PDA

View Full Version : Was Max's Deal a Good Deal for the Steelers?

BradshawsHairdresser
02-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Sounds like it could restrict the Steelers from doing much in Free Agency. Per Bouchette's column today:

But Vierra notes one big problem for the Steelers, the NFL's salary cap. Various trackers of the cap peg the Steelers with roughly $20 million under the cap of $123 million. However, that was before Starks' deal, and before the accounting from last season that could affect their cap for this season. Taking just Starks' salary, it would reduce their room to around $11.5 million. All salary cap accounting must be done by Thursday, the day before free agency begins.

"We had some good initial discussions but they have a bit of an issue now with the cap because Max is counting $8.5 million," Vierra said. "They have some work to do on their end."

Further complicating deals done now is that, because 2010 is an uncapped year unless a new collective bargaining agreement is worked out, no salary can increase by more than 30 percent from 2009 to 2010. It should put a premium on either keeping a salary high for '09 -- and thus eating up more cap room -- or putting more money into a signing bonus. The latter might be even more difficult for the Steelers, who are undergoing an ownership restructuring.

Vierra cited the 30 percent rule as a potential problem as the Steelers negotiate for Kemoeatu.

"Yeah, they want him back," Vierra said. "But just because he wants to be there and they want him back doesn't mean it will get done. They have to do some stuff on their end."

Among that stuff is to extend the contract of linebacker James Harrison, the NFL defensive player of the year. That should cut deeply into their available salary cap room as well.

Those also are reasons they likely will get no deals done with cornerback Bryant McFadden or wide receiver Nate Washington before they become free agents Friday, too.

Link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09055/95 ... eelers.xml (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09055/951172-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml)

Oviedo
02-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Yes it was. Starks and specifically the LT position was the most importnat this off season on the OL. It is clear that that flights of fancy getting a top LT from outside the organization were never going to come to pass. Straks may have warts but you know what they are and he is a proven commodity. The reality is that he was probably the thrid best OT going into FA and we kept him. Not bad.

Kemo may want to be back but the relaity is that he probably won't. Mostly because he was not better than just average this past season in the one OL position that is easiest to replace. He will want top dollars and has not earned it.

BMAC also want to break the bank but he missed a number of games and it was not noticed that he was missing. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of your value. There are much higher priorities on defense to sign, e.g. Harrison and extend Woodley. Bmac is the odd man out...welcome to the salary cap.

There will obviously have to be some restructuring of contracts, e.g. Troy, Ben, Hines, FWP, etc; and cap casualties, e.g. Foote, Carter, Hampton? But the reality that I mentioned in another thread is the Steelers are about to embark on a generational changeover on this team. Don't be surprised if there are 10 new faces in the final 53 at the start of next season which would be extremely rare for a Super Bowl champ but necessary to get younger and cheaper.

phillyesq
02-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Yes it was. Starks and specifically the LT position was the most importnat this off season on the OL. It is clear that that flights of fancy getting a top LT from outside the organization were never going to come to pass. Straks may have warts but you know what they are and he is a proven commodity. The reality is that he was probably the thrid best OT going into FA and we kept him. Not bad.

Kemo may want to be back but the relaity is that he probably won't. Mostly because he was not better than just average this past season in the one OL position that is easiest to replace. He will want top dollars and has not earned it.

BMAC also want to break the bank but he missed a number of games and it was not noticed that he was missing. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of your value. There are much higher priorities on defense to sign, e.g. Harrison and extend Woodley. Bmac is the odd man out...welcome to the salary cap.

There will obviously have to be some restructuring of contracts, e.g. Troy, Ben, Hines, FWP, etc; and cap casualties, e.g. Foote, Carter, Hampton? But the reality that I mentioned in another thread is the Steelers are about to embark on a generational changeover on this team. Don't be surprised if there are 10 new faces in the final 53 at the start of next season which would be extremely rare for a Super Bowl champ but necessary to get younger and cheaper.

I agree that keeping Starks was the right move.

If the Steelers really wanted to bring Kemo back into the fold, there is plenty of money to make it happen. This sounds to me like Kemo's agent is starting to spin to other teams throughout the league why the Super Bowl Champs chose not to retain a 26 or 27 year old guard who started every game for them this year.

mshifko
02-24-2009, 02:37 PM
keeping starks is a good thing

everyone talks about having that big time LT to protect your QB's blindside...he's a lefty and looks natural at LT...he wasn't the problem that we experienced at times this year on the oline

Oviedo
02-24-2009, 03:39 PM

everyone talks about having that big time LT to protect your QB's blindside...he's a lefty and looks natural at LT...he wasn't the problem that we experienced at times this year on the oline

Couldn't agree more. Our problems on the OL are in order from the biggest: Stapleton, Kemo and then Colon.

Let Kemo go and move Colon there.

Just saw where Kwame Brown was jsut released by the Raiders. I think he is only 27 years old.

RuthlessBurgher
02-24-2009, 04:09 PM

Couldn't agree more. Our problems on the OL are in order from the biggest: Stapleton, Kemo and then Colon.

Just saw where Kwame Brown was jsut released by the Raiders. I think he is only 27 years old.

Wasn't Kwame Brown the failed 1st overall pick by Michael Jordan when he ran the Wizzing Bullets?

I think you meant Kwame Harris. Since we didn't give his brother Orien much of a shot here, he may not think too highly of the Steelers.

Oviedo
02-24-2009, 04:15 PM

Wasn't Kwame Brown the failed 1st overall pick by Michael Jordan when he ran the Wizzing Bullets?

I think you meant Kwame Harris. Since we didn't give his brother Orien much of a shot here, he may not think too highly of the Steelers.

i stand corrected

RuthlessBurgher
02-24-2009, 04:38 PM

i stand corrected

Regarding Harris, I found this quote out there when I looked him up: "if you want to see a Niner fan's head explode, just mention the name Kwame Harris."

Also, for those who were frustrated by Willie Colon's pre-snap penalties, there is this factoid: Raiders LT Kwame Harris leads all NFL players with nine false starts (Ten teams have nine false starts or fewer).

SteelerOfDeVille
02-24-2009, 05:24 PM
I've said for months that I thought tagging Max was a no brainer.

I expect at least 2 G/C prospects in the first 5 rounds...

While hartwig has been leagues better than mahan, he hasn't been all-world. And he doesn't have much time on his contract... Because of that, Alex Mack wouldn't be a bad selection.

G because... well.. you saw 'em.

My wish-list of players includes any of the 1st 4-5 guards + any of the first 4-5 centers...

T's... only if one is under-rated and the team is getting good value.

WoodleyofTroy
02-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Some team would have thrown at least 8 mil a year at him. Yes out of the main 4 (BMac, Nate, Kemo, Starks), the Steelers went in the right direction. All four are expected to cash in, and we kept the best position.