PDA

View Full Version : OT Starks thinking long term with Steelers

fordfixer
02-23-2009, 01:30 AM
OT Starks thinking long term with Steelers

By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, February 23, 2009

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 12987.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_612987.html)

The Steelers have won a Super Bowl title with Max Starks starting at right tackle and at left tackle.

Starks said he prefers playing the latter position, and he got a strong indication this past week that the Steelers feel the same way.

The Steelers placed the franchise tag on Starks, guaranteeing him $8.451 million next season, and they are working toward signing the 6-foot-8, 344-pounder to a long-term deal.

Starks has yet to talk to coach Mike Tomlin about where he will play next season. But when asked if he is a left tackle after starting the Steelers' final 14 games there last season, Starks said, "I would like to think so. I imagine that will probably be discussed in our meetings."

The Steelers offensive line could look significantly different by the time Tomlin meets with his players.

Starting left guard Chris Kemoeatu and left tackle Marvel Smith become unrestricted free agents Friday unless they re-sign with the Steelers before then.

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert has said the Steelers have not ruled out re-signing any of their free agents.

Smith, however, has been plagued by back problems, and Starks' situation may make him even more expendable.

Kemoeatu, meanwhile, may want to see what offers he gets on the open market since he could be the most coveted guard in this year's free-agent class.

The Steelers are expected to meet with his agent early this week.

Starks signed the one-year tender offer the Steelers made to him last week. But his intention is still to work out a multi-year contract with the Steelers that will keep him in Pittsburgh beyond the 2009 season.

"You always want to go with the team that gave you your first opportunity," the 27-year-old Starks. "This is a great city, and I definitely want to continue my career here."

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Tomlin didn't have year-end meetings with his players yet? Didn't Cowher used to do that the day after a season ended? I know that is not possible after a Super Bowl win with the celebration and parade and all, but it's been 3 weeks now. Shouldn't these one-on-one end-of-season chats have happened by now?

Northern_Blitz
02-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Tomlin didn't have year-end meetings with his players yet? Didn't Cowher used to do that the day after a season ended? I know that is not possible after a Super Bowl win with the celebration and parade and all, but it's been 3 weeks now. Shouldn't these one-on-one end-of-season chats have happened by now?

Maybe he doesn't want to wast his time with all the guys that seem to be leaving (Lefty, BMac, Washington, Kemo, Marvel, etc.).

Man, we might get to hook up a bunch of comps next year. This is the good thing about signing reasonable contracts, where you actually let them expire instead of having to cut guys because they make too much.

Oviedo
02-23-2009, 05:27 PM

Maybe he doesn't want to wast his time with all the guys that seem to be leaving (Lefty, BMac, Washington, Kemo, Marvel, etc.).

Man, we might get to hook up a bunch of comps next year. This is the good thing about signing reasonable contracts, where you actually let them expire instead of having to cut guys because they make too much.

I think getting the comp picks may be a bigger benefit to the team than the players you have listed actually playing. I don't think we will get any taken away because I do not see us signing any FAs this spring and focusing on keeping our own stars.

Steelhere10
02-23-2009, 06:29 PM
Tomlin didn't have year-end meetings with his players yet? Didn't Cowher used to do that the day after a season ended? I know that is not possible after a Super Bowl win with the celebration and parade and all, but it's been 3 weeks now. Shouldn't these one-on-one end-of-season chats have happened by now?maybe the staff go over the games of players, and then let them know where they stand.