PDA

View Full Version : Steelers impressed by WR speed (live video link included.)

steelernation77
02-22-2009, 01:11 PM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/live/app

Just heard on NFL Network that Steelers scouts have been very impressed with the speed of the WR group. 5 guys ran sub 4.4s, 2 sub 4.3s. Colbert said it was the fastest group he's seen.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a WR in round 4 or later.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-22-2009, 01:17 PM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/live/app

Just heard on NFL Network that Steelers scouts have been very impressed with the speed of the WR group. 5 guys ran sub 4.4s, 2 sub 4.3s. Colbert said it was the fastest group he's seen.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a WR in round 4 or later.

Would be cool to get Pat White if they felt he wasn't too frail to be a PR/KR in the NFL. Didn't he have some injury issues at WVU?

WoodleyofTroy
02-22-2009, 01:22 PM
I saw that too. But it's still pretty much meaningless in using 40 times to finding that next good football player. Perfect example of that is Pat White running a 4.5. Not very impressive, but could anyone catch this guy on gameday?

steelernation77
02-22-2009, 01:47 PM
I saw that too. But it's still pretty much meaningless in using 40 times to finding that next good football player. Perfect example of that is Pat White running a 4.5. Not very impressive, but could anyone catch this guy on gameday?

Not completely useless for WRs. There's a reason WRs running in the 4.3s go so much higher. You have to respect that kind of speed. We could use another guy who's got 4.3 type speed in the WRs, especially as a KR/PR.

I wouldn't mind a guy like Deon Butler if he's available in the fourth as a returner and developing as a future 3rd WR.

steelernation77
02-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Derrick Williams seems to not have been totally prepared. Ran in the 4.5s and 4.6s. I've seen him play, he's definitely faster than that.

If he drops he could definitely be a guy to keep an eye on.

Jooser
02-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Pat never had any serious issues injury wise at WVU. He had some nagging injuries like his thumb, but nothing too serious. He's pretty tough IMO, but I don't think he's a PR/KR type. He's more of a (gulp) 'slash' type player who could bring a lot to the offense as far as his ability to pass/run/catch. I'd love to pick him up later in the draft. I think Miami may gobble him up since they have adopted their wildcat offense.

Lebsteel
02-22-2009, 02:18 PM

Not completely useless for WRs. There's a reason WRs running in the 4.3s go so much higher. You have to respect that kind of speed. We could use another guy who's got 4.3 type speed in the WRs, especially as a KR/PR.

I wouldn't mind a guy like Deon Butler if he's available in the fourth as a returner and developing as a future 3rd WR.

That is exactly what I have been thinking. Butler in the 4th would be good value. I'm not sure he would do much as a return man, but he is a great possesion type of WR. If we don't get him, Norwood in the later rounds might be worth a try. I think he really hurt his chances by running a 4.57. At his size, he has got to be faster than that. He does have great hands and could still be a very good WR.

steelernation77
02-22-2009, 02:27 PM

That is exactly what I have been thinking. Butler in the 4th would be good value. I'm not sure he would do much as a return man, but he is a great possesion type of WR. If we don't get him, Norwood in the later rounds might be worth a try. I think he really hurt his chances by running a 4.57. At his size, he has got to be faster than that. He does have great hands and could still be a very good WR.

He ran a 4.26 at the combine, so I think they could atleast give him a shot as a returner.

Mike Thomas from Arizona is a guy to keep an eye on as well.
He's built like a running back at around 5-8 200. Ran a 4.31 40. Very productive in college.
83 Rec 1,038 yards 11 Tds as a junior
74 Rec 825 yards 4 Tds as a senior.
Also a good returner.

Mike Wallace from Ole Miss is also a guy that intrigues me.