PDA

View Full Version : Raiders sign Nnamdi Asomugha to 3 year deal

RuthlessBurgher
02-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Asomugha's $45.3M deal richest for DB
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

The Oakland Raiders reached agreement with cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha on a $45.3 million, three-year contract that makes him the highest-paid defensive back in NFL history.

Sources said Asomugha is guaranteed $28.5 million in a complicated deal that features a provision in which the entire contract can be guaranteed if the Raiders decide to keep the 27-year-old for the third season.

This was the second major re-signing by the Raiders in two days; on Wednesday, Shane Lechler agreed to a four-year, $16 million contract, the richest ever for a punter.

Both deals were negotiated by agent Tom Condon, with Raiders owner Al Davis having significant involvement in brokering the agreements.

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

I don't understand the provision that states "the entire contract can be guaranteed if the Raiders decide to keep the 27-year-old for the third season." Ummm, yeah...if you sign a 3 year contract, and play all 3 years, you get all of that money. Seems pretty redundant to me.

steelblood
02-19-2009, 04:16 PM
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

The Oakland Raiders reached agreement with cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha on a $45.3 million, three-year contract that makes him the highest-paid defensive back in NFL history.

Sources said Asomugha is guaranteed $28.5 million in a complicated deal that features a provision in which the entire contract can be guaranteed if the Raiders decide to keep the 27-year-old for the third season.

This was the second major re-signing by the Raiders in two days; on Wednesday, Shane Lechler agreed to a four-year, $16 million contract, the richest ever for a punter.

Both deals were negotiated by agent Tom Condon, with Raiders owner Al Davis having significant involvement in brokering the agreements.

I don't understand the provision that states "the entire contract can be guaranteed if the Raiders decide to keep the 27-year-old for the third season." Ummm, yeah...if you sign a 3 year contract, and play all 3 years, you get all of that money. Seems pretty redundant to me.

Does he make more per year than Ben?

RuthlessBurgher
02-19-2009, 04:18 PM
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Does he make more per year than Ben?

8 years, $102 million averages out to $12.75 million per year.
3 years, $45.3 million averages out ot $15.1 million per year.

Oviedo
02-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Pretty much guarantees that Bmac is gone. The CB inflation will filter down to where Rosenhaus will be asking for $7-8M minimum for Bmac and calling it a bargain.

See ya later Bmac.

RuthlessBurgher
02-19-2009, 04:44 PM
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Okay, here are some more details courtesy of NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

Adam Schefter
Asomugha lands complex three-year deal with Raiders
Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Free Agency 2009, Nnamdi Asomugha, Oakland Raiders

For a change, the Oakland Raiders intercepted CB Nnamdi Asomugha on his way to the free-agent market.

Asomugha signed a three-year deal that is worth a minimum of $45 million and could reach $50 million, a league source said.

Itís a complex contract that the NFL had to sift through and approve, and it has. The deal works like this:

The first two years, worth $28.5 million, are fully guaranteed. In the third year of the contract, if Oakland wants to keep Asomugha, it must pay him the average of the top five highest-paid cornerbacks in the game or $16.875 million ó whichever is greater. If the Raiders fail to pick up the option, Asomugha will become a free agent, with Oakland not having the ability to tag him again.

Itís a complex deal, but the bottom line is itís done. The Raiders kept Asomugha and punter Shane Lechler without having to use a franchise tag.

The part about "the average of the top five highest-paid cornerbacks in the game or $16.875 million ó whichever is greater" is hysterical. There is no way that the average of the top 5 CB's would approach anywhere near $16.875 million. That is laughable. Note to Al Davis...the people in charge of the rest of the teams aren't as stupid as you.

After blowing his wad last year on a much of crappy players like DeAngelo Hall, Javon Walker, Tommy Kelly, and Gibril Wilson, at least they signed a good player this time (a very, very good player, actually). I think Asomugha is the only CB in the game that could be worth $10 million per year...but more than $15 million is just insane. Wow.

Iron Shiek
02-19-2009, 05:24 PM
[quote]Asomugha's $45.3M deal richest for DB
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Okay, here are some more details courtesy of NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

Adam Schefter
Asomugha lands complex three-year deal with Raiders
Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Free Agency 2009, Nnamdi Asomugha, Oakland Raiders

For a change, the Oakland Raiders intercepted CB Nnamdi Asomugha on his way to the free-agent market.

Asomugha signed a three-year deal that is worth a minimum of $45 million and could reach $50 million, a league source said.

Itís a complex contract that the NFL had to sift through and approve, and it has. The deal works like this:

The first two years, worth $28.5 million, are fully guaranteed. In the third year of the contract, if Oakland wants to keep Asomugha, it must pay him the average of the top five highest-paid cornerbacks in the game or $16.875 million ó whichever is greater. If the Raiders fail to pick up the option, Asomugha will become a free agent, with Oakland not having the ability to tag him again.

Itís a complex deal, but the bottom line is itís done. The Raiders kept Asomugha and punter Shane Lechler without having to use a franchise tag.

The part about "the average of the top five highest-paid cornerbacks in the game or $16.875 million ó whichever is greater" is hysterical. There is no way that the average of the top 5 CB's would approach anywhere near $16.875 million. That is laughable. Note to Al Davis...the people in charge of the rest of the teams aren't as stupid as you.

After blowing his wad last year on a much of crappy players like DeAngelo Hall, Javon Walker, Tommy Kelly, and Gibril Wilson, at least they signed a good player this time (a very, very good player, actually). I think Asomugha is the only CB in the game that could be worth $10 million per year...but more than $15 million is just insane. Wow.[/quote:2xzjmywk]

I wouldn't be so sure. We have a serious shot at having uncapped years coming up. These owners are going to be throwing some serious money around so you never know. But it does seem a bit high.

SteelerNation1
02-20-2009, 12:52 AM
This is why the Raiders are the Raiders and we are the Steelers. What a joke.