PDA

View Full Version : Bryant McFadden should hit free agency:

fordfixer
02-22-2009, 12:06 AM
Local star Bryant McFadden should hit free agency: Dolphins interested?

Omar Kelly | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
1:03 PM EST, February 19, 2009

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/foot ... 8629.story (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-mcfaddenstory09,0,2158629.story)

Winning an NFL championship just doesn't breed envy. It also fuels coveting from other NFL teams.

That's the situation the Steelers are presently facing heading into free agency, and McArthur High product Bryant McFadden could be positively impacted by his team's success. At least his wallet could.

The cornerback's services will be in demand when/if he hits the open market, and there is concern in Pittsburgh that his salary requests could put him in another jersey next season.

If a deal isn't struck by Feb. 27, McFadden will be free to field offers from the rest of the NFL, and the Dolphins could be interested in bringing this South Floridian home.

"My first option is going back to the Steelers, but I'm looking for a nice little check," said McFadden, a former Florida State standout who was selected in the second-round of the 2005 draft.

Kevin Colbert, the Steelers director of football operations said the team's still talking to their 18 free agents, which includes their top four offensive linemen, hammering out more details in the negotiations. Pittsburgh is roughly $18 million under the 2009 salary cap.

Colbert admitted Pittsburgh's top priority is re-working James Harrison's contract, ensuring that the 2008 Defensive Player of the Year finishes his career in Pittsburgh. Addressing the offensive linemen comes next.

But where does that leave McFadden, who has started 18 games over the past four seasons, averaging 34 tackles per year, and intercepting seven passes in his career?

"He is a priority, but we're not going to be able to keep this whole team together. We will continue to negotiate with all our free agents, and what comes together comes together," Colbert said.

"It only takes one team to accelerate the price. It doesn't take a great market [at the position]," Colbert said. "But if one team has a sincere interest and you're not able to match that you're probably going to lose that player."

Mick'sTeam
02-22-2009, 12:10 AM
I still don't understand what BMac has done to warrant the contract he wants and will likely get (from another team). He is definitely a solid corner, and would rather keep him, but if any team offers him money anywhere near what some of the top corners in the league are making, I'd let him go.