PDA

View Full Version : Kemo's Agent is Nuts

phillyesq
02-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Offensive linemen await their fates
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The early plans the Steelers have for remaking their offensive line should be known over the next 10 days as they either try to sign or ignore the five veteran free agents who work there.

The agent for one, starting guard Chris Kemoeatu, expects to meet with the Steelers this week and believes an offer will come out of it.

"I would hope so," said Ken Vierra. "Having not spoken with them yet, I don't know where they're at, but he's one of the better guards in the league, he's 26 and has room for improvement. If you have one of the better guards in the league, you try to keep him."

Vierra will arrive tomorrow in Indianapolis, where team personnel gather this week for the annual scouting combine, and plans to talk to the Steelers there.

Kemoeatu joins three veteran tackles -- Marvel Smith, Max Starks and Trai Essex -- as unrestricted free agents if they do not sign by Feb. 27. Tackle Willie Colon will be a restricted free agent.

Kemoeatu replaced former Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca, who left after the 2007 season as a free agent. He started every game and earned $1,417,000, the amount he received in a one-year contract tendered him by the Steelers last year when he was a restricted free agent.

The sides tried to come to a longer contract term last year but were unable to do so for a player entering his fourth season and first as a starter.

"I did have talks with them," Vierra said. "To be honest with you ... we were talking about a guy who never started. How do you put that together?"

Vierra said Kemoeatu wants to stay with the Steelers.

"He absolutely really loves the city of Pittsburgh and, when you win the Super Bowl, everything is awesome. I need to find where they're at and where they're headed. They have a lot of things to do out there, and Chris Kemoeatu is only one of them."

The Steelers have made linebacker James Harrison, the NFL's defensive player of the year, their priority, even though he has one year left on his contract. They started negotiating with his agent, Pittsburgh's Bill Parise, two weeks ago and continue to work on an extension.

The Steelers have until tomorrow if they want to place their franchise or transition tags on any unrestricted free agents.
Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

One of the better lineman in the league???

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-18-2009, 12:00 PM

The early plans the Steelers have for remaking their offensive line should be known over the next 10 days as they either try to sign or ignore the five veteran free agents who work there.

The agent for one, starting guard Chris Kemoeatu, expects to meet with the Steelers this week and believes an offer will come out of it.

"I would hope so," said Ken Vierra. "Having not spoken with them yet, I don't know where they're at, but he's one of the better guards in the league, he's 26 and has room for improvement. If you have one of the better guards in the league, you try to keep him."

Vierra will arrive tomorrow in Indianapolis, where team personnel gather this week for the annual scouting combine, and plans to talk to the Steelers there.

Kemoeatu joins three veteran tackles -- Marvel Smith, Max Starks and Trai Essex -- as unrestricted free agents if they do not sign by Feb. 27. Tackle Willie Colon will be a restricted free agent.

Kemoeatu replaced former Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca, who left after the 2007 season as a free agent. He started every game and earned $1,417,000, the amount he received in a one-year contract tendered him by the Steelers last year when he was a restricted free agent.

The sides tried to come to a longer contract term last year but were unable to do so for a player entering his fourth season and first as a starter.

"I did have talks with them," Vierra said. "To be honest with you ... we were talking about a guy who never started. How do you put that together?"

"He absolutely really loves the city of Pittsburgh and, when you win the Super Bowl, everything is awesome. I need to find where they're at and where they're headed. They have a lot of things to do out there, and Chris Kemoeatu is only one of them."

The Steelers have made linebacker James Harrison, the NFL's defensive player of the year, their priority, even though he has one year left on his contract. They started negotiating with his agent, Pittsburgh's Bill Parise, two weeks ago and continue to work on an extension.

The Steelers have until tomorrow if they want to place their franchise or transition tags on any unrestricted free agents.

In all honesty, he is a very good run blocker. Kemo struggled with stunt pick ups. Something that could be improved with coaching and experience. He isn't a finished project. The thing is, if the Steelers could get him under contract for what he has done versus what he could become...Sign him!!! If you can get him under contract long-term in the 2-2.5 starting range he is a bargain. Lay some incentives in their for starts & awards and he could develop and get paid. If his agent wants 4 mil, which is what I think he will want, let him walk. Not worth the "risk-reward" when you have a LT issues and Harrison, Miller, Colon, Washington, & McFadden looking for new contracts.

pfelix73
02-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Yea, why is he nuts? He's trying to get a fair contract for his client. The guy came in and started all 16 games for the SB champs. Not too bad for on the resume.

I'd like to see Kemo return with a long term contract. That would solve the OG situation for a few more years, then onward to the OT positions and DL....

flippy
02-18-2009, 12:09 PM
He's not nuts, just trying to get paid.

I'm sure when the Steelers meet with him, they'll pop in a tape of Ben getting killed because of Kemo and then both sides will come up with something reasonable.

This kid has some promise, but miles to go before he sleeps.

feltdizz
02-18-2009, 12:21 PM
What should an agent say? He struggles against stunts and got Ben killed a few times? He is young. Resign him and work with him. We give the WR's, LB's and RB's time to develop... let him do the same. He is a good pulling G he just sucks at stunts..

and I actually think it's the system and not him.. seems like everyone ignores the person in front of them to double on the inside guy.

MeetJoeGreene
02-18-2009, 12:25 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY

In all honesty, he is a very good run blocker. Kemo struggled with stunt pick ups. Something that could be improved with coaching and experience. He isn't a finished project. The thing is, if the Steelers could get him under contract for what he has done versus what he could become...Sign him!!! If you can get him under contract long-term in the 2-2.5 starting range he is a bargain. Lay some incentives in their for starts & awards and he could develop and get paid. If his agent wants 4 mil, which is what I think he will want, let him walk. Not worth the "risk-reward" when you have a LT issues and Harrison, Miller, Colon, Washington, & McFadden looking for new contracts.[/quote]

I dunno. He is probably powerful and good straightahead, but I don't see him being able to pull a whole lot. Plus, is he suited for our zone blocking scheme (both physically and mentally).

Oviedo
02-18-2009, 12:28 PM

In all honesty, he is a very good run blocker. Kemo struggled with stunt pick ups. Something that could be improved with coaching and experience. He isn't a finished project. The thing is, if the Steelers could get him under contract for what he has done versus what he could become...Sign him!!! If you can get him under contract long-term in the 2-2.5 starting range he is a bargain. Lay some incentives in their for starts & awards and he could develop and get paid. If his agent wants 4 mil, which is what I think he will want, let him walk. Not worth the "risk-reward" when you have a LT issues and Harrison, Miller, Colon, Washington, & McFadden looking for new contracts.

:Agree He is good and not even close to worth a $4M salary. If he could be signed for bwteen $2-3M then that is probably a fair cap value for him at the Guard position.

Bmac is out the door. We just need to all accept that. His agent is going to want a $5M+ contract and with the need to extend Harrison on the defensive side and the need to lock in Woodley long term Bmac is the odd man out. You can only have so much of your cap tied up on the defensive side of the ball or you become the Ravens.

Colon needs to get a qualifying offer to keep him just one more year while we train his replacement in 2009.

Miller needs extended now and he won't be cheap.

Nate can walk unless he takes a hometown discount for $2-2.5M per year and we need to get a WR in the middle rounds.

ikestops85
02-18-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm not even convinced he is a good run blocker. He has shown flashes but how many times have we run behind him on 3rd and short? The answer is many times and how many have we converted? The answer is few. I can think of a few plays where he got blown up on our own goal line and we were lucky not to have a safety. I know he looked fairly good at the beginning of the year but as it progressed he seemed to get worse with the run blocking. His pass blocking did appear to improve from poor to fair. At best Kemo is a slightly below average guard who given time might become average.

aggiebones
02-18-2009, 12:55 PM
One of the best in the league?

He should have said. Kemo is one of the guards in the league. He's trying the time honored tradition of asking for the sun in hopes of the moon. Pittsburgh will let him walk if he can't accept something slightly above their original offer. He's a G. Steelers willl pay a guard normal guard money. We will not get into the Hutch/Dockery gaffs made by those teams. We let Fanica walk for similar. He is not better than Faneca.

grotonsteel
02-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Kemo was the weak link in that O-line. He needs to go. Interior O-line needs to be revamped.

Steelers FO please don't waste money on Kemo. Sign Max Starks. Draft A Mack or Duke in Rd1.

steelblood
02-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Kemo is not a good pulling guard, he is more of a RG in our system. He is too slow footed to be consistantly effective at pulling. He was late on several plays and actually knocked down the RB in the hole. Sure, if he gets there and finds a target, he is very effective (but those are both big ifs). He should have been the RG and the more mobile and athletic STapleton should have been the LG.

pittpete
02-18-2009, 01:43 PM
At best Kemo is a slightly below average guard who given time might become average

Kemo is not a good pulling guard, he is more of a RG in our system. He is too slow footed to be consistantly effective at pulling.

MaxAMillion
02-18-2009, 02:00 PM
At best Kemo is a slightly below average guard who given time might become average

Kemo is not a good pulling guard, he is more of a RG in our system. He is too slow footed to be consistantly effective at pulling.

Bingo! . The Steelers should not be afraid to upgrade the OL. We need to better than just decent. There are plenty of young OL who play at a higher level than Kemo.

grotonsteel
02-18-2009, 02:18 PM

Bingo! . The Steelers should not be afraid to upgrade the OL. We need to better than just decent. There are plenty of young OL who play at a higher level than Kemo.

:Agree

Mel Blount's G
02-18-2009, 03:13 PM
He isn't a finished project. The thing is, if the Steelers could get him under contract for what he has done versus what he could become...Sign him!!! If you can get him under contract long-term in the 2-2.5 starting range he is a bargain. Lay some incentives in their for starts & awards and he could develop and get paid. If his agent wants 4 mil, which is what I think he will want, let him walk. Not worth the "risk-reward" when you have a LT issues and Harrison, Miller, Colon, Washington, & McFadden looking for new contracts.I agree with this though I believe we will lose him if we don't budge past 2.5 mil.

- If ya'll feel 2-3 mil a year is a fair price for kemo, what do you consider a fair yearly salary for Starks?

- Are any of you who won't pay more than 2.5 for Kemo wanting to re-sign Marvel? If so, for what? How would you feel about letting starks, kemo and marvel all walk?

- Do you feel this (letting all 3 go) would help Ben take fewer hits (nevermind the run game for the puposes of this question) with who would be left (simmons, colon, stapleton, essex, hills, etc..), 2nd tier fa's and #32 and below ol drafts?

flippy
02-18-2009, 03:25 PM
I heard that Kemo's agent said he's releasing a new CD.

Oviedo
02-18-2009, 03:27 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1rxb94cw]He isn't a finished project. The thing is, if the Steelers could get him under contract for what he has done versus what he could become...Sign him!!! If you can get him under contract long-term in the 2-2.5 starting range he is a bargain. Lay some incentives in their for starts & awards and he could develop and get paid. If his agent wants 4 mil, which is what I think he will want, let him walk. Not worth the "risk-reward" when you have a LT issues and Harrison, Miller, Colon, Washington, & McFadden looking for new contracts.I agree with this though I believe we will lose him if we don't budge past 2.5 mil.

- If ya'll feel 2-3 mil a year is a fair price for kemo, what do you consider a fair yearly salary for Starks?

- Are any of you who won't pay more than 2.5 for Kemo wanting to re-sign Marvel? If so, for what? How would you feel about letting starks, kemo and marvel all walk?

- Do you feel this (letting all 3 go) would help Ben take fewer hits (nevermind the run game for the puposes of this question) with who would be left (simmons, colon, stapleton, essex, hills, etc..), 2nd tier fa's and #32 and below ol drafts?[/quote:1rxb94cw]

Supply and demand from Economics 101.

Starks is a LT which is the premium position on the OL. Finding someone who can play this position effectively is the hardest thing to do for the OL. Starks has proven he can be effective, if not great.

Kemo plays Guard which is about the easiest position in the NFL to replace. Big difference between him and Starks and the ability to fill a hole at the position they play.

Fair value for Starks is probably between $7-8M because that is the going market rate. For Kemo it is probably $2.5-3.5M.

If you think you are going to find a good LT for less than Starks would want then good luck. Starks is probably going to be the bargain LT this year in the free agent market.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-18-2009, 04:31 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":sjevbbbg]He isn't a finished project. The thing is, if the Steelers could get him under contract for what he has done versus what he could become...Sign him!!! If you can get him under contract long-term in the 2-2.5 starting range he is a bargain. Lay some incentives in their for starts & awards and he could develop and get paid. If his agent wants 4 mil, which is what I think he will want, let him walk. Not worth the "risk-reward" when you have a LT issues and Harrison, Miller, Colon, Washington, & McFadden looking for new contracts.I agree with this though I believe we will lose him if we don't budge past 2.5 mil.

- Do you feel this (letting all 3 go) would help Ben take fewer hits (nevermind the run game for the puposes of this question) with who would be left (simmons, colon, stapleton, essex, hills, etc..), 2nd tier fa's and #32 and below ol drafts?[/quote:sjevbbbg]

I wouldn't pay Kemo more than the 2.5...So I would let him walk. A fair price for Starks...From the Steelers would be 7.5 mil. If he wants to be over the 8 mil range I would look at Carey or Barnes before I give Starks that money. If all three are over 8 mil I would sign Smith and target a LT in Rd 1 or 2. Sign Essex as insurance. Most likely, we won't find a starting quality LT at #32. However, we could find a starting G in rounds 1-3 and possibly even someone could fall to the 4th that could start. That is why the max I spend on Kemo is 2.5. Having a LT in place before the draft will open up options. Simmons days here are numbered. If the draft falls nicely for the Steelers, Simmons might play his last year here in 2009. They won't release him this year unless he clearly can't play because of his injury but he will be a cap casualty come 2010 if the Steelers land a promsing G or a RT with Colon moving inside.

True Fan
02-18-2009, 05:12 PM
put aside that kemo's physical skills are mediocre at best, but his mental skills are what really hurts this team at times.............let him walk

pfelix73
02-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Kemo wasn't the weak link- Stapleton was.

Chadman
02-18-2009, 06:11 PM

No- they both were.

The Steelers couldn't run up the middle & couldn't convert short yardage in the Red Zone- two signs that the OG's are not doing their job.

Simmons to LG, Colon to RG or draft some big guys to fill the OG positions.

Losing Kemo could almost be an improvement by subtraction.

flippy
02-18-2009, 06:16 PM

No- they both were.

The Steelers couldn't run up the middle & couldn't convert short yardage in the Red Zone- two signs that the OG's are not doing their job.

How bout the guy between them?

Heck what about the guys outside of them?

It's always hard for me to tell who's to blame on a line. It really is a unit.

Sometime I notice poor technique or getting beaten physically.

But beyond that a lot is guessing without know the specific assignment.

Oviedo
02-18-2009, 06:37 PM

No- they both were.

How bout the guy between them?

On short yardage plays the defense was typically penetrating between LG and center and between RG and RT. Those were the gaps that were exploited the most.

I have to agree that Kemo and Stapleton were the weak links. If you recall FWP had two very strong rushing games before Simmons got hurt. Stapleton goes in and we can't run the ball anymore.

Heck what about the guys outside of them?

It's always hard for me to tell who's to blame on a line. It really is a unit.

Sometime I notice poor technique or getting beaten physically.

But beyond that a lot is guessing without know the specific assignment.

The problem was that Kemo and Stapleton got no push in short yardage and the defense was consistently able to exploit the gaps on either side of both of them for both run and pass blitzes.

fordfixer
02-19-2009, 01:05 AM

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09049/949849-66.stm

First published on February 18, 2009 at 12:00 am

eniparadoxgma
02-19-2009, 01:35 AM
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5536 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5536)

:nono

Damn I have too much time on my hands...

phillyesq
02-19-2009, 08:59 AM
http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5536

And I thought that Stlrz D was the self-appointed thread Nazi. :lol: :lol:

stlrz d
02-19-2009, 11:06 AM

I thought this one looked familiar but I was too lazy to search. :lol:

phillyesq
02-19-2009, 12:31 PM

Slacker! :lol:

stlrz d
02-19-2009, 01:07 PM

Slacker! :lol:

Hey, I'm unemployed...slackiness comes with the territory!