PDA

View Full Version : All Time Favorites - How do you rank them - Linebackers

Lonbull
02-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Planet Steelers - Here's my dilemma - I don't know where to mentally place James Harrison amongst all of the great Steeler Linebackers. Despite having a short time to base my opinion there have been so many memorable things he's done (Slamming a Browns fan to the Turf for example) - I struggle between placing him with Hall of Famers or placing him far lower on the list.

I'm asking Planet Steelers to help me think this thing through - how would you rate the following players.

Listed in no specific order

Andy Russell
Jack Ham
Jack Lambert
Robin Cole
Kevin Greene
Levon Kirkland
Greg Lloyd
Hardy Nickerson
James Harrison
Jason Gildon
Earl Holmes
James Farrior
Joey Porter

I'll add this before you get started - I would LOVE for you to add comments on why you're placing players where you're placing them. This shouldn't be about right or wrong answers - it's more about how a particular player's career either stands out or doesn't stand out for you.

I didn't add LaMarr Woodley or L. Timmons only because I didn't think it was fair to put their young career on this list. And while James Harrison only has one more "starting" season than Woodley he's certainly had a noteworthy career already.

L.B.

stlrz d
02-18-2009, 07:03 PM
What you're asking is unpossible for me to do. There's a cluster of a few at the top and then a cluster just below them.

Think of it as the infinity symbol with some names in one side and some in the other. :D

Hope that helps. :P

flippy
02-18-2009, 07:17 PM
I'll do my top 10.

1. Jack Ham - If God was building the perfect LB, he'd make another Jack Ham. The best LB to play the game. He could do it all. To this day, the most range of any LB we've ever seen.

2. James Harrison - This is my favorite LB to ever play in Pittsburgh. Going from undrafted to DPOY in his second season is just sick. This is one bad dude. And he's unblockable. His SuperBowl touchdown is the greatest play ever.

3. Jack Lambert - I can't believe I'm putting him 3rd. This guy is one of my favorites of all time. His intensity makes Ray Lewis look feeble.

4. Lamar Woodley - Lonbull won't put him on the list but I will. Not other LB has 2 sacks in every playoff game in his 1st 2 seasons. Even Kevin Greene says he's a better rusher than Greene prior to his second season. I've already got Wood at 4.

5. James Farrior - Reminds me a lot of Ham in the way he plays his position perfectly. He doesn't quite have Ham's range, but Farrior might be the biggest hitter we've seen out of our LBs ever. It just looks like it hurts like hell to get hit by Farrior

6. Levon Kirkland - The 300lb LB. I remember watching him run down field and cover TEs. This man was the most amazing athlete to play LB for the Steelers.

7. Kevin Greene - Lightning quick off the edge. Fun to watch this guy when he pinned his ears back to just go after the QB. No one could block this guy.

8. Andy Russell - Mr Underrated himself. All he did was play sound football and make play after play and go to probowl after probowl. This is the most forgotten LB in Steelers history.

9. Greg Lloyd - This guy might be the scariest LB to ever put on the Steelers uniform. I want to rank him higher, but the whole gun and his kid turned me off on the guy a little.

10. Lawerence Timmons - Sorry again MrBull, but I've gotta put Timmons in my top 10 before he breaks the starting lineup. This is the kid that's got it all. If he works hard and stays healthy, he can be better than Ham. He's got the range. He can blitz. He can cover. He can hit like a ton of bricks. There's a lot of work to get there, but he's the most physically gifted LB to wear the black and gold.

stlrz d
02-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Flippy - I gotta laugh. You call Andy Russell under rated and then put him at 8. :lol:

:P

flippy
02-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Flippy - I gotta laugh. You call Andy Russell under rated and then put him at 8. :lol:

THat's my point. I can't bring myself to putting him higher. But look how many ProBowls he made. He was a rock of consistency at LB.

Ranking these guys is f'd up. You try. It's hard.

stlrz d
02-18-2009, 07:31 PM

THat's my point. I can't bring myself to putting him higher. But look how many ProBowls he made. He was a rock of consistency at LB.

Like I said, it's unpossible!

feelthesteel
02-18-2009, 08:22 PM
what about Chad Brown? Jerry Oslavski? tough dudes
do you remember them they were pretty good. oh and Myron Bell was pretty good too.

Mel Blount's G
02-18-2009, 09:30 PM
You said "favorite" to begin with Bull so there is no right or wrong nor need to really justify. For example, I have Dennis Winston ahead of a bunch of LB's who were "better" just because I have an emotional connection to him and his rookie year of 1978 when he started in the super bowl.

Leper Friend
02-18-2009, 10:19 PM
The 70's teams were before my time so I can't really rank those guys.

The first dominant Steeler linebacker I got to see play was Mike Merriweather who was an absolute dominant pass rusher at times.I recall Robin Cole being more consistent but Merriweather had all the big plays so he always stuck out to me as a kid.

As for the rest -

MLB's -

1)Levon Kirkland- He was an absolute freak athlete.

2) James Farrior -Not flashy but always where he needs to be and consistent tackler

3) Hardy Nickerson / Earl Holmes. Not a whole lot different imo. Good but not great. Nickerson was a bright spot for some bad teams though.

OLB's -

1)Greg Lloyd. This is a completely biased opinion because he's my favorite player ever.I know he's not the best but too bad,he's #1.

2) Joey Porter. The most well rounded. Overrated as a pass rusher but he could do it all.

3) Kevin Greene. Maybe the best pass rusher we ever had but too one dimensional. Was flat out bad in coverage.

4) Jason Gildon. I think way underrated by many. A poor man's Kevin Greene.

5) James Harrison. This is only because he's only had 2 real years. Another year or two at this rate and he's clearly the best.Imagine if he was the same player he is now when he came into the league. That's a scary thought. We'd be talking HOF for sure.

Discipline of Steel
02-18-2009, 10:45 PM
1-Lambert: As Chuck Noll put it, Jack Lambert was the defender of what is right...and his first step was never wrong. He was so mean he didnt even like himself, and with a toothless snarl created the Steeler mystique as the intimidators. He was more than a football player, he is a true legend and that puts him at the top of my list. Slinging Cliff Harris to the ground in SB X is the greatest act of intimidation in the history of the NFL. I still giggle to myself every time I even think about it.

2-Harrison: This man is the alpha omega male. The alpha male to end all alpha males. His TD return in SB XLIII is the greatest play in the history of the NFL...and his legend continues to grow. Nuff said.

3-Ham: Quietly did his job as well as anyone ever. The fact that he did it rather quietly drops him to 3rd in my book, but I think that also puts him at 3rd in the history of LBs in the NFL.

4-Lloyd: The job of the Steelers LB, as established by Jack Lambert, is not only to tackle and defend but to put the fear of God into the other team. Lloyd, not only perpetuated this mystique, but dominated as the best LB in the NFL during the 90's. I love that he was no friend of the media, something James Harrison appears to have learned from him.

5-Farrior: 'Quiet Riot' has never made a show of himself yet did you know that he has surpassed ray lewis in tackles, sacks, and fumble recoveries in 3 out of the past 4 years? Trust me, the guys on the D view him as a true leader and he is still producing at a pro bowl level at the age of 34.

6-Russell: 7 pro bowls and a team MVP, Russell was one of the greatest trio of LB in the history of the NFL. (see #1 and #3)

7-Kirkland: Huge yet quick, like Bettis on defense, Levon's athleticism was intimidating. I would probably least want to get hit by this man.

8-Porter: Got to like his attitude and motor, he perpetuated the 'mystique' during his time as a Steeler. He is the only big mouth I ever respected as a player.

9-Merriweather: Best Steeler LB in the 80's, he held the Steelers single season sack record for over 2 decades. He carried the LB mantle from Lambert to Lloyd.

10-Gildon: Steelers all-time sack leader.

Kevin Greene and Chad Brown spent the majority of their careers on other teams so I dont consider them pure Steelers, otherwise they 'might' sneak into the 9 and 10 slots. Woodley will make it, probably sooner than later, but the body of work is just not there yet. Timmons, long on potential, is even shorter on accomplishment.

DukieBoy
02-18-2009, 10:49 PM
Apples and oranges, 4-3 backers and 3-4 backers. Just my opinion.
If you divide them out, this question seems more possible to answer.

for the 4-3 backers, no doubt in my mind:
1. Jack Ham
2. Jack Lambert
3. Andy Russell

And my bias is Ham and Lambert would top the whole list of them.
I don't think I can begin to address the 3-4 backers, so many rate highly.

RuthlessBurgher
02-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Since I was still in the womb when the Steelers won their first Super Bowl, I do not have the personal connection to the 70's guys (although I certainly respect the quality of their games via highlight reels). I truly became a real Steeler fan when Greg Lloyd was emerging as the most feared figure of his era. I would find it difficult to displace him, but I would have to say that Harrison is the closest thing I have seen to Lloyd in terms of pure intimidation that the NFL has seen since then, and there is no question he has risen to #2 on my personal list at this point. That MNF game against Baltimore with the 75th Anniversary team in attendance (2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, 1 interception, 3.5 sacks, and 10 tackles...including the blast of Ed Reed on the punt return), tossing Ocho Cinco over his shoulder like a rag doll, throwing the Cleveland fan to the turf, hurdling Tomlinson, the 100 yard INT return in Super Bowl XLIII...it is amazing that he has only been a starter here for 2 seasons.

papillon
02-18-2009, 11:58 PM
1) Jack Lambert - Probably the best LB of all time, if not, he's in the team picture.
2) Andy Russell
2) James Harrison
2) Greg Lloyd
2) Jack Ham

You can argue about the rankings after #1, but, #1 was a pretty easy choice for me.

These guys are the best of the rest

Mike Merriweather - The man could play

Robin Cole - Some days he was HOF, some days he was good and some days you didn't know he was on the field.

Kevin Greene - Wasn't a Steeler long enough to make the above group
Levon Kirkland - The man could move for a bigun, but, didn't do it for a long enough time.
Hardy Nickerson - Decent Steeler career, but is a Buc more than a Steeler
Jason Gildon - Greg Lloyd lite, but, a hell of a football player
Earl Holmes - Don't remember much about Holmes
James Farrior - What a solid, solid player and I'm glad he's still a Steeler
Joey Porter - There were times his bark was worse than his bite, but, he showed up in big games.
Chad Brown - Chased the money, but, a very good linebacker
Kendrell Bell - Like a Roman candle he flashed through the NFL and Pittsburgh and then flamed out after an injury. Too bad, he had greatness written all over his career.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
02-19-2009, 12:24 AM
what about Chad Brown? Jerry Oslavski? tough dudes
do you remember them they were pretty good. oh and Myron Bell was pretty good too.

Myron Bell was a safety...Kendrell Bell was a linebacker.

And while we are mentioning other LB's that don't get their due, how about David Little and Bryan Hinkle? They were the mainstays when I first started watching football (even though the Greg Lloyd years where when I truly appeciated defensive football and matured as a fan of the game).

Chadman
02-19-2009, 12:33 AM
All time FAVOURITES?

Well, like Ruthless, Chadman first took up the Black & Gold around the Greg Lloyd era, so judging the 70's guys is tough.

So, for Chadman's FAVOURITES-

1. Greg Lloyd- Just remember some NFL Films show where they interviewed him & he said something like "I think it's cool when I hit the QB so hard that snot comes out of him". From that moment on- Lloyd was Chadman's favourite.

2. Levon Kirkland- Anyone that big that could run that well is worth watching. Chadman still remember Levon Kirkland & Natrone Means coming together in the open field- It was like watching two trucks collide.

3. Kendrell Bell- He was only in Black & Gold a short time, but while here, that dude was AWESOME. He was simply dominant every time he was on the field for the Steelers.

4. James Farrior- He does his work so quietly & effeciently that you sometimes overlook his impact. Super professional & a rock in the defence.

5. James Harrison- Is this low simply because he hasn't had time to eclipse the guys in front of him yet. Give him time though- if he keeps playing like he does, it won't be long.

6. Kevin Greene- Simply the most dominant pass rusher the Steelers have had at OLB. Maybe Harrison will take that spot, or Woodley, but until they do, Greene was a freak.

7. Larry Foote- Like Farrior, Foote has quietly done his thing for a long time in the middle. Doesn't get nearly the recognition he deserves around here.

8. Earl Holmes- "Congratulations Mr Cowher on drafting the best linebacker in this draft." Anyone with the nuts to say that to his new HC gets Chadman's nod. Oh, he could play alright too.

9. Chad Brown- The most athletic linebacker the Steelers have ever had. He could fit in any scheme, any role, and succeed. One of the few Steelers to leave Pittsburgh & still play up to the highest standard.

10. LaMarr Woodley- He has a great chance at taking the mantle that Kevin Greene holds as the Steelers most dominant pass rusher. Awesome introduction to the B & G, and his arms are HUGE!

11. Joey Porter- Always had Chadman shaking his head- you loved him when he was on, you got frustrated when he went quiet. But he was always entertaining. And he is a true Steeler.

12. Lawrence Timmons- Chadman wants to put him higher, but until he sees the field fulltime, it would be unfair on the guys ahead of him.

13. Jason Gildon- He had a lot of detractors, but his record says he was very effective in black & gold.

skyhawk
02-19-2009, 02:20 AM
Some good LB's on the list.

I don't know if I would rate him the best LB but he is close: I never saw Kirkland miss a tackle. He was a real beast.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-19-2009, 02:53 PM
I'll give my group:

1) Lambert - Maybe the greatest of all time, and a key member of the team that first welcomed me to Steeler Nation.

2) Lloyd - Still have a Lloyd jersey that I sometimes wear when I watch. One of the scariest ever.

3) Ham - Another member of that fabled Steel Curtain. Was 1a to Lambert.

4) Harrison - When he has a game he puts on a clinic. One of my favorite Harrison memories was the Monday nighter against Baltimore. Dude was everywhere.

5) Kirkland - Guy was huge yet could drop into pass coverage. Can remember him once getting up on an interception deep. I couldn't believe that a guy that big could jump like that.

6) Porter - Sometimes loved him, sometimes hated him, but he always made things interesting.

7) Greene - An excellent bookend for Lloyd. The long hair flying as he tries to beat GL to the QB.

8) Farrior/Timmons?Woodley/Foote - I love this LB corps.

9) Holmes - Just a personal choice. Very good but for a short period of time. I just always loved the story that when he was drafted (in the 5th or 6th round IIRC) he called up the team and congratulated them on choosing the best LB in the draft.

10) Gildon - He was very good for awhile before breaking down and becoming a shadow of himself. However, he does hold the Steelers sack record so he must have done something right.

stlrz d
02-19-2009, 03:35 PM
SFIT - Just for the record, Cower called stud Florida A&M Rattlers linebacker Earl Holmes to congratulate him on being drafted by the Steelers. Holmes replied, "Congrats to you coach on getting the best linebacker in the draft." :D

And I think the Kirkland play you're talking about was against the Bills, while covering Pete Metzelaars. It's one that has always stuck out in my mind. Speaking of Kirkland, I once emailed this pic to an ESPN radio show while Salisbury was on the air. Can't remember the name of the co-host, but he laughed quite heartily at it!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/drlyon/kirkland.jpg

I think the word "beast" is way over used in describing football players now, but if there was ever a beast in the NFL it was #99.

Like I said, I could never rank these guys because so many of them were so good and in different ways. But it's lots of fun to read why people ranked who they ranked!

MeetJoeGreene
02-19-2009, 03:36 PM
I am only going to rate those that played significant time in the Burgh....Also no Woodley or Harrison and they have only just begun.

1 Jack Ham - I agree with what Flippy said and cannot improve upon it.
2a Jack Lambert Lambert and Lloyd were just perfect combinations of nastiness and skill.
2b Greg Lloyd See 2A
3 Levon Kirkland -- a freak of nature to be that big and that mobile.
4 James Farrior -- solid, solid, solid player, quiet leader
5 Andy Russell - Travesty that he is not in HOF.

Lonbull
02-19-2009, 04:08 PM
You said "favorite" to begin with Bull so there is no right or wrong nor need to really justify. For example, I have Dennis Winston ahead of a bunch of LB's who were "better" just because I have an emotional connection to him and his rookie year of 1978 when he started in the super bowl.

MBG -

This is all about "favorites" or how you see their career - you can rank them by ability, the intangibles that they brought to the team, special moments in their career - or in your case a connection with that player.

And that's one of the reasons I asked for people to detail why they're putting players where, which so far has been excellent.

L.B.

steelblood
02-19-2009, 04:40 PM
1. Lambert - I remember how he took games over with his physical play. Dude was a stick. Skinny. But, somehow he really brought it and blew RBs up. He was the emotional leader of the greatest team ever and backed it up with his play.

2. Ham - Awesome skill set. He was the cerebral counter-point to Lambert's emotional play.

3. Kirkland - My favorite. He was so big and so athletic. He was dominant against the run and athletic enough to run with a young Tony Gonzalez. Amazing for such a huge man.

4. Llyod - He scared the crap out of teams like no linbacker since Lambert. He was so athletic, so strong. He had an aura and backed it up on the field.

5. Harrison - If he had even a short career to match his last two years, he'd be #1. But, two years as a starter only gets him this high. Undoubtedly had the greatest season ever for a STeeler's linebacker.

6. Kevin Greene - He was Woodley before Woodley was Woodley. Too bad he never got a ring here.

7. Farrior - Consummate pro. Very smart and excellent against the run and pass. Also is a very good blitzer for a 3-4 inside backer.

8. Joey Porter - Complete backer who could rush the passer and drop into coverage.

9. Woodley - only one year as a starter, but probably already leads the Steelers in postseason sacks with 8. He gets sacks in big games and tackles people with his butt (see Chargers playoff game - 4th and 1)

10. Earl Little - smart, tough, huge heart.

RuthlessBurgher
02-19-2009, 04:51 PM
1. Lambert - I remember how he took games over with his physical play. Dude was a stick. Skinny. But, somehow he really brought it and blew RBs up. He was the emotional leader of the greatest team ever and backed it up with his play.

2. Ham - Awesome skill set. He was the cerebral counter-point to Lambert's emotional play.

3. Kirkland - My favorite. He was so big and so athletic. He was dominant against the run and athletic enough to run with a young Tony Gonzalez. Amazing for such a huge man.

4. Llyod - He scared the crap out of teams like no linbacker since Lambert. He was so athletic, so strong. He had an aura and backed it up on the field.

5. Harrison - If he had even a short career to match his last two years, he'd be #1. But, two years as a starter only gets him this high. Undoubtedly had the greatest season ever for a STeeler's linebacker.

6. Kevin Greene - He was Woodley before Woodley was Woodley. Too bad he never got a ring here.

7. Farrior - Consummate pro. Very smart and excellent against the run and pass. Also is a very good blitzer for a 3-4 inside backer.

8. Joey Porter - Complete backer who could rush the passer and drop into coverage.

9. Woodley - only one year as a starter, but probably already leads the Steelers in postseason sacks with 8. He gets sacks in big games and tackles people with his butt (see Chargers playoff game - 4th and 1)

10. Earl Little - smart, tough, huge heart.

For you last one, do you mean Earl Holmes or David Little? Earl Little was the punk CB who used to play in Cleveland that had the gall to call the Korean-born Hines Ward a "Chinese Bitch" during a game, and got appropriately laid out by a Ward block shortly thereafter.

http://insider.espn.go.com/proxy/proxy.dll/insider/magazine/story?id=1909641&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fpro xy%2fproxy.dll%2finsider%2fmagazine%2fstory%3fid%3 d1909641

Ward has been fined by the NFL just once in his seven-year career, for taunting after he flattened Browns safety Earl Little with a block in a game three years ago. The Steelers threw a pass into the flat, and Ward caught Little with a perfect shot. Ward stood over the unconscious Little and enjoyed the moment a bit too much. He immediately apologized, but he says, "Two plays before, he tried to take my head off, then looked at me and said, 'You Chinese bitch.' "I've heard that stuff all my life," Ward says. "Usually it doesn't bother me. But if you're going to talk stuff and try to take me out, I'm coming at you. Cleanly and fairly. But I'm coming."

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-19-2009, 05:25 PM
[quote]SFIT - Just for the record, Cower called stud Florida A&M Rattlers linebacker Earl Holmes to congratulate him on being drafted by the Steelers. Holmes replied, "Congrats to you coach on getting the best linebacker in the draft." :D

Yeah, that is a great story. I kept an eye on him after that and it turned out that he was a good player for where he was drafted.

And I think the Kirkland play you're talking about was against the Bills, while covering Pete Metzelaars. It's one that has always stuck out in my mind.

I believe that you are right. He just dropped way back into coverage and went up and got it.

Also speaking of Kirk, I remember that when he was re-signed at one time the new deal made him the highest paid LB in the game. A friend of mine couldn't believe it and asked me if I thought that he is the best LB in the game. I told him that he isn't, but it was his time at the pay window, and he was deserving of being the 'next' guy as the highest paid. I'm sure that status only lasted about a week or so anyway until the next LB signed a contract.

All football fans knew about Lloyd and Greene at the time, but few fans really knew how good Kirk and Chad Brown were when they both played ILB here. [/quote:2ln6ykdf]

Lonbull
02-19-2009, 06:16 PM

Flippin -

The reason I started this thread is because after I wrote the Epic Run thread I started thinking about where James Harrison currently stood among the Steelers Linebackers - especially considering how well known Pittsburgh is known for Linebackers.

Harrison will most likely be my #2 as well - however it felt odd putting him above Hall of Famers :shock: - And I realize that some of the adulation is because he's our current big time OLB. But I wanted to see where everyone else stood on this.

In regards to you putting in Woodley and Timmons - it's your list - no rules.

I wasn't limiting people I was just putting in a few suggestions of players to consider.

L.B.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Harrisons' been a starter for 2 seasons... Ranking him ahead of guys like Lloyd and maybe even Peezy is like ranking Barry Foster or Bam Morris ahead of Bettis... It's a little fast to do that, unless your criteria is "how talented/good are they, regardless of time played."

In which case, you'd rank Foster ahead of Bettis and Harrison ahead of Lloyd...

stlrz d
02-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Harrisons' been a starter for 2 seasons... Ranking him ahead of guys like Lloyd and maybe even Peezy is like ranking Barry Foster or Bam Morris ahead of Bettis... It's a little fast to do that, unless your criteria is "how talented/good are they, regardless of time played."

In which case, you'd rank Foster ahead of Bettis and Harrison ahead of Lloyd...

To be fair, Bull asked for rankings based on best and/or favorite.

flippy
02-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Ward has been fined by the NFL just once in his seven-year career, for taunting after he flattened Browns safety Earl Little with a block in a game three years ago. The Steelers threw a pass into the flat, and Ward caught Little with a perfect shot. Ward stood over the unconscious Little and enjoyed the moment a bit too much. He immediately apologized, but he says, "Two plays before, he tried to take my head off, then looked at me and said, 'You Chinese bitch.' "I've heard that stuff all my life," Ward says. "Usually it doesn't bother me. But if you're going to talk stuff and try to take me out, I'm coming at you. Cleanly and fairly. But I'm coming."

Hines Ward deserves to be an honorary LB.

I love this guy like I love our LBs.

I barely think of him as a WR.

flippy
02-19-2009, 07:05 PM

Flippin -

The reason I started this thread is because after I wrote the Epic Run thread I started thinking about where James Harrison currently stood among the Steelers Linebackers - especially considering how well known Pittsburgh is known for Linebackers.

Harrison will most likely be my #2 as well - however it felt odd putting him above Hall of Famers :shock: - And I realize that some of the adulation is because he's our current big time OLB. But I wanted to see where everyone else stood on this.

In regards to you putting in Woodley and Timmons - it's your list - no rules.

I wasn't limiting people I was just putting in a few suggestions of players to consider.

L.B.

I'll be interested to see the list you come up with. This is a fun thread to read.

It's so hard to compare guys from different eras at different positions.

I also almost wanted to bring Troy P into the discussion because he reminds me more of Ham and Lambert than any of the other LBs.

Discipline of Steel
02-19-2009, 08:57 PM
I was about to put Donnie Shell into my LB list even though he was a safety. Remember he knocked Earl Campbell out of a critical game in 1978 when he had dominated the league all year? Broke his ribs.

DukieBoy
02-19-2009, 09:58 PM
I was about to put Donnie Shell into my LB list even though he was a safety. Remember he knocked Earl Campbell out of a critical game in 1978 when he had dominated the league all year? Broke his ribs.

To me, that was the one most memorable defensive play, (unless you'd consider Lambert's trashing of Cliff Harris off Gerela's FG miss in the SB) .... until James in this year's SB. Any video out there of Donnie "Torpedo" Shell's hit on Earl Campbell?

Discipline of Steel
02-19-2009, 11:45 PM

To me, that was the one most memorable defensive play, (unless you'd consider Lambert's trashing of Cliff Harris off Gerela's FG miss in the SB) .... until James in this year's SB. Any video out there of Donnie "Torpedo" Shell's hit on Earl Campbell?

I looked for half an hour and couldnt come up with it. But I did find this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hae6fMCoBrs