PDA

View Full Version : McFadden says, Show me the money!

fordfixer
02-21-2009, 09:58 PM
McFadden says, Show me the money!

February 20, 3:18 PM
by Matt Pawlikowski, Pittsburgh Sports Examiner

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsbur ... -the-money (http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m2d20-McFadden-says-Show-me-the-money)

PITTSBURGH - Now that Max Starks has been given big bucks, if only for a year, it appears that Bryant McFadden is also looking to collect a big payday.

This according to a report in the South Florida Sentinal by Omar Kelly, where McFadden says that although he wants to remain a Steeler, he also wants a nice little check out of it.

“He is a priority,” Steelers director of football operation Kevin Colbert said when asked about McFadden. “(But) we understand that we’re not going to be able to keep this team together. We will continue to negotiate with all of our free agents.”

Negotiate is one thing, but with Nnamdu Asomugha getting a two year deal for $28.5 million, and a third year option at $16.8 million it's no wonder McFadden is talking greenbacks.

Granted , Asomugha was a first rounder and a Pro Bowler and may be one of the best to play the position the past 25 years.

Still, the writing on the wall that McFadden could have seen his last days as a Steeler, may have occurred on Feb.19, when the Colts Kelvin Heyden, who also was a second round pick like McFadden, signed a five-year deal worth $43 million. It includes $22.5 million in guaranteed money and will pay Heyden approximately $29 million over the first three years.

One can bet that McFadden's agent Drew Rosenhaus will be drooling over the statistical comparisons. Rosenhaus is known for generating large contracts for his clients.

Hayden recorded 187 tackles and six interceptions in 57 career games with Indianapolis. McFadden has 116 tackles and seven interceptions in 43 career games, but Hayden has been primarily a starter, while McFadden has seen a lot of action in a reserve role.

It's no secret that the top priority of the team at this juncture is inking James Harrison to a long term deal, so McFadden will likely play the open market before negotiating with the Steelers.

Should McFadden opt for greener pastures, don't expect the Steelers to bring in a free-agent.

Instead, William Gay would slide into his spot. When McFadden broke his forearm and DeShea Townsend were injured, the 2007 fifth round pick was outstanding in relief. He had 11 passes defensed and went against three of the leagues elite at the time; Phillip Rivers, Tony Romo and Matt Cassell.

"That's the job," said Gay back in Novermber when he was subbing for McFadden. "The standard doesn't change. I had to to get in there and do my very best and keep the standard alive."

Meaning Gay, understands the Steeler philosophy and is ready to step right in just as LaMarr Woodley has

Oviedo
02-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Good bye Bmac. Take your money and run like Faneca.

Scarletfire1970
02-21-2009, 10:13 PM
I like William Gay. Wish we could keep McFadden, but he ain't worth that much at least in terms of that breaking up the team because we surely would have to lose others to keep him.

birtikidis
02-21-2009, 10:33 PM
where did it say that Mcfad says "show me the money" it looked to me like the writer wanted him to say that due to the other signings that have occurred.

AngryAsian
02-21-2009, 11:21 PM
where did it say that Mcfad says "show me the money" it looked to me like the writer wanted him to say that due to the other signings that have occurred.

birt, anybody who has DR as their agent will inevitably be screaming "show me the money." Scary thing is that both Timmons and Santonio also has DR as their agent. I hope we can work something out in Santonio's and Timmons' contracts when the time comes, but BMac is now expendible.

Bandito
02-22-2009, 04:23 AM
McFadden says, Show me the money!

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsbur ... -the-money (http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m2d20-McFadden-says-Show-me-the-money)

flippy
02-22-2009, 08:07 AM
Show me the door!

NorthCoast
02-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Another example of a supremely stupid owner trashing the salary structure of the league. A CB making more than 29 QB's in the league (guessing a little here since I didn't look it up, but assuming Peyton, Ben, Brady all make more)? I would rather take my chances with a young up-and-comer than destroy the team's financial state for the next 5 yrs. Just walk away Steelers....

feltdizz
02-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Mark my words..

William Gay will have better numbers then BMac next year..

his 3 week stint was better then any 3 weeks I remember BMac having.

NorthCoast
02-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Did a little math on the Asomugha signing:

Assuming that Asomugha will cover the #1 WR on the other team and the #1 WR is targeted for perhaps 8 to 10 passes a game, this works out to Asomugha getting paid about $100k/pass! Wow, are there any WRs making that kind of money??

pick6
02-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Congrats are in order as they were for randle el. I love to see these kids make the big bucks. Bmac did an excellent job for us and is a big reason why we went to and won the superbowl. I wish we could keep Bmac but he will cost to much. I wish him much success except against us. All steeler fans know that in todays NFL 3 solid corners are a must. with that said this is making out to be a very interesting draft. with bmac leaving and townsend getting a little older do we go corner in the first. If the scouts say there is a potential great corner available when we pick then I say take him at 32 and try to move up in the 2nd with our 2nd pick plus one of our 3rd.

RuthlessBurgher
02-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Another example of a supremely stupid owner trashing the salary structure of the league. A CB making more than 29 QB's in the league (guessing a little here since I didn't look it up, but assuming Peyton, Ben, Brady all make more)? I would rather take my chances with a young up-and-comer than destroy the team's financial state for the next 5 yrs. Just walk away Steelers....

On NFL.com, they list the top 10 cap numbers at each position as an explanation for why the franchise and transition tag numbers are what they are. Peyton is the only one with a higher cap number than Asomugha's average salary. Ben's cap number is not among the top 10 QB's in the league next season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d806a24a3&template=without-video&confirm=true

Peyton Manning $18,704,320
Tom Brady $14,620,000
Carson Palmer $13,980,001
Aaron Rodgers $13,952,500
Brett Favre $12,000,000
Eli Manning $11,416,666
Jake Delhomme $10,956,666
Matt Hasselbeck $9,950,000
David Garrard $9,475,000
Donovan McNabb $9,353,912

RuthlessBurgher
02-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Ike's deal was 5 years for $22.5 million with a $6.4 million bonus. I would offer McFadden something in that neighborhood. Since it has been a few years since that contract was signed and salaries have gone up since then, he will want more, but if he wants a Kelvin Hayden 5 years for $43 million deal with $22.5 million guaranteed, he will only be getting it from a desperate team elsewhere. I don't think Hayden is worth that, and neither is McFadden.

Oviedo
02-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Ike's deal was 5 years for $22.5 million with a $6.4 million bonus. I would offer McFadden something in that neighborhood. Since it has been a few years since that contract was signed and salaries have gone up since then, he will want more, but if he wants a Kelvin Hayden 5 years for $43 million deal with $22.5 million guaranteed, he will only be getting it from a desperate team elsewhere. I don't think Hayden is worth that, and neither is McFadden.

McFadden is a good player who hasn't been able to stay on the field. If someone is stupid enough to pay him Hayden like $$$$ then he will be grossly overpaid. Keep in mind how much McFadden may have benefitted from our pass rush. Put him on an island on a team that doesn't have our front 7 and I think he is much less of a player.

Northern_Blitz
02-22-2009, 11:51 PM
If he leaves, I hope he gets a huge contract. If he and Lefty leave to big contracts, we might get some good comps next year. We might also be able to get something from Washington. Some sites are listing him as one of the top FA WRs.

I also hope someone takes a big money gamble on Marvel, but I don't think it will happen.

Bandito
02-22-2009, 11:56 PM
My same sentiments Oviedo

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-23-2009, 01:42 AM
Good bye Bmac. Take your money and run like Faneca.

I have no problem with him if he leaves. He signed his contract and fulfilled it without complaining about not starting, or not having the team extend him. He is entitled to do whatever he wants now.

Faneca cried like a baby the last year of his deal, and caused unrest on the team that he was being paid millions to play for. That is my main complaint with him.

AngryAsian
02-23-2009, 05:41 AM
I just don't understand how someone who had only 8 passes defended and 2 ints in 10 games played can expect to get paid. He's not worth the cash. I think Gay will do quite well in his stead.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-23-2009, 11:15 AM
McFadden is a good player who hasn't been able to stay on the field.

Not only has he not stayed on the field due to injury...he also has rarely been able to crack the starting lineup.

He hasn't ever beaten out Deshea when he was healthy. Now, I like DT, he is a crafty vet who has served us well. However, he is not the type of player who should have been able to keep a budding superstar on the bench. He could have easily been moved to nickel if a better option was available at starter. In all of his years here, BMac could not knock him off the field. Keep that in mind when he is starting elsewhere next year.

Oviedo
02-23-2009, 11:28 AM
McFadden is a good player who hasn't been able to stay on the field.

Not only has he not stayed on the field due to injury...he also has rarely been able to crack the starting lineup.

He hasn't ever beaten out Deshea when he was healthy. Now, I like DT, he is a crafty vet who has served us well. However, he is not the type of player who should have been able to keep a budding superstar on the bench. He could have easily been moved to nickel if a better option was available at starter. In all of his years here, BMac could not knock him off the field. Keep that in mind when he is starting elsewhere next year.

No one said Bmac is smart leaving. Personally I think he will be exposed as more hype than performance. As I said before he greatly benefited from the system and the other 10 players around him.

The reality is however that his agent will sell the bill of goods to a crap team flush with cap space and get him about 5 years/$45M+. The other reality is that whoever we plug into his spot will end up doing just as well. From a monetary standpoint Bmac will leave, but from a professional standpoint as a football player his best decision would be to stay.

feltdizz
02-23-2009, 12:17 PM
I just don't understand how someone who had only 8 passes defended and 2 ints in 10 games played can expect to get paid. He's not worth the cash. I think Gay will do quite well in his stead.

I read somewhere that William Gay had 11 passes defended in 4 weeks when he filled in for BMac.

Ghost
02-23-2009, 02:23 PM
I know a lot of posters don't like him but Peter King had an interesting tid bit in his monday report today. He was talking to a GM about the recent ridiculous Raiders's signing and killing the cap. Basically the GM told King he's already spoken with a couple of agents and told them - "Don't even think about bringing up the Raiders contract in these discussions or they are over before they start". You just know all the other owners hate Al Davis. He was a total d!ck when he was young and now he's a senile, crazy d!ck.

eniparadoxgma
02-23-2009, 04:20 PM
See ya.

phillyesq
02-23-2009, 04:51 PM
If he leaves, I hope he gets a huge contract. If he and Lefty leave to big contracts, we might get some good comps next year. We might also be able to get something from Washington. Some sites are listing him as one of the top FA WRs.

I also hope someone takes a big money gamble on Marvel, but I don't think it will happen.

My sentiments exactly. I'd love to keep McFadden and Leftwich. I could take or leave Nate. But if they leave, the more money, the better.

I like McFadden, and I'd like to see the Steelers retain him. However, if he leaves, I think the bigger loss is not losing McFadden himself, but the diversion of resources from other areas of need. If McFadden leaves, CB becomes an area of need, along with the OL and DL. If Nate leaves, WR becomes a need area as well.

I really hoped that the Steelers could use the draft to rebuild along the OL and build youth on the DL. With McFadden leaving, corner has to be addressed in the draft (or by a mid/low level veteran FA).

AngryAsian
02-24-2009, 12:38 AM

My sentiments exactly. I'd love to keep McFadden and Leftwich. I could take or leave Nate. But if they leave, the more money, the better.

I like McFadden, and I'd like to see the Steelers retain him. However, if he leaves, I think the bigger loss is not losing McFadden himself, but the diversion of resources from other areas of need. If McFadden leaves, CB becomes an area of need, along with the OL and DL. If Nate leaves, WR becomes a need area as well.

I really hoped that the Steelers could use the draft to rebuild along the OL and build youth on the DL. With McFadden leaving, corner has to be addressed in the draft (or by a mid/low level veteran FA).

Esq, I have to disagree with you here. Bmac is a marginal player and we have to say goodbye to the marginal ones, to insure we retain the services of the real horses in our stable (ie. James Harrison, Heath Miller....) Bmac will find happiness and cash elsewhere but when he leaves success will be gone. This franchise is truly special and we've seen it so many times, a player leaves to find greener pastures only to find mediocrity. The system is what augments the talent. Nate will likewise realize this.

Mel Blount's G
02-24-2009, 01:53 AM
We did just fine without Chris Hope, which was a very similar situation (a successful role player who was part of our TEAM that won the super bowl, and consequently had teams that were seeking the steeler formula throwing duffel bags of cash at him), and we'll do fine without b-mac. Great role players in our system but far from irreplaceable.

Nate may also find himself with an offer he can't refuse, maybe like Randle-El had, though I highly doubt it'd be that ridiculous

aggiebones
02-24-2009, 12:14 PM
This is tricky.
We have Ike for awhile.
Deshea for a couple.
We'll have to pay out for BMac or Gay either now or next season. How long before Gay is in this position. You can't afford 3 high priced guys. So They'll either keep BMac or Gay down the line. If they overpay BMac now, IKE may be back knocking on this door. As soon as we open the bank for another CB, Ike will be asking too.
Gonna be tricky down the line, but entering with Ike, Deshea and Gay, we should be solid. We'll draft someone we like in rounds 3-5 and hopefully find someone we like. We draft 1 a year at minimum and have a decent success rate.