PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins...Jeff Saturday Scrapbook

WoodleyofTroy
02-25-2009, 01:27 AM
with Free Agents wanting to come to Pittsburgh now..

"Saturday might be alright for signing"

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, February 25, 2009

It might be a shot in the dark, but it makes enough sense for the Steelers to at least consider the possibility of acquiring one of the NFL's top offensive linemen.

Three-time Pro Bowl center Jeff Saturday, who becomes an unrestricted free agent at 12:01 a.m. Friday, wants to join the Steelers. And not necessarily as a center.

"I talked to Jeff after the Super Bowl, and he said if you can get me there, that would be beautiful," said Pittsburgh-based agent Ralph Cindrich. "This is a Rooney-type of guy if ever there was one."

Are the Steelers interested in adding a 10-year veteran who missed four games last season because of injuries? And, if they are interested, can they afford him?

Also, Justin Hartwig started every game at center, as the Steelers won Super Bowl XLIII. Hartwig, who is entering the final year of his contract, doesn't turn 31 until November. Saturday turns 34 in June.

"He's happy to play guard. He started in the league at guard. He told me, 'I'll play anywhere,' " Cindrich said Tuesday.

The Steelers hope to re-sign Chris Kemoeatu, who is regarded as the top free-agent guard. But Kemoeatu likely will test the market.

Cindrich said Saturday compares favorably with another one of his clients, Steelers defensive captain James Farrior, who led the team in tackles and was named to his second Pro Bowl in his 12th season. Farrior is 34.

"I believe that James Farrior is one of the best leaders in the NFL. Jeff Saturday is equal to Farrior. He really controls the whole offensive line, makes every call," Cindrich said. "It's a Farrior-type situation, where age scares teams. Farrior's first four to five years, he didn't get beat up. Jeff is the same way."

As per team policy, Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert won't discuss potential free agents.

One of the league's top centers, Saturday appeared in the Pro Bowl from 2005 through 2007 and is a two-time Pro Bowl alternate (2004, 2008). He was named AP All-NFL twice (2005, 2007).

He has started all 16 games in seven of nine seasons with Indianapolis since becoming a regular. He started 12 games in 2008, missing the first two weeks with a knee injury and weeks 13 and 14 with a calf injury.

During Saturday's absence, the Colts' offensive production fell off. In the 12 games that he started, the Colts averaged 25.1 points, 87.4 yards rushing and quarterback Peyton Manning had a passer rating of 98.1. In the four games that Saturday missed, the Colts averaged 19.0 points, 56.3 yards rushing and Manning had a passer rating of 86.3.

Cindrich said Saturday is choosing to wade into free agency after the Colts made an attempt to re-sign him.

"Unless the market is totally flat, I don't think (he'll return to the Colts)," Cindrich said. "I feel like something could be done, but you never know about the Steelers. They like to pay their own more than somebody else. Jeff came back from injury and played strong. I honestly believe he could make a difference."

steelernation77
02-25-2009, 01:41 AM
He's certainly worth a look. His age scares me, but if he looks good in the visit and we sign him to a reasonable deal for the next two seasons, we could wait on OG till the third or so, draft his eventual replacement, and have Saturday act as a tutor and model.

Snatch98
02-25-2009, 01:53 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a look. He wants to play for the B&G and may take less money to play with the Stillers. I doubt the Colts offered him big money. Who knows.

WoodleyofTroy
02-25-2009, 02:01 AM
All I know is, this is the exact signing you want to make when trying to get back into the Super Bowl. That extra edge you need to put you back over the top.

Without a doubt Saturday at Center would help this team out tremendously NEXT season. But everything comes down to how much he wants and for how long.

This would basically be the equivalent to that of re-signing Faneca last year.

Put Saturday in the middle and draft Mack. Let Kemo cash in somewhere else. And put Hartwig on a leash. I like this.

Djfan
02-25-2009, 02:25 AM
I like it. He is a solid guy with heart and brains. He didn't get along with his majesty Peyton, so he's gone. He wants to be on a winning team, and that's us.

I say pull the trigger for a reasonable price.

Discipline of Steel
02-25-2009, 07:43 AM
Saturday has recently peaked so he should still be pretty dam good for a couple more years, although Ill hold my enthusiasm that he will be dominant. In light of the number of FA we have along our OL this year, I view his potential Steelership as as a place holder at LG while we concentrate our draft on some of the other positions such as a RT. The line could look like FattMaxx, Saturday, Hartwig, Colon, Hills/rook as starters with Essex, Stapes, Hills/rook, Legursky as backups. An extra draft pick can now be used at DL...not too bad a move. Saturday in = Roye out.

SteelBucks
02-25-2009, 08:37 AM
All I know is, this is the exact signing you want to make when trying to get back into the Super Bowl. That extra edge you need to put you back over the top.

Without a doubt Saturday at Center would help this team out tremendously NEXT season. But everything comes down to how much he wants and for how long.

This would basically be the equivalent to that of re-signing Faneca last year.

Put Saturday in the middle and draft Mack. Let Kemo cash in somewhere else. And put Hartwig on a leash. I like this.

IMO, I doubt they would sign Saturday to play Center. When Kemo leaves, the Steelers would probably move Saturday to LG.

MeetJoeGreene
02-25-2009, 08:48 AM
I wouldn't have an objection to signing him to a 1-2 year reasonable deal. I thinki WoT had it right saying this is the type of move that could get us BACK to the Super Bowl....

I still, however, chuckle every time I read this:

The Steelers hope to re-sign Chris Kemoeatu, who is regarded as the top free-agent guard. But Kemoeatu likely will test the market.

Another example of the press just repeating ignorant statements until enough, uninformed people believe it, thus helping to shape perceptions.

Oviedo
02-25-2009, 09:06 AM
What this tells you is that the word is out that the Steelers are the place to be. I think more than we probably know Mike Tomlin has impressed the professionals who play the game as a coach they want to play for (not bad for an "overpaid janitor").

It also tells you that a smart veteran like Saturday looks around and see that this team has a real shot to get back to the big game.

All good signs. I would love to have Saturday but I think the salary cap reality is that if will be almost impossible to sign him without significant restructuring of contracts (Ben, Hines, Farrior, Aaron Smith, etc) or some serious cap casualties, e.g. Simmons (lots of dead money), Hampton possibly even FWP.

It will be interesting to see how much the players want to be part of a dynasty by adjusting their contracts.

papillon
02-25-2009, 09:45 AM
What this tells you is that the word is out that the Steelers are the place to be. I think more than we probably know Mike Tomlin has impressed the professionals who play the game as a coach they want to play for (not bad for an "overpaid janitor").

It also tells you that a smart veteran like Saturday looks around and see that this team has a real shot to get back to the big game.

All good signs. I would love to have Saturday but I think the salary cap reality is that if will be almost impossible to sign him without significant restructuring of contracts (Ben, Hines, Farrior, Aaron Smith, etc) or some serious cap casualties, e.g. Simmons (lots of dead money), Hampton possibly even FWP.

It will be interesting to see how much the players want to be part of a dynasty by adjusting their contracts.

I would have to think that if they were to sign Saturday, that Simmons would become a cap casualty. I'm not sure how his contract is structured and how much dead money would be involved, but, Kemo would hit the market and let Simmons go, then draft the replacement and begin the grooming.

Starks -- Saturday -- Hartwig -- Stapleton -- Colon

or

Starks -- Hartwig -- Saturday -- Stapleton -- Colon

An offensive guard/center would be an awesome draft choice for the future (maybe, even midway through next season if Stapleton or Hartwig struggle).

If the Steelers hit this year's draft they will be set up for many years.

Pappy

Oviedo
02-25-2009, 09:59 AM

I would have to think that if they were to sign Saturday, that Simmons would become a cap casualty. I'm not sure how his contract is structured and how much dead money would be involved, but, Kemo would hit the market and let Simmons go, then draft the replacement and begin the grooming.

or

An offensive guard/center would be an awesome draft choice for the future (maybe, even midway through next season if Stapleton or Hartwig struggle).

Pappy

Signing Saturday would allow the team to get the pieces for the next generation of the DL and maybe a CB early in the draft and then some developmental OL in Rounds 3-5. This would be a huge improvement.

I'd still like to hope that Hills can step in at RT because I think Colon is overmatched there but what do I know. I think if as a RFA Colon does not get a top tender then the team expects him to be gone in 2010 and that may indicate they like what they see with Hills.

I think the dead money for releasing Simmons would be several million applied against the 2009 cap because of the acceleration of his bonus so he is unlikely to go anywhere this year.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-25-2009, 10:11 AM
I would say no to Saturday. There has to be an addition of youth on the OL & DL starting with this draft. This team WON a Super Bowl with an average OL so the front office knows that there is no urgency to immediately plug in vet OL to get us back there. As Gross, Starks, Carey came off the market, all the other FA OL values went up. I do not think Kemo will come to an agreement for what the Steelers want to pay him and he will walk. Smith will walk and only be back for vet min in a Steelers uniform unless there is an injury. Colon will be tendered and signed long term. Hartwig plays out his final year here and will be replaced by Mack, Unger, Woods, Luigs, Caldwell or Shipley next year. A rookie will be the starting LG opening day and it could be one of the above if they don't draft another G. If we see an OT picked in the 1st three rounds then I think Colon to G is being considered. I do not think the Steelers are confident that Stapleton is the answer at starting C in the future but will serve as a back-up. He is a quality back-up at G & C but unless he adds mass he will not be a starting C for the Steelers. He can not handle a 3-4 NT off the snap and might be best suited for G. I don't think he can add 25 pounds and maintain his agility. So basicly...I say no to any FA OL over 30. Maybe a FA OL coming out of his rookie contract that was sitting behind a vet and might be ready to take the next step. A typical Steelers signing that could allow the Steelers more flexibilty in the draft...But that is it for the OL. The 11 mil cap space that is left is a fictitious number. It is already factored in to the extending of key players like Harrison & Miller. They will structure some of those contracts heavy this year to absorb some of the long-term hit like they did with Ben's and leave money for the rookie class. I think the only UFA we have a shot at signing now is Washington and that will have to be at #3 money. If not, all other holes can be filled via draft and 2nd wave FA after the draft. Starks was priority #1...They got their guy! The rest won't be at the table long...It is the Steeler way!!!

FYI...I want Kemo back...But in the 2.3-2.8 mil range. I just don't know if that will happen!!!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-25-2009, 10:24 AM

or

Pappy

Signing Saturday would allow the team to get the pieces for the next generation of the DL and maybe a CB early in the draft and then some developmental OL in Rounds 3-5. This would be a huge improvement.

I'd still like to hope that Hills can step in at RT because I think Colon is overmatched there but what do I know. I think if as a RFA Colon does not get a top tender then the team expects him to be gone in 2010 and that may indicate they like what they see with Hills.

I think the dead money for releasing Simmons would be several million applied against the 2009 cap because of the acceleration of his bonus so he is unlikely to go anywhere this year.

I think it is safe to say that Simmons will be here this year...Or at least until after June 1. The only way he is released after June 1 if he is completely out of shape and unable to participate in any mini-camp activities or there is a significant setback in his recovery. I personally think he will only be 80% of the 80% he was after diabetes. The poor guy was punched in the face and then kicked in the "Luggage"!!! I think he will be the reason the "Colon experiment" will start this year and Simmons will not win the starting spot this year. Simmons will be released after June 1st of 2010.

Iron Shiek
02-25-2009, 10:45 AM
I didn't ever really consider him, but I heard on a Two Minute Drill on NFL Radio that he expressed interest and missed the rest. Then I searched for a story on it, and found this link:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/mostread/s_613269.html

However my computer is giving me serious fits at work today and I can't see the article. Can anyone post its contents and feel free to comment. I don't think the Steelers would pursue him knowing how they are in Free Agency but at least its an option.

RuthlessBurgher
02-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Here you go:

Saturday might be alright for signing
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

It might be a shot in the dark, but it makes enough sense for the Steelers to at least consider the possibility of acquiring one of the NFL's top offensive linemen.

Three-time Pro Bowl center Jeff Saturday, who becomes an unrestricted free agent at 12:01 a.m. Friday, wants to join the Steelers. And not necessarily as a center.

"I talked to Jeff after the Super Bowl, and he said if you can get me there, that would be beautiful," said Pittsburgh-based agent Ralph Cindrich. "This is a Rooney-type of guy if ever there was one."

Are the Steelers interested in adding a 10-year veteran who missed four games last season because of injuries? And, if they are interested, can they afford him?

Also, Justin Hartwig started every game at center, as the Steelers won Super Bowl XLIII. Hartwig, who is entering the final year of his contract, doesn't turn 31 until November. Saturday turns 34 in June.

"He's happy to play guard. He started in the league at guard. He told me, 'I'll play anywhere,' " Cindrich said Tuesday.

Cindrich said Saturday compares favorably with another one of his clients, Steelers defensive captain James Farrior, who led the team in tackles and was named to his second Pro Bowl in his 12th season. Farrior is 34.

"I believe that James Farrior is one of the best leaders in the NFL. Jeff Saturday is equal to Farrior. He really controls the whole offensive line, makes every call," Cindrich said. "It's a Farrior-type situation, where age scares teams. Farrior's first four to five years, he didn't get beat up. Jeff is the same way."

As per team policy, Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert won't discuss potential free agents.

One of the league's top centers, Saturday appeared in the Pro Bowl from 2005 through 2007 and is a two-time Pro Bowl alternate (2004, 2008). He was named AP All-NFL twice (2005, 2007).

He has started all 16 games in seven of nine seasons with Indianapolis since becoming a regular. He started 12 games in 2008, missing the first two weeks with a knee injury and weeks 13 and 14 with a calf injury.

During Saturday's absence, the Colts' offensive production fell off. In the 12 games that he started, the Colts averaged 25.1 points, 87.4 yards rushing and quarterback Peyton Manning had a passer rating of 98.1. In the four games that Saturday missed, the Colts averaged 19.0 points, 56.3 yards rushing and Manning had a passer rating of 86.3.

Cindrich said Saturday is choosing to wade into free agency after the Colts made an attempt to re-sign him.

"Unless the market is totally flat, I don't think (he'll return to the Colts)," Cindrich said. "I feel like something could be done, but you never know about the Steelers. They like to pay their own more than somebody else. Jeff came back from injury and played strong. I honestly believe he could make a difference."

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Oviedo
02-25-2009, 10:49 AM
The thread on this topic is already running under the title "So it begins"

RuthlessBurgher
02-25-2009, 11:06 AM

I hadn't read the "So it begins" thread yet, so I did not realize that. I'll combine 'em. Thanks.

stlrz d
02-25-2009, 11:15 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 13269.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_613269.html)

Saturday might be alright for signing
By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW

NC Steeler Fan
02-25-2009, 11:15 AM
You know, with nothing more to go on other than a gut
feeling and intuition, I think Saturday will be a Steeler.

For several years, every time I've heard his name or seen
his face, something resonated in me for no reason that I
could readily identify.

I suppose we'll all see soon enough...

stlrz d
02-25-2009, 11:24 AM

Sorry. I looked at all the unread thread titles and figured something like this would have a more obvious thread title.

So when I didn't see anything with "Saturday" in the title I figured it hadn't been posted.

Imo, a guy like Saturday wanting to play for the Steelers is a pretty big deal and I'd gladly welcome him if he is realistic in his salary requirements.

AngryAsian
02-25-2009, 11:32 AM
We've always built this team via the draft, but this team in its current incarnation has the ability to repeat and seriously contend for one more if not two more championships with the core players we have on our roster. If veterans who are still productive want to come on board to help this team get those few more titles and end their career on top, I support that 100%. We still need to address the apparent aging trenches of our team, but we have to realize that Ben is peaking and we really can't wait to rebuild the lines, we have to keep winning... I think this probably would be an excellent decision to help shore up our line. Titles. We need at least two more while Ben is peaking. 8 titles while Ben is here and then I can be content with rebuilding.

papillon
02-25-2009, 11:47 AM
I would say no to Saturday. There has to be an addition of youth on the OL & DL starting with this draft. This team WON a Super Bowl with an average OL so the front office knows that there is no urgency to immediately plug in vet OL to get us back there. As Gross, Starks, Carey came off the market, all the other FA OL values went up. I do not think Kemo will come to an agreement for what the Steelers want to pay him and he will walk. Smith will walk and only be back for vet min in a Steelers uniform unless there is an injury. Colon will be tendered and signed long term. Hartwig plays out his final year here and will be replaced by Mack, Unger, Woods, Luigs, Caldwell or Shipley next year. A rookie will be the starting LG opening day and it could be one of the above if they don't draft another G. If we see an OT picked in the 1st three rounds then I think Colon to G is being considered. I do not think the Steelers are confident that Stapleton is the answer at starting C in the future but will serve as a back-up. He is a quality back-up at G & C but unless he adds mass he will not be a starting C for the Steelers. He can not handle a 3-4 NT off the snap and might be best suited for G. I don't think he can add 25 pounds and maintain his agility. So basicly...I say no to any FA OL over 30. Maybe a FA OL coming out of his rookie contract that was sitting behind a vet and might be ready to take the next step. A typical Steelers signing that could allow the Steelers more flexibilty in the draft...But that is it for the OL. The 11 mil cap space that is left is a fictitious number. It is already factored in to the extending of key players like Harrison & Miller. They will structure some of those contracts heavy this year to absorb some of the long-term hit like they did with Ben's and leave money for the rookie class. I think the only UFA we have a shot at signing now is Washington and that will have to be at #3 money. If not, all other holes can be filled via draft and 2nd wave FA after the draft. Starks was priority #1...They got their guy! The rest won't be at the table long...It is the Steeler way!!!

FYI...I want Kemo back...But in the 2.3-2.8 mil range. I just don't know if that will happen!!!

I agree about the infusion of youth and disagree about Kemo. The interior line play last year was average on a good day. they seemed to be confused easily with stunts and twists and delayed blitzes. Saturday would anchor the line for one year maybe two and this year's interior lineman that is drafted will get a chance to watch and learn like many other Steeler draft choices.

I prefer the watch and learn with a solid veteran anchoring the line than throwing a rookie in because the Steelers drafted him.

I cede all knowledge of line play to you JPN, but, just from an experience standpoint, I'd love to have a guy like Saturday as one of the interior linemen.

Pappy

phillyesq
02-25-2009, 12:07 PM
I think the addition of Saturday would be great. And I really like the comparison of Saturday to Farrior. A competent, veteran leader who can take charge on the line would help immensely.

IMO, the Steelers need to add one interior offensive lineman and one tackle, at a minimum. They also have needs on the defensive line and at CB. Saturday gives them flexibility and options. He can fill in as a stop gap and mentor type on the inside while younger options are developed.

WoodleyofTroy
02-25-2009, 12:10 PM
I would say no to Saturday. There has to be an addition of youth on the OL & DL starting with this draft. This team WON a Super Bowl with an average OL so the front office knows that there is no urgency to immediately plug in vet OL to get us back there.

Do you think the Patriots went into the Corey Dillon signing saying we got our starting Running back for the next 10 years? No, you just make those kinds of signings to get you back over the hump in that first year after the Super Bowl, no matter how long the player will be around. Jeff Saturday would be that type of signing. And find it hard to believe that Colbert won't be looking into this, while STILL bringing in youth at the same time. Like I said, Saturday and Mack, let Kemo cash in somewhere else, and keep Hartwig on a leash. And who knows, maybe Hartwig improves playing next to Saturday.

And I'm not even talking about just the OL here. You need to improve your team, make adjustments, change some playcalling, etc. if you want to get back in there on Super Bowl Sunday. Getting better protection (What Saturday would bring) is definitely a start over just settling with an average same OL again just because we got there with it.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-25-2009, 12:18 PM

I agree about the infusion of youth and disagree about Kemo. The interior line play last year was average on a good day. they seemed to be confused easily with stunts and twists and delayed blitzes. Saturday would anchor the line for one year maybe two and this year's interior lineman that is drafted will get a chance to watch and learn like many other Steeler draft choices.

I prefer the watch and learn with a solid veteran anchoring the line than throwing a rookie in because the Steelers drafted him.

I cede all knowledge of line play to you JPN, but, just from an experience standpoint, I'd love to have a guy like Saturday as one of the interior linemen.

Pappy

I agree pap! I would love to have the experience of Saturday on this OL but the $$$ he will want would require this team to do without. I'm sure Saturday will be over 5 mil and that to me is not worth it. The mental part of the game Kemo struggled with comes with playing time and coaching. First year as starter. Maybe he gets better...Maybe not! You can plug in a guy like Mack or Unger who are intelligent and probably mentally be right where Kemo is at this stage of his career. On top of that, next year he is your starting C. Saturday's experience would be better than anyone we could get in the draft...No doubt! But there is a cost for that. The thing that really turns me off about Saturday is how he does against a 3-4 NT. Saturday can hold his own in pass protection but he is no better than Hartwig or Kemo in run blocking. I don't think Saturday fit here would be an upgrade. His experience would help in pass protection but I think we loose some in the run blocking. Signing him would not benefit the team in the long run...Just my opinion! We want to know what young OL can help out the Steelers??? Just ask Hampton or Hoke...They have the best input!

ikestops85
02-25-2009, 12:33 PM
If he would settle for Farrior money then yes ... but he won't so I say

NO, NO, and NO!!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-25-2009, 12:54 PM
I would say no to Saturday. There has to be an addition of youth on the OL & DL starting with this draft. This team WON a Super Bowl with an average OL so the front office knows that there is no urgency to immediately plug in vet OL to get us back there.

Do you think the Patriots went into the Corey Dillon signing saying we got our starting Running back for the next 10 years? No, you just make those kinds of signings to get you back over the hump in that first year after the Super Bowl, no matter how long the player will be around. Jeff Saturday would be that type of signing. And find it hard to believe that Colbert won't be looking into this, while STILL bringing in youth at the same time. Like I said, Saturday and Mack, let Kemo cash in somewhere else, and keep Hartwig on a leash. And who knows, maybe Hartwig improves playing next to Saturday.

And I'm not even talking about just the OL here. You need to improve your team, make adjustments, change some playcalling, etc. if you want to get back in there on Super Bowl Sunday. Getting better protection (What Saturday would bring) is definitely a start over just settling with an average same OL again just because we got there with it.

I'm far from settling for this OL to get back to the Super Bowl...Look at my mock & read what I'm saying. If you think the Steelers are going to pay a 34 old OL 5-6 mil to come in here and slightly upgrade the LG spot overall for a team coming off the Super Bowl...So be it! He is coming from the Colts...Not the Raiders or Lions. If the guy has so much in the tank the Colts would find a way to keep him. The upgrade his experience would bring to this OL might not be what you are thinking. New system, different position, new guys on each side...It might not even be an upgrade because Kemo might improve. There is no gurantee either way. On top of that, Saturday is not the anchor against DTs he once was. I think he would be a downgrade in the run blocking and I'm not sold he could pull any more effectively than Kemo or anyone else the Steelers get in the draft! This OL has a SB win even though only "ONE" starter was in place from a year ago. "ONE"...Did that cross your mind???? Do you know what impact chemistry has on an OL??? New C at the start of the season from a different team. New LG in first year of starting role. Lost 2 starters to injury for the year. Then the Super Bowl run...2 OL were in their 1st season as starters non-injury...forced. 2 were in their 2nd year as starters...non-injury forced. 1 was in his first year on a new team starting at the C position. Umm...I don't care what the stats say...To overcome all of that and win a Super Bowl...Pretty darn impressive! There were struggles along the way...Yes there was! But to push the panic button and sign a guy who will be 34 opening day for mega bucks who may or may not be an upgrade...That would be exactly what it is...Panic! No reason to do that. Long term goal...Reload the OL/DL with young talent because this core is not done. Do it through the draft! If you want to shell out 5-6 mil to a 27-28 year old OL who is an upgrade over a current player at his position on the steelers...I'm listening!

WoodleyofTroy
02-25-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm far from settling for this OL to get back to the Super Bowl...Look at my mock & read what I'm saying. If you think the Steelers are going to pay a 34 old OL 5-6 mil to come in here and slightly upgrade the LG spot overall for a team coming off the Super Bowl...So be it! He is coming from the Colts...Not the Raiders or Lions. If the guy has so much in the tank the Colts would find a way to keep him. The upgrade his experience would bring to this OL might not be what you are thinking. New system, different position, new guys on each side...It might not even be an upgrade because Kemo might improve. There is no gurantee either way. On top of that, Saturday is not the anchor against DTs he once was. I think he would be a downgrade in the run blocking and I'm not sold he could pull any more effectively than Kemo or anyone else the Steelers get in the draft! This OL has a SB win even though only "ONE" starter was in place from a year ago. "ONE"...Did that cross your mind???? Do you know what impact chemistry has on an OL??? New C at the start of the season from a different team. New LG in first year of starting role. Lost 2 starters to injury for the year. Then the Super Bowl run...2 OL were in their 1st season as starters non-injury...forced. 2 were in their 2nd year as starters...non-injury forced. 1 was in his first year on a new team starting at the C position. Umm...I don't care what the stats say...To overcome all of that and win a Super Bowl...Pretty darn impressive! There were struggles along the way...Yes there was! But to push the panic button and sign a guy who will be 34 opening day for mega bucks who may or may not be an upgrade...That would be exactly what it is...Panic! No reason to do that. Long term goal...Reload the OL/DL with young talent because this core is not done. Do it through the draft! If you want to shell out 5-6 mil to a 27-28 year old OL who is an upgrade over a current player at his position on the steelers...I'm listening!

Okay first of all, he is an upgrade. Wake up. Only a Steeler fan would say Kemoeatu may or may not be better than Jeff Saturday. The rest of the 31 teams around the league would disagree. This is a joke. Second, you're missing the point of the thread. This is about players taking a pay cut and wanting to play for a WINNING team. I think it's obvious enough (or at least I thought) not to point out if he were expecting "mega bucks" then this wouldn't even be a consideration. Especially when it just so happens that there 3 potential franchise Centers in the draft this year.

And if he does want big money. Then I wouldn't of made this thread with that intent, and I don't want him. We have enough star players that need contracts.

But I guarantee you the Steelers could get Jeff Saturday cheaper than what Kemoeautu makes on the market this year.

Iron Shiek
02-25-2009, 01:30 PM

I hadn't read the "So it begins" thread yet, so I did not realize that. I'll combine 'em. Thanks.

Yeah thanks guys. I was having serious issues earlier and couldn't open any threads even. Typically I look around before I post an article to avoid this very issue. Thanks.

As for Saturday, it'd be nice to grab him...but pretty much everything Just Plain Nasty said in the longer post seem logical and kind of "the Steeler Way". I'd have to agree. Saturday will command a pretty big number...but hey if he wants to take less to come, we could use him for a couple years.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-25-2009, 01:30 PM

Okay first of all, he is an upgrade. Wake up. Only a Steeler fan would say Kemoeatu may or may not be better than Jeff Saturday. The rest of the 31 teams around the league would disagree. This is a joke. Second, you're missing the point of the thread. This is about players taking a pay cut and wanting to play for a WINNING team. I think it's obvious enough (or at least I thought) not to point out if he were expecting "mega bucks" then this wouldn't even be a consideration. Especially when it just so happens that there 3 potential franchise Centers in the draft this year.

And if he does want big money. Then I wouldn't of made this thread with that intent, and I don't want him. We have enough star players that need contracts.

But I guarantee you the Steelers could get Jeff Saturday cheaper than what Kemoeautu makes on the market this year.

Upgrade??? Pass protection with his experience...Should be an upgrade.But no gurantee. new system, no position, surrounded by new players...Not so sure. Upgrade in run game...No way!!! Hands down no way!!! Watch some film. Saturday gets blown up by a declining Hampton many times. He isn't the same player and not worth it. Where does it even say he is willing to take a discount. He didn't like the money the Colts offered him. His agent said "Unless the market is flat" and he also said the Steelers like to pay their own more than anyone else. "I think it is obvious enough (or at least I though)" he isn't looking for a discount based upon what his agent said. "Wanting to play for a winning team"???? Hmm..Colts...How many years removed from the Super Bowl??? Payton Manning...How many years out of the last seven have they been in the playoffs??? You do know this is Jeff Saturday...C for the Colts??? I'm not sure the Lions or Raiders have a C named Saturday! "But I guarantee you the Steelers could get Jeff Saturday cheaper than what Kemoeautu makes on the market this year"....OK :shock: I will hold you to that prediction!!! You are a Joke!

RuthlessBurgher
02-25-2009, 01:35 PM

NO, NO, and NO!!

Ralph Cindrich, an agent who incidentally works out of Pittsburgh and has a good relationship with the Steelers, represents both Saturday and Farrior. He negotiated the 5 year $18.25 million deal with a $5 million bonus for Farrior. Cindrich made the direct connection between the two players himself (Farrior just turned 34 last month, while Saturday will turn 34 in June, 3 days after I turn 34 myself, coincidentally). Might Saturday's agent being saying that he would be amenable to a Farrior-like deal? If so, would the Steelers be interested in him at that price? Other than the Jets and their stupid over-paying of Faneca, teams usually aren't barrelling down the doors of o-lineman in their mid-30's with big money offers. This would actually make the left side of your line a strength in the short term (frankly, none of the line was a strength last year) while we attempt to rebuild the line for the long term (it also frees the team up to draft a d-lineman and a CB in the first 2 rounds if those are the best players available, since you won't feel like you have to draft a day-one o-lineman simply because it is your biggest need at the moment).

steeler_george
02-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Believe or not Saturday is a very sexxxy FA pick up. He will allow more flexibility going into the draft and what we can actually do with our FA on the OL.

However, wth him leaving his team would that be another team in front of us tempted by Mack or high quality OL pick in the draft?

As for Simmons....I personally think he is done. Too many set backs, Diabetes and now the Achilles injury. It was great that he was able to come over his diabetic condition, but the Achilles injury is something totally different.

I am not a doctor, but I believe that it never ever heals. Take a look at other pro-athletes that suffered the same injury it their play has dropped dramaticaly. Every motion of strength and nimbleness starts at the Achilles tendon and hose are the 2 major requirements of an OL.

If he returns, he is going to be a back up or have a Smith like role, play till he can't.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-25-2009, 01:55 PM

NO, NO, and NO!!

Ralph Cindrich, an agent who incidentally works out of Pittsburgh and has a good relationship with the Steelers, represents both Saturday and Farrior. He negotiated the 5 year $18.25 million deal with a $5 million bonus for Farrior. Cindrich made the direct connection between the two players himself (Farrior just turned 34 last month, while Saturday will turn 34 in June, 3 days after I turn 34 myself, coincidentally). Might Saturday's agent being saying that he would be amenable to a Farrior-like deal? If so, would the Steelers be interested in him at that price? Other than the Jets and their stupid over-paying of Faneca, teams usually aren't barrelling down the doors of o-lineman in their mid-30's with big money offers. This would actually make the left side of your line a strength in the short term (frankly, none of the line was a strength last year) while we attempt to rebuild the line for the long term (it also frees the team up to draft a d-lineman and a CB in the first 2 rounds if those are the best players available, since you won't feel like you have to draft a day-one o-lineman simply because it is your biggest need at the moment).

If he is implying that Saturday would be willing to play at a 3.6 tag this year with 5 mil bonus over 5 years I might consider it. Just remember now...Every year he doesn't finish now cost you a mil. So if he plays 2 years and he retires or gets released that is 3 mil dead money. I think the Colts offered him more than that and think he could get more on the market. To realisticly think he will be productive after he turns 36 is not a safe gamble. Farrior hasn't missed a game in the last three years. Saturday missed 4 games last year. Is this the start of the nagging injuries associated with the 30's for NFL players...Could be! That being said I would like a 2 year deal better like Hartwigs deal. That also means he would have to play for Hartwig money and I think his resume will command more!

steelz09
02-25-2009, 03:37 PM
JPN -

If the mock draft you have posted works out then I say we pass on Saturday and start Mack at LG. This is sooo odd with the comments that the Steelers want to pay Kemo.

Reason being..

1) That means the steelers aren't interested in Mack or feel he won't fall to 1.32. Because if we resign Kemo, that means he's starting. And with Colon (whom should move to G), Simmons, Stapleton, and possibly Essex that means the guard position is filled.

2) In fact, it means that we aren't looking at G. PERIOD. In round 1.

3) If we look at tackles in round 1, that probably means that we're looking for Colon replacement to a) let him walk next year (doubtful) or b) move him to guard (more likey a better option)
** if they plan on moving him to guard then that further clarifies the fact that we won't draft a guard in round 1.

Now, I wouldn't mind the Saturday signing to be honest but I doubt it'll happen. This is what I think the Steelers should do...

Draft Mack in round 1.
Start Mack at LG
Start Colon at RG
Move Hills / Rookie to RT (or possibly LT)
Start Starks at LT (or move to RT).

That leaves our 2009 starting o-line with:

LT: Starks (unless they move him to RT and move Hills / rookie to LT which is probably less likely)
RG: Mack (should have no trouble starting at LG his rookie year. He moves to center next year)
C: Hartwig
RG: Colon (slide Colon over one spot. He would be a solid guard. He's played RT for 2 years now so guard should be no problem. )
RT: Rookie / Hills (Hills is a true LT but its difficult to know what the Steelers plans are for him. )

To me ... this line is a huge upgrade over last years line:

LT: Starks
LG: Mack
RG: Colon
RT: Hills / Rookie

Oviedo
02-25-2009, 03:55 PM
JPN -

If the mock draft you have posted works out then I say we pass on Saturday and start Mack at LG. This is sooo odd with the comments that the Steelers want to pay Kemo.

Reason being..

1) That means the steelers aren't interested in Mack or feel he won't fall to 1.32. Because if we resign Kemo, that means he's starting. And with Colon (whom should move to G), Simmons, Stapleton, and possibly Essex that means the guard position is filled.

3) If we look at tackles in round 1, that probably means that we're looking for Colon replacement to a) let him walk next year (doubtful) or b) move him to guard (more likey a better option)
** if they plan on moving him to guard then that further clarifies the fact that we won't draft a guard in round 1.

Now, I wouldn't mind the Saturday signing to be honest but I doubt it'll happen. This is what I think the Steelers should do...

Draft Mack in round 1.
Start Mack at LG
Start Colon at RG

LT: Starks (unless they move him to RT and move Hills / rookie to LT which is probably less likely)
RG: Mack (should have no trouble starting at LG his rookie year. He moves to center next year)
RG: Colon (slide Colon over one spot. He would be a solid guard. He's played RT for 2 years now so guard should be no problem. )
RT: Rookie / Hills (Hills is a true LT but its difficult to know what the Steelers plans are for him. )

I would take that OL.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-25-2009, 04:25 PM
JPN -

Reason being..

Draft Mack in round 1.
Start Mack at LG
Start Colon at RG

I agree. That was my thinking with Mack. He will start at LG because Kemo will be gone. I also think even if Kemo is signed, Mack/Unger should be a consideration. One, because this will be Hartwigs last year. Second, I think the FO knows what kind of up-hill batlle Simmons will have. If they retain Kemo, draft mack, then a OT in the 2nd or 3rd, all of the sudden the OL is solid again. Because Simmons won't be here opening day 2010 unless he has a miracle recovery. I think they are trying to sign Kemo because Simmons might be, at best, back-up ready next year...And that might be the farthest back to 100% he will ever get. So it the OL looks like this the next 2 years...

2009 - If Kemo is signed:
Starks
Kemo
Hartwig
Mack/Unger
Colon

2009 - If Kemo signs elsewhere:
Starks
Mack/Unger
Hartwig
(Simmons,Stapleton,Legursky,Parquet,FA,Rookie, or Colon if rookie RT is game ready)
Colon (Rookie could push Colon to G)

2010 - with Kemo:
Starks
Kemo
Mack/Unger
Colon
2009 Rookie (Loadholt,Meredith,Tupou)

2010 - without Kemo:
Starks
2010 Rookie
Mack/Unger
Colon
2009 Rookie (Loadholt,Meredith,Tupou)

All of this hinges on the fact of Colon moving to G at some point this year or next. If the Steelers feel he truely belongs at RT then we could see Robinson or Urbik added to this equation. I still feel Colon was just BPA at RT the last 2 years. We just don't know how the Steelers feel.

I think signing Kemo, for the right price, solidifies the OL for years to come if the Steelers could also land a C that could play G in 2009 and a RT in the 1st three rounds. I would like to see Mack, Unger, Wood, or Luigs in that order to play G this year and move to C in 2010. All 4 are very athletic and could play G. Then draft Meredith, Loadholt, or Tupou in that order. I think Meredith will be gone by our #2 but Loadholt might still be there. Add those pieces to the puzzle and we are talking 5 OL that will be together for 4 years. That could really help fill-up the other fingers!!!

WoodleyofTroy
02-25-2009, 04:45 PM

NO, NO, and NO!!

If he is implying that Saturday would be willing to play at a 3.6 tag this year with 5 mil bonus over 5 years I might consider it. Just remember now...Every year he doesn't finish now cost you a mil. So if he plays 2 years and he retires or gets released that is 3 mil dead money. I think the Colts offered him more than that and think he could get more on the market. To realisticly think he will be productive after he turns 36 is not a safe gamble. Farrior hasn't missed a game in the last three years. Saturday missed 4 games last year. Is this the start of the nagging injuries associated with the 30's for NFL players...Could be! That being said I would like a 2 year deal better like Hartwigs deal. That also means he would have to play for Hartwig money and I think his resume will command more!

Which was the point. Like I said, if it was expected that he'd want big money, then why bother with such a thread when we have multiple contracts that need to be handed out to our own stars next year. I never wanted a Jordan Gross or Vernon Carey for that exact reason and they are younger.

This was just about getting a guy for a few years to keep us fresh, putting us back over that hump, which is almost impossible to do the year after winning the Super Bowl. If you don't think Jeff Saturday is a difference maker (don't look at money) and will show that next year playing in front of Ben, then I guess we'll just have to share seperate opinions.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-25-2009, 05:40 PM

NO, NO, and NO!!

Which was the point. Like I said, if it was expected that he'd want big money, then why bother with such a thread when we have multiple contracts that need to be handed out to our own stars next year. I never wanted a Jordan Gross or Vernon Carey for that exact reason and they are younger.

This was just about getting a guy for a few years to keep us fresh, putting us back over that hump, which is almost impossible to do the year after winning the Super Bowl. If you don't think Jeff Saturday is a difference maker (don't look at money) and will show that next year playing in front of Ben, then I guess we'll just have to share seperate opinions.

I respect yours. I just feel the Steelers missed on some draft choices & waited too long to reload on the OL through the draft. Having a LT in place that is coming into his prime and home grown is a start. They have played "patch work quilt" too long on the interior and now have a chance to concentrate on the OL with some talent in the 1st three rounds. I have no problem with Saturday but I don't believe a sale until I get the receipt! I don't think the 1 or 2 years of productive play, regardless of the price, would benefit the Steelers in the long run. An OL that grows together...Wins together! The best thing that could happen for the Steelers FO, the coaches, the players, and Ben specificly is for the Steelers to get a future C and a RT(If Colon projects inside by the Steelers) or a G(If they feel Colon is their RT). This team is very close to putting a better run together than the Pats of '01-'04. Just for example...If they draft Mack @ #1 & Loadholt @ #2 and hit...that is an OL that could have 4 straight years together as a unit. I think 2 SBs in that time frame...Might be a little modest!!!

Discipline of Steel
02-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Guys, please, take Simmons out of your equations...The dude is toast. Someone was talking about him being 80% (achilles) of 80% (diabetes)...they forgot to add that he sucked at 100%. Simmons will not be swallowing a roster spot this year, regardless of his dead money. Sometimes dead money happens in the NFL, at least its not Raider dead money.

toddjammin
02-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Per Profootballtalk.com

SATURDAY USING STEELERS TO SQUEEZE COLTS?
Posted by Mike Florio on February 25, 2009, 8:04 a.m.
Colts center Jeff Saturday has been a fixture in Indianapolis. But the Colts won’t be re-signing him before he hits the market on Friday.

And that could be the Steelers’ gain.

If the Steelers are interested.

Saturday is interested, according to agent Ralph Cindrich.

“I talked to Jeff after the Super Bowl, and he said if you can get me there, that would be beautiful,” Cindrich told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “This is a Rooney-type of guy if ever there was one.”

Though Saturday is a center and the Steelers found a solid one last year at this time in Justin Hartwig, Cindrich says that Saturday is willing to play guard.

“He’s happy to play guard,” Cindrich said. “He started in the league at guard. He told me, ‘I’ll play anywhere.’”

The Steelers could be losing right guard Chris Kemoeatu to free agency, which would create a hole that Saturday could fill.

But Saturday is also 33, and the gas could be running out of the tank.

Then again, this talk of Saturday to the Steelers could be part of an effort by Cindrich to squeeze the Colts into stepping up and using some of that cap savings they created when cutting Marvin Harrison.

‘Unless the market is totally flat, I don’t think [he’ll return to the Colts],” Cindrich said. “I feel like something could be done, but you never know about the Steelers.”

Or any of the other 30 teams, if it gets the Colts to open the checkbook

NKySteeler
02-25-2009, 08:12 PM
"Game sounds"..........

[youtube:3pkt708m]68dcy4MDlkk&hl[/youtube:3pkt708m]

papillon
02-25-2009, 09:25 PM
[quote=ikestops85]If he would settle for Farrior money then yes ... but he won't so I say

NO, NO, and NO!!

I respect yours. I just feel the Steelers missed on some draft choices & waited too long to reload on the OL through the draft. Having a LT in place that is coming into his prime and home grown is a start. They have played "patch work quilt" too long on the interior and now have a chance to concentrate on the OL with some talent in the 1st three rounds. I have no problem with Saturday but I don't believe a sale until I get the receipt! I don't think the 1 or 2 years of productive play, regardless of the price, would benefit the Steelers in the long run. An OL that grows together...Wins together! The best thing that could happen for the Steelers FO, the coaches, the players, and Ben specificly is for the Steelers to get a future C and a RT(If Colon projects inside by the Steelers) or a G(If they feel Colon is their RT). This team is very close to putting a better run together than the Pats of '01-'04. Just for example...If they draft Mack @ #1 & Loadholt @ #2 and hit...that is an OL that could have 4 straight years together as a unit. I think 2 SBs in that time frame...Might be a little modest!!![/quote:ji2h3b23]

That may be true about the offense, however, this upcoming year is going to be the last that this defense is together. Harrison is going to make sure of that with his contract demands. The Steelers will sign him to a huge contract and it will prohibit them form signing Woodley and Timmons.

By then Troy's contract will be up and Anthony Smith will probably be gone. Not sure what will happen there. Lets hope that Davis and another LB draft choice pan out over the next few years.

I was hoping that Harrison wouldn't want the Steelers to back the Brinks truck up to his doorstep, but, it appears that he is expecting to be compensated for being underpaid in the past.

Pappy

fordfixer
02-25-2009, 11:30 PM

Pappy[/quote]

I would have to say no to saturday becoming a Steeler for some of the same reasons you want him. " Saturday would anchor the line for one year maybe two and this year's interior lineman that is drafted will get a chance to watch and learn like many other Steeler draft choices." This would make our o-line better then we as fans would have to find some thing else to bitch and moan about. :lol:

stlrz d
02-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Per Profootballtalk.com

SATURDAY USING STEELERS TO SQUEEZE COLTS?
Posted by Mike Florio on February 25, 2009, 8:04 a.m.
Colts center Jeff Saturday has been a fixture in Indianapolis. But the Colts won’t be re-signing him before he hits the market on Friday.

And that could be the Steelers’ gain.

If the Steelers are interested.

Saturday is interested, according to agent Ralph Cindrich.

“I talked to Jeff after the Super Bowl, and he said if you can get me there, that would be beautiful,” Cindrich told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “This is a Rooney-type of guy if ever there was one.”

Though Saturday is a center and the Steelers found a solid one last year at this time in Justin Hartwig, Cindrich says that Saturday is willing to play guard.

“He’s happy to play guard,” Cindrich said. “He started in the league at guard. He told me, ‘I’ll play anywhere.’”

The Steelers could be losing right guard Chris Kemoeatu to free agency, which would create a hole that Saturday could fill.

But Saturday is also 33, and the gas could be running out of the tank.

Then again, this talk of Saturday to the Steelers could be part of an effort by Cindrich to squeeze the Colts into stepping up and using some of that cap savings they created when cutting Marvin Harrison.

‘Unless the market is totally flat, I don’t think [he’ll return to the Colts],” Cindrich said. “I feel like something could be done, but you never know about the Steelers.”

Or any of the other 30 teams, if it gets the Colts to open the checkbook

Leave it to Florio to take someone else's story, put a different title on it and claim it for his own.

Florio's douchebaggery knows no bounds.

pittpete
02-26-2009, 02:21 AM
I think resigning Kemo does nothing to solidify our O-line.
Too many mental mistakes, and his wunderlic score was disgustingly low so I dont believe time and coaching will make him smarter. He's not athletic enough to pull and is an absolute liability in pass protection.
IMHO Faneca is not with us because he was a FN whiny crybaby that was unhappy with change or else I believe he would still be here today.
Saturday could come here for a few years and solidify our line with a vet presence and solid play while Bens in his prime.
Honestly, Ben might not make it more than 3 more years if he keeps taking the punishment he has received the last 2 years.
Simmons is a goner, and lets face it no team is going to want Colon.
Cant Capizzi/Hills/Essex start at RT?

mshifko
02-26-2009, 08:55 AM
he's a capable guy that would bring some experience and leadership to our offensive line...we are losing marvel, the longest tenured guy on our line, to replace that leadership with saturday would be nice...he can still play at a high level IMO, his age should warrent a 2 year deal however

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-26-2009, 10:13 AM
If you guys think that the Steelers will bring in a 34 year old C for 5 mil to play 2 years on this team...I guess Rooney stopped signing the checks! I don't expect them to break the bank on Kemo either. Saturday's experience could benefit but I honestly don't think he is a physical presence in the run game. Kemo or a rookie have a ceiling and could get better with coaching. Saturday can go nowhere but down. Look outside the football aspect too. Do you think a guy who has been on a winning team for 10 years is going to pick up his family and move them for the same or less money??? He turned down the Colts offer because he wants more money. If he wants to play here on a 2 year deal for 3 mil ok. I don't expect him to turn his family's life upside down for that. I don't see the Steelers spending 5 mil on a guy and having to sacrifice a Harrison, Miller, Woodley, Timmons or anyone coming up for new contracts. We know what a Steeler signing looks like. Even if the lose kemo they won't be in panic mode. A Steeler signing would be a guy like Jeremy Bridges after the draft. He was released by Carolina and can play G & T. Insurance in case a rookie isn't ready. He won't have a big price tag and he won't take away from compensatory picks because he was released. There are other factors here needed to be considered. None of this was meant to "Dis" anyone of the great Steeler Nation who post here...Don't take it personal!!!

feltdizz
02-26-2009, 10:46 AM
I agree JPN... unless Saturday begs us and takes a massive pay cut I don't see how we sign a guy like him AFTER winning a SB. I don't see us doing as much as some think regarding our OL.

papillon
02-26-2009, 11:15 AM
If the Steelers draft the future center or guard this year, wouldn't Saturday be the perfect stop gap while the rookie learns the scheme and position finer points from a veteran?

I would welcome this move for Saturday if it could be worked out.

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-26-2009, 12:39 PM
If the Steelers draft the future center or guard this year, wouldn't Saturday be the perfect stop gap while the rookie learns the scheme and position finer points from a veteran?

Pappy

Here is how I see it Pap. If Kemo is signed (2.5-3 mil) and they draft Mack, Unger, Woods...I honestly feel the rookie will be starting at RG opening day. Simmons will still be on the roster in the back-up role. I do not think he will even be (I'm the one that said it "Discipline of Steel") more than 80% of the 80% he was last year. Meaning he never returned to full strength from his diabetes and this injury is usually a 2 season recovery even if you fully recover. He will be released after June 1 of the 2010 season if it is a capped year or next offseason in an un capped year. As long as the league doesn't put any rule into effect about dumping salaries in the uncapped year. They will give him a chance to fully recover and serve as a back-up just because he would create "Mucha" dead money if the release him this year. If I was an advisor, I would use the uncapped year to get out of a bad contract. If Kemo walks, the Steelers will look to the draft before FA. Unless there is a 26-28 year old vet they fall in love with, late in FA, who wants to play for the Steelers and work for a bigger contract by performing for the Steelers under a discount. The rookie will start at LG and Simmons, Stapleton, Essex(If signed), Parquet, Legursky, or another rookie will battle it out for RG.

Another scenario in either situation would be if the Hills or Capizzi show they are ready to play RT or a rookie from this class impresses enough...The Colon experiment could begin. This move is specualtion because we don't know if the Steelers really see Colon as their RT or Colon was just the best option at RT the last 2 years. Looking at my mock, I would draft Mack #1 & Loadholt #2. I think Unger comes off the board before Mack but I like Mack better. Loadholt's combine dropped his stock so I think Meredith is gone before us and Loadholt will still be on the board. Hopefully, Loadholt could push Colon inside next year. If the Steelers see Colon as their RT then I still take Mack and then hope for Robinson or Urbik fall to the #2.

To me...Saturday takes a roster spot from developing an OL. This team isn't in a 1-2 year window. The money I think he will command could be used on retaining our own. I'm not willing to say goodbye to any of the young talent up for contracts in the next 2 years to get possibly a marginal upgrade by mid season. I would say Saturday could have significant impact on a rookie coming to a team...The team however would be the Colts. He will be in learning mode here as much as the next guy and the help his experience would give outside the huddle would not be seen until he feels comfortable himself in this system with his new teammates. That would not come until after mid-season or even next year in my opinion. Faneca wasn't Faneca in his first year with the Jets but he could very well be himself next year. That wasn't because of his talent or intelligence...He was on a new team, in a new system, with new players around him. There are things that just take some time and Saturday doesn't have that at 34 years old. That is how I see it. I would be extremely shocked to see Saturday in a Steelers uniform with a 5 mil tag with Simmons contract sitting next to it. Used tape only sticks so many times!!!

Jooser
02-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Here's some more blogging about Saturday on NFL.com, in case it wasn't previously posted.

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/around-the-web/

Is Saturday all right for Pittsburgh?
Posted: February 25th, 2009 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Chris Kemoeatu, Jeff Saturday, Pittsburgh Steelers, Ralph Cindrich

Could Jeff Saturday be joining the world champions? Saturday’s agent told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that the veteran center would like to be a Steeler.

“I talked to Jeff after the Super Bowl, and he said if you can get me there, that would be beautiful,” said Pittsburgh-based agent Ralph Cindrich. “This is a Rooney-type of guy if ever there was one.”
Cindrich went on to say that Saturday would be willing to change positions to become a member of the Steelers, who could lose incumbent guard Chris Kemoeatu to free agency.

aggiebones
02-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Excuse me, but are some of you implying that we'll draft Mack, stuff him in at RG, THEN draft a RT somewhere else in the draft and start him at RT? Serious? 2 rookies, Hartwig Stapleton/Colon at RG and half hearted Starks at LT? And this is an improvement?

Hills started as a TE at texas u. He got hurt bad, so he moved to LT. He's athletic enough, but I don't think he can handle the bruteness needed for RT. He's a project to become a viable backup frankly.

Our current OL would be better than this scenario.

As for Saturday, I would only consider if he came for a 4 yr contract. Modest money, but 4 years. I think he can play it out, teach while playing and towards the end start to fade, much like Hartings. How old was Hartings when he left?
I'd ponder this:

Starks
Mack?
Hartwig
Saturday
Colon

Or

Starks
Saturday
Hartwig
Colon
rookie RT?

We can improve our current OL in 1 season, but we can't turn it completely over. Saturday could cover us for 3-4 years. He'd be fading towards the last of his contract, but still be saavy enough to play out the contract and hopefully the other G will have improved enough to make it a strength.

BUT, I think this is all a pipe dream.

This will be our opening day OL:

C - Hartwig - mediocre
LT - Starks - mediocre
RT/RG Colon - barely decent, but year as starter helps
RG/backup Stapleton - good prospect
LG or RT rookie

So same line with a top pick at a starter somewhere, minus Kemo. A decent OL again. But not in the top 15 or maybe even 20 of the OLs. But maybe start going in the right direction.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Excuse me, but are some of you implying that we'll draft Mack, stuff him in at RG, THEN draft a RT somewhere else in the draft and start him at RT? Serious? 2 rookies, Hartwig Stapleton/Colon at RG and half hearted Starks at LT? And this is an improvement?

Hills started as a TE at texas u. He got hurt bad, so he moved to LT. He's athletic enough, but I don't think he can handle the bruteness needed for RT. He's a project to become a viable backup frankly.

As for Saturday, I would only consider if he came for a 4 yr contract. Modest money, but 4 years. I think he can play it out, teach while playing and towards the end start to fade, much like Hartings. How old was Hartings when he left?
I'd ponder this:

Starks
Mack?
Hartwig
Saturday
Colon

Or

Starks
Saturday
Hartwig
Colon
rookie RT?

We can improve our current OL in 1 season, but we can't turn it completely over. Saturday could cover us for 3-4 years. He'd be fading towards the last of his contract, but still be saavy enough to play out the contract and hopefully the other G will have improved enough to make it a strength.

C - Hartwig - mediocre
LT - Starks - mediocre
LG or RT rookie

So same line with a top pick at a starter somewhere, minus Kemo. A decent OL again. But not in the top 15 or maybe even 20 of the OLs. But maybe start going in the right direction.

Mack and/or Unger are better than any interior OL on this team and both will start at G. Then move to C in 2010. Now, if somehow Meredith falls to the #2 I think he could actually "Force" the Steelers to look at Colon at G. However, I don't think he will be there. Loadholt & Tupou are most likely 2010 starters but there has been surprises before. To answer your question...It doesn't matter if 1 or 2 rookies are on this OL...Rookie/Vet...Talent/Experience...You could trade off an experienced player for a more talented one. If the rookie has his assignments down and understands the playbook he will see the field if he is better than the guy in front of him. I don't see how thinking just because there could be 1 or 2 rookies on this OL in 2009 that is a downgrade. I don't see having Mack or Unger starting at G and a 5th or 6th round rookie will happen but it isn't unheard of that a 2nd or 3rd round pick lights it up in camp and the player in front of him gets passed!

Here's a 2 rookie scenario for ya...What's your opinion?

Kemo leaves via FA.

Steelers Draft:
#1 Mack
#2 Urbik

Mack Starts at LG and Urbik beats out Simmons, Stapleton, & Essex (If he signs).

Opening day Starters:
Starks
Mack
Hartwig
Urbik
Colon

Is that an upgrade over:
Starks
Kemo
Hartwig
Stapleton
Colon

I like the 2 rookies in the line-up. The only way they are there is if they know the playbook and assignments. So if they know their assignments...And are more talented that the vets that were there...Why isn't that an upgrade? Because they are rookies? The bar hasn't been set that high for them....

feltdizz
02-26-2009, 03:30 PM

Pappy

if he was signing with a Steeler discount then sure... but I think he would be too expensive.

I also think our inside run blocking was terrible..
Saturday missed 4 games last year and Indy was never an inside running team.

Hartwig will do IMO

Oviedo
02-26-2009, 03:35 PM

I'd ponder this:

Starks
Mack?
Hartwig
Saturday
Colon

Or

Starks
Saturday
Hartwig
Colon
rookie RT?

C - Hartwig - mediocre
LT - Starks - mediocre
LG or RT rookie

Mack and/or Unger are better than any interior OL on this team and both will start at G. Then move to C in 2010. Now, if somehow Meredith falls to the #2 I think he could actually "Force" the Steelers to look at Colon at G. However, I don't think he will be there. Loadholt & Tupou are most likely 2010 starters but there has been surprises before. To answer your question...It doesn't matter if 1 or 2 rookies are on this OL...Rookie/Vet...Talent/Experience...You could trade off an experienced player for a more talented one. If the rookie has his assignments down and understands the playbook he will see the field if he is better than the guy in front of him. I don't see how thinking just because there could be 1 or 2 rookies on this OL in 2009 that is a downgrade. I don't see having Mack or Unger starting at G and a 5th or 6th round rookie will happen but it isn't unheard of that a 2nd or 3rd round pick lights it up in camp and the player in front of him gets passed!

Here's a 2 rookie scenario for ya...What's your opinion?

Kemo leaves via FA.

Steelers Draft:
#1 Mack
#2 Urbik

Mack Starts at LG and Urbik beats out Simmons, Stapleton, & Essex (If he signs).

Opening day Starters:
Starks
Mack
Hartwig
Urbik
Colon

Is that an upgrade over:
Starks
Kemo
Hartwig
Stapleton
Colon

I like the 2 rookies in the line-up. The only way they are there is if they know the playbook and assignments. So if they know their assignments...And are more talented that the vets that were there...Why isn't that an upgrade? Because they are rookies? The bar hasn't been set that high for them....

I really like Urbik and think he will end up being the best Guard in this draft. Not sure I go OL though in Round 1 and 2.

Given how thin the NT position is I am really thinking that maybe we should take Ron Brace at 1.32. Is that overdrafting? Probably, but when you know he will be gone by your next pick I like to think of it more as leapfrogging the competition.

Djfan
02-26-2009, 03:36 PM

C - Hartwig - mediocre
LT - Starks - mediocre
LG or RT rookie

The right direction comes from good leadership. Do you think these guys give that? I don't want to see a rookie coming in to learn mediocre and continue that tradition. This is where Saturday can help us IMO.

feltdizz
02-26-2009, 03:49 PM

C - Hartwig - mediocre
LT - Starks - mediocre
LG or RT rookie

The right direction comes from good leadership. Do you think these guys give that? I don't want to see a rookie coming in to learn mediocre and continue that tradition. This is where Saturday can help us IMO.

I don't buy that... I don't think a guy like Mack coming in will hit a mediocre ceiling because Hartwig is in front of him.

I have more issue's with Saturday injured for 4 games and arguing with Peyton Manning. Has anyone thought about how head strong Saturday may be and if it would gel with Ben's sandlot style?

Djfan
02-26-2009, 03:55 PM

C - Hartwig - mediocre
LT - Starks - mediocre
LG or RT rookie

I don't buy that... I don't think a guy like Mack coming in will hit a mediocre ceiling because Hartwig is in front of him.

I have more issue's with Saturday injured for 4 games and arguing with Peyton Manning. Has anyone thought about how head strong Saturday may be and if it would gel with Ben's sandlot style?

You may be right about the leadership thing. You may be wrong. It's all chemistry.

As for his fighting with Manning, it is simple. Manning is a self centered jerk. He called them out many times. Ben isn't a jerk and doesnt' think he's God's gift to the NFL, as Peyton does. That would not happen.

Remember when the Colts went to the SB? That one chick correspondent asked Saturday if he is glad to be there for Peyton. He said something like "It's not about him" and laughed off the stupid idea of Peyton worship.

aggiebones
02-26-2009, 04:05 PM
The Jets draft D'Brick and Mangold a few years ago. Both were top propects at their position.
They were very good as ROOKIES, but their mistakes were too much to overcome. And they were both first rounders. D'Brick being a top 5 can't miss guy.

We would not be getting those prospects in our draft position. I don't think its logical to put 2 rookies on a team that just won the SB and tell them both to start. Status quo has a better chance of winning again. We need to gobble up as many SBs as we can.

You don't know what the future holds. Ben or Troy career ends. Future DL prospects flop, etc etc. This team CAN win now. Don't go all whole sale change to try to upgrade and shoot yourself in the foot by making it worse.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-26-2009, 04:06 PM

C - Hartwig - mediocre
LT - Starks - mediocre
LG or RT rookie

Don't you think Faneca could have provided that? Whats the common factor between these 2? Faneca was much younger, came from this system, and had another contract in him. Saturday is 34, coming from another team, another system, and has 2 years left in him. Hartwig & Simmons are seasoned vets...Why can't they provide that! Porter was the leader on the defense and the defense got BETTER without him. The young LBs on defense had others to look to. Saturday isn't the same player he once was. If he was the Colts would make a better offer. He comes over from a run first - spread offense that played in a dome. Saturday is going to have to learn just like the rookie coming in when it comes to the playbook and assignments. He will have Hartwig, Starks, & Simmons trying to help him as well as coaches. If you are telling me the guy is going to come in here and coach the young OL and help them out with technique, then I'm all for that. But from what I have heard he is trying to sign a player contract not a coaching contract. So as a player first, who will be 34, in decline, looking for a nice contract, I'll pass!!! Give me a chance at a rookie, who by midseason could be as good as him, for half the price for the next 2-3 years, and be in this organization for the next 10 years...No brainer!!! Throw in the fact I have a franchise QB under contract for the next 6 years...I want an OL that could grow together...Not grow old together!!!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-26-2009, 04:23 PM
The Jets draft D'Brick and Mangold a few years ago. Both were top propects at their position.
They were very good as ROOKIES, but their mistakes were too much to overcome. And they were both first rounders. D'Brick being a top 5 can't miss guy.

We would not be getting those prospects in our draft position. I don't think its logical to put 2 rookies on a team that just won the SB and tell them both to start. Status quo has a better chance of winning again. We need to gobble up as many SBs as we can.

You don't know what the future holds. Ben or Troy career ends. Future DL prospects flop, etc etc. This team CAN win now. Don't go all whole sale change to try to upgrade and shoot yourself in the foot by making it worse.

It wasn't their mistakes that was too much to overcome. It was their coaching, drafting, and a guy name Chad!!! I can't believe you would bring those guys names up and surround them with negativity. I would take both of them in a heartbeat!!! Mangold is a perfect example to this scenario. Do you know who he pushed out of town??? All Pro, All World Kevin Mawae. Same reason Saturday is being shown the door. His play is in decline and Pollack is in the wings. The OL from the SB had a combined starting experience of 2 years and a combined age of 26. Young guys can get it done too...That is why there are coaches!!!

papillon
02-26-2009, 04:26 PM

C - Hartwig - mediocre
LT - Starks - mediocre
LG or RT rookie

Don't you think Faneca could have provided that? Whats the common factor between these 2? Faneca was much younger, came from this system, and had another contract in him. Saturday is 34, coming from another team, another system, and has 2 years left in him. Hartwig & Simmons are seasoned vets...Why can't they provide that! Porter was the leader on the defense and the defense got BETTER without him. The young LBs on defense had others to look to. Saturday isn't the same player he once was. If he was the Colts would make a better offer. He comes over from a run first - spread offense that played in a dome. Saturday is going to have to learn just like the rookie coming in when it comes to the playbook and assignments. He will have Hartwig, Starks, & Simmons trying to help him as well as coaches. If you are telling me the guy is going to come in here and coach the young OL and help them out with technique, then I'm all for that. But from what I have heard he is trying to sign a player contract not a coaching contract. So as a player first, who will be 34, in decline, looking for a nice contract, I'll pass!!! Give me a chance at a rookie, who by midseason could be as good as him, for half the price for the next 2-3 years, and be in this organization for the next 10 years...No brainer!!! Throw in the fact I have a franchise QB under contract for the next 6 years...I want an OL that could grow together...Not grow old together!!!

The difference as best I can tell is that Harrison actually ended up being an upgrade over Porter. Where as, I can't see Simmons, Hartwig, Kemo or Stapleton being an upgrade over Saturday. He'd provide an upgrade at a position of need and the veteran leadership. The Steelers need to be able to run the ball between the tackles better than they did last year. I don't want to have to count on Ben to bail the Steelers out 4 or 5 times a season, because, they can't take the air out of the ball.

I think Saturday adds some nastiness to the middle.

Pappy

feltdizz
02-26-2009, 04:27 PM

You may be right about the leadership thing. You may be wrong. It's all chemistry.

As for his fighting with Manning, it is simple. Manning is a self centered jerk. He called them out many times. Ben isn't a jerk and doesnt' think he's God's gift to the NFL, as Peyton does. That would not happen.

Remember when the Colts went to the SB? That one chick correspondent asked Saturday if he is glad to be there for Peyton. He said something like "It's not about him" and laughed off the stupid idea of Peyton worship.

Manning may be a self centered jerk but I bet you Saturday is just as head strong.
I didn't see anything wrong with Peyton saying his OL had protection problems.. from the looks of it they did. Dude is the franchise QB.. he is loved by the NFL and I know it gets old and tired.... but dude pretty much put the Colts on his back from day one and he is not light on his feet. So max protection is key to his success.

Ben has no problem not bashing his OL because it actually plays into his style of sandlot football.. he even said in practice he ignores plays and goes sandlot at times to keep the O on it's toes...

I bet if Ben was protected all day long he would bash his OL for not letting him have any fun.

Let me add... I am not a Peyton Manning fan either.. I hate the love he gets for being a good regular season QB.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-26-2009, 04:50 PM

C - Hartwig - mediocre
LT - Starks - mediocre
LG or RT rookie

The difference as best I can tell is that Harrison actually ended up being an upgrade over Porter. Where as, I can't see Simmons, Hartwig, Kemo or Stapleton being an upgrade over Saturday. He'd provide an upgrade at a position of need and the veteran leadership. The Steelers need to be able to run the ball between the tackles better than they did last year. I don't want to have to count on Ben to bail the Steelers out 4 or 5 times a season, because, they can't take the air out of the ball.

I think Saturday adds some nastiness to the middle.

Pappy

That is what we thought we were loosing when Porter left. I agree Pap. Hartwig, Stapleton, or Simmons are not better than Saturday. Kemo is a better run blocker though. He is young and can be coached about picking up stunts in pass protection. For the minimal upgrade, price tag, and amount of time he has left...Do you really think Saturday is worth it? This musical chair game on the OL has to stop and the way to stop it is in the draft again!!! Just think about the last several years. The last 2 SB we were in. The defenses were always in the top 3 and the question was always the offense. What is the same on the defense? With the exception of the other Kemo leaving...That is the same DL. Keisel steps in after the SB and here we are again this year. Hampton & Smith never left the field and Keisel was a year behind. We always say how foolish it is for another team to go out in FA and sign a guy just because he made a name for himself. How championship teams are built through the draft. And here we are as Steeler fans falling right into the trap! Wanting to sign a 34 year old OL that made a name for himself. I don't get it.

WoodleyofTroy
02-26-2009, 05:04 PM
That is what we thought we were loosing when Porter left. I agree Pap. Hartwig, Stapleton, or Simmons are not better than Saturday. Kemo is a better run blocker though. He is young and can be coached about picking up stunts. For the minimal upgrade, price tag, and amount of time he has left...Do you really think Saturday is worth it? This musical chair game on the OL has to stop and the way to stop it is in the draft again!!! Just think about the last several years. The last 2 SB we were in. The defenses were always in the top 3 and the question was always the offense. What is consitant on the defense? With the exception of the other Kemo leaving...That is the same DL. Keisel steps in after the SB and here we are again this year. Hampton & Smith never left the field and Keisel was a year behind. We always say how foolish it is to go out in FA and sign a guy just because he made a name for himself. How championship teams are built through the draft. And here we are as Steeler fans falling right into the trap! Wanting to sign a 34 year old OL that made a name for himself. I don't get it.

No one is saying bring in Jeff Saturday and not draft Alex Mack or Max Unger, or improve the OL through the draft altogether. Of course he's not a long term answer. Just one of those signings that puts you over the edge in that post Super Bowl year which is the toughest. Which is a reason why no one repeats. They remember how good everything was the previous year and go in the following year thinking it'll be the same. I see Saturday bringing smarts and leadership late in the playoffs when you need it. Something you may not see a whole difference during the season with, but will later on.

If he wants big money, then forget it. He's either a guy that wants to play for us (in the Patriots mold where they get players to sign for less) or not. That was my whole point. Like I said, I'm not looking to bring in all pro talent for all pro money, we have enough of those to worry about getting taken care of.

feltdizz
02-26-2009, 05:04 PM
That is what we thought we were loosing when Porter left. I agree Pap. Hartwig, Stapleton, or Simmons are not better than Saturday. Kemo is a better run blocker though. He is young and can be coached about picking up stunts in pass protection. For the minimal upgrade, price tag, and amount of time he has left...Do you really think Saturday is worth it? This musical chair game on the OL has to stop and the way to stop it is in the draft again!!! Just think about the last several years. The last 2 SB we were in. The defenses were always in the top 3 and the question was always the offense. What is the same on the defense? With the exception of the other Kemo leaving...That is the same DL. Keisel steps in after the SB and here we are again this year. Hampton & Smith never left the field and Keisel was a year behind. We always say how foolish it is for another team to go out in FA and sign a guy just because he made a name for himself. How championship teams are built through the draft. And here we are as Steeler fans falling right into the trap! Wanting to sign a 34 year old OL that made a name for himself. I don't get it.

It is a trap and they fall into it every off season because the draft can't get here soon enough.....LOL!

We don't need Saturday.. we need young guys.. if we won a SB with Hartwig what are we going to win with Saturday? It makes no sense at all...

I almost think Saturday wants to come here because he WOULDN'T have to block as much and would never get called out for it by Ben.

feltdizz
02-26-2009, 05:08 PM
That is what we thought we were loosing when Porter left. I agree Pap. Hartwig, Stapleton, or Simmons are not better than Saturday. Kemo is a better run blocker though. He is young and can be coached about picking up stunts. For the minimal upgrade, price tag, and amount of time he has left...Do you really think Saturday is worth it? This musical chair game on the OL has to stop and the way to stop it is in the draft again!!! Just think about the last several years. The last 2 SB we were in. The defenses were always in the top 3 and the question was always the offense. What is consitant on the defense? With the exception of the other Kemo leaving...That is the same DL. Keisel steps in after the SB and here we are again this year. Hampton & Smith never left the field and Keisel was a year behind. We always say how foolish it is to go out in FA and sign a guy just because he made a name for himself. How championship teams are built through the draft. And here we are as Steeler fans falling right into the trap! Wanting to sign a 34 year old OL that made a name for himself. I don't get it.

No one is saying bring in Jeff Saturday and not draft Alex Mack or Max Unger, or improve the OL through the draft altogether. Of course he's not a long term answer. Just one of those signings that puts you over the edge in that post Super Bowl year which is the toughest. Which is a reason why no one repeats. They remember how good everything was the previous year and go in the following year thinking it'll be the same. I see Saturday bringing smarts and leadership late in the playoffs when you need it. Something you may not see a whole difference during the season with, but will later on.

If he wants big money, then forget it. He's either a guy that wants to play for us (in the Patriots mold where they get players to sign for less) or not. That was my whole point. Like I said, I'm not looking to bring in all pro talent for all pro money, we have enough of those to worry about getting taken care of.

No one repeats cause it's hard as hell to do... Saturday is not the difference between winning another SB this year... bring him in as a coach but not as a player.

I won't be mad if we got him for peanuts but I would not pay him a dollar more then Hartwig. However.....isn't the thinking that a FA is the key to another SB run what gets most teams in trouble?

Starlifter
02-26-2009, 05:30 PM
i don't know if we take him or not, i doubt the steelers will pay his fair market value. nevertheless, at his age though he figures he has 2-3 years left, 4 tops. the team with the best chance to grab another ring in that span is the steelers. I'm sure that's why he wants to come here.

Djfan
02-26-2009, 06:06 PM
This musical chair game on the OL has to stop and the way to stop it is in the draft again!!!

I agree with this. My only fear, and thus justification for Saturday (or whomever) is that we seem to have ignored the O line the last few drafts. I think we're behind the O line curve from guys growing into our system.

I wanted Faneca to stay, but not with his attitude. He was all about number 1 in that whole media stupidity, for some reason. Too bad. He would have lots of money and ring number 2 had he stayed.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Well Simmons was released. I think things change now. Kemo & a FA??? Still don't want Saturday if I had a choice.

stlrz d
02-26-2009, 08:46 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/2009022 ... 3/90226054 (http://www.indystar.com/article/20090226/SPORTS03/90226054)

It's over. He used us. :loser

WoodleyofTroy
02-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Well Simmons was released. I think things change now. Kemo & a FA??? Still don't want Saturday if I had a choice.

I'd rather sign a guy like Saturday (older vet) than a Stacey Andrews who has more upside but would prevent us from taking Mack or Unger. That was kind of my line of thinking through all of this.

WoodleyofTroy
02-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Yup Saturday signed a 3 year deal with Colts.

Ozey74
02-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Yup Saturday signed a 3 year deal with Colts.

Fudge!

I wonder what the terms are? Didn't see it on Total Access.

SteelBucks
02-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Ugh.........

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indianapolis Colts center Jeff Saturday has agreed to a three-year deal hours before he was expected to become a free agent.

Financial terms weren't available, but he is expected to be paid among the top centers in the game. To make the deal work, the Colts put in a lot of money in the contract's first couple years, according to a source.

The move came a day after the NFL salary cap increased from $123 million to $127 million. It was also a day after the Colts officially released Marvin Harrison, freeing up $6 million under the salary cap.

Mel Blount's G
02-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Ugh.........

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indianapolis Colts center Jeff Saturday has agreed to a three-year deal hours before he was expected to become a free agent.

Financial terms weren't available, but he is expected to be paid among the top centers in the game. To make the deal work, the Colts put in a lot of money in the contract's first couple years, according to a source.

The move came a day after the NFL salary cap increased from $123 million to $127 million. It was also a day after the Colts officially released Marvin Harrison, freeing up $6 million under the salary cap.
Please re-title this thread: "And so it ends..." :lol:

Steelgal
02-26-2009, 10:59 PM
I don't understand how you pay a 34 year old center one of the highest salaries at his position??? Good for us though. One less team to take an oline in the first round, hopefully......

stlrz d
02-26-2009, 11:21 PM
http://www.airlineempires.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/merge2.gif

RuthlessBurgher
02-26-2009, 11:37 PM

Ask and ye shall receive... :lol:

SidSmythe
02-26-2009, 11:45 PM
According to espn.com he signed a 3 yr deal to stay w/ the Colts.

RuthlessBurgher
02-26-2009, 11:49 PM

I think there is a contest that nobody told me about to see if we can have more "Saturday is no longer available" threads today than we had "Saturday is interested in Pittsburgh" threads earlier in the week. There is no question that no single topic has ever been merged more into one thread than the dozen or more Jeff Saturday threads that have popped up this week. And to think that the whole saga was much ado about nothing.

stlrz d
02-26-2009, 11:50 PM

I wasn't asking...I was predicting! :P

RuthlessBurgher
02-26-2009, 11:52 PM
[quote="stlrz d":1n6piqtv]http://www.airlineempires.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/merge2.gif

I wasn't asking...I was predicting! :P[/quote:1n6piqtv]

Predict and ye shall be correct, O Nostradamus. :lol:

Iron Shiek
02-27-2009, 12:03 AM

I think there is a contest that nobody told me about to see if we can have more "Saturday is no longer available" threads today than we had "Saturday is interested in Pittsburgh" threads earlier in the week. There is no question that no single topic has ever been merged more into one thread than the dozen or more Jeff Saturday threads that have popped up this week. And to think that the whole saga was much ado about nothing.

That's hilarious. Ha. And you are correct...since I've been posting here (about a year now) I haven't seen so much "action" around one story...obviously the Arians sucks threads were pretty numerous, but it seemed someone always had something different to say about it. The Saturday intrigue by all of us was interesting though.

SteelerNation1
02-27-2009, 12:47 AM
Dont know if this was posted or not.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/26/colts-keep-saturday/

BradshawsHairdresser
02-27-2009, 12:52 AM
They merged it into the 6-page Saturday thread.

I'm glad he went back to the Colts. I think the Steelers need to go young on the O-line.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-27-2009, 11:03 AM

I'd rather sign a guy like Saturday (older vet) than a Stacey Andrews who has more upside but would prevent us from taking Mack or Unger. That was kind of my line of thinking through all of this.

I hear ya! I'm not sure I want Andrews either. I would want a discount on him and a physical with a workout. Here is a scenario I wouldn't mind. However, this would mean the Steelers are moving Colon to G. With might be their line of thinking with the high tender because I don't see how they would take him completely off the market with his play at RT. This would be the extreme for the Steelers and their one "Big" free agent move. Anyway, look at Barnes from the Jags. Move him to RT and move Colon inside. Still draft Mack or Unger. Might still have to draft a G if they loose Kemo. I think Barnes draws too much interest with a lighter FA OL pool at OT and this isn't a possible scenario. Steeler type of signings I see if Kemo leaves would be Jeremy Bridges G who was released by Carolina or Brandon Moore G released by the Jets. 2 year deals just like Hartwig. Have a rookie learn a year behind him. I also think we will see a vet WR if Washington leaves for the #3. Not sure you go into the season in this offense confident with Sweed to step up. I think Sweed will be ready but you can't take that risk. Maybe a guy like Bryant Johnson or Devery Hendersen.

Jooser
02-27-2009, 11:31 AM
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z281/CindyBug555/DAYS/SATURDAY/saturday_1.gif

feltdizz
02-27-2009, 11:41 AM
I love the excitement Steeler fans get over FA's followed by the predictable disappointment....

dude was never coming to the Burgh... he is 34 and plays in a dome..

calmkiller
02-27-2009, 11:43 AM
According to ESPN.com he signed a 3 year contract to stay. Its on the FA page.

feltdizz
02-27-2009, 11:52 AM
damn.. I really thought we were going to get a 34 year old center who plays 8 to 10 games a year in domes...

:HeadBanger

stlrz d
02-27-2009, 11:55 AM

RuthlessBurgher
02-27-2009, 01:03 PM

You might as well keep that image bookmarked. I don't see an end to the Saturday threads in sight (although, ironically, they may finally stop on...wait for it...Saturday).

stlrz d
02-27-2009, 02:09 PM

You might as well keep that image bookmarked. I don't see an end to the Saturday threads in sight (although, ironically, they may finally stop on...wait for it...Saturday).

I know right where to find it. :P