PDA

View Full Version : Mack Injured, No go at Combine

calmkiller
02-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Per PFT

CAL’S MACK SIDELINED FOR COMBINE
Posted by Aaron Wilson on February 18, 2009, 9:55 a.m.

Highly-regarded Cal center Alex Mack won’t be able to endure the rigors of the NFL scouting combine this week due to a sprained ankle he suffered Monday, NFL Network’s Adam Schefter reports.

Mack is considered one of the top interior offensive line prospects in the draft and has been projected as a first-round pick by many draft analysts.

Now, Mack will be limited to the meet-and-greet aspect of the scouting combine, which is also important in the mass job interview that will go on in Indianapolis this week. Mack said he’ll rehab his injury and prepare for his Pro Day in Berkeley, Calif., on March 18.

“While preparing for the combine on Monday with my trainer, I suffered a sprained ankle,” Mack said. “The injury isn’t serious, but unfortunately, it is going to keep me from working out this week in Indianapolis.

“No one is more disappointed than me, as I have been working tirelessly to further prove myself as a first-round pick. However, I don’t want to perform at anything less than 100 percent.”

That makes sense.

Although NFL teams would undoubtedly be impressed if Mack was to gut it out and go through the drills on a bad ankle, it’s possible he could wind up making the injury worse and hurt his draft stock.

Hopefully the slide will start. Come on baby....

WoodleyofTroy
02-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Heath Miller part 2.

Oviedo
02-18-2009, 04:57 PM
I guess you can't bench press with a sprained ankle. :?

We need warriors not prima donas trying to game the system.

WoodleyofTroy
02-18-2009, 05:03 PM
If he doesn't participate, I think it's safe to say that this will be our pick at #32. I haven't felt this confident in a pick since Ben and Heath, especially this soon.

Here's to not blowing the 2nd round.

WoodleyofTroy
02-18-2009, 05:04 PM
On a day when most teams used almost all of the 15 minutes allotted for their first-round picks, there were more than 10 minutes remaining when NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue stepped to the podium to announced Pittsburgh's selection in the NFL Draft.

Steelers fans in attendance roared in approval at the announcement of Virginia tight end Heath Miller.

Pittsburgh took Miller with the 30th pick overall, making him the Cavaliers' first first-round draft pick since running back Thomas Jones in 2000 and the first of coach Al Groh's four-year UVa coaching tenure.

"Two players really fell to teams that had to have their fingers crossed, [Oklahoma wide receiver] Mark Clayton falling to Baltimore at No.22, and Heath Miller," draft analyst Mel Kiper said on ESPN. "This was a player looked at and targeted as a Steeler two [or] three months ago."

Miller was the first tight end selected and might have gone higher if not for January surgery for a "sports hernia," a groin condition caused by persistent twisting. Miller did not participate in the NFL Draft Combine in Indianapolis and has not participated in individual workouts.

"Heath has been given a timetable that we feel very comfortable with," coach Bill Cowher said. "We feel that he will be ready to go, maybe not in the mini-camp we've got coming up, but certainly by training camp. The same doctor performed the same surgery on [Steelers' defensive back] Deshay Townsend and he's recovering very nicely."

"We just feel he's a great fit for what we want to do."

Miller had been projected as a New York Jets pick in many mock drafts, but the Jets traded the 26th pick for Oakland tight end Doug Jolley.

stlrz d
02-18-2009, 05:04 PM

If you have your feet on the floor when benching it puts pressure on your ankles and knees. If you don't put your feet on the floor you can't bench as much.

I don't blame a guy for protecting himself. If he tries to bench and hurts himself he costs himself money. If he tries to bench and can't bench as much because he's not putting pressure on his ankle he costs himself money.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-18-2009, 05:06 PM

Unger up! If Mack doesn't work out at all he slides to 2nd round. Unger could pass him with a strong combine and be the 1st INTERIOR OL off the board.

WoodleyofTroy
02-18-2009, 05:10 PM

Unger up! If Mack doesn't work out at all he slides to 2nd round. Unger could pass him with a strong combine and be the 1st INTERIOR OL off the board.

Or it just means Mack falls to us at #32.

RuthlessBurgher
02-18-2009, 05:10 PM
The Steelers will conduct a 15 minute long one-on-one interview him at the combine (which is the most important part of the combine anyway...talking to these kids instead of getting essentially meaningless numbers like 40 times, broad jumps, and vertical leaps).

The Steelers will attend his Pro Day on 3-18-08.

The Steelers will invite Mack to their facility prior to the draft as well.

We will get plenty of information on this kid whether he works out this weekend or not.

Ozey74
02-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Miller had been projected as a New York Jets pick in many mock drafts, but the Jets traded the 26th pick for Oakland tight end Doug Jolley.

This worked out great!

Jom112
02-18-2009, 06:03 PM

I hope is that you guys take Unger and let Mack drop to the 2nd round. Mack is far and away better than Unger.

People are toting Unger's versatility but in reality does anyone think Unger is going to be able to play OT in the NFL? Just because he did it in college a couple of seasons ago doesn't mean he can do it in the NFL. Mack has shown that he is the better Center and Guard than Unger. I don't see Unger being better than Mack in the NFL...

Lebsteel
02-18-2009, 06:26 PM

I hope is that you guys take Unger and let Mack drop to the 2nd round. Mack is far and away better than Unger.

People are toting Unger's versatility but in reality does anyone think Unger is going to be able to play OT in the NFL? Just because he did it in college a couple of seasons ago doesn't mean he can do it in the NFL. Mack has shown that he is the better Center and Guard than Unger. I don't see Unger being better than Mack in the NFL...

Jom, pardon my ignorance, but, are you a respectable Bungal fan? I totally agree about Mack, but I hope we grab him at #32.

What is up with Mike Mayock at NFL.com? He has Mack ranked as the #3 center behind Unger and Wood. I think everywhere else I have looked, Mack is the top center. I seriously doubt that Unger could play LT or even RT in the NFL. First of all, he seems a little too slow and secondly, he would have to put on another 20 lbs. to play tackle, so if he is slow now, what will the extra weight do to him?

steelsnis
02-18-2009, 07:14 PM

That's a bit shortsighted isn't it??? From what I recall, Lamar Woodley was invited to the combine but had a hamstring injury and chose not to workout. He worked out later at his own pro day.

I'd challenge anyone who thinks Woodley's a prima donna. In fact, it's funny how overrated the combine actually is. Here's a recap of Woodley from before the draft from Scout.com:

Lamarr Woodley/Michigan: We wrote last week that Woodley's workout performances had been so poor it was decided he would not participate at the combine. That is exactly what happened today as he did nothing. People close to the situation told us Woodley has been intimidated since the first day of Senior Bowl practice, when he was beat up on then came up lame with a hamstring injury. That injury is questionable to many. The same people told us there is a fear on Woodley's behalf of performing poorly. Regardless, his stock is taking a major tumble and right now he is a stretch to stay in the top 60 picks.

I'd have a hard time negatively judging Mack because he isn't working out in Indy.

Jom112
02-18-2009, 07:45 PM

Jom, pardon my ignorance, but, are you a respectable Bungal fan? I totally agree about Mack, but I hope we grab him at #32.

What is up with Mike Mayock at NFL.com? He has Mack ranked as the #3 center behind Unger and Wood. I think everywhere else I have looked, Mack is the top center. I seriously doubt that Unger could play LT or even RT in the NFL. First of all, he seems a little too slow and secondly, he would have to put on another 20 lbs. to play tackle, so if he is slow now, what will the extra weight do to him?

I'm not sure what Mike Mayock was thinking. It could just be a case of someone having different rankings just for the sake of having different rankings. I do think Wood is the second best Center though right behind Mack. I would be happy with Mack or Wood.

And yes I am a Bengals fan...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-18-2009, 07:57 PM

Or it just means Mack falls to us at #32.

I want Mack...I am picking him in my mock. I like him better than Unger. My statement might be misunderstood. It was meant more on the line of your statement. Maybe I should have said "Mack slides to the 2nd round...If the Steelers were not picking #32!" I hope he doesn't work out at his Proday! Someone help me hold this net!!!!

Iron Shiek
02-18-2009, 11:15 PM

That's a bit shortsighted isn't it??? From what I recall, Lamar Woodley was invited to the combine but had a hamstring injury and chose not to workout. He worked out later at his own pro day.

I'd challenge anyone who thinks Woodley's a prima donna. In fact, it's funny how overrated the combine actually is. Here's a recap of Woodley from before the draft from Scout.com:

[quote:2u2irqmb]Lamarr Woodley/Michigan: We wrote last week that Woodley's workout performances had been so poor it was decided he would not participate at the combine. That is exactly what happened today as he did nothing. People close to the situation told us Woodley has been intimidated since the first day of Senior Bowl practice, when he was beat up on then came up lame with a hamstring injury. That injury is questionable to many. The same people told us there is a fear on Woodley's behalf of performing poorly. Regardless, his stock is taking a major tumble and right now he is a stretch to stay in the top 60 picks.

I'd have a hard time negatively judging Mack because he isn't working out in Indy.[/quote:2u2irqmb]

That makes you wonder how much the future of an athlete is based on the situation he lands in. Does Woodley become the beast he is on, say, the Cowboys....or the Jets or some other team. Under the tutelage of our LB coach, our DCOR, and others maybe he excelled sooner than he would've normally. Just food for thought...who knows.

Chadman
02-19-2009, 12:41 AM
Didn't Woodley sprain his ankle at the Senior Bowl? Pretty sure that was the tip of the iceburg as far as his fall from the First Round.

Sometimes, you have to look past a prepared practice session (combine) & a livestock show (Senior Bowl) & look more at the college career (when you try to assess anything, don't you use history as a guide to the assessment? Surely an excellent college career holds more sway than a one-off 40 yard dash?)

calmkiller
02-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Didn't Woodley sprain his ankle at the Senior Bowl? Pretty sure that was the tip of the iceburg as far as his fall from the First Round.

Sometimes, you have to look past a prepared practice session (combine) & a livestock show (Senior Bowl) & look more at the college career (when you try to assess anything, don't you use history as a guide to the assessment? Surely an excellent college career holds more sway than a one-off 40 yard dash?)

For the Steelers yes. What we are hoping is its no for everyone else!! FALL BABY FALL

stlrz d
02-19-2009, 11:05 AM
The Ravens pick before us. If they lose their center (Jason Brown) to FA do they take Mack ahead of us? If so who do we take then? Or do you think we try to trade up to get him before the Rats do?

Iron Shiek
02-19-2009, 11:07 AM

Yeah, if you are going to weight everything (which I'm sure some teams have some kind of weighting system), I'd put on field play as 70% of my interest in a player. Any interviews at Senior Bowl/Combine/Visits as 20%, then scheduled workouts (or Livestock shows as Chadman puts it) at 10%.

Does that sound like a fair classification and am I missing anything. I considered "off-field" issues/behavior but lumped that into the interviews category.

RuthlessBurgher
02-19-2009, 11:14 AM
The Ravens pick before us. If they lose their center (Jason Brown) to FA do they take Mack ahead of us? If so who do we take then? Or do you think we try to trade up to get him before the Rats do?

If we make the same exact trade that we made with the Giants after the last Super Bowl to get Santonio (give up a 3rd and a 4th to go from 32 to 25), we would be one spot ahead of Baltimore. Parcells already has 2 picks in the 2nd round...I'm sure he would love to have 2 picks in both the 3rd and 4th round as well just to move back 7 spots.

I would rather trade #32, a 3rd, and a 5th for #25
or #32, a 3rd, and a 4th for #25 and a 6th
(since both work out more evenly that #32, a 3rd, and a 4th for #25, according to the draft trade value chart), but sometimes you have to give up a bit more if you are the aggressor in wanting to move up.

WoodleyofTroy
02-19-2009, 12:44 PM

Good observation. Hopefully they'll sign him them. However CB and LB are a need for them as well, and in the first they might get better value with all the talented 1st round Corners and 3-4 Outside Linebackers expected to go in the top 40.

WoodleyofTroy
02-19-2009, 12:55 PM
If we make the same exact trade that we made with the Giants after the last Super Bowl to get Santonio (give up a 3rd and a 4th to go from 32 to 25), we would be one spot ahead of Baltimore. Parcells already has 2 picks in the 2nd round...I'm sure he would love to have 2 picks in both the 3rd and 4th round as well just to move back 7 spots.

(since both work out more evenly that #32, a 3rd, and a 4th for #25, according to the draft trade value chart), but sometimes you have to give up a bit more if you are the aggressor in wanting to move up.

Kind of ironic, the year we traded up for Holmes, I was keeping my fingers crossed for Nick Mangold around this time. Another Center. But he wasn't the value Alex Mack is today. I didn't have that feeling like I did with Ben and Heath, that he would be the pick. Chad Jackson, LenDale White, Sinorice Moss, etc. were also in the mix (by others). Santonio Holmes to me, was like getting Mendenhall. It never even crossed my mind. Wasn't realistic.

Anyways, hopefully we don't trade up for anyone else. We need the Center this time lol.

RuthlessBurgher
02-19-2009, 01:23 PM

Kind of ironic, the year we traded up for Holmes, I was keeping my fingers crossed for Nick Mangold around this time. Another Center. But he wasn't the value Alex Mack is today. I didn't have that feeling like I did with Ben and Heath, that he would be the pick. Chad Jackson, LenDale White, Sinorice Moss, etc. were also in the mix (by others). Santonio Holmes to me, was like getting Mendenhall. It never even crossed my mind. Wasn't realistic.

Anyways, hopefully we don't trade up for anyone else. We need the Center this time lol.

The only other trade I would be amenable to (it is even more of a stretch, though) is if one of the top 4 potential franchise LT's unexpectedly fell. I mentioned this before, but say Michael Oher was not picked in the top 13 picks. I would trade our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks to the Saints for pick #14 to take Oher. Our top 3 picks are worth a combined 976 points on the trade value chart while the Saints' 1st round pick is worth 1100 (but they may be willing to give up those points since they only have a 1st, 4th, and 7th round pick in this draft because of previous trades with the Giants, Jets, and Packers. You simply cannot come out of the draft with only 3 players...especially the Saints, who had the imfamous one player Ricky Williams draft. After the trade, they could have a respectable draft class with picks at the ends of round 1, 2, and 3, plus picks in the middle of rounds 4 and 7). We would still have the untradeable 3rd round comp pick for Faneca, plus our regular picks at the end of rounds 4-7, plus the extra 7th rounder from Tampa, still giving us our usual 7 pick draft class. We could still possibly get another quality player in the trenches with the Faneca pick like G Kraig Urbik, C Eric Wood, DE Fili Moala, or NT Terrance Taylor.

steeler_george
02-20-2009, 06:44 AM
I don't think it will effect him. It's after all he is not a "skilled" position player.

But if he happens to fall, then all that means the draft just got whole lot deeper for us. Because most have him rated as the top interior OL, if he he slides so do the other OL.