PDA

View Full Version : Max Starks back at RT?

toddjammin
02-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Per Rotoworld

Max Starks-T- Steelers Feb. 20 - 10:00 am et

Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert says the team intends to sign franchise player Max Starks to a long-term deal.

Colbert interestingly wouldn't commit to using Starks at left tackle going forward, indicating he may envision Starks as a long-term right tackle. With mediocre athleticism, that's the position Starks, 27, is best suited for.
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

pittpete
02-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Rather see him there than Colon who is not a T.

toddjammin
02-20-2009, 08:39 PM

agree. I would have no problem with the Steelers signing a long term deal with Starks to be the RT and hopefully we can draft our franchise LT in the first round of this years draft

Oviedo
02-20-2009, 08:58 PM

agree. I would have no problem with the Steelers signing a long term deal with Starks to be the RT and hopefully we can draft our franchise LT in the first round of this years draft

Drafting 1.32 is not conducive to getting a "franchise" tackle. Anyone we get would be a project. Again the wildcard is Hills. He was coming off an injury last year and now has a year in the system wioth coaching. Maybe the surprise will be he is ready to play.

Iron Shiek
02-20-2009, 10:36 PM
My friend brought up an interesting and worrisome proposition regarding Max. Would we not absolutely HAVE to get his long term deal done in order to keep stability with the line and financial soundness?

His thinking is that with Harrison/Woodley/Heath among others that are going to warrant big deals starting next year, if Starks plays good he will command big money on the open market next offseason which we won't be able to pony up and will leave. Putting us in a bigger hole at the Tackle spot with limited funds to bring in a FA next year at Tackle. So its basically imperative that we hit the jackpot with a good Tackle prospect in the first couple rounds...no (unless he signs a longer term deal)?

Just wondering what you all think.

Mick'sTeam
02-20-2009, 10:40 PM

Drafting 1.32 is not conducive to getting a "franchise" tackle. Anyone we get would be a project. Again the wildcard is Hills. He was coming off an injury last year and now has a year in the system wioth coaching. Maybe the surprise will be he is ready to play.

While you are right that drafting at the end of the 1st round usually doesn't allow teams the luxury of drafting a "franchise" tackle, we may have some options. We will likely have 9 draft picks this year, with two of them coming in the 3rd round. 9 draft picks will not make the squad. I would rule out the possibility of utilizing some of those 9 picks in an effort to trade up, particularly if one of the top tackles slips at all.

TallyStiller
02-20-2009, 10:43 PM
One thing that scares me about Starks is the fact that he ended up benched in '06 and '07 basically because he was lazy. Once he gets paid, what motivates him to keep the weight down and keep playing hard? He's an average tackle when he's busting his a$$ trying to earn his payday... what is he once he has it?

stlrz d
02-21-2009, 12:26 PM
One thing that scares me about Starks is the fact that he ended up benched in '06 and '07 basically because he was lazy. Once he gets paid, what motivates him to keep the weight down and keep playing hard? He's an average tackle when he's busting his a$$ trying to earn his payday... what is he once he has it?

Well he got $7 million for last season and seemed to play to his abilities.

pfelix73
02-21-2009, 12:39 PM
No- He's our long-term answer to LT now. All that cash for a RT? I don't see it.