PDA

View Full Version : Numbered days for Steelers' Washington

fordfixer
02-22-2009, 03:29 AM
Numbered days for Steelers' Washington

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, February 22, 2009

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 12919.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_612919.html)

What Nate Washington wants isn't important right now.

It's only natural that Washington wants to remain with the Steelers, the team that nurtured him as an undrafted free agent from Division II Tiffin.

Washington has won two Super Bowls in his four seasons with the Steelers. He's close enough to his hometown of Toledo, Ohio, to schedule visits there during the season.

It's a good life.

A good life that should become even better with the beginning of unrestricted free agency Friday. With that in mind, Washington is preparing for life after the Steelers.

"Nate had a great run in Pittsburgh. If his final game has been played there, so be it,'' said Thomas Tafelski, who represents Washington.

Tafelski is resigned to the fact that Washington, considered one of the top free agent receivers, will be moving on.

"None," Tafelski said when asked about the status of Washington's negotiations with the Steelers.

"I would have thought they would have reached out. We spoke briefly at the Super Bowl."

If the Steelers don't sign Washington before Friday, he won't be back.

If Washington is smart, he won't look back. Why should he? He's a marketable commodity in a year when the talent pool for free-agent receivers is shallow, and teams such as Tennessee are looking for playmakers with the ability to go deep.

Ironically, the very thing that worked in Washington's favor during his tenure with the Steelers cheap labor will work against him entering free agency.

Washington wasn't drafted, so he didn't cost as much to develop. Among the players ahead of him on the depth chart, veteran Hines Ward is on the books for $5.8 million next season. The Steelers also made a significant investment in Limas Sweed, last year's second-round draft pick.

Washington produced his best pro season in 2008 with career highs in receptions (40) and yards (631). His 15.8-yard average led the team.

Twenty-six of Washington's catches resulted in first downs. Nine of those receptions were on third down.

"Nate's going to appeal to teams looking for vertical speed and big-play ability. There's not that many guys like that out there," said former NFL team executive Michael Lombardi of NationalFootballPost.com

"It's economics and timing. It's going to be who wants him and who's willing to compete for him." Lombardi said. "Nate's talent matches what Tennessee is looking for. They're looking for a guy on the outside who can make big plays. He's got the speed to create problems."

And the ability to get paid with or without the Steelers.

Djfan
02-22-2009, 03:34 AM
Buh bye!

mshifko
02-22-2009, 03:50 AM
he's a capable 3rd receiver for us, but i don't think i'll necessarily cry if he leaves...i would like for him to stay, but if our front office wants to go another route i guess i'll have to trust them

flippy
02-22-2009, 08:01 AM
We're gonna collectively feel bad about Nate when he puts up huge numbers somewhere else.

Uncle Rico
02-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Limas Sweed will be more than capable of filling Nate's big shoes as the Steelers token pass dropper.

MeetJoeGreene
02-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Nate is not a number 1 or 2 receiver.

He is a great 3 or 4.

Teams that pay him and use him as a 1 or 2 will be sorry.

NorthCoast
02-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Actually, those numbers are pretty decent for a No. 3 receiver. Nate's biggest problem is holding on to the ball when coverage is close. His biggest threat is straightline speed which we can likely find elsewhere. He wants No.2 pay but he really is not worth that. Big worry; NE signs him as another deep threat. That would be disappointing.

steelcityrules!!
02-22-2009, 09:34 AM
ahhh nate, gotta admit I loved cheering for the guy who scrapped his way up from nothing to play and make an impact. He's not elite of course, but the one thing that kinda stinks is he was starting to come into his own here and really found his niche. I bet he's successful in another system, some WR's take a few years to really mature and click, he seemed to have done that the last year and a half.

another FA gem that we groom to be a starter elsewhere.

:x

Oviedo
02-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Nate is not a number 1 or 2 receiver.

He is a great 3 or 4.

Teams that pay him and use him as a 1 or 2 will be sorry.

That is the point. Randle El was effective a #3 who got paid top dollars and has been no way worth the investment for the 'skins. The same thing will happen to Washington. When everyone quotes Nate's numbers they forget that he is typically the 3rd priority for coverage by the opposing defense. Both Ward and Holmes receive typically the double coverage or the best pass defender.

Nate has benefited from not being the focus of attention and if anyone thinks he is going to be a #1 or #2 then they had better watch some film about how he fights for balls in traffic or beats double coverage.

DukieBoy
02-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Nate has been a good Steelers story, from Tiffin through free agency to grow into a significant contributor #3 receiver and 2 Super Bowls. I'd like it if he would stay, and I'll be sorry to see him go.

Post-eulogy, obviously it is Sweed's time to step up.

Jooser
02-22-2009, 11:05 AM
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/moneysmiley.gif Right on with the Randle El comparison. He'll end up a disappointment elsewhere.

Discipline of Steel
02-22-2009, 11:25 AM
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/moneysmiley.gif Right on with the Randle El comparison. He'll end up a disappointment elsewhere.

I hope he does end up in Tennessee like the article says. He would do well as a disappointment there!

Djfan
02-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Al Davis will drool over his speed and over pay for him, then fire him after two seasons.

Discipline of Steel
02-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Al Davis will drool over his speed and over pay for him, then fire him after two seasons.

Even if Davis doesnt take a look at him, he will still drool.

Chachi
02-22-2009, 12:47 PM
randle el 2:electric boogaloo

feltdizz
02-22-2009, 02:30 PM
ahhh nate, gotta admit I loved cheering for the guy who scrapped his way up from nothing to play and make an impact. He's not elite of course, but the one thing that kinda stinks is he was starting to come into his own here and really found his niche. I bet he's successful in another system, some WR's take a few years to really mature and click, he seemed to have done that the last year and a half.

he will be missed. Those numbers are really good for a number 3 and we have no idea if Nate will be a decent #2 or not...

I think Sweed is another Nate Washington. Great speed and separation but will he catch the damn ball, time will tell but one thing I know...

Sweed is already a house hold name, I screamed SWEEED so loud after his drop in the Baltimore game... then did a SWEEE E E EEED!! after his crushing block and first down catch.

The #3 WR love/hate rollercoaster ride doesn't stop.

DukieBoy
02-22-2009, 02:32 PM

he will be missed. Those numbers are really good for a number 3 and we have no idea if Nate will be a decent #2 or not...

I think Sweed is another Nate Washington. Great speed and separation but will he catch the damn ball, time will tell but one thing I know...

Sweed is already a house hold name, I screamed SWEEED so loud after his drop in the Baltimore game... then did a SWEEE E E EEED!! after his crushing block and first down catch.

The #3 WR love/hate rollercoaster ride doesn't stop.

I'm thinking Sweed will prove to be much better than Nate, but he'll have to prove it on the field of course.

steelz09
02-22-2009, 03:10 PM
I think Sweed has the potential to be a #1 . The key word is potential. :)

Washington is a #3 ... maybe and a BIG maybe #2 for a team that has not depth.

I like Washington, and he had a very good year for us but he should give the Steelers organization a bit of credit considering they took a pretty big gamble on him from Tiffin and gave him several opportunities to succeed when probably many other teams would have cut his a$$. :)

Once thing that always bothered me about Nate (aside from the drops) was that he had the speed, and has the leaping ability but NEVER did he go up and grab the ball from the defender. He waits for the ball to get to him which always allowed the defender to make the play.

NorthCoast
02-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Even if Davis doesnt take a look at him, he will still drool.

While I chuckled over this one, it reminded me of a rather sad business meeting I had a while back. A company was promoting a new technology at our place and had brought in a retired (actually a WELL-retired) professor from the local university as a consultant. The poor guy was probably about 80 yrs old as I had had him as an instructor in my graduate days about 15 yrs ago. Anyway, as the meeting droned on in a dimmed room for slide presentation, I glanced over toward the professor. He had nodded off with a fairly steady stream of drool flowing from his lower lip. Actually made me feel quite bad for the poor guy and why this company felt his presence was needed in such a case.

Iron Shiek
02-22-2009, 07:17 PM

Everytime I think of Nate leaving...I can only see him in a Raider uniform. All I think of is Crazy Al unloading a few dumptrucks of money for Washington.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Sweed seems like he has all the potential in the world to be a good WR. All the highlight videos of him at Texas showed him going up and taking the ball away from smaller CB. Nate always seems to wait for the ball to come to him. Lets hope Sweed can turn it around and get it going this coming season. I have no idea what his problem was this past season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8UQ2cZuHxw

feltdizz
02-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Sweed seems like he has all the potential in the world to be a good WR. All the highlight videos of him at Texas showed him going up and taking the ball away from smaller CB. Nate always seems to wait for the ball to come to him. Lets hope Sweed can turn it around and get it going this coming season. I have no idea what his problem was this past season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8UQ2cZuHxw

I won't watch it... It's like watching Mendenhall film at Illinois..
it does nothing to erase what I have seen of them in the pro's.
I'm sure Nate had film of him snatching passes out the sky at Tiffin too...

Sweed is a work in progress.. so was Hines, Plax and Nate... I just hope the fans aren't impatient like most were with Nate and Plax(on the field, not his off field attitude, he was an azzz)

Sure Sweed should be a highlight reel next year... but he has to catch the ball.

ikestops85
02-23-2009, 12:46 PM
If we lose Nate to free agency we might be able to sign ARE. The word circulating in the DC area is ARE hasn't performed up to expectations and might be a salary cap casualty. I'd love to have him back on our roster as a #3. Especially if he would come on the cheap.

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2009, 01:21 PM
If we lose Nate to free agency we might be able to sign ARE. The word circulating in the DC area is ARE hasn't performed up to expectations and might be a salary cap casualty. I'd love to have him back on our roster as a #3. Especially if he would come on the cheap.

Randle El signed an extension that saves the team salary cap room this season about a week-and-a-half ago. His base salary for this season was reduced from $4 million to $1.5 million. His deal was set to expire in 2012, but has been extended to 2015.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/12/AR2009021203759.html

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2009/02/the_full_carter_and_randle_el.html

ikestops85
02-23-2009, 01:45 PM

Randle El signed an extension that saves the team salary cap room this season about a week-and-a-half ago. His base salary for this season was reduced from $4 million to $1.5 million. His deal was set to expire in 2012, but has been extended to 2015.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/12/AR2009021203759.html

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2009/02/the_full_carter_and_randle_el.html

Well, in the words of SNL's Emily Litella ... "Never Mind". :)

Ghost
02-23-2009, 02:14 PM
He's easily replaceable. NO need to over pay. The funny thing is - if he'd come from a big, Div 1 school all the talk would be about what a disappointment he was. But since it's a cinderella story he's gets much more of a free pass then other players from bigger schools.

Iron Shiek
02-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Well of course Ghost...these guys are judged by their potential. If we never were privy to anything these players ever accomplished and they were judged solely by their NFL performance, some guys would be seen in a different light...Nate being at the forefront of that I think. He's not anything amazing to me. But he's useful.

feltdizz
02-23-2009, 03:56 PM
He's easily replaceable. NO need to over pay. The funny thing is - if he'd come from a big, Div 1 school all the talk would be about what a disappointment he was. But since it's a cinderella story he's gets much more of a free pass then other players from bigger schools.

If Sweed has the same numbers as Nate this year he will be seen as a success.

You are onto something Ghost but I think you have it backwards...
Major Div 1 school talent gets the free pass..

Mendenhall had back to back fumbles in 2 preseason games...
Sweed had 2 wide open TD drops in 2 playoff games...
Holmes had 4 or 5 fumbles at PR his rookie season and had 10 to 20 drops this season.

yet Nate had a few drops early and never lived it down even though his numbers as a #3 WR are really good for a guy from Tiffin. However if Sweed puts up Nate numbers these next 2 years as a#3 fans will embrace his potential because of his highlights as a Longhorn...

eniparadoxgma
02-23-2009, 04:18 PM
See ya.

papillon
02-23-2009, 05:04 PM
See ya.

No, really, how do you feel about Washington? :P

Pappy

eniparadoxgma
02-23-2009, 05:11 PM
See ya.

No, really, how do you feel about Washington? :P

Pappy

lol

I said the same thing about BMac though, and I think he's a bigger loss.

It would take Troy, Ben, or Hines leaving for me to say anything different. I love our players while they're here, and unless they throw the Steelers under the bus at some point I continue to respect them and appreciate their contributions if they go elsewhere. However, my team remains the Steelers and no 3rd WR or alright CB is going to make me flinch.

So, see ya Nate. Later BMac.

We'll be stomping you and whatever crap team that overpays you in the near future. :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

Ghost
02-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Nate was anti-clutch. The last 3 seasons, prior to Sweed, there was not a single receiver on the roster I wanted the ball going to in a critical situation less than Washington. Late round draft choice replaces him.

And I don't think people will go easy on Sweed. In fact, I think he's got a long way to go for most people. Putting up Nate numbers will be a huge failure for him. It will be interesting to see what he's done this off season to start truning himself into an NFL receiver.

Oviedo
02-23-2009, 05:21 PM

I think over the past several years we have seen first hand why he was not at a Div 1 school. Great athlete but wildly inconsistent. He was probably worse in high school.

papillon
02-23-2009, 05:32 PM
I wish Sweed would have seen more playing time and then I wouldn't have as much angst about Washington leaving. I agree about his salary demands though, he's our #3 WR and if another team believes that he's worth more than that, well, he and the Steelers need to part ways.

Mcfadden, on the other hand, actually missed enough time for Gay to see the field and get PT this season and it seems as though Gay will be able to step in and play very well. Drafting a CB would then be a good idea on day one of the draft this year if Mcfadden moves on.

I'd like to keep them both, I don't see it happening and the Steelers will move on and start their effort to repeat as NFL champions.

Pappy

Lebsteel
02-23-2009, 06:30 PM
I wish Sweed would have seen more playing time and then I wouldn't have as much angst about Washington leaving. I agree about his salary demands though, he's our #3 WR and if another team believes that he's worth more than that, well, he and the Steelers need to part ways.

Mcfadden, on the other hand, actually missed enough time for Gay to see the field and get PT this season and it seems as though Gay will be able to step in and play very well. Drafting a CB would then be a good idea on day one of the draft this year if Mcfadden moves on.

I'd like to keep them both, I don't see it happening and the Steelers will move on and start their effort to repeat as NFL champions.

Pappy

If the Steelers feel Gay can do the job, then I would think we would wait until at least Rd. 3/4 to go CB.

Chadman
02-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Washington is a pretty good #3 WR. He might even be servicable as a #2 for a team with a GOOD #1 WR.

Too many on here had unrealistic expectations on Washington because they saw him playing 'fast'. He was still an undrafted guy that beat the odds making the roster- let alone seeing the field for any considerable amount of time.

He'll get overpaid for sure- not certain by how much, but someone will overpay. That's Free Agency.

Here's the thing- if he goes to say, the Cardinals, with Kurt Warner throwing & with Larry Fitzgerald recieving quadrouple team coverage, Chadman bets Nate will do quite well.

If he goes to say, the Lions, however, he'll probably struggle.

Good luck to him though- this is his chance at a good pay-day. Who would have thought the undrafted skinny guy from Tiffin would cash in on the NFL?

Steelerphile
02-23-2009, 10:22 PM
So who exactly is the best No. 3 receiver in Pittsburgh history?

Remember now in three seasons as the No. 3 Nate Washington has

104 rec 1705 yrds 16.4 yds per reception and 12 TDS

Is it Weegie Thompson? In his six year career he had:

79 recs 1377 17.4 yds per recep and 11 TDS. Don't think so

Is it Calvin Sweeney? In his 8-yr career he had:

113 rec 1775 yds 15.7 yds per receptiion and 7 Tds. Don't think so

Is it Courtney Hawkins? In 4 yrs with Pittsburgh he had:

160 rec 1829 yds 11.4 yds per reception, 5 Tds. getting warmer, but still no Nate.

Is it Ernie Mills? 4 years From 1991 to 1994, he probably served as a No. 3 or No. 2 at times

81 rec 1232 15.2 yds per receptiion, 6 TDS

What about Andre Hastings? 4 years 1993 to 1996 . He played as No. 3 but started more games than Nate has also.

143 recep 1566 yds 11.0 yds per reception 9 TDS.

These guys were pretty good but their production does not match Nate Washington in 3 years.

Bobby Shaw? 3 years from 1999 - 2001.

92 recs 1468 yds 16.0 yds per recep 9 TDS. He's one of the best but still is not as good as Nate.

Antwaan Randle-El? 4 years in Pittsburgh. 2002 to 2005.

162 yds 2012 yds 12.9 per recep and 7 Tds.

Do some think he is the best No. 3 WR in Pittsburgh history? His four year totals are higher in total receptions and yards but Nate Washinton averaged more yards per season, had a higher yd per reception and had far more TDS.

I think the evidence clearly shows that Nate Washington is the best No. 3 WR the Steelers have had in 30 seasons. The people who say he is poor don't know at all what they are saying, and anyone who thinks Limas Sweed is going to come into the Pittsburgh offense as the No. 3 receiver and get 800 to 1000 receiving yards is completely delusional. Is he come CLOSE to what Nate Washington has done, he will do WELL.

mshifko
02-23-2009, 10:24 PM
sweed is going to be huge next season for us...he got his lumps out of the way, he's going to elevate his status in his second season, write that one down...limas sweed will be instrumental to our team next season

Lebsteel
02-23-2009, 10:40 PM
sweed is going to be huge next season for us...he got his lumps out of the way, he's going to elevate his status in his second season, write that one down...limas sweed will be instrumental to our team next season

OK, you were right about Timmons, so I'll take your word. Sweed will be a beast next year. I truly hope he is. But, I still think we should have gone with the mighty Poz! :stirpot :lol:

papillon
02-23-2009, 10:48 PM

Pappy

If the Steelers feel Gay can do the job, then I would think we would wait until at least Rd. 3/4 to go CB.

Well, wouldn't the 3rd round be a first day pick? Just sayin... :P

Pappy

NKySteeler
02-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Personally, I am far from convinced about Sweed... I think he was not deserving of his draft rank.... And I was saying this from day one last April, not only during the season.

... I will be happy to be proved wrong, and will say so if it happens... But I want to see it first, before I bestow any sort of level of confidence upon him... He hasn't "lived-up" to his billing so far, so I want to see it on the field.... His rookie season was his "mulligan", now it's time to step-up.

feltdizz
02-23-2009, 11:35 PM

160 rec 1829 yds 11.4 yds per reception, 5 Tds. getting warmer, but still no Nate.

Is it Ernie Mills? 4 years From 1991 to 1994, he probably served as a No. 3 or No. 2 at times

What about Andre Hastings? 4 years 1993 to 1996 . He played as No. 3 but started more games than Nate has also.

These guys were pretty good but their production does not match Nate Washington in 3 years.

92 recs 1468 yds 16.0 yds per recep 9 TDS. He's one of the best but still is not as good as Nate.

Do some think he is the best No. 3 WR in Pittsburgh history? His four year totals are higher in total receptions and yards but Nate Washinton averaged more yards per season, had a higher yd per reception and had far more TDS.

I think the evidence clearly shows that Nate Washington is the best No. 3 WR the Steelers have had in 30 seasons. The people who say he is poor don't know at all what they are saying, and anyone who thinks Limas Sweed is going to come into the Pittsburgh offense as the No. 3 receiver and get 800 to 1000 receiving yards is completely delusional. Is he come CLOSE to what Nate Washington has done, he will do WELL.

who cares about facts? Nate sucked as a #3 WR.... :wink:

I understand the FA money will be way more then he deserves as a #3 being paid to be a #2 but he put up numbers as a #3WR that make him worth the gamble...

I've seen players make more doing much less then Nate did.

Lebsteel
02-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Personally, I am far from convinced about Sweed... I think he was not deserving of his draft rank.... And I was saying this from day one last April, not only during the season.

... I will be happy to be proved wrong, and will say so if it happens... But I want to see it first, before I bestow any sort of level of confidence upon him... He hasn't "lived-up" to his billing so far, so I want to see it on the field.... His rookie season was his "mulligan", now it's time to step-up.

We all need a "mulligan" once in a while. For me it is about every round....

Personally I was very happy when we got Sweed in Rd. 2. I remember him tearing up Ohio State (sorry Buckeye fans) and he was very impressive, so I thought he would do much better last year....

Lebsteel
02-23-2009, 11:58 PM

Pappy

Well, wouldn't the 3rd round be a first day pick? Just sayin... :P

Pappy

Day One is only Rounds One and Two. Day Two is Rounds Three thru Seven....I think Day One used to be Rounds 1-3.

steelblood
02-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Weak arms, suspect hands. He rarely won the jump balls. He was effective as we used him, but he is not worth more than 2.5 mil per, and we won't even offer him that.

feltdizz
02-24-2009, 12:47 PM

I find it funny how people who hate Nate are so high on Sweed when he dropped 2 easy wide open TD's...

I want to be proven wrong as well... but what happens when he drops another pass?
AND HE WILL DROP ANOTHER PASS!

Is his Texas Longhorn highlights so good that fans are willing to ignore his drops because of what we saw in college? That seems to be what this comes down to...

If Nate had Sweeds college highlights he would be loved by all.

Oviedo
02-24-2009, 01:21 PM

Apples and Oranges comparison. Washington's stats benefited the last two seasons from a team that threw the ball more using multiple WR sets than they did when those other receivers you cite played. Plus as a number 3 with supposed great athletic ability he seemed totally incapable of playing on special teams and helping solve a glaring problem as a returner which a number of those other players did.

Good luck Nate. Someone will pay you and then be disappointed when you don't have Hines and Santonio drawing the double coverage and best defenders away from you. Buyer beware.

papillon
02-24-2009, 01:35 PM

I find it funny how people who hate Nate are so high on Sweed when he dropped 2 easy wide open TD's...

I want to be proven wrong as well... but what happens when he drops another pass?
AND HE WILL DROP ANOTHER PASS!

Is his Texas Longhorn highlights so good that fans are willing to ignore his drops because of what we saw in college? That seems to be what this comes down to...

If Nate had Sweeds college highlights he would be loved by all.

Well, the reason I'm still a fan of Sweed and will give him the benfit of the doubt for now is that he was a rookie that was seeing limited playing time this year. While Nate was in his third year and if he's still having problems then the possibility exists that they may not be correctable.

For the record, I'd like for both of these players to be Steelers next year. Starks' contract almost makes it a certainty that Nate will not be a Steeler. That's too bad, because, I believe he was coming into his own as a Steeler.

Pappy

Scarletfire1970
02-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Sweed seems to lack confidence. That is a bad thing in the NFL.

papillon
02-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Sweed seems to lack confidence. That is a bad thing in the NFL.

I don't think it was confidence that he lacked, but, focus and concentration. He seemed to get open rather easily, but, just lost focus and concentration when the ball came his way. Or, maybe, he was so focused on running the correct route that he didn't focus on the basics of being a WR and that's catching the ball.

He'll be fine and we'll be talking about the best 1-2-3 WR corps in the league next year: Holmes, Ward, Sweed. :tt2

The Kool-aid tastes great after winning the super Bowl. Try some. :D

Pappy

Iron Shiek
02-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Sorry if this news has been posted but I didn't see it anywhere...doesn't seem the Steelers even are trying to negotiate with Nate dog:

Feb 23, 2009 12:36 PM CST
Washington may not be back?
The News
Nate Washington's agent has indicated that the Steelers have not yet displayed interest in re-signing him, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
Our View
Washington has good size and speed, but the Steelers have Limas Sweed waiting in the wings to replace him as the No. 3 receiver. The club likes Dallas Baker as well.

feltdizz
02-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Sorry if this news has been posted but I didn't see it anywhere...doesn't seem the Steelers even are trying to negotiate with Nate dog:

The News
Nate Washington's agent has indicated that the Steelers have not yet displayed interest in re-signing him, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
Our View
Washington has good size and speed, but the Steelers have Limas Sweed waiting in the wings to replace him as the No. 3 receiver. The club likes Dallas Baker as well.

as a #3WR Nate was alright by me...

we pay Sweed more anyway already don't we?

RuthlessBurgher
02-24-2009, 04:48 PM

The News
Our View

Marvel's agent also mentioned that the Steelers have not contacted him at all either. I know you don't want to insult a guy with a lowball offer, but you can still let them know that you are somewhat interested in a guy if they came back for a price that was amenable to both the player and the team (since our team will be somewhat cap-strapped after the Starks franchise tag and the contract extensions of guys like Harrison and Miller). Nate sounded like a guy who recognized his role on the team and wanted to come back rather than chase big bucks elsewhere (while McFadden sounded like the opposite), but by not making any contract with Nate's agent with only a few days to go before free agency hits, I'm sure that it makes him feel unwanted and therefore more prone to leave. Just because you have certain players as your highest priorities does not mean that you should flat-out ignore the other guys...that's how bridges get burned. Just my :2c

Oviedo
02-24-2009, 05:04 PM

The News
Our View

Marvel's agent also mentioned that the Steelers have not contacted him at all either. I know you don't want to insult a guy with a lowball offer, but you can still let them know that you are somewhat interested in a guy if they came back for a price that was amenable to both the player and the team (since our team will be somewhat cap-strapped after the Starks franchise tag and the contract extensions of guys like Harrison and Miller). Nate sounded like a guy who recognized his role on the team and wanted to come back rather than chase big bucks elsewhere (while McFadden sounded like the opposite), but by not making any contract with Nate's agent with only a few days to go before free agency hits, I'm sure that it makes him feel unwanted and therefore more prone to leave. Just because you have certain players as your highest priorities does not mean that you should flat-out ignore the other guys...that's how bridges get burned. Just my :2c

It's a two-way street. Nate's agent also could go to the Steelers and say Nate is willing to take this much to stay. Same with Marvel. The player's agents want it both ways. They play the "he wants to stay" card but wait for the team to make the first offer.

If you really want to stay you tell your agent to go to the Steelers and make it happen.

feltdizz
02-24-2009, 05:59 PM
Nates agent IS saying.. hello let's talk. Maybe this is how the Steelers are able to get the hometown discount.

We have more important numbers to crunch at other positions...

it's a business..

Steelerphile
02-24-2009, 06:42 PM

Apples and Oranges comparison. Washington's stats benefited the last two seasons from a team that threw the ball more using multiple WR sets than they did when those other receivers you cite played. Plus as a number 3 with supposed great athletic ability he seemed totally incapable of playing on special teams and helping solve a glaring problem as a returner which a number of those other players did.

Good luck Nate. Someone will pay you and then be disappointed when you don't have Hines and Santonio drawing the double coverage and best defenders away from you. Buyer beware.

Not Apples and oranges at all, The Steelers had three receiver sets back in the 90s. These other receivers had good No. 1s and 2s on the team also. The Steelers still passed fewer times the last three seasons than most teams did. Your only right point is that Nate didn't contribute as a returner. Can't disagree there, but as a receiver he is superior to the other No. 3s the Steelers have had. You'll never admit that though since you're a Nate hater from the start and won't change now.