PDA

View Full Version : Gross resigns with Carolina for 6 years

Oviedo
02-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Anyone else have any fantasy land they want to live in. Gross and none of the other FA LTs were ever an option. Resign or tag Max now!!

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/19/panther ... year-deal/ (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/19/panthers-give-gross-six-year-deal/)

With one signing, Carolina retained offensive tackle Jordan Gross and kept control of defensive end Julius Peppers.

Carolina and Gross reached agreement Thursday on a record six-year contract that will pay out $30.5 million in the first three years of the deal, a league source said.

The $30.5 million over the dealís first three years is highest ever for an offensive lineman.

Now Gross is tied to Carolina and the Panthers now can designate Peppers as their franchise player, a move that will allow them to seek a trade. But Gross was the first piece of the puzzle.

After progress was made this week, the Panthers and Gross finalized the deal Thursday. Carolina took the top offensive tackle off the free-agent market and saved its franchise tag, all at the same time.

MeetJoeGreene
02-19-2009, 03:28 PM
So.. Max is about half as good as Gross???

stlrz d
02-19-2009, 03:44 PM
And Peppers was tagged.

Discipline of Steel
02-19-2009, 03:56 PM

Yeah, but he weighs twice as much!

Oviedo
02-19-2009, 03:57 PM

Max is probably 70-80% as good in terms of value if you have no other option. A bottle of water can be worth a $1000 if it is the only one in a desert.

Max is a proven commodity. He has played starting tackle on two Super Bowl winning teams. Everyone can hate how much he got paid last year but that is the going rate for starting LTs. He may not be top third in the NFL but he is definitely middle third.

Pay the guy and don't gamble that someone else can step in and do as well or gamble that Marvel is the recipient of a miracle and can play next year.

WoodleyofTroy
02-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Yeah I wouldn't even consider guys like Gross and Carey. We have enough of those type of contracts to take care of in our own (Harrison, Miller, Ward, Hampton, etc.) and currently have in place (Polamalu, Roethlisberger). However, my reasoning for Dunta Robinson was that I thought he would be more on the under the radar side compared to what he really is worth, because of the injury. I guess the Texans don't feel that way.

Lebsteel
02-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Anyone else have any fantasy land they want to live in. Gross and none of the other FA LTs were ever an option. Resign or tag Max now!!

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/19/panther ... year-deal/ (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/19/panthers-give-gross-six-year-deal/)

With one signing, Carolina retained offensive tackle Jordan Gross and kept control of defensive end Julius Peppers.

Carolina and Gross reached agreement Thursday on a record six-year contract that will pay out $30.5 million in the first three years of the deal, a league source said.

The $30.5 million over the dealís first three years is highest ever for an offensive lineman.

Now Gross is tied to Carolina and the Panthers now can designate Peppers as their franchise player, a move that will allow them to seek a trade. But Gross was the first piece of the puzzle.

After progress was made this week, the Panthers and Gross finalized the deal Thursday. Carolina took the top offensive tackle off the free-agent market and saved its franchise tag, all at the same time.

Dear Mr. Rourke, I'd love to continue to live in the fantasy land of the Steelers being able to get a high quality LT to protect Ben for the next ten years. Is that too much to ask? Starks is NOT the answer, but he may be what we have to live with. Starks is not much better than Essex and I'd rather pay Essex $2 million per year than Max $7 to $8 million. Hopefully, Hills or a draft pick could step in and take over at LT in 2010.

Iron Shiek
02-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Yeah I wouldn't even consider guys like Gross and Carey. We have enough of those type of contracts to take care of in our own (Harrison, Miller, Ward, Hampton, etc.) and currently have in place (Polamalu, Roethlisberger). However, my reasoning for Dunta Robinson was that I thought he would be more on the under the radar side compared to what he really is worth, because of the injury. I guess the Texans don't feel that way.

Say goodbye to Dunta as well. Think he was tagged. Along with Nmadi, and Hayden was resigned by Colts. Leaving BMac thee supreme CB target out there. Bye Bye BMac.

Oviedo
02-19-2009, 05:29 PM

Dear Mr. Rourke, I'd love to continue to live in the fantasy land of the Steelers being able to get a high quality LT to protect Ben for the next ten years. Is that too much to ask? Starks is NOT the answer, but he may be what we have to live with. Starks is not much better than Essex and I'd rather pay Essex $2 million per year than Max $7 to $8 million. Hopefully, Hills or a draft pick could step in and take over at LT in 2010.

Don't ask Mr Rourke. Ask Mr Tomlin and Mr Colbert because they are the ones who would take exception with your opinion of Starks and Essex. Since they have built and led a Super Bowl winning team I think I'll default to their assessments and opinions. Thank you for visting. The plane is about to leave. :wink:

Lebsteel
02-19-2009, 05:35 PM

Don't ask Mr Rourke. Ask Mr Tomlin and Mr Colbert because they are the ones who would take exception with your opinion of Starks and Essex. Since they have built and led a Super Bowl winning team I think I'll default to their assessments and opinions. Thank you for visting. The plane is about to leave. :wink:

How dare they take exception to what I think? What do they know... :HeadBanger

But, seriously, I hope getting a few very good interior lineman like Mack, Robinson, Urbik or Canfield in the draft is not too much of a fantasy... :shock:

I need to go catch "dee plane" :wink:

AkronSteel
02-19-2009, 05:36 PM

:Clap

You're on your game today OV! Love it!

Oviedo
02-19-2009, 05:45 PM

How dare they take exception to what I think? What do they know... :HeadBanger

But, seriously, I hope getting a few very good interior lineman like Mack, Robinson, Urbik or Canfield in the draft is not too much of a fantasy... :shock:

I need to go catch "dee plane" :wink:

Mack=very good @ 1.32
Robinson=not thrilled
Unger=good @1.32, better later if possible
Urbik=good @2.64
Canfield=????

My sleeper pick is Phil Loadholdt and move him inside to Guard. The guy would be an animal.

Lebsteel
02-19-2009, 05:49 PM
OV, Trevor Canfield, OG Cincinnati:

Positives: Tall and strong, but also nimble for pass protection and in reaching linebackers at the second level. ... Plays mean, willing to destroy targets in space and keep them on the ground until the play is done. ... Gets down quickly to cut linemen, but can also get up and immediately find someone to hit. ... Sets quickly and anchors well in pass protection. Gets the shoulder of his defender to create the correct running lane. ... Hands come up into his man's jersey quickly and he can move the defender as desired. ... More than willing to help out his tackle with an outside pass rusher. ... Is versatile enough to possibly move outside.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/trevor-canfield?id=71243#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-analysis

Discipline of Steel
02-19-2009, 10:06 PM
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- As the Carolina Panthers negotiate a lucrative contract with impending free agent Jordan Gross, they're making cuts elsewhere in the organization because of the economic downturn.

Team spokesman Charlie Dayton said Tuesday that the Panthers have laid off approximately 20 employees. That number does not include longtime director of player development Donnie Shell, who announced his retirement.

Oviedo
02-20-2009, 09:45 AM
OV, Trevor Canfield, OG Cincinnati:

Positives: Tall and strong, but also nimble for pass protection and in reaching linebackers at the second level. ... Plays mean, willing to destroy targets in space and keep them on the ground until the play is done. ... Gets down quickly to cut linemen, but can also get up and immediately find someone to hit. ... Sets quickly and anchors well in pass protection. Gets the shoulder of his defender to create the correct running lane. ... Hands come up into his man's jersey quickly and he can move the defender as desired. ... More than willing to help out his tackle with an outside pass rusher. ... Is versatile enough to possibly move outside.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/trevor-canfield?id=71243#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-analysis

Sounds pretty good. Maybe 3rd round. Can't be worse than Stapleton or Kemo.

pfelix73
02-20-2009, 10:12 AM
"Starks is not much better than Essex and I'd rather pay Essex $2 million per year than Max $7 to $8 million. Hopefully, Hills or a draft pick could step in and take over at LT in 2010."

How does one know this stuff?

We must have the OL coach posting on here. Thanks for the info, Larry.

ikestops85
02-20-2009, 12:15 PM
We know everything because we are

Message Board Posters

:D :D

Lebsteel
02-20-2009, 01:17 PM
"Starks is not much better than Essex and I'd rather pay Essex $2 million per year than Max $7 to $8 million. Hopefully, Hills or a draft pick could step in and take over at LT in 2010."

How does one know this stuff?

We must have the OL coach posting on here. Thanks for the info, Larry.

:D :D You've never seen Essex play? That's what I base it on. When Essex has stepped in at LT, he seems to do a decent job, just as Starks does. Decent, adequate, average, but not great. I'd like to see us get a great LT, but it is apparently not going to happen this year. We can make do with Starks, obviously, since we are Super Bowl Champions! :tt1 :tt1