PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Baker

flippy
02-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Anyone hear anything about him lately?

He was coming along last offseason. Looked decent in the preseason. And then heard very little about him over the course of the year.

Assuming someone would want to offer Nate a nice little contract, could Baker become our #4 WR next season?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Anyone hear anything about him lately?

He was coming along last offseason. Looked decent in the preseason. And then heard very little about him over the course of the year.

Assuming someone would want to offer Nate a nice little contract, could Baker become our #4 WR next season?

I think he will be in a battle with Nance for a spot. I think the Steelers were a little disappointed with him when he got a chance in the regular season. He didn't carry over from the preseason. Depending on if they sign Washington & draft another WR...The spot could be the #4. I don't know if he is ready for the #4. We will see.

MaxAMillion
02-18-2009, 02:04 PM
I hate the idea of putting trust in Sweed and Baker for the 3rd and 4th WR positions. We definitely need to draft a WR in the middle rounds to at least provide meaningful competition. Losing Washington means we have some unproven WR for next season. I believe talent needs to be added to that position.

stlrz d
02-18-2009, 02:11 PM
I hate the idea of putting trust in Sweed and Baker for the 3rd and 4th WR positions. We definitely need to draft a WR in the middle rounds to at least provide meaningful competition. Losing Washington means we have some unproven WR for next season. I believe talent needs to be added to that position.

Unless something unexpected happens in the draft (like Sweed falling to us in round 2) I'll be pissed if they take a WR before round 5.

costanza2k1
02-18-2009, 02:14 PM

I think Sweed will be fine, he's shown the ability to get open and block...you just don't forget how to catch the ball. Everything that happened to him this year probably just overwhelmed him, I believe they call this being a rookie.

Oviedo
02-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Baker is nothing better than a journeyman WR. He would be no loss and we should look at guys like Deon Butler, WR, 510, 170lbs, Penn State, Mike Thomas, 58 195lbs, Arizona, Jordan Norwood, WR, Penn State or Sammie Stroughter, 6, 186lbs, Oregon State in the 4th or 5th round to push him off the roster.

We need WRs who can catch the ball underneath and get yards after the catch.

Nance isn't the answer either. Nance is just collecting a paycheck courtesy of his college buddy Big Ben.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-18-2009, 04:34 PM

Unless something unexpected happens in the draft (like Sweed falling to us in round 2) I'll be pissed if they take a WR before round 5. I'm with you! Sign Washington for "Cedric Wilson" money and the WRs are in place. The first 4 picks for the Steelers in the draft better have a combined average 300 lbs!!!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Baker is nothing better than a journeyman WR. He would be no loss and we should look at guys like Deon Butler, WR, 510, 170lbs, Penn State, Mike Thomas, 58 195lbs, Arizona, Jordan Norwood, WR, Penn State or Sammie Stroughter, 6, 186lbs, Oregon State in the 4th or 5th round to push him off the roster.

We need WRs who can catch the ball underneath and get yards after the catch.

Nance isn't the answer either. Nance is just collecting a paycheck courtesy of his college buddy Big Ben.

I think Nance is better than Baker but I wouldn't be surprised if neither make it this year. If Washington is here...I think everyone behind Sweed could be upgraded and later in the draft would work. If Washington leaves...We need a quality #4 and I'm not ready to say he is on the roster!

Oviedo
02-18-2009, 04:40 PM
[quote=MaxAMillion]I hate the idea of putting trust in Sweed and Baker for the 3rd and 4th WR positions. We definitely need to draft a WR in the middle rounds to at least provide meaningful competition. Losing Washington means we have some unproven WR for next season. I believe talent needs to be added to that position.

Unless something unexpected happens in the draft (like Sweed falling to us in round 2) I'll be pissed if they take a WR before round 5. I'm with you! Sign Washington for "Cedric Wilson" money and the WRs are in place. The first 4 picks for the Steelers in the draft better have a combined average 300 lbs!!![/quote:18pzxchr]

Joe Burnett, CB is only 185lbs and he will be the 3b pick. Will skew the weight average :wink:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-18-2009, 04:53 PM
[quote=MaxAMillion]I hate the idea of putting trust in Sweed and Baker for the 3rd and 4th WR positions. We definitely need to draft a WR in the middle rounds to at least provide meaningful competition. Losing Washington means we have some unproven WR for next season. I believe talent needs to be added to that position.

Unless something unexpected happens in the draft (like Sweed falling to us in round 2) I'll be pissed if they take a WR before round 5. I'm with you! Sign Washington for "Cedric Wilson" money and the WRs are in place. The first 4 picks for the Steelers in the draft better have a combined average 300 lbs!!!

Joe Burnett, CB is only 185lbs and he will be the 3b pick. Will skew the weight average :wink:[/quote:2i7emrli]

1ST - ALEX MACK C/G 315
2ND - PHIL LOADHOLT RT 345
3A - JARRON GILBERT DE 287
3B - DOMINIQUE JOHNSON CB 192
4TH - SAMMIE LEE HILL DT 331

I guess I should have said first 5 picks to average 294lbs in my mock.

TallyStiller
02-19-2009, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't be upset with another WR, to tell the truth... not R1, though. Outside of Santonio, Hines is getting older and more injury prone every year, and is a UFA after this season, Sweed is to this point undependable, and Baker has shown nothing. He doesn't have the speed to get off the line in the NFL, and was more of an underneath guy even in college. If we could get a speedy playmaker to fall to us R2 who would give us an immediate option to push Sweed for #3 and a potential #2 or dynamic slot option after Hines' inevitable, though much dreaded, departure to either retirement or free agency it'd be acceptable. Also be nice to find a kick returner who runs better than a 4.9 40 after running out the Dump Truck and Gary Russell the last 2 years. Derrick Williams, Joaquin Iglesias, Louis Murphy, Mohammed Massaquoi could all be possibilities... you can't have a franchise QB and not give him enough weapons. It would be a complete waste of the millions we pay him.

Jooser
02-20-2009, 12:08 AM
I was smashing my head against the TV over the dropped passes last year too. BUT, I think that Sweed is going to disprove the Bust sign on his forehead next year like Timmons did this year. He's young and made some rookie mistakes, however costly they could've been. He showed me that he's got the raw ability to just get open. He blew by defenders in both playoff games. He showed alot of character by delivering a crushing, Hines style block following his dropped pass. Honestly, I think we'll resign Washington and he and Sweed are going to step up nicely next year. This draft year HAS to be the year of the LINES - both offensive and defensive. They are priority 1.