PDA

View Full Version : Al Davis - WTF?????

stlrz d
02-21-2009, 11:23 AM
First he gives ridiculous contracts to Asomugha and Lechler...and now this...wtf?!? The Raiders will continue to suck until Al Davis is on the wrong side of the dirt.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sabercats/ci_11752548

Raiders release Oak Grove product Gibril Wilson

By Jerry McDonald

Bay Area News Group
Posted: 02/20/2009 07:00:00 PM PST

The Raiders began clearing the decks for the contracts of Shane Lechler and Nnamdi Asomugha by releasing three players Friday, including starting strong safety Gibril Wilson.

Wilson, the former Oak Grove High star who was due a $2.5 million salary and a $4.5 million roster bonus in March, was signed to a six-year, $39 million deal last offseason after leading the Super Bowl champion New York Giants in tackles.

Instead, he is out after one year, having collected just over $9 million for a year's work with an $8.4 million signing bonus and $605,000 in salary.

Wilson was brought in along with trade acquisition DeAngelo Hall as part of a remade secondary. Hall, released after eight games, made $8 million meaning the Raiders spent $17 million and still ended up with one of the NFL's most porous defenses.

Also released were wide receiver Ronald Curry and defensive end Kalimba Edwards.

Curry, due a $3.5 million salary in 2009, was informed last week his release was coming. The team's leading receiver in 2006 and 2007 with 117 receptions for 1,444 yards, Curry slumped to 19 catches, 181 yards and was plagued by dropped passes in 2008 before being phased out in favor of rookie Chaz Schilens.

Edwards, signed as a free agent last season from Detroit, had five sacks but none over his last eight games. Edwards was to earn $2.25 million in the second year of a two-year contract.

The three releases will save the Raiders approximately $6.2 million in salary cap space. The club was reportedly $8 million under the $123 million cap last week before making Lechler (four years, $16 million) and Asomugha (three years, $45.3 million ) the league's highest-paid players at their respective positions.

The Raiders must be at or below the salary cap when free agency begins at 9 p.m. on Feb. 26.

Brought in because of his strength as a tackler, Wilson was second to Kirk Morrison with 129 stops but missed his share of tackles and was not the force the club hoped defending the run, with Oakland ranking 31st in the NFL in rushing defense.

Wilson was dismayed when Hall was released, calling the Raiders a "soap opera'' and openly wondering if he would be next.

"If you don't have a vision and you're just trying to plug in players, then you're always going to get the same results," Wilson said.

Wolfhound45
02-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Will you walk away from a fool and his money?

http://media.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/raiders/archives/022908wilson300.jpg

I am so glad the Rooneys own this franchise.

:Steel

RuthlessBurgher
02-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Within the past year, the two biggest contracts we signed were Ben Roethlisberger's 8 year, $102 million deal and James Farrior's 5 year, $18.75 million deal. Davis just signed Nnamdi Asomugha to a 3 year, $45.3 million deal and Shane Lechler to a 4 year, $16 million deal.

Let's see...Ben's deal averages out to $12.75 per year, while Nnamdi's is $15.1 million per year. Farrior's deal averages out to $3.75 million per year, while Lechler's is $4 million per year.

Hmmm...would you rather have a franchise QB for less money per year than a cornerback? Would you rather have a Pro Bowl linebacker for less money per year than a punter? Wow...

TallyStiller
02-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Al's been too busy lately avoiding holy water, wooden stakes, and daylight to think straight, I guess...

SidSmythe
02-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Gotta love Al Davis. Just goes to show, that you don't have to be a football genius to own an NFL franchise

grotonsteel
02-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Al's been too busy lately avoiding holy water, wooden stakes, and daylight to think straight, I guess...

:D

Steelgal
02-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Why ANY free agent would choose to go to that frenchise is beyond me!!!! It's completely laughable how Davis runs things. I know Asomugha got paid, but I think I'd rather take less from another team (unless he knew they were going to use the franchise tag on him).

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-21-2009, 05:19 PM

And mirrors!

Iron Shiek
02-21-2009, 06:40 PM
All I hear on the radio is people defending him. THey say stuff like they talked to him recently and he is totally aware of his surroundings like they are trying to disprove rumors of his senility. But I just don't see it. How can a team continuously make such absolutely horrible moves and contracts.

NorthCoast
02-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Why ANY free agent would choose to go to that frenchise is beyond me!!!! It's completely laughable how Davis runs things. I know Asomugha got paid, but I think I'd rather take less from another team (unless he knew they were going to use the franchise tag on him).

Players go to the Raiders for paychecks, not winning games or, God-forbid, championships. When you talk about team chemistry, that team has to be the antithesis. Revolving player doors don't build chemistry. I mean, can you even name me who Davis thinks the 'core' players are? How can Asomugha be that guy after only one year? Core players have demonstrated themselves over several years of outstanding play. Davis is one big idiot ruining the league for the rest of the teams (then again, maybe that's been his plan all along...?).

stlrz d
02-22-2009, 11:14 AM
NA will cash grab for 2 seasons and opt out of the third season so he can go someplace for a "chance at a ring".

Djfan
02-22-2009, 11:20 AM
NA will cash grab for 2 seasons and opt out of the third season so he can go someplace for a "chance at a ring".

Funny how many of those "chance at a ring" guys don't take the Steelers discount to be on the one team that proves over and over again what it takes to get a ring.

Many of those guys would have been cool to have over the years, but instead pass it up, giving the opportunity to "scrubs" who get the rings.

Money talks, but it often says the wrong things.

stlrz d
02-22-2009, 11:27 AM

Funny how many of those "chance at a ring" guys don't take the Steelers discount to be on the one team that proves over and over again what it takes to get a ring.

Many of those guys would have been cool to have over the years, but instead pass it up, giving the opportunity to "scrubs" who get the rings.

Yeah, it's not lost on me that those "chance at a ring" guys still always go to teams that will give them only a slightly less hefty chunk of change.

Djfan
02-22-2009, 11:29 AM
[quote="stlrz d":yvhbn0z9]NA will cash grab for 2 seasons and opt out of the third season so he can go someplace for a "chance at a ring".

Yeah, it's not lost on me that those "chance at a ring" guys still always go to teams that will give them only a slightly less hefty chunk of change.[/quote:yvhbn0z9]

And equally abysmal chance of that ring.