PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Starks Signs His Deal...

Steel Life
02-21-2009, 05:51 PM
T Starks signs Steelers' franchise deal - Updated: February 21, 2009, 4:25 PM ET

Though he was surprised to be tagged as the Pittsburgh Steelers' franchise player, tackle Max Starks wasted little time accepting his fate.

Starks signed a one-year, $8.45 million deal Saturday, locking him in for another season with the team. As a franchise player, Starks could have explored other opportunities. Any interested team would have had to offer two first-round picks or work out a trade with the Steelers.

By signing the franchise tender, Starks' entire salary is guaranteed for 2009.

Starks was transitioned by the Steelers from a reserve role last year but didn't open the season as a starter.

Back problems limited the playing time of starting left tackle Marvel Smith, which opened the door for Starks to start and eventually be the starting left tackle through the Super Bowl.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3924220

Here's my question...by signing the one year deal, how does this affect the draft/fa plans?

RuthlessBurgher
02-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Since no one was going to give up two first round picks for Max Starks, there was no point in him waiting to sign it, since no offers were going to be rolling in.

It affects free agency plans, because the franchise number takes the $19 million we had in cap space and reduces it to about $10.5 million. They likely won't be signing anyone from another team unless it is a minor deal. The focus will be on retaining as many of their own UFA's as possible and extending the contracts of guys like Harrison and Miller.

I don't think it affects draft plans. If a LT prospect becomes available to us, we will take him (although it is nice that we don't have to reach for one if the top guys are all off the board). Remember, Max hasn't signed a long term deal yet...so far it is just next season. If the two sides aren't able to work out an extension beyond this year, it would be good to have some young blood that could potentially step in in the future.

ramblinjim
02-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Now if we are able to re-up Max, say after the draft to a long term deal, could we still save significant cap room this year?

RuthlessBurgher
02-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Now if we are able to re-up Max, say after the draft to a long term deal, could we still save significant cap room this year?

They could structure the deal so the cap hit in year one is less than the $8.45 million franchise tag value.

ramblinjim
02-21-2009, 06:08 PM

They could structure the deal so the cap hit in year one is less than the $8.45 million franchise tag value.

gotcha, thanks sir!

Bandito
02-21-2009, 06:55 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/103670/

Starks wants to stay put
Friday, February 20, 2009
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

The Steelers did not want to enter free agency with both of their left tackles unrestricted, so on Thursday they placed the franchise tag on Max Starks.

Starks started the last 14 games this season, including the post-season, after Marvel Smith was sidelined with a back injury.

Putting the tag on Starks was the first step to keep him in the black and gold, something both sides want.

"He was a big part of our success last year and looking at the free-agent class, we felt this was one player we needed to keep," said director of football operations Kevin Colbert. "We thought it was the right thing to do at the time in free agency to make sure we secured an important player.

"We want to try and do something that is in the long-term interest of him and the team. That's everybody's intention. That's our intention."

Starks, a third round draft pick in 2004, has started 45 games in his first five seasons with the team.

Smith, who was eventually placed on injured reserve, will be an unrestricted free agent but the tag on Starks doesn’t rule out bringing Smith back.

"Will one signing affect the other? Yes," said Smith. "Does it mean he will be out? No. I hate to say securing one player should mean the end of another player, only because we don't know what will happen over the next three weeks of free agency."

With the franchise tag Starks would receive the average salary of the top five at his position. If he signs with another team, the Steelers would receive two number one draft picks in return.
Starks, though, wants to be back.

“That is what we are working on now, trying to work on something along those lines,” said Starks. “We are trying to work something out. We agreed on the franchise tag and are hoping to agree on something long term.”

Last year the Steelers placed the transition tag on Starks, even though he entered the season as a back-up. It paid dividends after he was moved into the starting lineup.

“With the injury to Marvel and Max stepping up and becoming the starting left tackle, we think he proved he can do that job,” said Colbert. “I think there is a difference between last year and this year."

Starks, who only started in four games in 2007 when Smith was injured, is hoping that he has proven himself with the role he played this season en route to the team winning Super Bowl XLIII.

“I thought I had a lot to offer this team,” said Starks. “I am glad I had an opportunity to help us get the sixth one. It meant a lot to me personally. You always wonder about yourself and how people think about you. To be able to go out there and help the Steelers organization, Mr. Rooney and the city of Pittsburgh get the sixth Lombardi was very important.”

Iron Shiek
02-21-2009, 06:59 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/103670/

Starks wants to stay put
Friday, February 20, 2009
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

The Steelers did not want to enter free agency with both of their left tackles unrestricted, so on Thursday they placed the franchise tag on Max Starks.

Starks started the last 14 games this season, including the post-season, after Marvel Smith was sidelined with a back injury.

Putting the tag on Starks was the first step to keep him in the black and gold, something both sides want.

"He was a big part of our success last year and looking at the free-agent class, we felt this was one player we needed to keep," said director of football operations Kevin Colbert. "We thought it was the right thing to do at the time in free agency to make sure we secured an important player.

"We want to try and do something that is in the long-term interest of him and the team. That's everybody's intention. That's our intention."

Starks, a third round draft pick in 2004, has started 45 games in his first five seasons with the team.

Smith, who was eventually placed on injured reserve, will be an unrestricted free agent but the tag on Starks doesn’t rule out bringing Smith back.

"Will one signing affect the other? Yes," said Smith. "Does it mean he will be out? No. I hate to say securing one player should mean the end of another player, only because we don't know what will happen over the next three weeks of free agency."

With the franchise tag Starks would receive the average salary of the top five at his position. If he signs with another team, the Steelers would receive two number one draft picks in return.
Starks, though, wants to be back.

“That is what we are working on now, trying to work on something along those lines,” said Starks. “We are trying to work something out. We agreed on the franchise tag and are hoping to agree on something long term.”

Last year the Steelers placed the transition tag on Starks, even though he entered the season as a back-up. It paid dividends after he was moved into the starting lineup.

“With the injury to Marvel and Max stepping up and becoming the starting left tackle, we think he proved he can do that job,” said Colbert. “I think there is a difference between last year and this year."

Starks, who only started in four games in 2007 when Smith was injured, is hoping that he has proven himself with the role he played this season en route to the team winning Super Bowl XLIII.

“I thought I had a lot to offer this team,” said Starks. “I am glad I had an opportunity to help us get the sixth one. It meant a lot to me personally. You always wonder about yourself and how people think about you. To be able to go out there and help the Steelers organization, Mr. Rooney and the city of Pittsburgh get the sixth Lombardi was very important.”

We are backed into a corner in finding a stud LT prospect to develop in this draft if he doesn't sign long term. You know dude will get paid next year and will walk leaving a gaping hole at LT for us. Any LT Free Agents next year will not be in our budget (especially if the CBA isn't renewed and there is an uncapped year). We have got major dilemma brewing...too many other big names to sign...where would we find money for Starks next year when we have to pay Harrison, Heath, Woodley, etc...

Bandito
02-21-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm afraid of that too which makes me think we may get Britton or Beatty in the 1st and a Center like Woods or Caldwell in the 2nd. 3rd will hopefully be a CB and WR.

Possibly get a sleeper tackle like Lydon Murtha or Andrew Gardner later in the draft.

Lebsteel
02-22-2009, 01:20 AM
I'm afraid of that too which makes me think we may get Britton or Beatty in the 1st and a Center like Woods or Caldwell in the 2nd. 3rd will hopefully be a CB and WR.

Possibly get a sleeper tackle like Lydon Murtha or Andrew Gardner later in the draft.

Those guys would be OK, but, IMO we absolutely need to pick up a DL with one of our top four picks. I think we can get a good WR in Rd. 4 or 5.

AngryAsian
02-22-2009, 01:28 AM
We are backed into a corner in finding a stud LT prospect to develop in this draft if he doesn't sign long term. You know dude will get paid next year and will walk leaving a gaping hole at LT for us. Any LT Free Agents next year will not be in our budget (especially if the CBA isn't renewed and there is an uncapped year). We have got major dilemma brewing...too many other big names to sign...where would we find money for Starks next year when we have to pay Harrison, Heath, Woodley, etc...

I'm not all that worried. I think a stud LT will be ours on day 1. Up until he filled in, and stayed as the starter, Max was all but written off by most. "A waste of the transition tag" from what I remember. The Max dealings over the last two seasons gives credibility in my eyes that Colbert and the FO knows what they're doing and have a plan. This team will be a strong contender once more in 2009. I personally want a Steeler/Cheats* AFCCG and want to exorcise our demons by retiring Brady permanently enroute to our 7th World Championship.

Chadman
02-22-2009, 01:52 AM
If the Steelers make no 'real' effort to re-sign Marvel, put your money on Starks getting a long-term deal.

Last year, Max was 'insurance' in case of injury.

This year, he's the starting Left Tackle.

There will be no 'umming' & 'ahhing' this time around- Starks will get his deal.

This could very well mean that NO OT's will be added to the roster this season- Starks, Colon , Essex & Hills (if they re-sign Essex & tender Colon- both likely) will be the 4 OT's on the roster- your starting LT & RT are set, Essex is your genuine back-up & Hills is your promising youngster.

Then, the Steelers can focus on other positions- interior OL, DL & CB.

steelcityrules!!
02-22-2009, 10:32 AM
If the Steelers make no 'real' effort to re-sign Marvel, put your money on Starks getting a long-term deal.

There will be no 'umming' & 'ahhing' this time around- Starks will get his deal.

This could very well mean that NO OT's will be added to the roster this season- Starks, Colon , Essex & Hills (if they re-sign Essex & tender Colon- both likely) will be the 4 OT's on the roster- your starting LT & RT are set, Essex is your genuine back-up & Hills is your promising youngster.

I tend to agree with the Aussie on this approach.
we don't really know what we have in hills yet, and if we add a tackle it could very well be a project later in the draft unless a true talent falls in our laps.

remember, the rooneys and colbert target certain players, but routinely take BPA as last years draft clearly shows us.

bolstering our interior line and a backup for the DE's makes the most sense, unless we pull the trigger on a CB early.

wouldn't that be ironic, the first year I'm not crying for a CB in round 1 and it might be the most realistic option depending on who's available.

:wft

pfelix73
02-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Bingo- Chadman.... I agree with your assessments.

The only fly in the ointment on this is Beatty, IMO. The reasons for this are many- I'll tell ya that because he's a former Bearcat from William Penn High School in York, PA (BA's old stomping grounds) and that the guy is smart as hell, has a good shoulder (stays out of trouble) and has 2 parents that are pastors means a lot to a team such as the Steelers. (Good character) Don't forget for a minute that BA might be lobbying for this fellow. Just a thought.

This guy has all the talent in the world to be a LT in the NFL someday. He just needs someone to coach and teach him more than he knows now. In other words- he has a tremendous amount of POTENTIAL. He could do a Smith or Starks and play RT for a few years then move over to LT.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-23-2009, 10:56 AM

I've been touting this for about a year now. I believe that it would have happened already if the coaches showed as much faith in Max as Colbert has. Last off season I was calling for a deal in the range of 4 years, $18M. At this point, and using the Carey deal as a basis, I am thinking somewhere along the lines of 5 years, $28-32M with around $14M guaranteed. You make the first year hit somewhere around $4.5M and that saves you a nice chunk against the cap this year.

Oviedo
02-23-2009, 11:01 AM

Lydon Murtha is showing great athleticism at the combine. he may not be a sleeper for long.

Lebsteel
02-23-2009, 02:14 PM

Lydon Murtha is showing great athleticism at the combine. he may not be a sleeper for long.

Murtha's issue is durability. It seems that he was frequently injured at Nebraska. But, he has posted VERY impressive numbers at the Combine. I asked a friend who is a Nebraska fan and he spoke highly of Murtha.