PDA

View Full Version : Free agency getting close

NKySteeler
02-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Free agency getting close

With free agency just a couple of days away, talks are heating up between the Steelers and some of their unsigned players.

Others, however, see the writing on the wall.

There has been no contact between the Steelers and offensive tackle Marvel Smith, something that's not surprising if you read my story on Kevin Colbert just after the Super Bowl.

The Steelers, who know more about Smith's injury history than anybody, think his career may be over.

That may or not be the case, but the Steelers are moving on.

There has also been little contact with wide receiver Nate Washington.

After placing the franchise tag on left tackle Max Starks, the Steelers saw nearly half of the $20 million in free cap space they had available eaten up.

They'll also have to keep enough money free to tender offers to their restricted free agents right tackle Willie Colon being the biggest one.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

steeler_george
02-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Smith is done unfortunetly.

Kemo tender him a low tender, if he goes we get a draft pack out of it. I think he can be replaced.

I rather see the team use that money to sign Washington for a year, if he preforms again how he did this year he would the potential to be making more money going in to FA in next year's uncapped market.

RuthlessBurgher
02-25-2009, 02:04 PM

Kemo tender him a low tender, if he goes we get a draft pack out of it. I think he can be replaced.

I rather see the team use that money to sign Washington for a year, if he preforms again how he did this year he would the potential to be making more money going in to FA in next year's uncapped market.

Kemo is an unrestricted free agent now, so you can't give him a low tender expecting draft compensation. He was restricted last year, and we tendered him then. This year, our restricted free agent o-lineman is Colon. The lowest tender for him would net a 4th round pick in 2010 if he signed elsewhere (since he was drafted in the 4th round), but I think we may go one step up from that, giving him the tender that would require 2nd round compensation in 2010. Just a hunch.

phillyesq
02-25-2009, 02:16 PM

Kemo is an unrestricted free agent now, so you can't give him a low tender expecting draft compensation. He was restricted last year, and we tendered him then. This year, our restricted free agent o-lineman is Colon. The lowest tender for him would net a 4th round pick in 2010 if he signed elsewhere (since he was drafted in the 4th round), but I think we may go one step up from that, giving him the tender that would require 2nd round compensation in 2010. Just a hunch.

I agree that Colon will get the second round tender. Not that I'm a fan of Colon at all, but IMO, the Steelers don't want to risk losing him, and with the price just a 4th round tender, I could see some other team signing him.

Anthony Smith will be interesting. I wonder if the Steelers will give him the lowest tender (which would bring back a 3rd round pick) or if they'll decline to tender him at all.

RuthlessBurgher
02-25-2009, 02:20 PM

I agree that Colon will get the second round tender. Not that I'm a fan of Colon at all, but IMO, the Steelers don't want to risk losing him, and with the price just a 4th round tender, I could see some other team signing him.

Anthony Smith will be interesting. I wonder if the Steelers will give him the lowest tender (which would bring back a 3rd round pick) or if they'll decline to tender him at all.

I would think lowest tender. Bring him to camp. The potential is still there if the light somehow goes on for him. If he sucks it up in Latrobe, then cut him. If they feel that they can get one more year out of Ty Carter, then keep Carter as Troy's backup and a healthy Mundy could potentially be Clark's backup.

Oviedo
02-25-2009, 02:59 PM

I'm betting they decline to tender him at all. His bonehead antics and disrespect towards LaBeau at camp last summer was the straw that broke his back with this team. With Lewis and Mundy coming off the practice squad for DB positions and possible additions through the draft forget about Anthony Smith.

I will bet he ends up with either the Bumgals or Stains. My odds are better than 33% one of those losers sign him because he showed some splash plays.

papillon
02-25-2009, 03:27 PM

I'd hate to give up on A. Smith just yet, I don't believe he's ever played his natural position of SS for the Steelers. He's always replaced a FS and he could take some time to learn and react to that position. I hope they tender him and see what happens in camp.

Pappy