PDA

View Full Version : Potential CB options in the draft....

mshifko
02-19-2009, 11:00 PM
i haven't hit my pre-draft stuff yet, just curious to see the rankings of the cornerbacks in this year's draft...

with b-mac more than likely taking big money elsewhere, this leaves us in a position to draft a corner early...

any ideas on who would we potentially draft if we went this route?

Mister Pittsburgh
02-20-2009, 12:47 AM
CB Sean Smith 2nd Rnder?
CB D.J. Moore 1st Rnder?

WoodleyofTroy
02-20-2009, 08:58 AM
The guys I want the Steelers to look at, and my overall favorite Corners of the draft, who are also great Kick Returners.

Darius Butler 5-10, 182 UConn (2nd round)
Domonique Johnson 6-2, 200 Jackson State (3rd/4th round)

I don't see the Steelers taking a first round corner. But if we truly wanted to replace Bryant McFadden and mimic the round he was drafted in, Darius Butler would fit that bill at the end of the 2nd...if he's there. Being a Big East fan I got to see a lot of William Gay, and I remember watching him at Louisville, thinking he would be a good Nickle Corner off the bat (New England Patriot like) making plays. As you can tell, I was very happy in the 5th round that year when we got him. Butler is ten times that. Has great hands (use to be a WR), and his cover skills just looked effort less out there. Hard to describe, if you watched him during the game (Pitt vs Conn for one) you could just tell he had it. Not sure what he's going to do at the combine, but he could very well go in the top of the 2nd putting us out of reach.

Top 10-15 range:
Malcolm Jenkins 6-0, 180 Ohio State
Vontae Davis 6-0, 205 Illinois

#15-#32
D.J. Moore 5-10, 182 Vanderbilt
Alphonso Smith 5-9, 195 Wake Forest

1st round sleeper / Top 10 of the 2nd:
Sean Smith 6-2, 215 Utah (probably a Free Safety)

2nd/3rd round guys:
Victor Harris 5-11, 192 Virginia Tech
Coye Francies 6-1, 185 San Jose State
Jairus Byrd 6-0, 205 Oregon
Mike Mickens 5-11, 170 Cincinnati
Asher Allen 5-10, 200 Georgia
Bruce Johnson 5-10, 175 Miami
Keenan Lewis 6-1, 200 Oregon State

3rd-5th:
Captain Munnerlyn 5-9, 190 South Carolina
Jerraud Powers 5-9, 190 Auburn
Ryan Palmer 5-9, 190 Texas
Donald Washington 5-11, 195 Ohio State
Sherrod Martin 6-0, 191 Troy
Joe Burnett 5-11, 185 Central Florida
Cary Harris 6-0, 180 USC

WoodleyofTroy
02-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks for starting this thread by the way. I'd like to use this to keep updates at the Combine in how these Corners test out and who the Steelers may be keeping an eye on / bringing in for looks....instead of starting another thread.

calmkiller
02-20-2009, 09:14 AM
I don't really know much about the corners this year. I know Ellis Lankster from WVU is going to be in the draft and he had a pretty good Senior Bowl. 1 int and some return yards. But he wasn't invited to the combine. He will probably be a FA if anyone does take a look at him. Sadly.

Oviedo
02-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Joe Burnett and Keenan Lewis. Burnett immediately helps the return game.

Burnett is a better player coming out of UCF than Asante Samuel was.

Analysis
Positives: Confident and a leader on the field. ... Stronger than you'd expect for his size. ... Good vertical, able to make a play on jump balls. ... Solid hands for the interception and is elusive enough to make yardage after the catch. ... Good recovery and closing speed -- is never out of a play. ... Nice hand-eye coordination to break up passes. ... Quality kickoff and punt returner because he has solid hands, good vision and patience, hits the open lane hard, makes the first man miss and runs through arm tackles.

Negatives: A bit small and light to handle larger NFL receivers, although he has a good lower-body build. ... Lacks elite top-end speed. ... Not particularly strong on the line and struggles to get off blocks. ... Brings pressure as a blitzer but does not finish off the quarterback. ... Usually plays off the receiver in order to get cushion on deep routes. ... More of a cut tackler, does not wrap up often enough. ... Probably best in a zone system with help over the top. ... Is not a typical pro punt returner with great speed and quickness.

Iron Shiek
02-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for starting this thread by the way. I'd like to use this to keep updates at the Combine in how these Corners test out and who the Steelers may be keeping an eye on / bringing in for looks....instead of starting another thread.

Good lookin out WoT. And might I suggest to the mods that perhaps we start "Position of Interest -- CB" or "Position of Interest -- OT" threads started and stickied. Then have a list of the guys at the combine similar to how WoT listed in his post above with potential round and measurables and school and what not. Then as the combine progresses, we can all add our comments regarding players that are at those positions.

I don't do much draft scouting and rely on you guys who are good at it. It makes it cleaner to be able to find specific position breakdowns (of Steelers interest) in one place.

Cheers. :Cheers

mshifko
02-21-2009, 01:01 PM
i never thought about that guys...that would be a good idea to sticky threads related to positions in the draft...hook us up MODS :Bow

flippy
02-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Macho Harris is a great fit for the Steelers and has huge upside.

And he's a tremendous athlete that would be a fantastic return man on day 1.

dirt
02-23-2009, 02:22 PM
The guys I want the Steelers to look at, and my overall favorite Corners of the draft, who are also great Kick Returners.

Darius Butler 5-10, 182 UConn (2nd round)
Domonique Johnson 6-2, 200 Jackson State (3rd/4th round)

I don't see the Steelers taking a first round corner. But if we truly wanted to replace Bryant McFadden and mimic the round he was drafted in, Darius Butler would fit that bill at the end of the 2nd...if he's there. Being a Big East fan I got to see a lot of William Gay, and I remember watching him at Louisville, thinking he would be a good Nickle Corner off the bat (New England Patriot like) making plays. As you can tell, I was very happy in the 5th round that year when we got him. Butler is ten times that. Has great hands (use to be a WR), and his cover skills just looked effort less out there. Hard to describe, if you watched him during the game (Pitt vs Conn for one) you could just tell he had it. Not sure what he's going to do at the combine, but he could very well go in the top of the 2nd putting us out of reach.

Top 10-15 range:
Malcolm Jenkins 6-0, 180 Ohio State
Vontae Davis 6-0, 205 Illinois

#15-#32
D.J. Moore 5-10, 182 Vanderbilt
Alphonso Smith 5-9, 195 Wake Forest

1st round sleeper / Top 10 of the 2nd:
Sean Smith 6-2, 215 Utah (probably a Free Safety)

2nd/3rd round guys:
Victor Harris 5-11, 192 Virginia Tech
Coye Francies 6-1, 185 San Jose State
Jairus Byrd 6-0, 205 Oregon
Mike Mickens 5-11, 170 Cincinnati
Asher Allen 5-10, 200 Georgia
Bruce Johnson 5-10, 175 Miami
Keenan Lewis 6-1, 200 Oregon State

3rd-5th:
Captain Munnerlyn 5-9, 190 South Carolina
Jerraud Powers 5-9, 190 Auburn
Ryan Palmer 5-9, 190 Texas
Donald Washington 5-11, 195 Ohio State
Sherrod Martin 6-0, 191 Troy
Joe Burnett 5-11, 185 Central Florida
Cary Harris 6-0, 180 USC

According to Lolley's blog today,http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/ Wexell mentioned that the steelers spent time talking with Coye Francies and Darius Butler at the combine.

steelernation77
02-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Coye Francies had a great Senior Bowl week. I don't think he'd be a available at 64.

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Coye Francies had a great Senior Bowl week. I don't think he'd be a available at 64.

Wasn't he kicked out of Oregon State after he was arrested for possession of a loaded firearm? The Steelers typically try to avoid guys like this.

WoodleyofTroy
02-23-2009, 02:32 PM

He also goes to the same school as Jarron Gilbert. San Jose State. Eventhough he has some character issues with questionable intelligence, he's still in the top 6-7 of CB's with that size and atheliticism. Curious to see what they say about him tomorrow.

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2009, 02:34 PM

He also goes to the same school as Jarron Gilbert. San Jose State. Eventhough he has some character issues with questionable intelligence, he's still in the top 6-7 of CB's with that size and atheliticism. Curious to see what they say about him tomorrow.

Well, if it comes down to a choice between the two San Jose State boys at #64, I'm all over Gilbert.

steelernation77
02-23-2009, 02:35 PM

I found his profile on draftcountdown.com interesting. It said he has questionable intelligence, but he plans to pursue a masters in biology? The gun thing is certainly a worry.

Darius Butler also looks good.

Chadman
02-23-2009, 09:45 PM
THe only real prospect that might be 'value' at #32 if he falls is Alphonso Smith- he might fall if teams are scared away by his small school status.

Otherwise, the Steelers likely will 'over draft' a CB like COye Francis if they pick one at #32.

At #64 there are a couple of options- Mike Mickens & Cary Harris come to mind, or Jarius Byrd. If they want a guy like Darius Butler or Macho Harris, they'll need to trade up.

In the 3rd round, guys like Keenan Lewis, Domonique Johnson, DeAngelo Smith & Bradley Fletcher are possible.

All these names could contribute on Day 1 in some way, shape or form.

One lower round guy that Chadman likes in Keenan Lewis' CB partner Brandon Hughes. He kind of reminds Chadman of a Deshea Townsend/ William Gay 'value' type pick in the middle to lower rounds that will be able to hold a roster spot easily & contribute when called upon.

At this point, Chadman is thinking that targeting Mike Mickens at the end of Round 2 could be the best option at CB- you get starting quality without overdrafting a player. His teammate DeAngelo Smith might offer best 'value' in Round 3 after that.

mshifko
02-23-2009, 10:01 PM
the corners work out tomorrow so we'll have a better understanding of who we may go after in the early rounds...i just don't have a good feeling that b-mac will be here next year

the key to drafting a steelers CB is being able to tackle...in a 3-4 scheme your CB's have to be able to fly down and make plays at the LOS and perimeter...so try not to get too blown away with 40 times, i'm looking for guys with a lot of tape and tackling ability...coverage comes first, but lets not overlook this fact...

Discipline of Steel
02-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Any more info on Darius Butler? He would be in the mix as a return guy but it looks like we would have to trade up in the second round to get him.

WoodleyofTroy
02-24-2009, 12:22 PM
THe only real prospect that might be 'value' at #32 if he falls is Alphonso Smith- he might fall if teams are scared away by his small school status.

Otherwise, the Steelers likely will 'over draft' a CB like COye Francis if they pick one at #32.

Wake Forest isn't a small school. They're in the ACC. Besides, if anything, being from a smaller school actually increases your stock because your not surrounded by talent, you standout, and you can't hide your weaknesses. If you look at the 1st round every year, a lot of the blue chip names come from the Troy's, Troy State, Boise State, Kansas, Boston College, North Carolina, Virginia, Texas Tech, Baylor, and Maryland's, smaller schools than your elite programs where there is too much talent. Those guys tend to drop in the 2nd and 3rd.

As far as the Steelers overdrafting, something Colbert has pointed out that he doesn't do, Francies won't be the guy due to some character concerns. Darius Butler would be a more likely option there.

mshifko
02-24-2009, 02:35 PM
malcolm jenkins didn't improve his draft stock at all and he just may fall out of the top 10...in his case, his 40 time was important, he ran between a 4.52-4.59...not a big deal for me, i know the guy can play, but he may slip a little bit to the 15-20 range...vontae davis just may leap frog him and be selected in the top 10...

Iron Shiek
02-24-2009, 03:07 PM
shifko...this is unfortunate for Jenkins. I think he will do better at his pro day to be honest. But if he slides down far enough...is there possibility of us trading up to get him? I doubt it since we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot by giving up 2nd/3rd round picks where we need to get OL/DL help. Its worth a look though...

papillon
02-24-2009, 03:28 PM
shifko...this is unfortunate for Jenkins. I think he will do better at his pro day to be honest. But if he slides down far enough...is there possibility of us trading up to get him? I doubt it since we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot by giving up 2nd/3rd round picks where we need to get OL/DL help. Its worth a look though...

The Steelers probably would only move up in the draft to fulfill a need in a similar fashion that they did with Troy and Santonio. In each instance their positions were positions of need and those players were the #1 players at their positions on the Steelers draft card. They moved up and got their men.

I only see the Steelers moving up for an offensive lineman or a defensive lineman and probably only for a defensive lineman. The draft seems to be deep in offensive linemen, so, the Steelers can probably wait and get the player the want. The defensive line is a different story from what I'm hearing and in particular 34 defensive linemen.

Pappy

Oviedo
02-24-2009, 03:43 PM
malcolm jenkins didn't improve his draft stock at all and he just may fall out of the top 10...in his case, his 40 time was important, he ran between a 4.52-4.59...not a big deal for me, i know the guy can play, but he may slip a little bit to the 15-20 range...vontae davis just may leap frog him and be selected in the top 10...

Way too much emphasis on the 40. I think last year someone said that the difference between a 4.4 and 4.5 over 40 yards is like 2 feet. I think 40 times in our defense are even less important. If Jenkins was there at 1.32 we should take him.

mshifko
02-24-2009, 05:47 PM

Way too much emphasis on the 40. I think last year someone said that the difference between a 4.4 and 4.5 over 40 yards is like 2 feet. I think 40 times in our defense are even less important. If Jenkins was there at 1.32 we should take him.

yep i agree there is way too much emphasis, but the only knock on jenkins was his top end speed...i don't put too much stock into 40 times, they are important to an extent, unfortunately for his case it possibly could matter unless he has a better pro day...

WoodleyofTroy
02-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Lot of these Corners will probably run better 40 times at their pro day. But basically the only thing that came out of this, which is really the only thing that gets hyped, is there wasn't a standout CB that blew up the time increasing his stock (like Chris Johnson of the RB's last year). Everything will stay around the same, with 4 or 5 CB's drafted in the 1st.