PDA

View Full Version : Apparently other Teams view Colon more favorably than Fans

BigRob
02-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Per Adam Caplan:

Pittsburgh Steelers ORT Willie Colon is set to be a restricted free agent next Friday. In discussions with a few league executives, there's a belief that the former fourth-round pick out of the 2006 draft could draw attention of several teams.

The key for any potential interest in Colon will be at what level he's tendered at. Should he receive a second-round tender, it's believed at least five to six teams that need help at right tackle or guard could pursue him. Should he get a first round tender, which many believe he will receive, teams will probably pass on him."

Apparently alot of teams think more highly of Willie than Steeler Fans do. I would bet they like him better at guard, as would I.

pittpete
02-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Personally I would've loved to see him play guard for us.

steelz09
02-20-2009, 10:22 PM
:Agree :Agree :Agree

I think Colon could really excel at guard. This is why I would love to see a tackle in round 1, NOT a guard. Forget about Duke or any other guard. The only person that I'll accept as an interior guy in round 1 is a CENTER that can play guard. Unger or Max, correct? That way, one of these guys can start at guard this year and move on to center next year when Hartwig leaves.

If we draft a tackle in round 1 then I could see:

LT: Max / Hills / Rooke
LT: Colon / Kemo (likey gone) / Stapleton / Rookie
C: Hartwig / Stapleton
RG: Simmons / Stapleton / Rookie
RT: Max / Hills / Rookie

If we draft Alex Mack then I could see:

LT: Max / Hills
LG: Mack / Stapleton
C: Hartwig
RG: Simmons / Stapleton
RT: Colon / Hills

Mick'sTeam
02-20-2009, 10:45 PM
If there is any truth to that report, I would slap a 2nd round tender on him in a heartbeat and then hope someone else takes him. That would give us 5 picks in the first three rounds (assuming we get a 3rd round comp pick for Faneca). We could then utilize some of these picks to target some key players and potentially trade up to get them if the opportunity presents itself. Personally, I move Starks to RT, and if someone takes Colon with a 2nd round tender, use one of our third, one of our 2nd rounders and our 1st to move up and draft another tackle (maybe guard). If we did that, we'd move up in the 1st, and still have a 2nd and our 3rd round comp.

Iron Shiek
02-21-2009, 12:32 AM
We haven't even traded him yet but somehow the Jacksonville Jaguars got flagged for false start and had a td called back already. I don't know how it happened, but it did.

RuthlessBurgher
02-21-2009, 01:15 AM
If there is any truth to that report, I would slap a 2nd round tender on him in a heartbeat and then hope someone else takes him. That would give us 5 picks in the first three rounds (assuming we get a 3rd round comp pick for Faneca). We could then utilize some of these picks to target some key players and potentially trade up to get them if the opportunity presents itself. Personally, I move Starks to RT, and if someone takes Colon with a 2nd round tender, use one of our third, one of our 2nd rounders and our 1st to move up and draft another tackle (maybe guard). If we did that, we'd move up in the 1st, and still have a 2nd and our 3rd round comp.

I agree...I also would slap a 2nd round tender on him in a heartbeat and then hope someone else takes him. However, if that happened, the 2nd round pick that we could get for him would be in 2010, not 2009.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-21-2009, 12:53 PM

I agree...I also would slap a 2nd round tender on him in a heartbeat and then hope someone else takes him. However, if that happened, the 2nd round pick that we could get for him would be in 2010, not 2009.

:Agree

Iron Shiek
02-21-2009, 07:04 PM

2009 or 2010...I'd love to get something for him. However getting a 7th rounder for Mahan > getting a 2nd rounder for Colon in terms of shock value anyway... :D