PDA

View Full Version : Combine (Steelers) related news

calmkiller
02-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Scout.com

8:30 p.m.: Before slapping the franchise tag on Max Starks, Steelers DOFO Kevin Colbert answered every single question right here.

1:45 p.m.: I didn't think Cal center Alex Mack looked 6-4 at the Senior Bowl, and I was right! He checked in today at 6-3 7/8. Speaking of measurements, Penn State center A.Q. Shipley checked in at rather short 6-1 but agreed that if it wasn't a problem for the great Mike Webster, it shouldn't be a problem for him.

Shipley, of course, played HS ball at nearby Moon with Webster's son Garrett, and A.Q. has heard the comparison made before. Shipley is also a Steelers fan and said the team talked to him last night. In other quick notes, A.Q. said he's played plenty of guard in practice at Penn State, and agreed that his Rose Bowl game may have been the best of his career.

1:15 p.m.: William Beatty, the undersized-but-athletic left tackle from UConn, grew up in York, Pa., as a Steelers fan. He said his entire family cheers for the Steelers, and has alerted William to the fact that they're drafting 32nd, which is where many analysts range Beatty.

Beatty will have to add more weight, however. He played at the Senior Bowl at 291 pounds, but said he was sick from travel and had lost weight heading in. Beatty entered UConn at 267 and said he has no trouble adding weight. My opinion? His frame doesn't make me think the pounds will be easy to add.

Oviedo
02-20-2009, 10:07 AM
I like Shipley in the mid rounds. He has the positional flexibility that Tomlin continually talks about.

Mack would be an ideal 1.32 choice but I think Miami or someone else grabs him before us.

No way with Beatty. I also doubt he can get up into the 310 to 320 range he would need to. He probably maxed out his weight. I'd take Britton or Loadholdt at 1.32 before him and guys like Kropog or Tupou later.

RuthlessBurgher
02-20-2009, 10:11 AM
8:30 p.m.: Before slapping the franchise tag on Max Starks, Steelers DOFO Kevin Colbert answered every single question right here.

1:45 p.m.: I didn't think Cal center Alex Mack looked 6-4 at the Senior Bowl, and I was right! He checked in today at 6-3 7/8. Speaking of measurements, Penn State center A.Q. Shipley checked in at rather short 6-1 but agreed that if it wasn't a problem for the great Mike Webster, it shouldn't be a problem for him.

Shipley, of course, played HS ball at nearby Moon with Webster's son Garrett, and A.Q. has heard the comparison made before. Shipley is also a Steelers fan and said the team talked to him last night. In other quick notes, A.Q. said he's played plenty of guard in practice at Penn State, and agreed that his Rose Bowl game may have been the best of his career.

1:15 p.m.: William Beatty, the undersized-but-athletic left tackle from UConn, grew up in York, Pa., as a Steelers fan. He said his entire family cheers for the Steelers, and has alerted William to the fact that they're drafting 32nd, which is where many analysts range Beatty.

Beatty will have to add more weight, however. He played at the Senior Bowl at 291 pounds, but said he was sick from travel and had lost weight heading in. Beatty entered UConn at 267 and said he has no trouble adding weight. My opinion? His frame doesn't make me think the pounds will be easy to add.

Whose quotes are these?

calmkiller
02-20-2009, 10:18 AM
They are from scout.com

Is there a problem with me posting these? Do I need to remove them?

pfelix73
02-20-2009, 10:34 AM
I disagree regarding Beatty. I think he will be a fine NFL player and he also has a good head on his shoulders as he is very smart and his parents are both pastors.

He's from my hometown and so is BA.

Problem is, with Starks franchised, we're really not in the hunt for a OT at this point at 32. IMO.

MeetJoeGreene
02-20-2009, 10:42 AM
I like Shipley in the mid rounds. He has the positional flexibility that Tomlin continually talks about.

Mack would be an ideal 1.32 choice but I think Miami or someone else grabs him before us.

No way with Beatty. I also doubt he can get up into the 310 to 320 range he would need to. He probably maxed out his weight. I'd take Britton or Loadholdt at 1.32 before him and guys like Kropog or Tupou later.

I have become really enamored/intrigued with Kropog the more I read about him.

RuthlessBurgher
02-20-2009, 10:50 AM
They are from scout.com

No problem with it. I just like to know the source of the information. Some reporters tend do their homework and know their stuff, while others just seem to pull stuff out of their butt more often than not. Knowing the source of such observations helps to know how much credence I should put in this information, that's all. Whenever I quote a story I find on the web, I always try to include a link.

pfelix73
02-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Agreed on the guy from Tulane..... C-USA. late 2nd round possibility....

calmkiller
02-20-2009, 12:25 PM
They are from scout.com

No problem with it. I just like to know the source of the information. Some reporters tend do their homework and know their stuff, while others just seem to pull stuff out of their butt more often than not. Knowing the source of such observations helps to know how much credence I should put in this information, that's all. Whenever I quote a story I find on the web, I always try to include a link.

10-4 understandable, Its scout insider info, cant link unless u subscribe. I will state the location tho in future posts and edit ones currently in place.

WoodleyofTroy
02-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Yes to Mack - For obvious reasons.

No to Shipley - I'm sick of these mid/late round Offensive Lineman that end up being released in year one like Marvin Phillip. The Steelers have had no luck lately here (OL), and it's time to stop messing around and solidify it early to break the trend. I'd use the late rounds on the best RB or WR/CB/KR, and hope they turn out oppose to gambling on Ben's life every year.

Yes to Beatty. This is a Lawrence Timmons pick. Not as safe as a Alex Mack who is the closest thing you'd get to a finished product in the draft (you know what you're getting), but the potential not only to be good, but dominant. I love the fact that there are also no if's or but's about it, he's a pass blocking Left Tackle. What this team needs. Let him sit behind Starks for a year (i.e. Foote to Timmons).

steelblood
02-20-2009, 02:16 PM
I disagree regarding Beatty. I think he will be a fine NFL player and he also has a good head on his shoulders as he is very smart and his parents are both pastors.

Problem is, with Starks franchised, we're really not in the hunt for a OT at this point at 32. IMO.

He looked very weak at the senior bowl. He was manhandled and outquicked.

Oviedo
02-20-2009, 02:22 PM

Yes he was. He got pushed around a lot.

NC Steeler Fan
02-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Damn, this is the time of year when I kinda hate that I absolutely
do not follow college ball. :?

Who? Wha..? Where? Hmmm....um, okay.... :lol:

Iron Shiek
02-20-2009, 03:16 PM

I'm with you NCSF. I follow college ball but don't really get too intimate with many of the players if they don't play for the buckeyes. So its good that we have some very knowledgable people here on the Planet to fill us in on potential future Steelers.

Thanks planet community. :tt2

RKSteel
02-20-2009, 03:25 PM

Who? Wha..? Where? Hmmm....um, okay.... :lol:I don't follow college football either, but here are some decent post reponses:

That's an excellent mock.

That would be a great draft if we get [insert name] and [insert name] in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

I have Alex Mack going higher...

Hope that helped. :D

Iron Shiek
02-20-2009, 03:27 PM

Who? Wha..? Where? Hmmm....um, okay.... :lol:I don't follow college football either, but here are some decent post reponses:

That's an excellent mock.

That would be a great draft if we get [insert name] and [insert name] in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

I have Alex Mack going higher...

Hope that helped. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice RK...I have those noted...I don't even have a mock...but I will self proclaim it as excellent nonetheless.

Chadman
02-20-2009, 07:37 PM

Yes he was. He got pushed around a lot.

Yes he did. So did Kropog from Tulane. Scratch both.

Jason Watkins looked solid though.

fordfixer
02-21-2009, 10:59 AM

:Agree Umm I mean I have Alex Mack going higher... :lol: :lol:

Steel Life
02-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Yes he did. So did Kropog from Tulane. Scratch both.

Jason Watkins looked solid though.
Watkins only put up 18 reps...these are not road grader numbers.

pfelix73
02-21-2009, 12:36 PM
What about the guard from Auburn? How well did he play in the game? Green, I think his name is.