PDA

View Full Version : With Bart Scott and Ray Lewis probably leaving Baltimore

toddjammin
02-22-2009, 11:23 AM
How good do you think the Ravens D will be next year? Will the Steelers finally be able to run on Baltimore?

Discipline of Steel
02-22-2009, 11:26 AM
What makes you so sure they are out the door?

WoodleyofTroy
02-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Not sure if you'll see a loss of production if Ray Lewis leaves at that position, but losing his leadership might have a trickle effect all around the Defense. I mean, rookies come in and afraid to do anything that goes against what he says. There was never any locker room problems, and he made sure they came in and gave it their all. If they lose this factor, yes sure they might not be the same.

As for Bart Scott, just like in Pittsburgh, guys like this are replaceable. Ravens have a good front office. It's like when people around the league were picking against the Steelers to win the division because they lost Joey Porter.

RuthlessBurgher
02-22-2009, 01:08 PM
What makes you so sure they are out the door?

Rex Ryan is with the Jets and George Kokinas is with the Browns. Both could try to raid the Ravens' D, since they are intimately familiar with those players.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2009/02/ravens-wary-of-being-raided-by.html

Ravens wary of being raided by Jets
February 21, 2009
Another day at the scouting combine in Indy. Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome was at the podium today, and naturally he was asked about the impending free agency of linebackers Ray Lewis and Bart Scott. As I've written in recent days, the Jets are interested in both players. He also discussed the prospect of being raided by the Jets in free agency, now that former Ravens D.C Rex Ryan is coaching the Jets.

The highlights from Newsome:

He said he's in "active negotiations" with Lewis, Scott, LB Terrell Suggs (franchise tag) and C Jason Brown. Newsome said he doesn't expect to re-sign S Jim Leonhard, who, barring something weird, probably will sign with the Jets. The Jets love him as a complement to Kerry Rhodes. They also love his punt- and kick-returning ability.

Newsome sounded like he was making a recruiting pitch to Lewis, who appears poised to hit the open market for the first time.

"He realizes where our football team is right now in that we have Joe (Flacco) and we can continue to contend in our division," said Newsome, perhaps mentioning his young franchise QB because he knows the Jets don't have one. "We can try to get Ray to another Super Bowl. Those things are in place ... The other thing Ray can appreciate is the line we have in front of him, which allows him to make plays."

But Newsome added that "economics always play a big part in it." I've said this before: I think the Jets would be nuts to sign Lewis, who will be 34 by the start of the '09 season. Scott would be a much better option. They also like a couple of the young ILBs on their roster, namely Jason Trusnik and Kenwin Cummings.

Newsome said he's braced for the possibility of losing players to the Jets and Browns, whose new GM, George Kokinos, is a former Ravens personnel director.

"We're aware of that," he said. "They have a vast knowledge of our players."

Oviedo
02-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Newsome needs to look at Cleveland and before he annoits his "young franchise QB" he should take look at Derek Anderson once the league got some tape on him and disected his tendencies.

How many games did Flacco "win" last year? All he was asked to do was not to lose games. Maybe he develops but next year I can see Mr. Flacco taking a step backwards.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Ray Lewis will go to the Jets I think.

Oviedo
02-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Not sure if you'll see a loss of production if Ray Lewis leaves at that position, but losing his leadership might have a trickle effect all around the Defense. I mean, rookies come in and afraid to do anything that goes against what he says. There was never any locker room problems, and he made sure they came in and gave it their all. If they lose this factor, yes sure they might not be the same.

As for Bart Scott, just like in Pittsburgh, guys like this are replaceable. Ravens have a good front office. It's like when people around the league were picking against the Steelers to win the division because they lost Joey Porter.

The only loss of production with Ray Ray gone is one fewer person to dive on the pile to pad his stats. He was a great player but he does alot of 2d and 3rd guy into the play and gets stats credit for it.

Discipline of Steel
02-22-2009, 02:19 PM
All I can say is thank goodness RayRay and his stupid dance will not be coming to Pittsburgh. I hope he moves as far out of my line of sight as possible.

DukieBoy
02-22-2009, 02:30 PM
All I can say is thank goodness RayRay and his stupid dance will not be coming to Pittsburgh. I hope he moves as far out of my line of sight as possible.

Certainly yes, though that seems less so much of a dance and more of a spasmodic embarrassment.

fordfixer
02-22-2009, 05:23 PM
DeMarcus Ware Says Ray Lewis Wants To Come to Dallas

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/02/21/dema ... to-dallas/ (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/02/21/demarcus-ware-says-ray-lewis-wants-to-come-to-dallas/)

Posted Feb 21st 2009 7:40 PM by Ryan Wilson (author feed)
Filed Under: Cowboys, Ravens, NFC East
On Friday, the scuttlebutt was that the Jets might be clearing roster space for a run at Ray Lewis. It makes sense; new head coach Rex Ryan was the defensive coordinator in Baltimore and much of their success was due to Lewis' presence.

But New York won't be the only team vying for Ray-Ray's services should he hit free agency in six days. In addition to the Ravens -- who have said they'll match any offer Lewis receives -- word on the street is that the Cowboys are also interested.

Owner Jerry Jones has been noncommittal about free agency in general, but Cowboy-for-now Terrell Owens lobbied for Lewis earlier this month. And even though Ray said he'll leave his professional fate in the Lord's capable hands, Dallas linebacker DeMarcus Ware hears otherwise.

"When we played Ray Lewis and Baltimore at the end of the season," Ware told the the Cowboys website, "He came over and pointed to my helmet. He said, 'I want to wear this star on my helmet, that's my dream . . . that's my dream.' When we got to the Pro Bowl, he did it again. He came at me every day. It's a great opportunity for him. His door is open. He's an unrestricted free agent. He's trying to get down where the star is. He told me he needed me to get him Jerry Jones' phone number for him. I just busted out laughing.

Lewis would certainly upgrade the Cowboys' middle linebacker position, but he'll be 34 when the season starts. And more than his on-field presence, Jerry Jones would presumably sign him for his leadership skills.

Except, as SI.com's Ross Tucker points out, "Leadership isn't for sale ... There is a process to becoming a franchise leader. Lewis has perfected that process in Baltimore, but that doesn't mean his show will play elsewhere."

But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves; we've still got a week till free agency.

RuthlessBurgher
02-22-2009, 07:05 PM
the Ravens -- who have said they'll match any offer Lewis receives

I love the sound of this. I hope the Jets and Cowboys and whoever else (does Al Davis have another insane contract offer in him? Dan Snyder? Anyone else?) bid each other up and offer this washed-up old man the world...and the Ravens match it. He is nowhere close to the player he one was (I have seen Willie Parker break Ray Lewis arm tackles on more than one occassion over the past couple of years), so I hope that Baltimore signs him to a long-term cap-crippling type of deal.

:ratsuck

WoodleyofTroy
02-23-2009, 12:22 AM
Lewis isn't going anywhere. All these comments about the Jets and Demarcus Ware were his way of getting the Ravens to offer as much as possible. At the end of the day, he'll accept what Baltimore gives him even if it's less than the other teams.

Chadman
02-23-2009, 12:27 AM
Nobody has mentioned them as an option, but wouldn't signing Ray Lewis be a very "Patriotic" style of signing?

WoodleyofTroy
02-23-2009, 01:06 AM
Nobody has mentioned them as an option, but wouldn't signing Ray Lewis be a very "Patriotic" style of signing?

Yeah I suppose since they couldn't get James Farrior. :)

They might be waiting it out for Larry Foote though.

AngryAsian
02-23-2009, 06:08 AM

Yeah I suppose since they couldn't get James Farrior. :)

They might be waiting it out for Larry Foote though.

I guess the Pats just want to continue their tradition of a geriatric defense. I can't wait until this team starts to implode. I don't care if Brady is coming back. This team will contend, but will not be in the Super Bowl next year, as some have speculated. As for Ray Ray, let him create all the hooplah he wants around his FA status. I feel bad for whatever team gets him. He's washed up.