PDA

View Full Version : Steelers enjoy premiere of Super Bowl video

fordfixer
02-24-2009, 01:17 AM
Steelers enjoy premiere of Super Bowl video

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, February 24, 2009

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 13145.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_613145.html)

Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes didn't have to wait to watch the end of Monday night's VIP screening of the official Super Bowl XLIII video.

Holmes, the Super Bowl MVP who caught the winning touchdown pass in the final minute, knows the ending by heart — the good guys win.

But he watched anyway.

Holmes was joined by teammates James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley, Hines Ward and Willie Parker, who gathered at the AMC Loews Waterfront 22 theater in Homestead for the red-carpet event.

Woodley made Holmes' 6-yard touchdown catch from Ben Roethlisbeger hold up when he forced Arizona quarterback Kurt Warner to fumble while attempting a desperation pass. The Steelers recovered, enabling the clock to run out in their 27-23 victory.

"I kind of miss working out," said Woodley, who, like many of his teammates, has been on the television and radio circuit following the Super Bowl. "I'm going to start back training (in March)."

While his teammates dressed casually for the event, Ward wore a stylish suit without a tie. He also sported a pair of sunglasses.

"I thought winning the first Super Bowl was good. But winning the second one feels extra special because of all the stuff we had to go through," said Ward, the MVP of Super Bowl XL. "We had the hardest schedule before the season started. Overcoming a lot of different things with injuries and what-not and still staying the course and being able to come together as a team and win the Super Bowl."

As for his choice of clothing, Ward replied, "I've got to teach some of the younger guys what the red carpet is. We're the first ones on our team to watch the premiere."

Ward wasn't wearing sunglasses to make a fashion statement. He said he suffered a broken blood vessel in his eye resulting from a negative reaction following offseason surgery for a torn rotator cuff he suffered in the second week of the season.

"I'm wearing shades because I busted a blood vessel while I was throwing up (because) of the anesthesia during surgery. It was pretty bad," Ward said. "Any time you go under the knife, it's a big deal.

"Shoulder injuries are the worst. I had my knee 'scoped a couple of times; I can get over that. I thought the shoulder wouldn't be as bad. They put a couple of screws in it to make sure it heals properly. I'm supposed to be in a sling, but it doesn't look cool to be on the red carpet in a sling."

Ward attributed his emotional response immediately following the Super Bowl win to playing in the game despite a painful knee injury.

"A lot of people were concerned about the knee. I had a six-week injury but played in two weeks," he said. "That's why I was very emotional about the game because I put so much into it."

Woodley plans to ask some of the veterans who played in Super Bowl XL about the best way to prepare for next season. The Steelers finished 8-8 the year after winning their last Super Bowl.

"There's definitely going to be some of those questions coming up. Just the things we can do to get better," Woodley said.

"Week to week, every team we play is going to give us their best shot. Every team wants to beat the Pittsbugh Steelers. They feel like if they beat the Steelers, they're on top. Our job is to take care of business like we've been doing."

The Super Bowl XLIII DVD arrives in stores today. Ward, Holmes and Woodley will be signing copies of the DVD this week at selected area locations.

proudpittsburgher
02-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Ward wasn't wearing sunglasses to make a fashion statement. He said he suffered a broken blood vessel in his eye resulting from a negative reaction following offseason surgery for a torn rotator cuff he suffered in the second week of the season.

"I'm wearing shades because I busted a blood vessel while I was throwing up (because) of the anesthesia during surgery. It was pretty bad," Ward said. "Any time you go under the knife, it's a big deal.

"Shoulder injuries are the worst. I had my knee 'scoped a couple of times; I can get over that. I thought the shoulder wouldn't be as bad. They put a couple of screws in it to make sure it heals properly. I'm supposed to be in a sling, but it doesn't look cool to be on the red carpet in a sling."

Ward attributed his emotional response immediately following the Super Bowl win to playing in the game despite a painful knee injury.

"A lot of people were concerned about the knee. I had a six-week injury but played in two weeks," he said. "That's why I was very emotional about the game because I put so much into it."

If you replace "Hines Ward" with "Tom Brady" or "Peyton Manning" in this story, they are running a weekend-long special on NFLN on the toughness of the players. :roll:

Mister Pittsburgh
02-24-2009, 09:20 AM

If you replace "Hines Ward" with "Tom Brady" or "Peyton Manning" in this story, they are running a weekend-long special on NFLN on the toughness of the players. :roll:

Sadly, you could say the same thing with replacing the name "Hines Ward" with "Terrel Owens", "Randy Moss", or "Plaxico Burress".