PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Steelers Draft Grade

Lebsteel
02-23-2009, 11:52 PM
I stumbled upon this evaluation of the Steelers 2007 draft class while doing a Google search. It's kind of funny, looking back two years later, but I do admit that I felt the same way about Timmons and Woodley, I AM GLAD I WAS WRONG:

Pittsburgh Steelers - D
15. Lawrence Timmons, OLB Florida State
46. LaMarr Woodley, DE Michigan
77. Matt Spaeth, TE Minnesota
112. Daniel Sepulveda, P Baylor
132. Ryan McBean, DT Oklahoma State
156. Cameron Stephenson, OG Rutgers
170. William Gay, CB Louisville
227. Dallas Baker, WR Florida

I know what Pittsburgh was trying to do here, but I just don't like the players they selected. Since the Combine, I've been questioning why exactly Timmons is considered a first round pick, and for him to go in the top-15 is a monster reach in my opinion. He had one good (good, not great) year at Florida State, where he was one of the leaders on an underachieving defense. His draft stock was high entering the off-season because of his athletic ability, but he couldn't break 4.60 in the 40 and looked sluggish in other drills. Now the Steelers are spending the 15th pick in the draft on him and expecting him to be the next Joey Porter? Please. He doesn't have the power, size, or explosiveness to play effectively outside in a 3-4, either. When you consider that the team's second rounder LaMarr Woodley is a pure pass rusher at defensive end who also doesn't project to a 3-4 outside linebacker, you've got to figure Pittsburgh's going to be running a 4-3 in 2007. But Woodley is going to have trouble transitioning to the pro level, and he reminds me of Elvis Dumervil last year if he had played for a Big-10 school. I see Woodley as a similar player: a situational pass rusher who can get you 7 or 8 sacks a season, but who doesn't have the size or desire to stand up against the run. Guys like that are not hard to find, and there were players available in round two who would have helped the team more. Ironically, my favorite selection the Steelers made was punter Daniel Sepulveda, who should really help their special teams. But the main issue here is that it looks like Pittsburgh is planning to re-invent its defense; and if it's planning to do so around Timmons and Woodley, then I question this team's future.

http://www.draftclass.com/articles/index.php?id=27

Oviedo
02-24-2009, 08:44 AM
The first post-Cowher draft is IMO a B+. Future stars in Timmons and Woodley with solid contributors in Spaeth, Gay and Sepulveda. Add that you got Stapleton and Russell as UDFAs and this year was a good addition into the the mix.

papillon
02-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Woodley, Timmons and Sepulveda will be in the lineup for many years. Stapleton will probably continue to be in the starting lineup moving forward. Gay appears to be the starting corner beginning next year. Not sure about Russell and Spaeth, Mcbean is gone, Stephenson didn't pan out and Baker will probably get another chance this year.

I'd give it an A when you add 3 starters, 2 probable starters and win the Super Bowl you really can't do much better than that.

Pappy

Lebsteel
02-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Yes, all very true. I thought it was very funny to read this guys comments on our draft and give it a D.

RKSteel
02-24-2009, 10:47 AM
When you consider that the team's second rounder LaMarr Woodley is a pure pass rusher at defensive end who also doesn't project to a 3-4 outside linebacker, you've got to figure Pittsburgh's going to be running a 4-3 in 2007. But Woodley is going to have trouble transitioning to the pro level, and he reminds me of Elvis Dumervil last year if he had played for a Big-10 school. I see Woodley as a similar player: a situational pass rusher who can get you 7 or 8 sacks a season, but who doesn't have the size or desire to stand up against the run.
Highlighted some of this genius' astute observations. Glad he is not a scout for the Steelers. :loser

aggiebones
02-24-2009, 11:56 AM
That's kind of funny to read.

But I'd say its close to an 'A.'
I wonder how many did better in that draft/ rookie FA signing period.

I mean Woodley could have been an All-Pro/Pro bowler. In time he 'could' be an MVP candidate. Timmons could move towards an Pro Bowl type player down the line. Sepulveda is going to get better as he fine tunes his game. Plus several other starters and contributers here. That grader could not have been more wrong frankly.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-24-2009, 05:44 PM
While I questioned Timmons, I graded the rest of it very highly... I think I called it a B (or B+) at the time of the draft.