PDA

View Full Version : Visits

calmkiller
02-22-2009, 08:36 PM
I was trying to back track to last year and see who the 30 players were that we invited in for interviews before the draft. I believe we had a thread that listed all 30 of them but I can't find it. Anyone have that list for me to use?

RuthlessBurgher
02-22-2009, 08:48 PM
I was trying to back track to last year and see who the 30 players were that we invited in for interviews before the draft. I believe we had a thread that listed all 30 of them but I can't find it. Anyone have that list for me to use?

Since most of us made the move over here about a month after the draft last year, I think that official pre-draft visit list you speak of died with the Trib's demise.

calmkiller
02-22-2009, 09:31 PM
That is what I was afraid of. failure.

WoodleyofTroy
02-23-2009, 12:57 AM
I can tell you they weren't Rashard Mendenhall, Limas Sweed, and Bruce Davis.

I do remember the following though:

1st round:
-Jerod Mayo LB
-Brandon Albert OL
-Jonathan Stewart RB
-Jeff Otah OT
-Gosder Cherilus OT
-Aqib Talib CB
-Chris Johnson RB

The rest:
-Malcolm Kelly WR
-Quentin Groves DE
-Shawn Crable LB
-Cliff Avril LB
-Mike Pollak C
-Tracy Porter CB
-Charles Godfrey CB
-Dre Moore DE
-Kendall Langford DE
-Keilen Dykes DE
-Red Bryant DT
-Jeremy Zuttah OL
-Orlando Scandrick CB
-Mario Urrutia WR
-Ryan Torain RB
-Jehuu Caulcrick RB
-Mike McGlynn OL
-Darrell Strong TE
-Brandon McAnderson FB

That's 26, I'm missing 4. Can't remember if we brought these last 4 in or not.

James Hardy WR
Philip Merling DE
Kentwan Balmer DT
Mike Jenkins CB

Maybe Antoine Cason CB, or Justin King CB, too. I know there was a run on Cornerbacks.

ANPSTEEL
02-23-2009, 08:45 AM
i'm pretty sure Denis Dixon was the only guy that visited, and was drafted.

In fact, I think the entire visitation process is just a smoke screen at this point.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-23-2009, 11:22 AM
i'm pretty sure Denis Dixon was the only guy that visited, and was drafted.

In fact, I think the entire visitation process is just a smoke screen at this point.

I don't think it is a smokescreen, but I do think that it serves as a method of eliminating potential picks as well as raising their stock.

Remember, our draft last year was thrown way off by the fact that two players who we would never have guessed we had a shot at dropped to us. Carolina threw us a curve by taking Stewart (who visited us) instead of Mendenhall who was one of several projected to go there. So, any visits from players who were top 2-3 round prospects were gone quickly.

In the third we chose Davis over Avril. I doubt that Avril's visit was a smokescreen, but we went with Davis either because we didn't expect to have a shot at him or Avril blew the visit. I'm sure they had interest in him when they invited him.