PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Remember Carlton Haselrig?....

NKySteeler
02-23-2009, 08:12 PM
February 23, 2009
Haselrig has bout canceled
BY MIKE MASTOVICH
The Tribune-Democrat

Carlton Haselrig was in Cleveland last weekend preparing for his scheduled North American Allied Fight Series heavyweight bout against Joe McCall in “Caged Fury 6.”

Haselrig, 43, had hoped the mixed martial arts fight against former NAAFS pro heavyweight champion McCall would lead to a shot at the series title.

Instead, he’ll continue playing the waiting game after his fight was cancelled on Saturday night.

“I was at the weigh-in on Friday night,”?Haselrig said. “That’s when I learned that my opponent wasn’t going to be at the weigh-ins. I’m still not entirely sure what happened. I just know that my opponent was unable to go. I’m not sure why. I’ve never really got to the bottom of what happened. They just told me the fight was off.”

Haselrig is 2-1 since joining the mixed martial arts circuit.

His background as a six-time NCAA?heavyweight wrestling champion at Pitt-Johnstown and an ex-All-Pro lineman with the Pittsburgh Steelers make Haselrig a high-profile fighter even though he only recently took up the sport.

“We think (Haselrig) potentially could be one of the best heavyweights in the region,” NAAFS President Greg Kalikas had said prior to the “Caged Fury 6” event at the Gray’s Armory in downtown Cleveland.

Attempts to reach McCall, a nine-year veteran in MMA, were unsuccessful on Sunday.

The 6-foot-3, 261-pound McCall is a native of New Cumberstown, Ohio. He has a 6-1 record.

Haselrig hasn’t fought since his July 12 loss to Joe Abouata via submission in the second round. The 6-2, 265-pound Johnstown native didn’t waste time fretting over Saturday’s cancellation.

“That’s the nature of this business, I guess,”?Haselrig said. “I’ll just keep working out.?I’ve got a good (training) base for the next bout. I’m able to take another fight right away if another one comes around.”

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Wasn't somebody on the Trib board representing Haselrig in these bouts for a while (or training or promoting or something)? I'm trying to remember who...Ezekiel, perhaps? :?

MeetJoeGreene
02-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Wasn't somebody on the Trib board representing Haselrig in these bouts for a while (or training or promoting or something)? I'm trying to remember who...Ezekiel, perhaps? :?
I thought it was Ezekiel....

NKySteeler
02-23-2009, 10:36 PM
...Yes it was.... You guys are correct.

Discipline of Steel
02-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Isnt Haselrig one of the guy responsible for our SB ***s? :D

johnstownsteel
02-24-2009, 07:20 PM
carlton haslerig...there's a name i haven't heard in awhile. last i heard...he was delivering pizzas in downtown johnstown. go figure...