PDA

View Full Version : Steelers could be interested in PSU Center

Oviedo
02-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Steelers show interest in Penn State center
Buzz up!By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, February 20, 2009
INDIANAPOLIS -- Joe Paterno told A.Q. Shipley he could be a good defensive tackle in college. But in selling the idea of a position switch to Shipley, the legendary Penn State coach told him he could play 10 years at the next level as a center.

Shipley is hoping to convince NFL coaches and general managers of the same thing.

The Moon High School graduate met with about 20 teams, including the Steelers, Wednesday night. He is trying to make enough of an impression during the NFL Scouting Combine and subsequent workouts and interviews to hear his name called fairly early during the league's draft, April 25 and 26.

Shipley said he has been told he could be picked from the second to the sixth round.

The Steelers may have a need at center, and Shipley's connection to them goes beyond his rooting for the team while growing up in suburban Pittsburgh.

Shipley went to high school and played sports with the son of former Steelers great Mike Webster. And, like Webster, Shipley is considered a little undersized for a center coming out of college.

His height -- Shipley said he measured just over 6-1 yesterday -- may work against him. But Shipley said he thrives on proving people wrong.

"I've had a chip on my shoulder my whole life," Shipley said. "I just want the opportunity to play in this league and play against the best."

Shipley, a three-year starter for the Nittany Lions, last season won the Rimington Trophy, given to the top center in the country.

Not bad for a player who was at best a reluctant center when he moved to the offensive line following his freshman season at Penn State.

"It worked out for the best," Shipley said. "And I came to the realization that I actually like offense more than I like defense."

MeetJoeGreene
02-20-2009, 09:26 AM
I love the heart, character, and leadership of AQ. And he is good. I am not sure he is big enough/strong enough to be a really good center at the pro level.

And I am a PSU Homer.

calmkiller
02-20-2009, 09:37 AM
So what about his size is bad? I know nothing about PSU, 6'1 isn't that short. Is he light in the gut?

I would like to see Mack fall to us, but if he doesn't I guess we have to have a backup plan. Right now it looks like this guy is a 5th rounder.

MeetJoeGreene
02-20-2009, 09:48 AM
So what about his size is bad? I know nothing about PSU, 6'1 isn't that short. Is he light in the gut?

I would like to see Mack fall to us, but if he doesn't I guess we have to have a backup plan. Right now it looks like this guy is a 5th rounder.

I think he is "only" 295-ish. And I don't think he can add much more bulk without getting fat and impeding his athletisicm.

RuthlessBurgher
02-20-2009, 09:50 AM
I liked this line: "Shipley said he has been told he could be picked from the second to the sixth round." Way to narrow it down, fellas. Not first round or last round. Got it. :lol:

calmkiller
02-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Alright thanks MJG, I sounds like WVU offensive linemen. Fast but no power. I would assume that is a good assumption.

Chadman
02-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Nothing wrong with Shipley being the 'fall back' option.

The more Chadman thinks about it, the less ilkely Alex Mack falling to #32 becomes.

Right now, Chadman is thinking Duke Robinson, Max Unger, Phil Loadholt or even Ziggy Hood might be 'the' option at #32. Might have to think about the CB's though- one might sneak into consideration yet...

Oviedo
02-20-2009, 09:58 AM

The more Chadman thinks about it, the less ilkely Alex Mack falling to #32 becomes.

Right now, Chadman is thinking Duke Robinson, Max Unger, Phil Loadholt or even Ziggy Hood might be 'the' option at #32. Might have to think about the CB's though- one might sneak into consideration yet...

I really think that my toip choices of Mack and Tyson Jackson will be gone by 1.32.

If that is the case and we decide to go OL then I would likely lean towards Phil Loadholdt and move him inside. His height (6'8") may be a problem inside but the guy is a beast.

Another name to consider for DL at 1.32 is Peria Jerry.

I do agree however if mack is gone I could very well see CB in Round 1.

My preference however would be to trade down to the early 2nd and add another pick to package to move up from 2.64. That way we maybe get early and mid second round which would allow us to get tow players in Round 2 that could help at OL or DL or CB.

RuthlessBurgher
02-20-2009, 10:07 AM

I really think that my toip choices of Mack and Tyson Jackson will be gone by 1.32.

If that is the case and we decide to go OL then I would likely lean towards Phil Loadholdt and move him inside. His height (6'8") may be a problem inside but the guy is a beast.

My preference however would be to trade down to the early 2nd and add another pick to package to move up from 2.64. That way we maybe get early and mid second round which would allow us to get tow players in Round 2 that could help at OL or DL or CB.

I don't see where Jerry would fit in a 3-4. He is 6'1" 290 lbs. Too light for a 3-4 NT, and too short for a 3-4 DE. I think Jerry could be a hot commodity for 4-3 teams, though, and I think he could go off in the middle of round 1 before Mack or Jackson, so I don't think we will have to worry about it.

Oviedo
02-20-2009, 10:10 AM

I don't see where Jerry would fit in a 3-4. He is 6'1" 290 lbs. Too light for a 3-4 NT, and too short for a 3-4 DE. I think Jerry could be a hot commodity for 4-3 teams, though, and I think he could go off in the middle of round 1 before Mack or Jackson, so I don't think we will have to worry about it.

I thought Jerry was taller but you are right he won't fit.

RussBII
02-20-2009, 10:40 AM
I really like ex DLs that have moved over to OL. They tend to be way nastier.

Edit: Provided they are good OLs.

flippy
02-20-2009, 10:44 AM

I think he is "only" 295-ish. And I don't think he can add much more bulk without getting fat and impeding his athletisicm.

I kinda like small/quick guys that can use leverage at the center position.

Until they have to line up across from a Casey Hampton.

MeetJoeGreene
02-20-2009, 11:27 AM

I kinda like small/quick guys that can use leverage at the center position.

Until they have to line up across from a Casey Hampton.

but we have a couple of other big nose-tackles in our division as well.

grotonsteel
02-20-2009, 12:43 PM
We need big and ugly O-Linemen. Steelers have to face big DTs in AFC North.

I feel Steelers should take a look at Duke if Mack is not available.

On another board there was some news that Steelers were seen talking with Alex Boone.

Oviedo
02-20-2009, 12:51 PM

On another board there was some news that Steelers were seen talking with Alex Boone.

Phil Loadholdt is 6'8" 343lbs. I'd rather see him than Duke. Even though he is tall for a Guard he is a mauler who physically dominantes like you want at Guard. Alsdo keep in mind that our QB isn't a classic sit in the pocket passer so having a tall Guard probably would effect him less than someone like Manning. Ben slides in the pocket. Could evolve into a a decent RT too.

Boone has a drinking problem. I can't see anyway the Steelers touch this guy. He will never make it with the pressure to perform in the NFL.

RuthlessBurgher
02-20-2009, 01:01 PM

Phil Loadholdt is 6'8" 343lbs. I'd rather see him than Duke. Even though he is tall for a Guard he is a mauler who physically dominantes like you want at Guard. Alsdo keep in mind that our QB isn't a classic sit in the pocket passer so having a tall Guard probably would effect him less than someone like Manning. Ben slides in the pocket. Could evolve into a a decent RT too.

Boone has a drinking problem. I can't see anyway the Steelers touch this guy. He will never make it with the pressure to perform in the NFL.

The guard I like is Kraig Urbik out of Wisconsin, because you won't need to use your first round pick on him.

grotonsteel
02-20-2009, 02:12 PM

I think Steelers might take Phil in Rd 2.

Oviedo
02-20-2009, 02:28 PM

They would likely have to trade up in Round 2 to get him. If they sit at 2.64 then the most likely Guards available will be: Urbik, Levitre, Johnson or Canfield. The most likely Tackles available will be Kropog, Tupou or Watkins.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-20-2009, 03:24 PM

I agree!!! I think Loadholdt slides to the end of the 2nd. His workout won't be all that impressive. Make him a RT and move Colon inside.

MeetJoeGreene
02-20-2009, 09:12 PM
According to this site he is 304 and did 33 reps. Not bad...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/combine/c.html

Lebsteel
02-20-2009, 09:58 PM

MJG, I'm a PSU homer, but I'd be a little concerned about Shipley's short arms and small hands. Wood and Mack look like the perfect size to handle the big, ugly NTs in the AFC North. I'd like to see Mack's BP reps, but we'll have to wait until his Pro Day. 30 for Wood is very respectable given his arm length. Unger and Caldwell are a little on the weak side as far as BP reps go.

MeetJoeGreene
02-21-2009, 10:50 AM

MJG, I'm a PSU homer, but I'd be a little concerned about Shipley's short arms and small hands. Wood and Mack look like the perfect size to handle the big, ugly NTs in the AFC North. I'd like to see Mack's BP reps, but we'll have to wait until his Pro Day. 30 for Wood is very respectable given his arm length. Unger and Caldwell are a little on the weak side as far as BP reps go.

I am with you. In an earlier post in this thread I expressed reservations about A.Q. I just wanted to post his results.... his bench was better than I expected....

RuthlessBurgher
02-21-2009, 01:34 PM

Yup...Shipley has the shortest arms of any o-lineman at the combine (29 3/4"). Short arms are great for bench press numbers (33 reps), but are detrimental out on the football field.

For comparison's sake, Herman Johnson has the longest arms (36 1/2"). Long arms are make the bench press difficult (21 reps), but are helpful out on the football field.

dirt
02-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Found this on a PSU fan site. So my question is who do we trust, the scouts or the ol coaches?

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2009/2/21/767195/nfl-combine-update

I'm sitting here watching the NFL combine. And yes, I'm drifting in and out of sleep as I do, but A.Q. Shipley is working out for the scouts. He did 33 reps on the bench press which only four other guys were able to top.

In the 40 he ran a 5.19. But what was interesting was the comments by the announcers. They are saying if you talk to any scout they hate Shipley because he's only 6'1" and he has the shortest arms in the combine at only 29.5". But if you talk to any offensive line coach they love him because of his film. The commentator said if you pop in the Rose Bowl tape by the end of the game you can see that Rey Maualuga had absolutely had enough of Shipley. They are saying Shipley will be a starter in the league.

The NFL Network lists Shipley as the #4 center in the draft.

RuthlessBurgher
02-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Found this on a PSU fan site. So my question is who do we trust, the scouts or the ol coaches?

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2009/2/21/767195/nfl-combine-update

I'm sitting here watching the NFL combine. And yes, I'm drifting in and out of sleep as I do, but A.Q. Shipley is working out for the scouts. He did 33 reps on the bench press which only four other guys were able to top.

In the 40 he ran a 5.19. But what was interesting was the comments by the announcers. They are saying if you talk to any scout they hate Shipley because he's only 6'1" and he has the shortest arms in the combine at only 29.5". But if you talk to any offensive line coach they love him because of his film. The commentator said if you pop in the Rose Bowl tape by the end of the game you can see that Rey Maualuga had absolutely had enough of Shipley. They are saying Shipley will be a starter in the league.

The NFL Network lists Shipley as the #4 center in the draft.

Well, Shipley won the Rimington Trophy as college football's top center last season, so we know that he can play at that level. However, Marvin Philip also won the Rimington Trophy the year that we drafted him, and he did absolutely nothing at this level. Short arms are not good...they are making me re-think about whether or not I would consider somebody like Eben Britton to be worthy of a 1st round pick should he be available (I didn't realize that his arms were so short until the combine numbers started rolling in).