PDA

View Full Version : Wide Receiver Ronald Curry

WoodleyofTroy
02-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Raiders just released him.

6'2'' - 210. Played 7 seasons in Oakland, something even Randy Moss couldn't do. This guy has never had a Quarterback. He's 29 without much playing time at all.

A deep threat with more of a physical presence. Can go up for the ball. I think this would be the definition of a Ryan Clark signing (if we lose Nate Washington).

Iron Shiek
02-19-2009, 05:06 PM
I usually try not to chime in on these "what about this guy that was just cut" threads because we see so many pop up the minute a guy gets released.

But, I wouldn't mind taking a look at Curry. That system Oakland ran couldn't yield a decent receiver out of anyone (and they had, albeit an old, Jerry Rice and Randy Moss!). So to me, Curry is worth a look to see what he might be capable of. I imagine some team is going to jump on Nate just because of the exposure he got, so I don't expect him back and I'm not sure how ready the coaching staff is to pulling the Sweed at #3 trigger. But you never know.

EDIT: I guess I should preface this by saying I don't have an idea of what kind of $$ Curry would command. Obviously if its higher than #3 money...i'd say no.

RuthlessBurgher
02-19-2009, 05:07 PM

6'2'' - 210. Played 7 seasons in Oakland, something even Randy Moss couldn't do. This guy has never had a Quarterback. He's 29 without much playing time at all.

A deep threat with more of a physical presence. Can go up for the ball. I think this would be the definition of a Ryan Clark signing (if we lose Nate Washington).

He played QB at UNC (as well as basketball) and set many records including most career passing yards and most career total yards. He could be useful in a Randle El type of role (if we had a creative offensive coordinator, that is).

WoodleyofTroy
02-19-2009, 05:09 PM
I usually try not to chime in on these "what about this guy that was just cut" threads because we see so many pop up the minute a guy gets released.

lol I know what you mean, and I usually don't start them either, but had to for this guy..

Lebsteel
02-19-2009, 05:09 PM

Yes, I think it would be. He had 62 catches in '06, 55 in '07 and only 19 last year. I like his size. He probably has a few good years left...

AkronSteel
02-19-2009, 05:10 PM

He played QB at UNC (as well as basketball) and set many records including most career passing yards and most career total yards. He could be useful in a Randle El type of role (if we had a creative offensive coordinator, that is).

I was just thinking along the same lines Ruthless.....this guy was the highest rated QB in the country when he came out of high school! Could give the team a few options?

aggiebones
02-19-2009, 05:36 PM
I was pondering this as well. He could develop into a Ward type of do all player. Not sure the damage he's had with other teams stunting his growth as an NFL player. But I think he could be rejuvenated with us.
He's got some nice skills.

SidSmythe
02-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Curry's a good football player . . . i hold playing for the Raiders against no man. He's better than that.

Snatch98
02-19-2009, 10:53 PM
The question is are we keeping nate? If so I don't think we need to take a look at Curry. I expect the Steelers to draft another WR late in the draft and we still have Ward, Holmes and hopefully a maturing sweed, plus Dallas Baker and Nance is still on the practice squad/roster no? We also just picked up that return guy.