from other board members is he plays at 260-270 mid-way through the season. He needs to put more weight. Can he retain his athleticism if he is asked to put on more weight? Does anyone has highlights on Beatty?

How much better is Beatty compared to Jamon Meredith of SC? I would prefer Steelers take a D-Lineman like Ron Brace or Tyson Jackson/Jarron Gilbert in Rd 1. Gilbert won't be there at 64.

Or how about that freak Sean Smith, CB from Utah...

RuthlessBurgher
02-25-2009, 09:51 PM

I would like getting him at 1.32, but, don't trade away valuable picks to move up 7 or 8 spots. That's probably a 300 point move and would require trading away our second round pick at the very least.

The draft seems to be loaded with players on the offensive and defensive that will be available at 1.32, don't reach, that's my motto and I'm sticking with it. :Beer

Pappy

The last time we moved from 32 to 25 for Santonio, we gave up a #3 and a #4. The value chart said that a #3 and #5 would have been enough point-wise, but we paid a little bit more than the chart said. Giving up our #2 could get us as high as 20th overall.

Chadman
02-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Very good theory, but Chadman isn't sure he agrees with you.

For Chadman, at this point, the Steelers will only grab a LT in Round 1 if Starks doesn't look like extending his deal, or if someone better than Beatty or Britton falls to the mid-20's.

The Steelers have a habit of getting players in Round 1 that are the best, or close to the best, in their position for that particular draft class.

If they trade up, it would be for either a OT that has fallen (Oher perhaps), or a CB that has dropped to the mid-20's.

Otherwise, Chadman thinks the Steelers will target OC (Mack), OG (Robinson), CB (Alphonso Smith) or DE (Ziggy Hood). Robinson might be top priority of that list, because he upgrades a position immediately, and the drop-off to the #2 OG is quite steep, while the drop-off to the next best OC (Unger or Wood) is not as steep. CB might be better 'value' in Rounds 2 & 3 where there seems to be a good cluster of players (Mike Mickens in Round 2 would be good). Ziggy Hood could be the 'wildcard' though- he'll be a slight reach at #32, but he'll be gone by the top 10 picks of Round 2, so it's a possibility. Last name Chadman thinks might be on the radar is Jamon Meridith, if his combine impressed the right people, he could be a shot at RT.

Chadman
02-25-2009, 10:02 PM

For Chadman, at this point, the Steelers will only grab a LT in Round 1 if Starks doesn't look like extending his deal, or if someone better than Beatty or Britton falls to the mid-20's.

The Steelers have a habit of getting players in Round 1 that are the best, or close to the best, in their position for that particular draft class.

If they trade up, it would be for either a OT that has fallen (Oher perhaps), or a CB that has dropped to the mid-20's.

Otherwise, Chadman thinks the Steelers will target OC (Mack), OG (Robinson), CB (Alphonso Smith) or DE (Ziggy Hood). Robinson might be top priority of that list, because he upgrades a position immediately, and the drop-off to the #2 OG is quite steep, while the drop-off to the next best OC (Unger or Wood) is not as steep. CB might be better 'value' in Rounds 2 & 3 where there seems to be a good cluster of players (Mike Mickens in Round 2 would be good). Ziggy Hood could be the 'wildcard' though- he'll be a slight reach at #32, but he'll be gone by the top 10 picks of Round 2, so it's a possibility. Last name Chadman thinks might be on the radar is Jamon Meridith, if his combine impressed the right people, he could be a shot at RT.

Oh crap- this response was supposed to be in a different thread- carry on... :oops:

SteelerOfDeVille
02-26-2009, 12:17 AM

I know you didn't mean for it to be here, I"m totally with you chadman... TOTALLY. As much as I like the idea of an OT, it's not a necessity unless it looks like there will be trouble re-signing Max.

While Britton, Beatty and Meridith (who I actually like) are good players, the needs are higher at other places. You take one of these guys IF AND ONLY IF there is no one available at the other more pressing positions of need.

Max has started in 2 super bowls for this team... he's good enough.

Oviedo
02-26-2009, 11:58 AM

I have not seen him play but what i have read about Beatty from other board members is he plays at 260-270 mid-way through the season. He needs to put more weight. Can he retain his athleticism if he is asked to put on more weight? Does anyone has highlights on Beatty?

How much better is Beatty compared to Jamon Meredith of SC? I would prefer Steelers take a D-Lineman like Ron Brace or Tyson Jackson/Jarron Gilbert in Rd 1. Gilbert won't be there at 64.

Or how about that freak Sean Smith, CB from Utah...

I agree about taking DL at 1.32 even though you may have to overdraft a player but picking as low as we do as champions that may be inevitable because the talent that may best meet your needs will likely be gone by your next pick. 1.32 is a first round pick in name only-it is essentially the start of round 2 because there are no comp picks between round 1 and Round 2.

I think that the priority listed above is right on for 1.32--go DL or interior OL. Please do not draft a tackle like Beatty.

feltdizz
02-26-2009, 03:43 PM
If Laurinitis was still there at 32, he would be extremely hard to pass up. He has very good size, is reasonably quick, very tough and I think he will be a very good linebacker in the NFL. He also seems to be a very high character guy.

No way... I'm not sold on him. Dude has a huge neck and his dad was one of the Road Warriors so he gets props but he just doesn't seem nasty enough to me...

I would be really mad if we picked him on round 1.

Oviedo
02-26-2009, 03:48 PM

No way... I'm not sold on him. Dude has a huge neck and his dad was one of the Road Warriors so he gets props but he just doesn't seem nasty enough to me...

:Agree

RuthlessBurgher
02-26-2009, 04:30 PM

The question is, will the most recent All-American Buckeye LB be more like Katzenmoyer or Spielman in the pros? I would prefer to not risk getting the former in the hopes of getting the latter. There are more important positions for us anyway. Pass.

Oviedo
02-26-2009, 04:34 PM

The question is, will the most recent All-American Buckeye LB be more like Katzenmoyer or Spielman in the pros? I would prefer to not risk getting the former in the hopes of getting the latter. There are more important positions for us anyway. Pass.

I would take any of the three USC LBs (Malegua, Cushing or Matthews) before I would take Lauranitis. No way do I take him 1.32. As correctly stated there are higher priorities and better players than him at 1.32.

grotonsteel
02-26-2009, 04:47 PM
I don't think Steelers are going to take a ILB at 1.32 . Atleast i hope they don't.

I hope they draft Jasper Brinkley in Rd 4- Rd 5. ILB often injured but worth a risk.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-26-2009, 04:54 PM
I don't think Steelers are going to take a ILB at 1.32 . Atleast i hope they don't.

I hope they draft Jasper Brinkley in Rd 4- Rd 5. ILB often injured but worth a risk.
I actually like Brinkley a lot... and he's one of my my planned ILB considerations in my mock...

I'm just not convinced the FO will reach on an interior lineman or d-lineman if none are there. I think they'd rather take their shot on someone at the end of the 2nd or 3rd before they took a mid 2nd rounder @ 1.32.

That being the case, Laurinitis fills a need (although it's lesser) AND he's good value at 1.32... I see it as very similar to drafting Mendenhall.

Oviedo
02-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Sorry guys but Lauranitis=Posluszny=Larry Foote. Not first round material for any of them. You get guys like that in the late-2nd thru 4th Round not the 1st.

RuthlessBurgher
02-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Sorry guys but Lauranitis=Posluszny=Larry Foote. Not first round material for any of them. You get guys like that in the late-2nd thru 4th Round not the 1st.

Yeah, Animal Jr. had a 40 time over 4.8 at the combine. Ouch. I think Maualuga ran the same time when he injured his hamstring during the run. Laurinaitis could fall out of the first like fellow Big 10 LB's Poz and Dan Connor did in the past couple of drafts.

Perhaps the Raiders will draft him with the 8th pick in round 2 so his proud papa could don the old spiked shoulder pads again and fit right in amongst the Black Hole.

http://www.sportscornerohio.com/images/laurinaitis.jpg

feltdizz
02-26-2009, 05:30 PM

Lauranitis doesn't look like a guy who can blow up a play behind the line...
reminds me a lot of Poz.. a good, solid LB but not a game changer... we will need one of those in a few years but not at 1.32

SteelerOfDeVille
02-26-2009, 07:27 PM

Lauranitis doesn't look like a guy who can blow up a play behind the line...
reminds me a lot of Poz.. a good, solid LB but not a game changer... we will need one of those in a few years but not at 1.32
2 years ago he looked like he was gonna be the guy... he's sorta slipped during the last couple of seasons.

FWIW, Farrior doesn't blow many plays up in the backfield... but, he's mr consistency. that's the guy he's replacing. And that's what the team will need... an run stuffer that is consistent... Timmons can the blow up man... :-)

In any event, ILB was the 2nd tier of needs I had listed, so, I realize it's not top priority. I think if he is who they thought he was, he could be a good value there...