PDA

View Full Version : Flippy's Pre-Combine Mock Draft

flippy
02-18-2009, 01:36 PM
There's a lot of unknowns going into free agency, but I do think we'll have an opportunity to take the best player available for most of the draft.

1. Alex Mack - California - C - 6'4" - 320lbs

If we're gonna pound the rock up the gut, might as well pick up the best center in the draft. Let's stablize the line as best we can for the foreseeable future. Every great line needs an anchor. Pittsburgh's known for our anchors. It only makes sense that we pick this kid while everyone else takes tackles.

2. Victor Harris - VirginiaTech - CB - 6'0" - 200lbs

Big, strong, athletic CB that fits the mold for Lebeau's defense. And he can step in as a return man on day 1. The more we improve our secondary, the better our pass rush becomes. Whether we sign BMac or not, it can't hurt having another quality CB.

3. Terrance Taylor - Michigan - NT - 6'0" - 320lbs

Casey Hampton is past his peak which I think happened in 05. He's been injured this past year, so he may play better next year. But it's important we look to the future without Big Casey. And TT fits the bill perfectly. This kid's a monster. Former high school wrestler. I'd grab him a round earlier if I had to.

4. Alex Boone - Ohio St - RT - 6'8" - 320lbs

Give me a big monster body to throw at the RT position so we can slide Colon inside to guard. Could you see a lineup of Starks - Kemo - Mack - Colon - Boone blocking for us? That'd be some big boys up front that could do some damage.

5. Greg Carr - Florida St - WR - 6'6" - 220lbs

Not sure why he's overlooked. Just a good quality all around WR. I've seen tons of highlights of this kid, but he's barely mentioned on any of the draft sites. I think he can be a quick impact late round WR.

6. Quinn Johnson - LSU - FB - 6'1" - 260lbs

FWP has been asking for a FB. Let's get him the biggest one out there. We're talking 1 dimensional FB right here. This guy makes Kreider look versatile. But he's a huge and powerful lead blocker. And we need to upgrade Carey Davis.

7. Phil Trautwein - Florida - LT - 6'6" - 315lbs

Hard working kid that may have the mental makeup to make it in the NFL. Not invited to the combine, so he should have a chip on his shoulder to prove the doubters wrong. Not the most naturally talented guy, but from what I've heard one of the hardest workers in college football.

MeetJoeGreene
02-18-2009, 01:44 PM
That is an excellent mock draft.

However you did not take into account our compensatory picks.

Oviedo
02-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Boone has just recently been arrested and has a known drinking problem. Not a Steelers guy--scratch him from the list. Not thrilled with Harris or Carr particularly the latter. Consider the following:

1. Max Unger, OL, 6’5” 300lbs, Oregon..
2. Kraig Urbik, , OG/OT, 6’6”, 332lbs., Wisconsin.
3a. Ron Brace, DL 6’3” 320lbs, BC.
3b. Joe Burnett, CB/KR, 5’11”, 185lbs, Central Florida.
4. Will Johnson, DL, 6’5” 290lbs, Michigan .
5. Mike Thomas, WR, 5’8” 195lbs, Arizona.
6. Eric Vandenheuvel, OL, 6’7”, 324lbs, Wisconsin.
7. James Williams, DB, 6’, 180lbs, Southern Conn.
7. Will Ta’ufo’ou, FB, 5’11”, 253lbs, California

Discipline of Steel
02-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Boone has just recently been arrested and has a known drinking problem. Not a Steelers guy--scratch him from the list. Not thrilled with Harris or Carr particularly the latter. Consider the following:

After having the Bad Ma'afala (classic Berman) on our squad, I guess a Tough Ta'ufo'ou works for me.

flippy
02-18-2009, 02:00 PM

ooooh, i get an extra 3 and 7 pick?

flippy
02-18-2009, 02:06 PM

oops, nix Boone. what's wrong with harris and carr? i'm looking at harris as a guy that will need to develop but who's a good athlete that can help our return game right away. i see him as a guy who could be considered a steal a few years from now with the right coaching. and what better DB coach is there than tomlin?

with carr, i can't figure out why no one likes him.

RuthlessBurgher
02-18-2009, 02:20 PM

ooooh, i get an extra 3 and 7 pick?

We will likely get a compensatory pick at the end of the 3rd round for Faneca (not confirmed yet, though)

The extra 7th is Tampa's pick in the middle of the round as a result of the Mahan trade.

Oviedo
02-18-2009, 03:32 PM

oops, nix Boone. what's wrong with harris and carr? i'm looking at harris as a guy that will need to develop but who's a good athlete that can help our return game right away. i see him as a guy who could be considered a steal a few years from now with the right coaching. and what better DB coach is there than tomlin?

with carr, i can't figure out why no one likes him.

Carr=Dallas Baker. The guy just fades away in big games. I'd take Mike Thomas, Deon Butler or Jordan Norwood before Carr.

Harris may be good although Round 2 is too early IMO. I just really like Joe Burnett and the guy is a monster in the return game. Big time playmaker who is better than Asante Samuel coming out of Central Florida. Either Burnett or Harris late in Round 3 or 4 would be good.

WoodleyofTroy
02-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Although I cringe when I see mocks putting him at #32, I wouldn't be surprised to see Victor Harris back in the first round after the combine is over. End of the 2nd is definitely not too early. He's a much better product than Bryant McFadden was coming out when he went at that spot.

flippy
02-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Here's an update with an extra 3rd and 7th.

If we're gonna pound the rock up the gut, might as well pick up the best center in the draft. Let's stablize the line as best we can for the foreseeable future. Every great line needs an anchor. Pittsburgh's known for our anchors. It only makes sense that we pick this kid while everyone else takes tackles.

Big, strong, athletic CB that fits the mold for Lebeau's defense. And he can step in as a return man on day 1. The more we improve our secondary, the better our pass rush becomes. Whether we sign BMac or not, it can't hurt having another quality CB.

3a. Terrance Taylor - Michigan - NT - 6'0" - 320lbs

Casey Hampton is past his peak which I think happened in 05. He's been injured this past year, so he may play better next year. But it's important we look to the future without Big Casey. And TT fits the bill perfectly. This kid's a monster. Former high school wrestler. I'd grab him a round earlier if I had to.

3b. Jarron Gilbert - San Jose State - DE - 6'6" - 280lbs

Since we get an extra pick here, let's throw it toward the freak that can jump out of a pool of water from a standing start. He's built to be a 3-4 DE. Let's take a chance.

Give me a big monster body to throw at the RT position so we can slide Colon inside to guard. Could you see a lineup of Starks - Kemo - Mack - Colon - Boone blocking for us? That'd be some big boys up front that could do some damage.

5. Kyle Moore - USC - DE - 6'6" - 275lbs

Looks like a good fit for a 3-4 DE. Is this guy the next Brett Keisel? He's a solid player and good athlete.

6. Greg Carr - Florida St - WR - 6'6" - 220lbs

Not sure why he's overlooked. Just a good quality all around WR. I've seen tons of highlights of this kid, but he's barely mentioned on any of the draft sites. I think he can be a quick impact late round WR.

7a.. Quinn Johnson - LSU - FB - 6'1" - 260lbs

FWP has been asking for a FB. Let's get him the biggest one out there. We're talking 1 dimensional FB right here. This guy makes Kreider look versatile. But he's a huge and powerful lead blocker. And we need to upgrade Carey Davis.

7b. Phil Trautwein - Florida - LT - 6'6" - 315lbs

Hard working kid that may have the mental makeup to make it in the NFL. Not invited to the combine, so he should have a chip on his shoulder to prove the doubters wrong. Not the most naturally talented guy, but from what I've heard one of the hardest workers in college football.

Oviedo
02-18-2009, 06:56 PM

Since we get an extra pick here, let's throw it toward the freak that can jump out of a pool of water from a standing start. He's built to be a 3-4 DE. Let's take a chance.

Looks like a good fit for a 3-4 DE. Is this guy the next Brett Keisel? He's a solid player and good athlete.

I like your: #1, 3a, 3b, 5 & 7a.

I'd be surprised if Quinn Johnson lasts until the 7th round. With his Senior Bowl is is probably gone by the end of Round 5.

If you are looking at 3-4 DE in Round 5 also take a look at Will Johnson from Michigan and Zach Potter from Nebraska.

As previously stated Alex Boone is poision right now and could very well go undrafted. Take Joe Burnett from Central Florida there as he provide CB depth and solves your returner problems.

flippy
02-18-2009, 07:26 PM

I'd be surprised if Quinn Johnson lasts until the 7th round. With his Senior Bowl is is probably gone by the end of Round 5.

If you are looking at 3-4 DE in Round 5 also take a look at Will Johnson from Michigan and Zach Potter from Nebraska.

As previously stated Alex Boone is poision right now and could very well go undrafted. Take Joe Burnett from Central Florida there as he provide CB depth and solves your returner problems.

I'm not sure where any of these guys will end up going. This is all wild arse guessing at this point in time.

Good suggestions.

WHat's the knock on Harris? I think he's one of the better fits for Lebeau's defense. Granted, he needs to develop. But imho, his upside is as good as anyone's.

Re: Quinn, I bumped him down a round to fit in Moore in round 5. He's one dimensional, so I would think he might not even get drafted. I was thinking 6 originally because someone probably wants a blocking FB.

steelz09
02-18-2009, 10:20 PM
I like it, except I would draft an OT or DT in round two and save the CB for round 4-5 range.

I think that could solidify our o-line for the future.

Oviedo
02-19-2009, 09:24 AM

I'm not sure where any of these guys will end up going. This is all wild arse guessing at this point in time.

Good suggestions.

WHat's the knock on Harris? I think he's one of the better fits for Lebeau's defense. Granted, he needs to develop. But imho, his upside is as good as anyone's.

Re: Quinn, I bumped him down a round to fit in Moore in round 5. He's one dimensional, so I would think he might not even get drafted. I was thinking 6 originally because someone probably wants a blocking FB.

At CB Harris may be good. Here is some info on Joe Burnett for you and others to consider:

Record-setting corner Joe Burnett is clearly the best NFL prospect that the Knights had on the 2008 roster, and he didn’t get completely shut out of the postseason all-star games as he will take part in the Texas vs. the Nation game, Saturday, January 31st at the Sun Bowl in Texas. Burnett was the only player in the nation to finish in the top-20 in both kickoff and punt returns (7th kickoff, 10th punt), and finished in the top-100 in all-purpose yardage despite not playing a single snap of offense. Burnett was the Knights finest corner, as most opponents looked to the opposite side of the field when deciding to pass.

At this point, the consensus opinion among scouts is that Joe Burnett is a mid-round draft choice, as he doesn’t have overwhelming speed and he is considered to translate best on the next level in a zone type of scheme. The NFL comparisons used to describe Burnett’s style of play is at best, former Knight Asante Samuel, and a lower-case scenario would be Chicago’s Nathan Vasher. Burnett will have an opportunity to raise his stock to potentially a first-day pick with a solid combine workout.

flippy
02-19-2009, 12:21 PM

Good suggestions.

At CB Harris may be good. Here is some info on Joe Burnett for you and others to consider:

Record-setting corner Joe Burnett is clearly the best NFL prospect that the Knights had on the 2008 roster, and he didn’t get completely shut out of the postseason all-star games as he will take part in the Texas vs. the Nation game, Saturday, January 31st at the Sun Bowl in Texas. Burnett was the only player in the nation to finish in the top-20 in both kickoff and punt returns (7th kickoff, 10th punt), and finished in the top-100 in all-purpose yardage despite not playing a single snap of offense. Burnett was the Knights finest corner, as most opponents looked to the opposite side of the field when deciding to pass.

At this point, the consensus opinion among scouts is that Joe Burnett is a mid-round draft choice, as he doesn’t have overwhelming speed and he is considered to translate best on the next level in a zone type of scheme. The NFL comparisons used to describe Burnett’s style of play is at best, former Knight Asante Samuel, and a lower-case scenario would be Chicago’s Nathan Vasher. Burnett will have an opportunity to raise his stock to potentially a first-day pick with a solid combine workout.

If he's Asante Samuel, I'd draft him in the top 5.

flippy
02-19-2009, 12:24 PM
How bout Mario Andretti?

The greatest race car driver ever?

May have to kick someone off the mount....

Oviedo
02-19-2009, 12:30 PM

Good suggestions.

If he's Asante Samuel, I'd draft him in the top 5.

I have seen both play at UCF and I think Burnett is better at this pointthan Samuel was plus the return abilities of Burnett are excellent.

I would hesitate taking Burnett in Round 4 or maybe even 3b.

RuthlessBurgher
02-19-2009, 02:29 PM
How bout Mario Andretti?

The greatest race car driver ever?

May have to kick someone off the mount....

Wrong thread, Flip. I don't think Mario Andretti belongs in your pre-combine mock draft. You can argue about him on the PA Sports Mount Rushmore thread, though. :wink:

flippy
02-19-2009, 02:30 PM
I have seen both play at UCF and I think Burnett is better at this pointthan Samuel was plus the return abilities of Burnett are excellent.

Sounds good to me.

Then how bout we go:

Mack
Gilbert
Taylor
Moore
Burnett

in the 1st four rounds?

This is based on feedback that Gilbert and Moore might have to go higher.

RuthlessBurgher
02-19-2009, 02:38 PM

Sounds good to me.

Then how bout we go:

Mack
Gilbert
Taylor
Moore
Burnett

in the 1st four rounds?

I doubt that they would take 3 straight d-lineman in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Replace one of 'em with another o-lineman instead (I think we need a 2nd o-lineman before round 5) and that would look pretty decent to me. You could get your second 3-4 DE to be a developmental prospect (like Everette Pendescleaux or Pannel Egboh) later in the draft.

steelblood
02-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Replacing Colon with Boone at RT may very well make things worse.

The rest is ok.

Oviedo
02-19-2009, 03:11 PM

Sounds good to me.

Then how bout we go:

Mack
Gilbert
Taylor
Moore
Burnett

in the 1st four rounds?

I doubt that they would take 3 straight d-lineman in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Replace one of 'em with another o-lineman instead (I think we need a 2nd o-lineman before round 5) and that would look pretty decent to me. You could get your second 3-4 DE to be a developmental prospect (like Everette Pendescleaux or Pannel Egboh) later in the draft.

I agree. With the first 4 picks I'd like to see 2 DL and 2 OL. Use Rounds 4 and 5 for skill players to add depth, e.g. CB and WR. Then add some more OL and DL depth in Round 6 and 7.

One DL player to keep an eye on at the combine is Zach Potter from Nebraska. He seems to be very much a Smith or Kiesel type player in terms of size and could be a very good 3-4 DE.

Oviedo
02-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Replacing Colon with Boone at RT may very well make things worse.

The rest is ok.

Boone has a known drinking problem and if he is even drafted I'd be surprised if it is before someone takes a risk in Round 5 or later.

TallyStiller
02-19-2009, 10:21 PM
As an FSU guy, I can tell you that Greg Carr is a tremendous athlete, a former basketball player who is very good at going up and getting the ball at it's highest point... and a guy who lacks concentration and focus, runs lazy pass routes, and doesn't just take plays off, but entire GAMES. Somebody will waste a pick on him because of his physical skills, but he has spent four years at FSU in the coaches' doghouse more often than out.

As to Harris and Burnett - both guys return kicks, right? That's a VERY important consideration, IMHO. I'm tired of giving up 10 - 15 yards of FP every time we receive a kickoff because the only guy the coaches trust to catch the freaking ball back there runs a 4.8 40. Also think we're asking for trouble running our de facto #1 receiver out there to return punts. I'd take either guy - Harris R2, Burnett R3comp, and be thrilled.