PDA

View Full Version : This is another excellent mock draft (Ruthless full 1st Rnd)

RuthlessBurgher
02-20-2009, 04:50 PM
In my other excellent mock draft (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5505), I had the Steelers taking Alex Mack with the 32nd pick in the first round. How might that come to pass, with some other teams that could use a good center picking before us? Those center-needy teams have other needs that they could fill in the first, knowing that center is a deep position this year with some other guys like Unger, Wood, Luigs, Caldwell, Shipley, etc. that they could get in rounds 2, 3, or 4 if they decide to pass on Mack in round 1. Well, here is a mock projection of an entire first round as I see it right now prior to the combine this weekend:

1 Detroit Matthew Stafford QB Georgia
2 St Louis Eugene Monroe OT Virginia
3 Kansas City Andre Smith OT Alabama
4 Seattle Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech
5 Cleveland Aaron Curry OLB Wake Forest
6 Cincinnati BJ Raji DT Boston College
7 Oakland Michael Oher OT Mississippi
8 Jacksonville Jason Smith OT Baylor
9 Green Bay Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State
10 San Francisco Mark Sanchez QB USC
11 Buffalo Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma St
12 Denver Brian Orakpo OLB Texas
13 Washington Peria Jerry DT Mississippi
14 New Orleans Vontae Davis CB Illinois
15 Houston Everette Brown DE Florida State
16 San Diego Rey Maualuga ILB USC
17 NY Jets Tyson Jackson DE LSU
18 Chicago Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri
19 Tampa Bay Percy Harvin WR Florida
20 Detroit (from Dallas) William Beatty OT Connecticut
21 Philadelphia Eben Britton OT Arizona
22 Minnesota Josh Freeman QB Kansas State
23 New England Larry English OLB Northern Illinois
24 Atlanta Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech
25 Miami James Laurinaitis ILB Ohio State
26 Baltimore DJ Moore CB Vanderbilt
27 Indianapolis Hakeem Nicks WR North Carolina
28 Philadelphia (from Carolina) Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia
29 NY Giants Aaron Maybin OLB Penn State
30 Tennessee Darrius Heyward-Bey WR Maryland
31 Arizona Chris Wells RB Ohio State
32 Pittsburgh Alex Mack C California

http://www.mybearterritory.com/images/photos/cal_wallpaper_downloads/800x600_Alex_Mack_2_Wallpaper.jpghttp://www.steelersfever.com/news/images/players/steelers_logo01.jpg

Jom112
02-20-2009, 05:11 PM
You think we'll take B.J. Raji?

I wouldn't rule it out, but I don't think we will. We just signed Peko to a long term deal and Sims looked pretty good when he took the starting position from Thornton. I don't see either one of them going to the bench.

I saw a mock recently, I believe PFT's that had the Browns taking B.J. Raji. At first I thought it didn't make any sense with Shaun Rodgers at NT and Raji being too small (height wise) to play DE in a 3-4. But if the Browns were to put Raji at NT and Rodgers at DE, that would be a very solid D-Line. Let's hope the Browns aren't that smart...

RuthlessBurgher
02-20-2009, 05:33 PM
You think we'll take B.J. Raji?

I wouldn't rule it out, but I don't think we will. We just signed Peko to a long term deal and Sims looked pretty good when he took the starting position from Thornton. I don't see either one of them going to the bench.

I saw a mock recently, I believe PFT's that had the Browns taking B.J. Raji. At first I thought it didn't make any sense with Shaun Rodgers at NT and Raji being too small (height wise) to play DE in a 3-4. But if the Browns were to put Raji at NT and Rodgers at DE, that would be a very solid D-Line. Let's hope the Browns aren't that smart...

Well, I think Raji's performance at the Senior Bowl is vaulting him up into the top 10 range. I know Cincy has a pretty good young secondary, but could probably use more of a push up front. Since I liked Raji more than the top DE prospects in this draft, I slotted him there. I knew about Peko and his red mane, but I thought of him more a run stuffing DT than a penetrator, which is what Raji could be. I'll admit that I don't know much about Sims (although I knew Thornton was old and pretty much done). They could very well take one of the top 4 OT's instead, though. Flip-flopping Raji and Oher between the Bengals and Raiders picking back to back is an option. I like Oher, though, and don't want to see him in Cincy (although projecting him to Al-Davis-Land is likely a worse fate!).

MeetJoeGreene
02-20-2009, 05:50 PM
If Wells falls to AZ and Warner stays and Wells stays healthy and Boldin doesn't hold out..... that could make them have an even scarier-good offense.

Iron Shiek
02-20-2009, 10:40 PM
If Wells falls to AZ and Warner stays and Wells stays healthy and Boldin doesn't hold out..... that could make them have an even scarier-good offense.

Beanie will pull a labia by week 5, don't worry.

Discipline of Steel
02-21-2009, 10:38 AM
If we pick Alex Mack, how is that going to make Justin Hartwig feel? Same scenario as what happened to him in Carolina and he wasnt real enthused about that.

RuthlessBurgher
02-21-2009, 11:17 AM
If we pick Alex Mack, how is that going to make Justin Hartwig feel? Same scenario as what happened to him in Carolina and he wasnt real enthused about that.

Hartwig was only signed to a 2 year deal, so 2009 is the last year of his contract. I believe I read on here that he gave up more sacks than any other center in the league last year, and is already 30 years old, so he is not our long-term solution there. If we draft Mack, I would keep Hartwig at center for one more year, putting Mack next to him at guard for his rookie season (he should be better than Kemo or Stapleton). Then let Hartwig walk after next season, making Mack the full time center from year 2 forward. When Dermontti Dawson came into the league, he played guard for a year next to Webby before moving over to center when Webby went to K.C.

Discipline of Steel
02-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Good point although I think part of his sack problem may have been related to his adjacent line mates. At least he is in a contract year which should discourage him from becoming a malcontent and sucking next season.

You didnt even mention Simmons. I think the guy is cooked and doesnt make the squad next year...we will see as the pieces continue to fall into place.

100$handshake
02-21-2009, 11:32 AM
I wouldn't be surprised given our past history to see us pass on an O-lineman in the first round AND 2nd round. I think we definitely need someone early but Kevin Colbert may disagree. And given the tendency over the last couple drafts to sit the rooks and let them develop ,whoever we pick will have little to no impact on 2009.

Discipline of Steel
02-21-2009, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't be surprised given our past history to see us pass on an O-lineman in the first round AND 2nd round. I think we definitely need someone early but Kevin Colbert may disagree. And given the tendency over the last couple drafts to sit the rooks and let them develop ,whoever we pick will have little to no impact on 2009.

I hope not, we need some large caliber ammo in the breach as far as the OL goes.

RuthlessBurgher
02-21-2009, 12:06 PM

I doubt it, since o-line is our overwhelming biggest need in terms of infusing talent onto our roster, but if there is a top notch d-line prospect who projects to the 3-4 available at #32, I could definitely see him taking that guy instead of an o-lineman, because we also need an injection of youth along the d-line with everyone there being 30+. I could also imagine if a top CB prospect who is also an accomplished return guy is available at the end of the 2nd round (and we don't re-up McFadden), that could be a viable pick. If something like that were to happen, though (I doubt it, but it is certainly possible), then I would think you would almost have to address the o-line with both of your 3rd round picks (assuming we get a comp pick at the end of the 3rd for Faneca).

pfelix73
02-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Stapleton is the heir to Hartwig and Simmons will have a great camp as he usually does. Etch it in stone. Simmons is always great at camp, that's why he never loses his position..

IMO- We'll go BPA, DL there at 32.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-21-2009, 12:52 PM
The Steelers did often use premium draft picks on O linemen - up until a few years ago. Looking back beyond the past three years to picks in the first three rounds:

2005 - 3 93 Trai Essex T Northwestern
2004 - 3 75 Max Starks T Florida
2002 - 1 30 Kendall Simmons G Auburn
2000 - 2 38 Marvel Smith T Arizona State
1999 - 3 74 Kris Farris T UCLA
1998 - 1 26 Alan Faneca G Louisiana State
1998 - 3 66 Chris Conrad T Fresno State

And consider that throughout most of the past 5-10 years we had in place LT Smith, LG Faneca, and C Hartings and there was not much need to be drafting a lot of linemen with high picks. However, the fact that they have ignored the draft the past three years in favor of searching for secondary OL talent in FA (Mahan, Hartwig) then we must restock our OL ASAP.

RuthlessBurgher
02-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Oh, the hazards of the pre-combine mock. Of the guys in my top 4, one didn't bother showing up for the biggest job interview of his life for no apparent reason, while another will need surgery requiring at least 10 weeks for recovery and therefore will not be able to work out for anyone prior to the draft. D'Oh!!!

http://journeyhomeburke.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/24819bpthe-simpsons-homer-d-oh-posters.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
03-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Okay, time for a Version 2.0 now that the combine has taken place and we are a few weeks into free agency:

2 St Louis Jason Smith OT Baylor
3 Kansas City Aaron Curry OLB Wake Forest
4 Seattle Eugene Monroe OT Virginia
5 Cleveland Brian Orakpo OLB Texas
6 Cincinnati Michael Oher OT Mississippi
7 Oakland Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech
8 Jacksonville BJ Raji DT Boston College
9 Green Bay Andre Smith OT Alabama
11 Buffalo Everette Brown DE Florida State
12 Denver Tyson Jackson DE LSU
13 Washington Rey Maualuga ILB USC
15 Houston Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri
16 San Diego Eben Britton OT Arizona
17 NY Jets Percy Harvin WR Florida
18 Chicago Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State
19 Tampa Bay Peria Jerry DT Mississippi
21 Philadelphia Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia
22 Minnesota Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech
24 Atlanta Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma St
25 Miami Brian Cushing OLB USC
26 Baltimore Darrius Heyward-Bey WR Maryland
28 Philadelphia (from Carolina) Duke Robinson OG Oklahoma
30 Tennessee DJ Moore CB Vanderbilt

Lebsteel
03-11-2009, 01:45 PM

It's going to make him feel like he'd better be at the top of his game if he wants to start. If he's not, he will be the backup.

ANPSTEEL
03-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Okay, time for a Version 2.0 now that the combine has taken place and we are a few weeks into free agency:

5 Cleveland Brian Orakpo OLB Texas
6 Cincinnati Michael Oher OT Mississippi
7 Oakland Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech
8 Jacksonville BJ Raji DT Boston College
9 Green Bay Andre Smith OT Alabama
11 Buffalo Everette Brown DE Florida State
12 Denver Tyson Jackson DE LSU
13 Washington Rey Maualuga ILB USC
15 Houston Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri
17 NY Jets Percy Harvin WR Florida
18 Chicago Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State
19 Tampa Bay Peria Jerry DT Mississippi
22 Minnesota Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech
25 Miami Brian Cushing OLB USC
30 Tennessee DJ Moore CB Vanderbilt

Firstly, let me comment, that is an excellent mock draft.

Second,... how difficult did you find it to ignore the other teams that need a Center, in order to get the Steelers drafting Mack, the 2nd time around??

:P :lol: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
03-11-2009, 02:35 PM
how difficult did you find it to ignore the other teams that need a Center, in order to get the Steelers drafting Mack, the 2nd time around??

Not too difficult, actually. I think the two teams that were the biggest threats to take Mack were Miami and Baltimore, and they signed Jake Grove and Matt Birk, respectively. Since the Vikings lost Birk, they could be in the market for a center, but 22nd overall would be pretty high for that (I think Nick Mangold at #29 a few years ago was the highest a center was drafted in some time), especially since they know there will be other quality center prospects available for them in rounds 2 or 3. I figured they could use another DE opposite Jared Allen and next to the Williams boys to finish off their d-line (especially since previous first round DE picks Erasmus James and Kenechi Udeze never worked out). Indy might have been a possibility, but they re-signed Jeff Saturday, plus drafted Mike Pollak and Steve Justice last year. Cincy really needs a center and could use their early 2nd round pick to jump ahead of us to get him, but I am not projecting trades here.

ANPSTEEL
03-11-2009, 02:40 PM
how difficult did you find it to ignore the other teams that need a Center, in order to get the Steelers drafting Mack, the 2nd time around??

Not too difficult, actually. I think the two teams that were the biggest threats to take Mack were Miami and Baltimore, and they signed Jake Grove and Matt Birk, respectively. Since the Vikings lost Birk, they could be in the market for a center, but 22nd overall would be pretty high for that (I think Nick Mangold at #29 a few years ago was the highest a center was drafted in some time), especially since they know there will be other quality center prospects available for them in rounds 2 or 3. I figured they could use another DE opposite Jared Allen and next to the Williams boys to finish off their d-line (especially since previous first round DE picks Erasmus James and Kenechi Udeze never worked out). Indy might have been a possibility, but they re-signed Jeff Saturday, plus drafted Mike Pollak and Steve Justice last year. Cincy really needs a center and could use their early 2nd round pick to jump ahead of us to get him, but I am not projecting trades here.

i'm just phuking with you-

I know you have a woody for Mack- I do too.

I'd love to see his name called at 32. I'm just not so sure its gonna happen.

Stranger things have happened though- like mendenhall falling last year- so i'll keep the positive vibe w/ you.

Go Mack!!!

ANPSTEEL
03-11-2009, 02:47 PM
... Since the Vikings lost Birk, they could be in the market for a center, but 22nd overall would be pretty high for that (I think Nick Mangold at #29 a few years ago was the highest a center was drafted in some time), especially since they know there will be other quality center prospects available for them in rounds 2 or 3...

....Cincy really needs a center and could use their early 2nd round pick to jump ahead of us to get him, but I am not projecting trades here.

These are exactly the scenarios I am concerned about.

I think if Vikings don't take him at 22, watch for some other team to try and trade up right in front of Pitt, to take Mack.

Sort of like Jacksonville did last year with Harvey, and more particularly, Quentin Groves in the 2nd. Those bastages...

MaxAMillion
03-11-2009, 02:57 PM
... Since the Vikings lost Birk, they could be in the market for a center, but 22nd overall would be pretty high for that (I think Nick Mangold at #29 a few years ago was the highest a center was drafted in some time), especially since they know there will be other quality center prospects available for them in rounds 2 or 3...

....Cincy really needs a center and could use their early 2nd round pick to jump ahead of us to get him, but I am not projecting trades here.

These are exactly the scenarios I am concerned about.

I think if Vikings don't take him at 22, watch for some other team to try and trade up right in front of Pitt, to take Mack.

Sort of like Jacksonville did last year with Harvey, and more particularly, Quentin Groves in the 2nd. Those bastages...

I doubt it, interior linemen are normally not considered a priority in round 1. I doubt any center is taken before we pick. Look at most teams and the interior linemen are usually drafted in the middle rounds. The Tackles are the players that get taken early. Britton is the OL that I hope falls to the Steelers but I doubt that happens. The Eagles will probably get him.

I hope the Steelers pass on Mack in round 1. They will be able to get a quality center prospect in round 2 if needed.

RuthlessBurgher
03-11-2009, 02:58 PM

Stranger things have happened though- like mendenhall falling last year- so i'll keep the positive vibe w/ you.

Go Mack!!!

Mack's my #1 semi-realistic target, but I'm still hoping one of the top tackles slides within striking distance (everyone says that Oher's stock could be plummeting, but I don't see how he last past all those teams that could use upgrades at tackle). I have the top 4 OT's going in the top 10, and the top 6 OT's gone in the top 20, but if someone like Oher magically slides down into the 20's, I do what it took trade up to go get him.

If no tackles fall, though, we could even trade up a few spots to get Mack ourselves if he is the team's top target and we are worried about another team from the early 2nd round leapfrogging us.

steelcityrules!!
03-11-2009, 08:55 PM

Go Mack!!!

Mack's my #1 semi-realistic target, but I'm still hoping one of the top tackles slides within striking distance (everyone says that Oher's stock could be plummeting, but I don't see how he last past all those teams that could use upgrades at tackle). I have the top 4 OT's going in the top 10, and the top 6 OT's gone in the top 20, but if someone like Oher magically slides down into the 20's, I do what it took trade up to go get him.

If no tackles fall, though, we could even trade up a few spots to get Mack ourselves if he is the team's top target and we are worried about another team from the early 2nd round leapfrogging us.

honestly, i'd rather see if one of the top 3 corners fall to us, and grab wood or luigs at the end of round 2.

that would leave us with two picks at the end of the 3rd to grab some beef for the D-line and maybe a look at some BPA type that has fallen down due to an injury or average pro-day workouts.

we have committed to a couple of tackles for next year, and have hills learning the ropes... is mack all that and a bag of apples compared to luigs, and worth giving up high picks to get?

buckeyehoppy
03-11-2009, 11:45 PM
RB: your mock here is very good and I would be satisfied with the outcome if, indeed, the Steelers had the opportunity and went ahead and drafted Mack.

One thing I think we all need to ask ourselves when we think of the ideal Steelers team is whether it is acceptable to have an OL that has put up the kind of protection #s this OL has put up the last couple years?

Yes, we have won 2 of the last 4 SBs. A lot of that has to do with the all-around talent that we have, OL included, and how they step up at the moment of truth. But, arguably, a lot of winning a SB has to do with timing and luck.

In my view, I KNEW the Steelers were going to win the SB this past season and a lot of that had to do with how well-rounded a team we had. But, I also knew that we were going to need some luck from some of the areas on the team that didn't have the greatest personnel. That's where the OL enters the discussion.

Is it merely acceptable to protect Ben with players who, while good, may not be the kind of universal good that could go to any other team in the league and start. If you are in the position that Colbert is in and you give your QB US$102M over a 7-year deal, are you going to guys blocking for him who are merely good? Or have an on/off switch? Or who do well enough at times, but can't seem to emerge as a leader in the league at their position?

FWIW, since Ben has been here the only player who qualifies in that category has been Faneca. The Steelers let him walk. I don't know about you, but what I have seen from Mack, he is EXACTLY the player the Steelers need. He is the best player at his position coming out and a player who, if he hits, can join a pretty special group of players (Mansfield, Webster, Dawson, Hartings) at his position for the Steelers.

Needless to say, if the Steelers have a shot at this kid in the draft I would be elated if the Steelers selected Alex Mack.

buckeyehoppy
03-12-2009, 12:00 AM
honestly, i'd rather see if one of the top 3 corners fall to us, and grab wood or luigs at the end of round 2.

that would leave us with two picks at the end of the 3rd to grab some beef for the D-line and maybe a look at some BPA type that has fallen down due to an injury or average pro-day workouts.

we have committed to a couple of tackles for next year, and have hills learning the ropes... is mack all that and a bag of apples compared to luigs, and worth giving up high picks to get?

You said "Grab Wood"...heh...heh...heh...heh...heh...heh...heh...

Kidding aside...Wood is a decent C as well. If the Steelers don't have a chance at Mack, they should have Wood somewhere on the radar.

Between Mack and Wood, getting one of them would be a feather in the cap. I do prefer Mack. But the draft has so many twists and turns that he is a definite "maybe" to be there at 1.32.

RuthlessBurgher
03-12-2009, 10:21 AM

When you say that you are hoping that one of the top 3 corners fall to us, who are you thinking about? Think the consensus top 2 corners are Malcolm Jenkins and Vontae Davis, and I think both will go in the top 20. But who is that third guy you are hoping might fall? Darius Butler? D.J. Moore? Alphonso Smith? I think all are borderline low 1 high 2 type guys. Good players, but not someone that I would take over Mack.

As for your other question, I think this is a very good center draft. There are a half dozen guys that could be good players on this level, and that is rare. However, I think there is only one that has the potential to be more than just a solid starter. I think Mack has Pro Bowl potential, and that is what I look for in my 1st round pick.

I think every first round pick we have taken this decade (with the exception of Kendall Simmons) had Pro Bowl potential. Burress, Hampton, Polamalu, Roethlisberger, Miller, Holmes, Timmons, Mendenhall. The first 4 (Plax, Casey, Troy, Ben) have been to Hawaii, the next 2 (Heath and Santonio) are primed to break out to that level, and the last 2 (Lawrence and Rashard) have shown some flashes of potential ability...we'll see how they do when they each get more of an opportunity to shine on the field.

Taking someone like Darius Butler or Ron Brace or Max Unger at 1.32 could get us a solid player. But I don't see Pro Bowl potential with those guys like I see with Alex Mack. I truly believe that Mack could be next in line of great Steeler centers (after a few down years at the center position, Mack could take the mantle of Mansfield, Webster, Dawson, and Hartings, and be the cornerstone of our o-line for the foreseeable future).

Lebsteel
03-12-2009, 12:21 PM

When you say that you are hoping that one of the top 3 corners fall to us, who are you thinking about? Think the consensus top 2 corners are Malcolm Jenkins and Vontae Davis, and I think both will go in the top 20. But who is that third guy you are hoping might fall? Darius Butler? D.J. Moore? Alphonso Smith? I think all are borderline low 1 high 2 type guys. Good players, but not someone that I would take over Mack.

As for your other question, I think this is a very good center draft. There are a half dozen guys that could be good players on this level, and that is rare. However, I think there is only one that has the potential to be more than just a solid starter. I think Mack has Pro Bowl potential, and that is what I look for in my 1st round pick.

I think every first round pick we have taken this decade (with the exception of Kendall Simmons) had Pro Bowl potential. Burress, Hampton, Polamalu, Roethlisberger, Miller, Holmes, Timmons, Mendenhall. The first 4 (Plax, Casey, Troy, Ben) have been to Hawaii, the next 2 (Heath and Santonio) are primed to break out to that level, and the last 2 (Lawrence and Rashard) have shown some flashes of potential ability...we'll see how they do when they each get more of an opportunity to shine on the field.

Taking someone like Darius Butler or Ron Brace or Max Unger at 1.32 could get us a solid player. But I don't see Pro Bowl potential with those guys like I see with Alex Mack. I truly believe that Mack could be next in line of great Steeler centers (after a few down years at the center position, Mack could take the mantle of Mansfield, Webster, Dawson, and Hartings, and be the cornerstone of our o-line for the foreseeable future).

:Agree :Clap

RuthlessBurgher
04-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Okay, after the Cutler trade, my full first round mock is now out of date, so it is time for an update to version 3.0.

And this time, instead of just the first round, we are going to go with the entire first day of the draft. Woo hoo!!!

4 Seattle Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech
5 Cleveland BJ Raji DT Boston College
6 Cincinnati Eugene Monroe OT Virginia
7 Oakland Darrius Heyward-Bey WR Maryland
8 Jacksonville Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri
9 Green Bay Michael Oher OT Mississippi
10 San Francisco Andre Smith OT Alabama
11 Buffalo Brian Orakpo OLB Texas
12 Denver Mark Sanchez QB USC
13 Washington Everette Brown DE Florida State
14 New Orleans Chris Wells RB Ohio State
15 Houston Vontae Davis CB Illinois
17 NY Jets Tyson Jackson DE LSU
18 Denver (from Chicago) Aaron Maybin OLB Penn State
19 Tampa Bay Josh Freeman QB Kansas State
22 Minnesota Darius Butler CB Connecticut
23 New England Rey Maualuga ILB USC
25 Miami Percy Harvin WR Florida
26 Baltimore Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State
27 Indianapolis Peria Jerry DT Mississippi
29 NY Giants Brian Cushing OLB USC
30 Tennessee Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech
31 Arizona Donald Brown RB Connecticut

33 Detroit Evander "Ziggy" Hood DT Missouri
34 New England (from Kansas City) Larry English OLB Northern Illinois
35 St. Louis James Laurinaitis ILB Ohio State
36 Cleveland Clay Matthews OLB USC
37 Seattle Alphonso Smith CB Wake Forest
38 Cincinnati Max Unger C Oregon
39 Jacksonville DJ Moore CB Vanderbilt
40 Oakland Robert Ayers DE Tennessee
41 Green Bay Ron Brace NT Boston College
42 Buffalo Jared Cook TE South Carolina
43 San Francisco Louis Delmas S Western Michigan
44 Miami (from Washington) Clint Sintim OLB Virginia
45 NY Giants (from New Orleans) Kenny Britt WR Rutgers
46 Houston William Moore S Missouri
47 New England (from San Diego) Sean Smith CB/S Utah
48 Denver Victor "Macho" Harris CB Virginia Tech
49 Chicago Hakeem Nicks WR North Carolina
50 Cleveland (from Tampa Bay) Eric Wood C Louisville
51 Dallas Rashad Johnson S Alabama
52 NY Jets Brian Robiskie WR Ohio State
53 Philadelphia Phil Loadholdt OT Oklahoma
54 Minnesota Jamon Meredith OT South Carolina
55 Atlanta Connor Barwin OLB Cincinnati
56 Miami Jairus Byrd CB Oregon
57 Baltimore Fili Moala DE USC
58 New England Andy Levitre OG Oregon State
59 Carolina Sen'Derrick Marks DT Auburn
60 NY Giants Patrick Chung S Oregon
61 Indianapolis LeSean McCoy RB Pittsburgh
62 Tennessee Derrick Williams WR Penn State
63 Arizona Cody Brown OLB Connecticut
64 Pittsburgh Jarron Gilbert DE San Jose State

Oviedo
04-08-2009, 10:56 AM
RB--I really believe that both Mack and Gilbert will be gone before we pick at 1.32 and 2.64 respectively.

I think our pool to choose from if you want OL and DL will be:

1.32: Unger, Brace, Robinson, Wood

2.64: Loadholdt, Urbik, Levitre, Meredith

steelcityrules!!
04-13-2009, 08:28 PM

as for the top 3 corners, my first instinct is to pencil in alphonso smith as #3. I'm also intrigued with butler, but not sure he's the exact schematic fit for us.

let me go on record as to say taking a guy like mack at #1 would NOT be a bad thing, and I would be stoked if we had a pro-bowl caliber center in there. I don't really want a jack of all trades like unger at #1, i'd rather take an un-belivable playmaker like Alphonso.

we're talking in another thread about skill players and how colbert reacts on day one of the draft, and I'd like to also say that if a guy like Ray M. of USC somehow took a tumble to the late 20's, that would be a real interesting scenario.

Oviedo
04-14-2009, 08:45 AM
More and more mocks are associating Eric Wood with our pick at 1.32. Wood seems to be a fast riser because during position drills he shows better ability to get into open space as he would have to as a pulling Guard.

RuthlessBurgher
04-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Another update with a few changes, but I still have us ultimately picking the same two guys.

3 Kansas City Eugene Monroe OT Virginia
4 Seattle Aaron Curry OLB Wake Forest
5 Cleveland Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech
6 Cincinnati Andre Smith OT Alabama
7 Oakland Darrius Heyward-Bey WR Maryland
8 Jacksonville Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri
9 Green Bay BJ Raji DT Boston College
10 San Francisco Michael Oher OT Mississippi
12 Denver Mark Sanchez QB USC
13 Washington Everette Brown DE Florida State
17 NY Jets Josh Freeman QB Kansas State
18 Denver (from Chicago) Tyson Jackson DE LSU
19 Tampa Bay Aaron Maybin OLB Penn State
23 New England Rey Maualuga ILB USC
25 Miami Percy Harvin WR Florida
26 Baltimore Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State
27 Indianapolis Peria Jerry DT Mississippi
29 NY Giants Brian Cushing OLB USC
30 Tennessee Robert Ayers DE Tennessee
31 Arizona Donald Brown RB Connecticut

33 Detroit Evander "Ziggy" Hood DT Missouri
34 New England (from Kansas City) Larry English OLB Northern Illinois
35 St. Louis James Laurinaitis ILB Ohio State
36 Cleveland Clay Matthews OLB USC
37 Seattle Alphonso Smith CB Wake Forest
38 Cincinnati Eric Wood C Louisville
40 Oakland Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech
41 Green Bay Clint Sintim OLB Virginia
44 Miami (from Washington) Ron Brace NT Boston College
47 New England (from San Diego) Max Unger C Oregon
48 Denver Connor Barwin OLB Cincinnati
50 Cleveland (from Tampa Bay) LeSean McCoy RB Pittsburgh
55 Atlanta Jairus Byrd CB Oregon
56 Miami Victor "Macho" Harris CB Virginia Tech
57 Baltimore Fili Moala DE USC
58 New England Sean Smith CB/S Utah
61 Indianapolis Mohamed Massaquoi WR Georgia
63 Arizona Andy Levitre OG Oregon State

I would be very happy with a first day haul of Mack and Gilbert, but look at the impressive first day drafts of our division rivals as well:

Baltimore: Malcolm Jenkins and Fili Moala

Cincinnati: Andre Smith and Eric Wood

Cleveland: Michael Crabtree, Clay Matthews, and LeSean McCoy

And then there is the evil empire in New England. It would suck if their first day was this good:

New England: Rey Maualuga, Larry English, Max Unger, and Sean Smith

Mel Blount's G
04-16-2009, 03:02 PM
I would be very happy with a first day haul of Mack and Gilbert, but look at the impressive first day drafts of our division rivals as well:

And then there is the evil empire in New England. It would suck if their first day was this good:

Yeah, me too. I'd be stoked to land Mack and Gilbert. But don't worry about other teams drafting good. Fact is, it appears to be a deep draft this year. But of course there will be busts and guys who struggle with the college-->pro transition. I do not see Mack as one of those though. The more I read and learn about him the more I'm really hoping he's there for us at 1.32. Could be the best investment we'll ever make in Ben's future!

PS: I still do not believe Mack will be there at 32. I don't expect the steelers will have the opportunity to get Mack unless they trade up which, of course, will not happen

RuthlessBurgher
04-16-2009, 04:19 PM

Yeah, me too. I'd be stoked to land Mack and Gilbert. But don't worry about other teams drafting good. Fact is, it appears to be a deep draft this year. But of course there will be busts and guys who struggle with the college-->pro transition. I do not see Mack as one of those though. The more I read and learn about him the more I'm really hoping he's there for us at 1.32. Could be the best investment we'll ever make in Ben's future!

PS: I still do not believe Mack will be there at 32. I don't expect the steelers will have the opportunity to get Mack unless they trade up which, of course, will not happen

Why don't you think they would trade up to get their guy if they really wanted him? The last time we were defending Super Bowl champs picking 32nd, we traded up to #25 to get Santonio.

grotonsteel
04-16-2009, 04:37 PM

Eagles or Cards might think of drafting a C.I don't see any other team drafting a C in 1st Rd . Dolphins and B-moron signed C in FA. MAck and Wood should be available at 1.32.

Mel Blount's G
04-16-2009, 07:56 PM

Why don't you think they would trade up to get their guy if they really wanted him? The last time we were defending Super Bowl champs picking 32nd, we traded up to #25 to get Santonio.
I don't think this FO considers it necessary to trade up to get a lineman. A skill or "special" guy like tonio of Troy? Yes. But I feel (it's really only a feeling - I have nothing objective to base this on) they believe lineman can be had in later rounds; if it's not Mack it will be someone else. Obviously this implies that Mack isn't "their guy"

Mel Blount's G
04-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Eagles or Cards might think of drafting a C.I don't see any other team drafting a C in 1st Rd . Dolphins and B-moron signed C in FA. MAck and Wood should be available at 1.32.
I don't necessarily consider what teams "need" like you are. I'm considering that Mack is being heralded by some pundits as the best lineman or center to be drafted in 25 years. To me, this makes him the bpa at any position earlier in round one. I really hope to look like a fool for saying this come draft day #1....

RuthlessBurgher
04-16-2009, 09:36 PM
[quote=RuthlessBurgher]I would be very happy with a first day haul of Mack and Gilbert, but look at the impressive first day drafts of our division rivals as well:

I don't think this FO considers it necessary to trade up to get a lineman. A skill or "special" guy like tonio of Troy? Yes. But I feel (it's really only a feeling - I have nothing objective to base this on) they believe lineman can be had in later rounds; if it's not Mack it will be someone else. Obviously this implies that Mack isn't "their guy"[/quote:576xtr1s]

He could be "their guy" though, since on the list of guys that brought in to visit their facility, Mack was one of only two guys with a solid first round grade:

Official
C Alex Mack (round 1)
CB Vontae Davis (round 1)
CB Alphonso Smith (round 1-2)
C Max Unger (round 1-2)
S Louis Delmas (round 2)
DE Jarron Gilbert (round 2)
G Andy Levitre (round 2-3)
DT Fili Moala (round 2-3)
OT Phil Loadholt (round 2-3)
CB Sherrod Martin (round 2-3)
LB Lawrence Sidbury (round 2-3)
OG Herman Johnson (round 3)
NT Dorrell Scott (round 3)
DT Sammie Lee Hill (round 3-4)
TE Richard Quinn (round 4)
CB Joe Burnett (round 4-5)
WR/RS Mike Thomas (round 4-5)
QB Nate Davis (Round 5)
CB Donald Washington (Round 5-6)
G Louis Vasquez (round 5-6)
DT Ra'Shon Harris (round 6-7)
FB Frank Summers (round 7 or FA)
CB Don Carey (round 7 or FA)
WR Jason Chery (round 7 or FA)
LB Spence Adkins (round 7 or FA)
WR Travis Shelton
DE Brandon Long

Rumor
DT Ron Brace (round 2)
CB Keenan Lewis (round 2-3)
CB Mike Mickens (round 2-3)
C/G Eric Wood (round 2-3)
G Tyronne Green (round 3-4)
CB Tony Carter (round 7 or FA)
CB Greg Toler (FA)

Non 30 Visit
C A.Q. Shipley (round 4)
LB Scot Mckillop (round 4-5)
C C.J. Davis (round 5-6)
CB Ellis Lankster (round 7 or FA)

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2009, 04:24 PM
We've already seen trades for Jay Cutler, Jason Peters, and Roy Williams alter the look of the first round. What about some other rumored trades?

Let's have a trade-happy mock draft!

Cleveland trades Braylon Edwards to the Giants for their first, fourth, and Mario Manningham (The Browns ain't getting a first and Kiwaunuka...keep dreaming...in terms of WR's, they preferred Steve Smith, but will settle for the swap of Wolverine wideouts)

Arizona trades Anquan Boldin to the Eagles for their remaining first round pick after the Peters trade, and two fifths (Philly has four 5th rounds right now, so they can afford to ship half of them to the desert)

Cincinnati trades Chad Ocho Cinco to the Raiders for their second and Michael Bush (both players are not sure how to react going from one inept organization to an equally inept organization)

Carolina trades Julius Peppers to the Patriots for their first and third (New England retains 3 second round draft picks)

Kansas City trades Tony Gonzalez and a seventh to the Falcons for the second and a fifth (the Falcons pray that the ageless wonder remains ageless)

Kansas City trades the 3rd overall pick to the Redskins for their first and third, plus a second in 2010 and Jason Campbell (this is what happens when Snyder develops a man-crush)

Kansas City trades the recently acquired Jason Campbell to the Niners for their fourth and sixth (three way competition between Campbell, Alex Smith, and Shaun Hill).

Jacksonville trades the 8th overall pick to the Broncos for their first of two picks in the first round and their first first of two picks in the third round (#12 and #79).

3 Washington (from Kansas City) Mark Sanchez QB USC
6 Cincinnati Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech
7 Oakland Andre Smith OT Alabama
8 Denver (from Jacksonville) BJ Raji DT Boston College
9 Green Bay Tyson Jackson DE LSU
10 San Francisco Michael Oher OT Mississippi
12 Jacksonville (from Denver) Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri
13 Kansas City (from Washington) Robert Ayers DE Tennessee
17 NY Jets Josh Freeman QB Kansas State
18 Denver (from Chicago) Everette Brown DE Florida State
19 Tampa Bay Rey Maualuga ILB USC
21 Arizona (from Philadelphia) Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia
23 Carolina (from New England) Aaron Maybin OLB Penn State
24 Atlanta Peria Jerry DT Mississippi
25 Miami Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State
27 Indianapolis Evander "Ziggy" Hood DT Missouri
28 Buffalo (from Carolina via Philadelphia) Duke Robinson OG Oklahoma
29 Cleveland (from NY Giants) Clay Matthews OLB USC
30 Tennessee Brian Cushing OLB USC
31 Arizona Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma St

33 Detroit James Laurinaitis ILB Ohio State
34 New England (from Kansas City) Donald Brown RB Connecticut
35 St. Louis Percy Harvin WR Florida
36 Cleveland Alphonso Smith CB Wake Forest
37 Seattle Clint Sintim OLB Virginia
38 Cincinnati Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech
40 Cincinnati (from Oakland) Eric Wood C Louisville
41 Green Bay Larry English OLB Northern Illinois
44 Miami (from Washington) Ron Brace NT Boston College
47 New England (from San Diego) Max Unger C Oregon
48 Denver Fili Moala DE USC
50 Cleveland (from Tampa Bay) LeSean McCoy RB Pittsburgh
55 Kansas City (from Atlanta) Andy Levitre OG Oregon State
56 Miami Jairus Byrd CB Oregon
57 Baltimore Connor Barwin OLB Cincinnati
58 New England Sean Smith CB/S Utah
61 Indianapolis Mohamed Massaquoi WR Georgia
63 Arizona Victor "Macho" Harris CB Virginia Tech

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Cleveland trades Braylon Edwards to the Giants for their first, fourth, and Mario Manningham (The Browns ain't getting a first and Kiwaunuka...keep dreaming...in terms of WR's, they preferred Steve Smith, but will settle for the swap of Wolverine wideouts)

Arizona trades Anquan Boldin to the Eagles for their remaining first round pick after the Peters trade, and two fifths (Philly has four 5th rounds right now, so they can afford to ship half of them to the desert)

Cincinnati trades Chad Ocho Cinco to the Raiders for their second and Michael Bush (both players are not sure how to react going from one inept organization to an equally inept organization)

Carolina trades Julius Peppers to the Patriots for their first and third (New England retains 3 second round draft picks)

Kansas City trades Tony Gonzalez and a seventh to the Falcons for the second and a fifth (the Falcons pray that the ageless wonder remains ageless)

Kansas City trades the 3rd overall pick to the Redskins for their first and third, plus a second in 2010 and Jason Campbell (this is what happens when Snyder develops a man-crush)

Kansas City trades the recently acquired Jason Campbell to the Niners for their fourth and sixth (three way competition between Campbell, Alex Smith, and Shaun Hill).

Jacksonville trades the 8th overall pick to the Broncos for their first of two picks in the first round and their first first of two picks in the third round (#12 and #79).

Well, I got the teams right...just a bit off the compensation package.

Gonzalez to the Falcons for a 2nd rounder in 2010.

Sugar
04-23-2009, 06:29 PM
:shock: OK, is anyone else here just a little dizzy after all that or is it just me?

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2009, 09:05 PM
:shock: OK, is anyone else here just a little dizzy after all that or is it just me?

Just think...you only had to read it. Imagine how dizzy I must be after coming up with all that!

http://images.zaazu.com/img/male20-male-cross-eye-dizzy-smiley-emoticon-000062-design.gif

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2009, 04:30 PM
On Draft Eve, it is time for the Final Two-Round Mock Draft:

2 St Louis Eugene Monroe OT Virginia
3 Kansas City BJ Raji DT Boston College
4 Seattle Mark Sanchez QB USC
6 Cincinnati Jason Smith OT Baylor
7 Oakland Andre Smith OT Alabama
8 Jacksonville Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech
9 Green Bay Tyson Jackson DE LSU