PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Options Gone

phillyesq
02-19-2009, 01:38 PM
According to PFT, Dunta Robinson was hit with the tag. I know that some had mentioned him here as an option over McFadden. PFT is also reporting that Gross is close to signing a long term deal.

RuthlessBurgher
02-19-2009, 02:13 PM
According to PFT, Dunta Robinson was hit with the tag. I know that some had mentioned him here as an option over McFadden. PFT is also reporting that Gross is close to signing a long term deal.

When healthy, Robinson is a much better CB than McFadden (Dunta was taken one spot ahead of Ben in the draft, by the way). The question was, how healthy he was, since he has missed a bunch of games the last 2 seasons. But the Houston doctors know him better than anyone else, and if they tagged him, that means they must have medically cleared him. When healthy, he was playing at a near Pro Bowl level and now he will likely be paid as such.

steelblood
02-19-2009, 02:52 PM
We would not have paid what Robinson wanted. McCallister or Dre Bly (both recently released) may be more in our range.

Oviedo
02-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Even if Robinson and Gross hit the market we will not get into a bidding war for them. Why does everyone continue to dream year after year that we are going after big name free agents.

The Steelers philosophy has not changed and will not change:

1. Do every reasonable effort to keep your own but don't overspend
2. Tag your own (or offer tenders for RFAs) when there are no other options while you develop replacements internally
2. Get mid tier free agents to fill short term gaps
3. Build through the draft

This has worked for years but every year people think we are going after the big free agents. Stck with what works.

Discipline of Steel
02-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Even if Robinson and Gross hit the market we will not get into a bidding war for them. Why does everyone continue to dream year after year that we are going after big name free agents.

2. Tag your own (or offer tenders for RFAs) when there are no other options while you develop replacements internally

This has worked for years but every year people think we are going after the big free agents. Stck with what works.

With that said, I have my eye on a mid-tier free agent that I think could fill a big need for us. That big need is a good blocking FB and a concommitant need is a big RB that can bust the line in short yardage. The proposed FA is Leonard Weaver from Seattle, who is 20 lbs heavier than any back on our roster. I know I brought him up before and got no bites. I think the hindering issue with him is that his agent is marketing him as the thunder to someones lightning. He would be a fourth option in our stable but his skillz are what we are lacking. He beats the hell out of Carey Davis, Im not totally sold on Gary Russell, Im not sold on the idea that fixing our line fixes our short yardage issue, so that leaves Mendy as our only hope to plug it in from the 1 next year. BTW, he can block and actually catch the ball...Any takers???

Oviedo
02-19-2009, 04:02 PM

With that said, I have my eye on a mid-tier free agent that I think could fill a big need for us. That big need is a good blocking FB and a concommitant need is a big RB that can bust the line in short yardage. The proposed FA is Leonard Weaver from Seattle, who is 20 lbs heavier than any back on our roster. I know I brought him up before and got no bites. I think the hindering issue with him is that his agent is marketing him as the thunder to someones lightning. He would be a fourth option in our stable but his skillz are what we are lacking. He beats the hell out of Carey Davis, Im not totally sold on Gary Russell, Im not sold on the idea that fixing our line fixes our short yardage issue, so that leaves Mendy as our only hope to plug it in from the 1 next year. BTW, he can block and actually catch the ball...Any takers???

If we would go back to a significant numer of plays that require a FB then I think Weaver is a major improvement over Carey davis. The big question is will we use a FB. Everyone wants to act like Arians is the only OC to minimize the use of FBs but it is a trend throughout the league to exploit the rules favoring passing.

Personally, I like the idea of a TE in the backfield as long as that TE can block. Having a TE/FB actually can save a game day roster spot. Why was Davis ever active on gameday???? They key is getting one that is equally adept at blocking as a lead blocker and catching the football. I think McHugh can do this.

Jom112
02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
We would not have paid what Robinson wanted. McCallister or Dre Bly (both recently released) may be more in our range.

You guys don't want Dre Bly. Ike, Deshea and Gay are all better than Bly...

WoodleyofTroy
02-19-2009, 04:22 PM

Hopefully Leigh Bodden (if BMac leaves that is).

grotonsteel
02-19-2009, 04:23 PM
I hope Steelers sign Eric King, CB from Tenn....

phillyesq
02-19-2009, 04:28 PM

For the record, I'm not among those always clamoring for a big FA signing. But I know that many here had discussed those guys (among others), which I why I posted about them signing.

Oviedo
02-19-2009, 06:03 PM

For the record, I'm not among those always clamoring for a big FA signing. But I know that many here had discussed those guys (among others), which I why I posted about them signing.

The reality about free agency in that in 90% of the cases good teams will overpay to keep their own known quantity high performers and crap teams (Raiders, Browns, Bills) will overpay for anyone who they think can help and are usually wrong.

In both cases they unrealistically skew the marketplace which is exactly what the NFL wants to force parity by having successful teams blow up rosters to dump salary and have down seasons. Teams like the Steelers and Patriots drive them nuts because they beat the system.